X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockhound
    • Oct 2006

Jedi

How do you guys think Jed Lowrie will do in 2009? Will he be able to stay out of the minors?
  • Mike D.
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Rockhound View Post
    How do you guys think Jed Lowrie will do in 2009? Will he be able to stay out of the minors?
    I think he's got a good shot of winning the shortstop job coming out of camp. It's too early, but I think he'll be given a fair shot at it, anyway.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Imgran
      • Dec 2007

Woe betide us when Scaffolds finds this thread.

Jed Lowrie will be our starting SS for most or all of 2009, barring some kind of injury. He's got slightly above average range and very good hands defensively, and if he can avoid hurting his wrist he's nearly the same kind of offensive prospect Pedroia was (although Pedroialike results are far from guaranteed!).

Once upon a time those two were considered the most talented shortstops in their conference. Now one is our 2B and one will probably be our SS.

Lugo will get some starts at SS but I look forward to those two being our up the middle duo for many years to come.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
        US Air Force Retired
        • Jun 2003

i disagree. Lugo will win the SS comp IMO. Lowrie will get plenty of playing time as the utility guy.

Comment

• Mike D.
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
          i disagree. Lugo will win the SS comp IMO. Lowrie will get plenty of playing time as the utility guy.
          Do you think that Lugo will outhit and outfield Lowrie in camp, or do you think he'll get the job because he's a vet and makes a lot more money?

Maybe the Sox will get lucky and someone will have a shortstop go down and they'll take Lugo off our hands. Then we can bring in more traditional "utility" guy to back up Lowrie.

Comment

• Rockhound
            • Oct 2006

Thanks for the input guys. I see Lugo as a pinch runner

Comment

• Mike D.
              • Feb 2006

Thanks for the input guys. I see Lugo as a pinch runner
              He can pinch run for Varitek in the late innings of close games, then Bard/Kottaras can come in and catch the rest of the game!

Probably the best role for Lugo, although not the best way to spend $9 million a year.

Comment

• Dogdaze
                2004, 2007 & 2013
                • Oct 2006

I think Lowrie has an excellent chance of being named the starting SS for the Sox, and even if isn't named as the starter, he definately won't be going down to the minors.

I hear Lugo has worked hard during the offseason, putting on some muscle and is anxious to prove himself. But that doesn't mean he'll beat Lowrie out.

My guess at this time is Lugo will be given an opportunity to prove himself and will be named the starting SS out of ST, but I think Lugo will eventually lose the job to Lowrie who I believe will finish the year as the Sox starting SS.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                  US Air Force Retired
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                  Do you think that Lugo will outhit and outfield Lowrie in camp, or do you think he'll get the job because he's a vet and makes a lot more money?

Maybe the Sox will get lucky and someone will have a shortstop go down and they'll take Lugo off our hands. Then we can bring in more traditional "utility" guy to back up Lowrie.
                  I think right now Lugo is a better player. Lowrie is a young guy who filled in very nicely last year. I also think that if all things are equal, Lugo gets the job. If Lowrie outplays Lugo by a wide margin in ST, then the Sox will eat salary and trade Lugo...i just do not see it happening this year (and i like Lowrie a lot!)

Comment

• Mike D.
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                    I think right now Lugo is a better player. Lowrie is a young guy who filled in very nicely last year. I also think that if all things are equal, Lugo gets the job. If Lowrie outplays Lugo by a wide margin in ST, then the Sox will eat salary and trade Lugo...i just do not see it happening this year (and i like Lowrie a lot!)
                    The big thing that I'm worried about with Lugo is his defense. He's never been great at SS, and last year he was downright awful. He does offer more speed on the basepaths than Lowrie, which is a plus for him.

Comment

• efin98
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                      That is the only scenario barring injury to Lugo. He is costing them too much money to sit on the bench, he will play until he is hurt. Lowrie will be their utility infielder only if he makes the team(which he still has yet to do!).

That has about as much chance of happening as a major league team picking up Oil Can Boyd. It ain't happening. He will be with Boston until his contract runs out next year.
                      Last edited by efin98; 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM.
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Dirt Dog
                        Hardball Warrior
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                        He is costing them too much money to sit on the bench, he will play until he is hurt. Lowrie will be their utility infielder only if he makes the team.
                        That's what I think will happen too. Lugo's contract has to be one of Theo's big boo boos. Lowrie can definitely throw the leather around when healthy. I can see Lowrie becoming that utility IF for now, and he's working out at 3B too during spring training.

Comment

• Imgran
                          • Dec 2007

Lowrie's versatility buys Lugo some time, but if Julio can't hit better than he has in the last 2 years Lowrie needs to have every chance to claim the SS job for himself.

Comment

• Edgar.Martinez
                            • Jul 2006

Trade Lugo for Hanley Ramirez or Yuniesky Betancourt.

Comment

• efin98
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                              Lowrie's versatility buys Lugo some time, but if Julio can't hit better than he has in the last 2 years Lowrie needs to have every chance to claim the SS job for himself.
                              If he doesn't prove himself this year he will probably find himself DFAed or just outright released...they will not have as much to pay and by that time Lowrie will be developed enough at the major league level from this year's experience on the bench to play every day
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X