Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern Association Memories

Zoeller played from 1920-1932.

Some of My Pics

Thought I would dig out a few interesting photos....especially the 2 Birmingham ones. The 1928 Barons had one helluva team...team batting average of .331 and check out these...Elliott Bigelow .395, Yam Yaryan .389, Max Rosenfeld .344, Ernest Shirley .342 and James Johnston .338....How awsome can you get!!! On the 1921 Birmingham photo check out future HOF Pie Traynor fourth from left. Oh well enjoy and I'll try and post some Memphis stuff on my Chicks thread later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the 1921 Birmingham photo posted above I am assuming its at Rickwood does anybody know for sure ? By the way somebody needed to give that team the name of a good laundry. Love that game wear.

2011 Southern Association Baseball Conference

Does anyone know if they have set a date, place, speakers, etc. for the annual Southern Association Conference ? If so please post any availabe info. Thanks.

Southern Association memories

Chicks' Pres. Nat Buring and Chicks' manager Luke Appling from the late fifties.

Southern Association Memories

Two pelican favorites, Jack Ward, 1930 and "Stormy" Roy Weatherly. Weatherly played in the majors.

Les Burge 1939 and Earl Wooten, Crackers, 1952.

2011 Southern Association Baseball Conference

Does anyone want to report on the 2011 Southern Association Conference held a few weeks ago in Birmingham?

SA Memories

Johnny Dobbs had a very good career managing several teams in the old Southern Association, Memphis, Birmingham and New Orleans and Chattanooga.

SA Memories

Pelicans manager, Charlie Frank with members of his 1905 team.

Blog Entries

Post Baseball in Memphis

My new book Baseball in Memphis will be released on March 26th. This is my second Arcadia Book. I look forward to spending a lot of time in Memphis this spring and summer.[IMG]pictures[/IMG]

I just wrote a story on my website about Nick Cullop and his time with the 1925 Atlanta Crackers... Here is the drawing I did to go with it:
    http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i..._Atlanta_2.jpg
    See My Baseball Card Project: www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

See My Vintage Sports Posters: www.cieradkowskidesign.blogspot.com

Cannot wait to read it!
    God created baseball; it's scriptural: "In the big inning..." (Genesis 1:1)

1933 Texas League program, San Antonio hosting the winners of the Southern Association, New Orleans Pelicans, who defeated the Missions, for the Dixie Series Championship. The first of two for the Pelicans, who came back to defet the Galveston team the next year. Second photo is Jess Levan, 1959 Chattanooga Lookouts, along with Waldo Gonzales, were thrown out of baseball for throwing games. Gonzales, appealed, and given a one year off.

Pete modica from New Orleans, pitched for New Orleans, Nashville, Birmingham and Atlanta. In 1954, he split time with Nashville/Atlanta, earning a championship ring with the Crackers. A picture of his ring.

My fondest memories as a child were attending games at Sulphur Dell in Nashville. The Vols were in their final years in the Southern, and they had some decent players that would become Major Leaguers for Cincinnati and the Los Angeles Angels.

My dad and uncle told me of the greatest team in SA history, the Vols of 1940. They started the season with a winning streak and stayed in first place on every day of the season, winning more than 100 games. They swept through the SA Playoffs and won the Dixie Series against the Texas League Champion.

The one thing about being a Nashvol fan was the stadium. Sulphur Dell was the craziest place to watch a game. Our seats behind home plate were about 30 feet away from the umpire. You could talk to him, the catcher, and the batter. Duke Sims was a good talker.

What made our park was the most unique right field in history. The field began to gain in elevation just past first base. It rose for several feet and then leveled out in a little shelf, where the right fielder would align. Then, it rose sharply to the fence. It was just over 250 down the line, with a tall fence. Left-handed hitters learned to golf the ball over the fence, and many could smack a ball outside the park and onto the roof of the ice house that stood across the street.

Ted Williams was at bat in a Vols-Red Sox exhibition and pulled a hard liner to the right field wall. He started to jog out the hit, and the Bosox 1b coach had to tell him to hurry. The ball ricocheted off the fence and rolled hard and fast to the Vol right fielder, who almost threw him out at first.

I remember one season where one of the Vols base coaches was forced to be activated late in the year. I cannot remember his name, but I made a snide remark loud enough to hear that he needed his walking cane more than a baseball bat. He turned around and replied, "Don't you think I know that." Everybody in the area near where we sat broke out in laughter, and the batting coach, catcher, and umpire all laughed as well. The old geezer belted a line drive double in the left-center gap, and the fans in the stands near me told me it was because of me that he got the hit. He was relaxed from laughing. All these years later, I think the catcher tipped him off that the pitcher was going to send a fat one right down the pike so he could hit it.

To say that Greer Stadium sucks in comparison to Sulphur Dell is a vast understatement. There are two dozen high school fields in this area better than the playing field at Greer. The clubhouses are worse than the clubhouses at the Polo Grounds in 1957.

Sulphur Dell Color.jpgsulphur dell rf2.jpgSulphur Dell RF.jpgSulphur Dell_1b.jpgsulphur.jpg

2013 Southern Association Conference

....Did anyone out there attend this years conference....I believe it was held In Birmingham again....if so how bout a report and any pics would be great....Thanks.

Sulphur Dell

Way to go Wes....Great memories of a Legendary Ballpark....Thats what this thread is all about-Memories-Just remember they cant take our memories away from us so lets treasure them.....Wish I had made it to the Dell back in the day.

Here are two. Larry Gilbert, manager of the New Orleans Pelicans, along with his older son, Larry Jr., about 1936. And Luke Appling, manager of the Memphis Chicks, c.1959, in Cuba. Do not know what the occasion was, but he is not shaking hands with Castro. Larry Jr., had a short career in the minors, passing away in 1941 at a young age.

1955 Southern Association All-Star Game, Rickwood Field, Birmingham, Ala. Jim Lemon was the hitting star that night, hitting four home runs, racking up 16 total bases, as he led the SA All-Stars over the Birmingham Barons, 10-5 in front of 19,830.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast