Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Association Memories

Southern Association Memories

As I already have a thread devoted to the Memphis Chicks and their ballpark Russwood, I thought it would be interesting to start a new one on the whole Southern Association. This historical league which produced so much fine talent including many HOF started in 1901 and lasted until 1961. It consisted mainly of teams from Memphis, Little Rock, New Orleans, Mobile, Birmingham, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga & Atlanta with a few others scattered through the years. Anything you have to post pertaining to the league go ahead whether it be photos of players, tickets, balls, etc. or simple discussion is welcome, after all its all about the memories and history of this grand Old League. I'll get it started with a few scorecards....
    Attached Images Attached Images

SA Memories

Just wanted to say hello. Originnaly from the Crescent City,(NO.) now living in Memphis, TN. Been a big fan of the teams in the Association. I got my education of the league, especially the history of the Pelicans from a good friend of mine and mentor, Arthur Schott. Being from N.O., I took photos of the places that the birds once called home throughout the city. The location of Heinemann Park, later called Pelican Stadium was my favorite. I was born two years after the birds went out of business, and the same year the league folded. My loss.
    Been to the site of Russwood park several times. Got what I think is a good shot of the marker as to where Russwood once stood. Believe it or not, there is no marker where Pelican Stadium once stood. Sad. Many great players as we all know came out of the league. Love those shots of the score cards. Hope to chat with you sometime.

Thanks and welcome to the thread....I was fortunate enough to see many of the teams play at Russwood mid 50's until the fire...It was definately a different brand of minor league ball back then. The New Orleans program that I posted was actually scored...Written inside is the date of 6-27-59. Supposedly a New Orleans pitcher by the name of Kildoo beat Birmingham 5 to 0 and pitched a no-hitter. I haven't researched this out yet....maybe somebody out there can verify this.

Chicks1957....Per your advice I'm posting some info on
    the 2009 Southern Association Conference.
    I will post the full press release in a seperate topic in this section.

The Friends of Rickwood Field announce the 6th Annual Southern Association Conference to be held in Birmingham at historic Rickwood Field, on Saturday, March 7, 2009. This year’s conference will focus primarily on the history of the Southern Association All-star Game.

Saturday’s activities will be held at Rickwood Field, and will begin at 9:00 a.m. (central), and will feature presentations by authors and researchers, as well as collector exhibits. Rickwood will also be hosting a local tournament on Saturday, so there will be baseball on the diamond.

For registration info: Contact : David Brewer [mailto:david@rickwood.com]

For anyone who has never been to these conference, you are missing a great time

Chicks1957:

Don Kiddo of New Orleans pitched a no-hitter against the Barons on Friday, June 26, 1959 at City Park Stadium,(home of the Pelicans, 1958-1959). He struck out 8, walked 6 in front of 1,425. That was the last no-hitter by a Pelican pitcher. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the information. I re-checked the scorecard and looked in Marshall Wright's Book...Both have the spelling of his name as Don Kildoo....I will be posting some interesting pics soon...Thanks again.

Did any members attend this year's Southern Association Conference held recently in Birmingham? If so how about reporting how things went such as activities, guest speakers, ex-players, etc. If you have any pics by all means feel free to post. Thanks

SA Memories

Memphis Chicks, 1943 or 1944.

Blog Entries

2010 Southern association conference

Quote Originally Posted by Chicks1957 View Post
    Did any members attend this year's Southern Association Conference held recently in Birmingham? If so how about reporting how things went such as activities, guest speakers, ex-players, etc. If you have any pics by all means feel free to post. Thanks
    The 2010 conference was held March 6th at Rickwood Field. The primary focus of the conference was the 100th anniversary of Rickwood Field. A H Woodward III spoke about his grandfather building the park. Alex Grammas former Memphis Chick was our player guest. Grammas was the highlight of the day. John Simpson talked about his book "Greatest Game Ever Played in Dixie".
    Derby Gisclair presented Joe Jackson and the 1910 Pelicans. David Brewer review the building of Rickwood Field.

Thanks memphiskip....Sounds like a great conference. I always say I am going this year but something always seems to come up and mess me up. Was there any exhibits by the various collectors ? By the way are you located here in memphis like myself ? Thanks again for the info.

Hi melott. Great photo...Good find is it a 8 x 10 ? Just love those old Chick team pics. Its been a while since we chatted on here...Good to hear from you and lets get this thread going again. I plan on posting some more stuff on both this thread and my Chicks and Russwood thread as well...just need to find the time. Anybody out there interested in the old Southern Association join in and share either your memories or any memorbilia as well.

Great thread, Chicks1957. Don't really have much to add, was to young to have gone to Russwood. My dad has told many stories of the great old ballpark. My memories of Tim McCarver aren't quite as fond, as yours are of Russwood, I'm quite certain. I have had the opportunity over the last 2 years to visit Rickwood. My oldest son has played there a couple of times. I sat there and envisioned what it must have been like watching a game in the 20's or 30's. Must've been unbelieveable.

Some really great stuff you have there

Thanks for the posts UM2020 and PGS...Tim McCarver stadium was ok but you are right it wasn't Russwood. Although some great talent came through there...Tim Raines, Gary Carter, Ken Singleton just to name a few. I have quite a few other items in my collection I plan on posting on here just trying to find the time....In the mean time hoping some others might post some pics or just join in with memories about the Grand Old League.

Hall of Famer KiKi Cuyler did a stint as Atlanta manager. Abner Powell, one of the founders of the old Southern association, Al Lary of Memphis.

Southern Association memories

1912 Memphis and 1904 Memphis teams.

1915 Pelicans.

Look at those 1915 New Orleans uniform jerseys. Would love to see one.....wonder if any exist in private collections or museums. Really cool.

Pelican first baseman Al Flair hit 24 home runs for the Pels in 1947. Aj. Heinemann, President of the Pels, Judge Landis, and Jake Atz, manager of the Ft. Worth team.

Frank Zoeller, Atlanta Crackers. Did two stints for the Crackers and also played for Little Rock. 19201932. .293 avg. Contract picked up by the New York Yankees in 1925, but never played in the Big Show. 1927 Pelicans, Larry Gilbert, manager.

Zoeller played from 1920-1932.

Some of My Pics

Thought I would dig out a few interesting photos....especially the 2 Birmingham ones. The 1928 Barons had one helluva team...team batting average of .331 and check out these...Elliott Bigelow .395, Yam Yaryan .389, Max Rosenfeld .344, Ernest Shirley .342 and James Johnston .338....How awsome can you get!!! On the 1921 Birmingham photo check out future HOF Pie Traynor fourth from left. Oh well enjoy and I'll try and post some Memphis stuff on my Chicks thread later.

On the 1921 Birmingham photo posted above I am assuming its at Rickwood does anybody know for sure ? By the way somebody needed to give that team the name of a good laundry. Love that game wear.

2011 Southern Association Baseball Conference

Does anyone know if they have set a date, place, speakers, etc. for the annual Southern Association Conference ? If so please post any availabe info. Thanks.

Chicks' Pres. Nat Buring and Chicks' manager Luke Appling from the late fifties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast