X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

2009 pre-season

I don't know if this is the right forum to talk about that, but I'm a big Cards(or better Pujols) fan. I really hope the make the post season again this year.

Is anyone interested in discussion spring training games and how we see the form of our team and what can be improved? If not feel free to delete it.
    Of course it's just offseason, but maybe one can see some tendencies.

Yesterday I saw the game against the Mets. Cards won 9:8!
    The offense worked quite well(but also capitalising on weak Mets pitching). Pujols looked fit also and many players managed to hit.
    Of course pitching is a big concern for the cards, IMO Cards pitching is not on top of the MLB.

What do you think about schumaker on second?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.
  • Bothrops Atrox
    IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    I don't know if this is the right forum to talk about that, but I'm a big Cards(or better Pujols) fan. I really hope the make the post season again this year.

Is anyone interested in discussion spring training games and how we see the form of our team and what can be improved? If not feel free to delete it.
    Of course it's just offseason, but maybe one can see some tendencies.

Yesterday I saw the game against the Mets. Cards won 9:8!
    The offense worked quite well(but also capitalising on weak Mets pitching). Pujols looked fit also and many players managed to hit.
    Of course pitching is a big concern for the cards, IMO Cards pitching is not on top of the MLB.

What do you think about schumaker on second?

As typical, lots of "ifs" on the team. If Carp is healthy, and if a closer imerges, and if The Uncle Skippy at 2B experiment works, this team will challenge for a playoff spot. Why? With a helathy Carp and Rasmus in the OF with Shcumacher playing a good second base... having Wellemeyer as a #4 starter means a very deep staff. The offense will be good baring any major injuries, and the bullpen will be much improved this years. Don't underestimate the return of Kinney.

Or...Carp is hurt, we have no closer, the middle infield lacks any range whatsoever, and we have no outfielder who can hit lefties. Then we are looking at a 4th place team.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• deadball-era-rules
      • Jun 2008

I personally don't put much stock in a team's spring training production. I think that the 09 Cards will be fun to watch this year, but don't count on them being significantly better than last year. I know everyone likes to think that it's their team's year, but I think that a level-headed evaluation of the team shows that they'll probably win more games than they'll lose, but that's about it. They might make it to the playoffs, but they probably won't deserve to be there (just like in 2006).

The specifics.

I think that Schumaker at second will be interesting to see. I think he's a good athlete, but even an exceptionally good ballplayer will make some miscues when making such a drastic shift in position. Don't expect him to get any help from the man on the other side of second either. I feel better about Skip at 2B than I do about Khalil Greene at short. Green is a BUM. He can't hit or field- the Cards' worst acquisition of the offseason.

That being said, I think the Cards will be better off in other areas. First, there's pitching. I'm glad to see that Izzy is finaly gone. Perez is a young pitcher, but some youth will do the club some good. Of course, Carpenter being back will be good, although he isn't going to set the world on fire like he did back in 2005. There are also stalwarts like Pujols, Molina and Ankiel out there. I like our outfield, even though I'm a little suspicious of the chemical composition of the center fielder's muscles...

Position by position:
      Starting Pitching- + thanks to Carp and a constatnly improving Wainwright.

Relief Pitching- + thanks to guys like Thompson and Franklin having plenty of work last season to learn from and the absence of Incompotent Izzy.

Infield- - thanks to a lousy shortstop and a 2B in transition. Double plays make contenders, and I'm expecting to see many DP's not getting turned that should be turned. Pujols will keep being Pujols, Molina will keep being Molina, and Glaus- will keep being medicore.

Outfield- = no change in my opinion, just because not much has changed. Duncan, Ankiel and Ludwick are all solid. I'm curious to see if Ludwick can equal his numbers from last season or not. I don't doubt his ability- he's a hard worker. Ankiel is as good an all-around performer as a team could hop to have.

They'll be a good team, but don't expect 90+ wins.

Comment

• dominik
        • Oct 2008

I don't believe they make 90 wins either. They need much luck luck to make the playoffs. I see quite some potential in their hitting(+pujols of course), but their biggest ? is their pitching IMO. IF anything goes right their pitching could be OK(not more I think but there are a lot of things that must come together for this to happen.

