Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean World Series

Blog Entries

Caribbean World Series

The Caribbean World Series starts today at 17:00 EST on MLB Network. The teams are the Tigres de Aragua (Venezuela), Tigres de Licey (Dominican), Leones de Ponce (Puerto Rico) & Venados de Mazatlan (Mexico). All the games will be aired on MLB Network.

I'm interested in learning more. Where are the games being played and what is the format of the series?

G Man

Venezuela looks like they are going to be a tough team to score on. That was a pretty solid first game of the tournament.

Blog Entries
    I am watching the Puerto Rico vs Mexico game.

It is 1:25 a.m. here in Maryland so I am assuming that it is taped.

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector View Post
    I am watching the Puerto Rico vs Mexico game.

It is 1:25 a.m. here in Maryland so I am assuming that it is taped.
    Nah, i'm pretty sure the games are live. They are playing out in Mexicali, Mexico, in Baja California so they are in Pacific time, or 3 hours behind.

G Man

This MLB Network stuff is great and its free because i got DirecTV. Anyways, i got home from work and the Venz-DR game was going on. I found out all the games will be there in Mexicali and each teams plays every other team twice, so a 6 game round robin tourney, with a possible 7th game to break any possible ties.

That first game was a good one. The Oakland prospect, pitcher for Venz was ballin - they took him out with no hitter going in the 7th and reliever promptly gives up game tying 2 run bomb to Ronnie Belliard of all people. I saw Venz did end up winning 3-2 though. I'm still siding with DR to win it though.

G Man

Blog Entries
    I watched a little bit of both games last night and I'm a pretty excited about it. I love the idea of seeing stuff like this on MLBN and hope that it will continue for years to come.

I would love to se a tie breaker game between Mexico and DR on Sunday.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that current MLB'ers are playing in this series. I saw Adrian Gonzalez (of the Padres) in the Puerto Rico/ Mexico game.

Is this a early version of the WBC?

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector View Post
    I didn't know that current MLB'ers are playing in this series. I saw Adrian Gonzalez (of the Padres) in the Puerto Rico/ Mexico game.

Is this a early version of the WBC?
    The WBC is a completely different event. This is the Caribbean Series which has began in 1949 and has run all the way to this year (it was cancelled for about a decade back in the day when Castro was starting some crap). To me, the Caribbean Series is just as interesting if not more so then the WBC. A 7th game would be cool for sure. Definately hope MLBN continues programming like this.

G Man
    Last edited by jalbright; 02-05-2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: language

I certainly wish that Canada had access to the MLB Network. I for one would love to be watching the Serie Del Caribe right now. If for no other reason than to pretend its summer. That's what I always loved about Spring Training games, it was nice and warm in Florida or Arizona and made it seem like it wasn't -15C outside with a huge snow drift on the front lawn.

I wonder if the MLB Network intends to cover regular season games from the 4 winter leagues next year? It would be a good idea to get people familiar with the teams before the Serie Del Caribe.

One question regarding it, why do the teams become national teams during this tournament? What I mean is why are they not playing as Aragua or Mazatlan but rather Venezuela and Mexico? I realize they represent those leagues, but this would be like the Philadelphia Phillies playing in a tournament as Team USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
    I certainly wish that Canada had access to the MLB Network. I for one would love to be watching the Serie Del Caribe right now. If for no other reason than to pretend its summer. That's what I always loved about Spring Training games, it was nice and warm in Florida or Arizona and made it seem like it wasn't -15C outside with a huge snow drift on the front lawn.

I wonder if the MLB Network intends to cover regular season games from the 4 winter leagues next year? It would be a good idea to get people familiar with the teams before the Serie Del Caribe.

One question regarding it, why do the teams become national teams during this tournament? What I mean is why are they not playing as Aragua or Mazatlan but rather Venezuela and Mexico? I realize they represent those leagues, but this would be like the Philadelphia Phillies playing in a tournament as Team USA.
    Completely agree about your comments about ST. Its one of the main reasons i love it. It feels so wrong because you know its cold and snowy back home but you are sitting watching baseball with your shirt off. One of the great trips of the year. Where in Canada are you located? I am going down for ST in a couple weeks and as chance has it i will be seeing the Blue Jays 3 times included twice in Dunedin since the Reds happen to be there. I doubt the MLBN would cover regular season games, they could cover the tournaments for the 4 winter leagues though. Dont know if they would get enough viewership for the regular season games, but i would definately like to see them.

As for your last question, i dont know the answer but this is my idea. After the 4 winter league tourneys are over, teams can add players from other teams within their country before heading off to the Serie Del Caribe. May be one of the reasons why they go by the country name instead of the city name. Also, it makes them more recognizable for us gringos.

G Man

Also, the Venezuelan team won again last nite and went to 3-0. Mexico got 3 HRs from Padre Adrian Gonzalez to move to 2-1. DR plays VZ today and needs a W to stay in it.

G Man

If you like watching it come

I've attended three of the last four Caribbean World Series (Mazatlan, Mexico 2005, Carolina, Puerto Rico 2007, Santiago, Dominican Republic 2008). I'm headed out to Mexicali tomorrow for the last two days. Because it was in the park I visit about 20 times a year I didn't take the whole week off for it. But, today I booked my condo for next year's series in Isla Margarita, Venezuela. The Caribbean World Series is an amazing spectacle from a fan point of view. Usually the teams are down a little when they play in Mexico and that is the case this year with all but Mexico. The host country always puts together a strong team, but the D.R. is down this year from the past four.

I'm glad it is being televised. I don't speak Spanish, but I'm still watching the ESPN Deportes feed because I wasn't happy with the announcers on MLB network. If you can't get MLB network, but can get ESPN Deportes then do it. They show several games from October to the beginning of January and then one a night for the two weeks leading up to the Series.

Can't wait to get down there tomorrow. The rain has arrived in San Diego, as you can see if you are looking at the golf tournament at Torrey Pines, but it's not supposed to creep down into the desert until Saturday. Hopefull we get them all in. If Venezuela holds this lead against the D.R. and Mexico wins tonight tomorrow nights game would be a clincher possibility for Venezuela. It's good stuff. It's been hard not being there for the whole thing. It is a great event to attend, and for those freezing elsewhere in North America what a great winter getaway.

The reasons for the teams being Venezuela and not Aragua is because one they are meant to represent the country not the organization. The caribbean series was based on the interamerican series which features latin american teams and a US teams. But this was around 1946 were some of these countries didnt have a great deal of professional baseball so teams from Cuba would send a All cuban team rather then just a club team. Venezuela and Panama back then had maybe 3 4 pro teams, so pro baseball in venezuela and panama didnt have the same excitement so it made more sense to send a All venezuelan team rather then a pro team champion. Now in 1949 when the CWS took form, it had the same style send the best possible teams from caribbean countries as some caribbean countries didn't have well developed pro leagues. Yet later on most of these countries left, leaving only mexico, puerto rico, venezuela and dominican republic who now would send the winner of their country's league but could add players to their roster from other local teams. Also a main practical reason now is that some players go back to spring training and need to rebuild their rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
    Completely agree about your comments about ST. Its one of the main reasons i love it. It feels so wrong because you know its cold and snowy back home but you are sitting watching baseball with your shirt off. One of the great trips of the year. Where in Canada are you located? I am going down for ST in a couple weeks and as chance has it i will be seeing the Blue Jays 3 times included twice in Dunedin since the Reds happen to be there. I doubt the MLBN would cover regular season games, they could cover the tournaments for the 4 winter leagues though. Dont know if they would get enough viewership for the regular season games, but i would definately like to see them.
    I'm in Saskatoon and by no means a Jays fan. In fact, I've told this story on the Expos board before, I hate the Blue Jays. Strange little thing about my hometown, we had the only riot following the 1993 World Series win by the Blue Jays. Since my dad was working that night, as he was a cop here, he was out there in full force with the rioters. At one point 200 people decided that they were going to loot a liquor store, my dad was the only cop defending it. For some reason someone in that crowd decided it was a good idea to throw a circular saw blade at my dad. If he hadn't noticed it at the last second who knows how badly injured he would've been. So because their stupid fans decided to try and kill my father, I hope they never win again. As I am a diehard Expos (and a Nationals) fan, I also take a bit of pleasure in that day every season when the Jays are eliminated from contention.

However, I'm thinking perhaps next spring instead of taking a trip to some far flung country, my trip will be to Florida to see the Nats camp and take in some games in and around there too. If not that I would definitely be into heading somewhere for a Winter League game. Where is the Serie del Caribe next year?

Quote Originally Posted by quinnystar27 View Post
    The reasons for the teams being Venezuela and not Aragua is because one they are meant to represent the country not the organization. The caribbean series was based on the interamerican series which features latin american teams and a US teams. But this was around 1946 were some of these countries didnt have a great deal of professional baseball so teams from Cuba would send a All cuban team rather then just a club team. Venezuela and Panama back then had maybe 3 4 pro teams, so pro baseball in venezuela and panama didnt have the same excitement so it made more sense to send a All venezuelan team rather then a pro team champion. Now in 1949 when the CWS took form, it had the same style send the best possible teams from caribbean countries as some caribbean countries didn't have well developed pro leagues. Yet later on most of these countries left, leaving only mexico, puerto rico, venezuela and dominican republic who now would send the winner of their country's league but could add players to their roster from other local teams. Also a main practical reason now is that some players go back to spring training and need to rebuild their rosters.
    That makes sense. I had heard talk a couple years ago about the Colombian champ being included in the tournament. Is this still a possibility or has that gone by the wayside?

