Thread: Newark Bears

Newark Bears

This team had a new ballpark and incepted about 15 years ago

They started well and I had the impression they were part of the minor league comeback of the last 20 years

Last year, granted in a rundown city but pretty near to well traveled public transit hubs, I checked, and , and now in the Can-Am league, they averaged 453 fans a game

to me unreal

Newark's just a subway trip away from the major leagues, so why see a lowest-rung team in a lousy neighborhood? Their graphics and uniforms are terrible as well, so they would never get the amount of people buying their hats and shirts like the Brooklyn Cyclones did. Souvenir sales are a huge part of keeping a low level team in the black. I am from the area and would gladly sport some nice Newark Bears shirts or caps, but they are embarassingly done. It was a good idea to brink baseball back, but very poorly executed and they blew their chances at a revitalization of Newark baseball.
    See My Baseball Card Project: www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

See My Vintage Sports Posters: www.cieradkowskidesign.blogspot.com

I attend about 25-30 minor league games/year. Usually 5-6 of those games are Independent League games. There are 2 teams close to where I live. Schaumburg Boomers and Joliet Slammers. I also see the St Paul Saints about once a year. From what I am able to discern, the economic collapse of 2008-2009 has wreaked havoc on Independent League baseball. It appears that attendance was much better prior to the collapse. they don't appear to have recovered. I got to see a Can-Am League game in Rockland last year. Beautiful ballpark. The league is down to 5 teams. I think they're going to have to consolidate with the American Association or perhaps the Atlantic League, although the Atlantic and Can-Am leagues have different approaches to the game. Quite a few Independent teams have collapsed. Quite a few more are on the brink of economic failure. I imagine it will eventually achieve some sort of equilibrium that will have far fewer teams and leagues than currently exist. I do enjoy the product they put on the field.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Unlike the New Jersey Devils who located their arena less than two blocks from the convenient and cheap PATH trains, which connects Newark to lower Manhattan all the way up to 34th Street and the Madison Square Garden area (edge of mid-town) Bears & Eagles Stadium is located on the other side of downtown and is near a rather expensive rali line that connects NYC with some rather far flung NJ suburbs. It's of virtually no advantage to people who would want to catch a Newark Bears game and driving by car remained the easiest way to reach the stadium.

PS: Back in the late 1930s and 1940s the Newark Bears, NY Yankees' AAA affiliate was such a strong minor league team that it could have replaced a few of the AmericanLleague's weak sisters like the Philadelphia Athletics, the Washington Senators, or the St.Louis Browns. If you had English Pro soccer league rules, where the bottom teams are dropped to a lower division the following year and the strongest team(s) can advance to a higher division, the Bears teams were strong enough that they could have jumped to the major leagues. They were like a factory cranking out finished products for the Yankees.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 04-28-2014 at 06:01 AM.

I just read a story that appeared in the Newark Star Ledger this week. Apparently the Newark
    Bears team is not only out of business, but they held an auction this week where they sold everything ranging from hot dog and pretzel stands, restaurant equipment, beer dispensing equipment, exercise equipment, and even the team bus was up for auction.

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds
    People would have been more likely to attend Newark Bears games if they had been an I. L. franchise, and a farm team for the Yankees or Mets, IMO. That way, fans could have, at more reasonable prices, seen players who were either future or previous MLB players that they had some interest in. The Can-Am league is an independent minor league, is it not? Newark, and Metro New Jersey has been, at times, considered a spot for expansion; seeing anonymous minor leaguers is unlikely to be the cup of tea for folks who'd be interested in minor league baseball in Newark.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bear View Post
    People would have been more likely to attend Newark Bears games if they had been an I. L. franchise, and a farm team for the Yankees or Mets, IMO. That way, fans could have, at more reasonable prices, seen players who were either future or previous MLB players that they had some interest in. The Can-Am league is an independent minor league, is it not? Newark, and Metro New Jersey has been, at times, considered a spot for expansion; seeing anonymous minor leaguers is unlikely to be the cup of tea for folks who'd be interested in minor league baseball in Newark.
    I believe that Newark is within the "territory" of both the Yankees and Mets, meaning that approval would be needed from both major league teams for an affiliated franchise to be located there. There is really no chance that an affiliated team at a high level will be located that close to the city. (The Brooklyn Cyclones are not at a high-enough level to be a distraction for any Yankee fans.) A few years back, when the Bears were in the Atlantic League, they had Jose Canseco for a while and then Rickey Henderson. I don't know what the attendance figures were then, but this is the kind of player that could potentially draw fans to a minor-league game in Newark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bear View Post
    Very true. For several years I lived close enough to Newark, NJ so that it would have been an easy trip to a attend Bears games, but going to see an Independent League team that had no affiliation with major league clubs had no appeal to me.