I want them to be in the PO but I'm very sceptical.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
          IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
          • Feb 2005

I don't believe they make 90 wins either. They need much luck luck to make the playoffs. I see quite some potential in their hitting(+pujols of course), but their biggest ? is their pitching IMO. IF anything goes right their pitching could be OK(not more I think but there are a lot of things that must come together for this to happen.

I want them to be in the PO but I'm very sceptical.
          Playing in the weak NL, they might not need to win 90 games to win a wild card spot. Look around the NL, the Cubs are the class of the NLC, and the Mets and Philies look very good in the east - then there are about 6-7 other teams that could all win the Wild Card if the Mets or phils flame out or are hit ahrd by injuries. the Cardinals are drfinmitely one of those teams.

deadball -you seem quite sure that Duncan will be starting in the OF. Are you sure about that?
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• metsforever7515
            Split STH Prom 516 Row 1
            • Nov 2008

I'm down in Florida and I was at the last 2 Cardinals games. They look pretty good. Beat my Mets.

Anyway, I got some good pictures today. I was first row behind home plate at Roger Dean Stadium.

This was Pujols' double today:

Thought you guys might appreciate the picture.
            "You're killin' me Smalls!"

Comment

• dominik
              • Oct 2008

Fantastic, pro quality. Are you a professional photographer?

Comment

• metsforever7515
                Split STH Prom 516 Row 1
                • Nov 2008

Fantastic, pro quality. Are you a professional photographer?
                Nope, thanks though. I just had great seats and I just got lucky yesterday.

Here's one of Pujols from the Mets v. Cardinals game on Friday:

Kinda blurry, camera didn't auto focus.

Comment

• dominik
                  • Oct 2008

What camera do you use?

Comment

• deadball-era-rules
                    • Jun 2008

deadball -you seem quite sure that Duncan will be starting in the OF. Are you sure about that?
                    No, I'm not sure about that. I think we are just as likely to see Colby Rasmus out there, and maybe even Skip will make an appearance when not at 2B. I'd be happy with any of those options. Duncan isn't the smoothest outfielder, and when he's in a funk he is useless at the plate, although he is usually a pretty good ballplayer. I like Rasmus a lot, even though there are a lot of guys out there with more talent.

Comment

• g-mac
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by deadball-era-rules View Post
                      No, I'm not sure about that. I think we are just as likely to see Colby Rasmus out there, and maybe even Skip will make an appearance when not at 2B. I'd be happy with any of those options. Duncan isn't the smoothest outfielder, and when he's in a funk he is useless at the plate, although he is usually a pretty good ballplayer. I like Rasmus a lot, even though there are a lot of guys out there with more talent.
                      I hate to sound down on Duncan, but I think I'd feel more comfortable with Rasmus getting a shot in his spot.

Comment

• deadball-era-rules
                        • Jun 2008

I hate to sound down on Duncan, but I think I'd feel more comfortable with Rasmus getting a shot in his spot.
                        I think you say that with good reason. Duncan often looks like a rampaging water buffalo in the outfield and can at times look uglier than Jim Edmonds at his worst when hacking away at the plate. Rasmus might not be as great as Duncan is when he's hot, but Rasmus' overall, consistent ouput makes him a better choice for an outfield spot. I think you're right g-mac.

Comment

• metsforever7515
                          Split STH Prom 516 Row 1
                          • Nov 2008

What camera do you use?
                          Cannon Powershot SD750. 7.1 Megapixels. Nothing fancy.

Comment

• g-mac
                            • Jan 2009

Sorry about going off topic, but I had to give you props for this. I love that quote! It's been a quote used around our house "for-ev-er".

Comment

• CardsFan1982
                              • Oct 2008

If Duncan keeps hitting in ST I think he deserves a spot. Whether it's starting or as a platoon he deserves it. When the guy is healthy he's capable of hitting 30+ HRs and hits close to .300 . Even with sub par defense it's hard to keep that kind of bat out of the lineup.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X