Yes it is true about Colombia joining, though colombia problem is that the pro league there is not that big. Instead Colombia focuses on Team Renteria, developing baseball in colombia. Whether there is sufficient support and skill for colombia to play against the Venezuelas and DRs is debatable but the sentiment is they have to start somewhere. I think right now they are focusing on developing talent rather then proving themselves on the world stage. I find Cuba joining the CWS again more viable due to Raul Castro wanting to demonstrate cuba worth in the sporting world. Also I think Cuba is going to notice national team players departing for MLB is going to grow after the success of Ramirez and other players.

I'm in Saskatoon and by no means a Jays fan. In fact, I've told this story on the Expos board before, I hate the Blue Jays. Strange little thing about my hometown, we had the only riot following the 1993 World Series win by the Blue Jays. Since my dad was working that night, as he was a cop here, he was out there in full force with the rioters. At one point 200 people decided that they were going to loot a liquor store, my dad was the only cop defending it. For some reason someone in that crowd decided it was a good idea to throw a circular saw blade at my dad. If he hadn't noticed it at the last second who knows how badly injured he would've been. So because their stupid fans decided to try and kill my father, I hope they never win again. As I am a diehard Expos (and a Nationals) fan, I also take a bit of pleasure in that day every season when the Jays are eliminated from contention.

However, I'm thinking perhaps next spring instead of taking a trip to some far flung country, my trip will be to Florida to see the Nats camp and take in some games in and around there too. If not that I would definitely be into heading somewhere for a Winter League game. Where is the Serie del Caribe next year?
    Nats camp is very nice. Its close to Orlando so you have the Braves and Astros there too. Down the coast you got Mets and Marlins/Cards too. Plus a visit to Cocoa Beach is fun. Dont know where the Serie del Caribe is going to be next year....

G MAn

I would love to see Cuba get back into the series. Anyhow, Venezuela beat the Dominican last night again. Mexico took down PR so it sets up a showdown today. If VZ beats MX for a second time, the series is clinched. Otherwise we have a two way tie at the top.

G Man

Blog Entries
    These have been some of the best games I've watched in a long time. All of the games are close, they are all competitive and they are all (most importantly) fun. I will definitely be going to see a Caribbean World Series in the future.

That is something I would not have thought about had it not been for MLBN.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

It was pretty cool seeing Bill Pulsipher pitching for Puerto Rico last night. Does he live there now? Hes still only 31 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie Fox View Post
    These have been some of the best games I've watched in a long time. All of the games are close, they are all competitive and they are all (most importantly) fun. I will definitely be going to see a Caribbean World Series in the future.

That is something I would not have thought about had it not been for MLBN.
    Cool... I hope MLBN continues to show live games from a variety of leagues and tournaments. Minor league all-star games and playoff games would be nice.

I wish I was getting the channel...

Blog Entries
    Congrats to Venezuela!

What a great game tonight!

Allie Fox that was my fourth Caribbean World Series. I've seen it twice in Mexico, and in Puerto Rico and the Dominican. I have already booked my condo for next year in Venezuela. The Series is a great event, and if you enjoyed the coverage, WHICH WAS HORRIBLE BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT THERE, THEY WERE IN NEW JERSEY, then you'll love it in person. My friend tried to find the MLBN booth to find Cookie Rojas, but we were told they were broadcasting it from New Jersey. That's why it was so bad. The women at these events are amazing. That Venezuela/Mexico game was so loud. Next year on Day 3, when Venezuela hosts the Dominican Republic, it is going to be INSANE. Everybody should get to one of these!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post
    Allie Fox that was my fourth Caribbean World Series. I've seen it twice in Mexico, and in Puerto Rico and the Dominican. I have already booked my condo for next year in Venezuela. The Series is a great event, and if you enjoyed the coverage, WHICH WAS HORRIBLE BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT THERE, THEY WERE IN NEW JERSEY, then you'll love it in person. My friend tried to find the MLBN booth to find Cookie Rojas, but we were told they were broadcasting it from New Jersey. That's why it was so bad. The women at these events are amazing. That Venezuela/Mexico game was so loud. Next year on Day 3, when Venezuela hosts the Dominican Republic, it is going to be INSANE. Everybody should get to one of these!!
    You know, i didnt even know they werent there. That is pretty odd. I guess they didnt wanna fly out broadcasters for the week? I heard its down in VZ next year. I definately would be interested in going, it sounds awesome.

G Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast