Page 54 of 154 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3832

Thread: 2013 World Baseball Classic

I like Regensburg as a choice, they seemed to do very well with the last event they hosted! The weather is still good for baseball at that time?

Blog Entries
    Felix Fermin is Primary Candidate to Manage Dominican NT
    Source in Spanish: http://www.hoy.com.do/deportes/2012/...anager-Clasico

http://www.nownews.com/2012/02/16/341-2786038.htm

The teams will play in round-robin competition in Round 1.

No news is...

Blog Entries
    Roughly less than 380 days for the next CLASSIC,and still no announcement,quite disappointing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chendd View Post
    http://www.nownews.com/2012/02/16/341-2786038.htm

The teams will play in round-robin competition in Round 1.
    Good, I didn't care for the other format. BTW, the Dominican National Team may have a new General Manager. Stan Javier is rumored to be taking over the Cibao Eagles job; so the top replacement candidates are Omar Minaya and Moises Alou.
    Last edited by NewEnglandAmazins; 02-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.

I find it very odd that they would announce the Asia Series for the very same weekend that these recent articles say the WBC qualifier will be in Tawain. I still say that article is not to be believed completely especially with other info I've heard that some participants were already told September

Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post
    I find it very odd that they would announce the Asia Series for the very same weekend that these recent articles say the WBC qualifier will be in Tawain.
    It's a moot point because none of those games will draw a lot of people in participating countries except maybe the WBC qualifier final in Taiwan.

check out the wbc qualifier 2012 host venue bid webpage of Regensburg http://www.worldbaseballclassic.de/
    the vid shows you some impressions of the WC 2009 at Regensburg with China, Venezuela, USA and Germany
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Paula59 View Post
    check out the wbc qualifier 2012 host venue bid webpage of Regensburg http://www.worldbaseballclassic.de/
    the vid shows you some impressions of the WC 2009 at Regensburg with China, Venezuela, USA and Germany
    Cool video. Is this website new?
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 02-26-2012 at 11:16 PM.

It will effect the championship team that Taiwan sends, and it just didn't make much sense to have two tournaments going on at the same time during that time of year when they could be separate..

Now, I heard today, from sources I will not reveal, that an announcement will come the first week of March, but that the November dates in Taiwan look to be correct, and that the other qualifiers, dates unknown, but likely in September will be held in Germany, Panama, and Florida!

We shall see eventually!

Paula....please tell me that was Die Fantastichen Vier singing that song for that video!!!! And tell me where I can download it as well!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula59 View Post
    That song is too "in your face" for my liking

It will effect the championship team that Taiwan sends, and it just didn't make much sense to have two tournaments going on at the same time during that time of year when they could be separate..

Now, I heard today, from sources I will not reveal, that an announcement will come the first week of March, but that the November dates in Taiwan look to be correct, and that the other qualifiers, dates unknown, but likely in September will be held in Germany, Panama, and Florida!

We shall see eventually!
    If true, then Canada could be playing in Florida. My guess is they will be grouped with Spain, France and the United States of Great Britain.

I am thinking with all the retired Jewish people in Florida that you can send Spain to Germany, and put Israel in Florida..... And the qualifier to be at would be in Panama with Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua!

Blog Entries
    I am thinking with all the retired Jewish people in Florida that you can send Spain to Germany, and put Israel in Florida..... And the qualifier to be at would be in Panama with Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua!
    I thought of that too, but Israel may be too much of a threat to Canada's chances of advancing; Israel may have a roster full of former MLB and current MiLB players and very few Israelis. Team Israel could be a favorite if placed in Germany with South Africa and the Czech Republic.
    Last edited by NewEnglandAmazins; 02-26-2012 at 08:26 PM.

If Israel DOES play in Florida AND Israel names either Ron Blomberg or Art Shamsky as manager, all the retired NYers will DEFINITELY show.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Those sites make a lot of sense. I'm sure I've predicted them all at one time or another. (But then I've pretty much predicted every city in the world would host a round. Cover my bases.)

I think certainly Team Israel would play in a Florida-based qualifier. Why not? The fans are there, the team's chief financial backer is there, and the threat of a potential underdog challenger to Team Canada will encourage the Canucks to try to field the best team they can. (A September series, though, will make it impossible, of course, for major leaguers to make it.)

So (assuming this speculation is right), here's what we've got: Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, and New Zealand in the Taiwan pool (unless the Japan mess isn't figured out by November, and Taiwan gets promoted as a replacement); South Africa, Germany, Czech Republic, and Spain in Regensburg; Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua in Panama; and Canada, Israel, France, and Great Britain in Florida. Lots of interesting story lines there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Those sites make a lot of sense. I'm sure I've predicted them all at one time or another. (But then I've pretty much predicted every city in the world would host a round. Cover my bases.)

I think certainly Team Israel would play in a Florida-based qualifier. Why not? The fans are there, the team's chief financial backer is there, and the threat of a potential underdog challenger to Team Canada will encourage the Canucks to try to field the best team they can. (A September series, though, will make it impossible, of course, for major leaguers to make it.)

So (assuming this speculation is right), here's what we've got: Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, and New Zealand in the Taiwan pool (unless the Japan mess isn't figured out by November, and Taiwan gets promoted as a replacement); South Africa, Germany, Czech Republic, and Spain in Regensburg; Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua in Panama; and Canada, Israel, France, and Great Britain in Florida. Lots of interesting story lines there.
    Florida Qualifier would best be played in November. Major leaguers would be available and the temps are a bit more moderate, with less humidity. They could be held here in the Tampa Bay area. Al Lang Stadiium, Bright House Field, Steinbrenner Field and Florida Auto Exchange Stadium are four parks that would be sufficient.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Paula....please tell me that was Die Fantastichen Vier singing that song for that video!!!! And tell me where I can download it as well!!!!!
    would love it would be Fanta 4 but it is "just" a local Regensburg band. Have send you the mp3 file.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins
    That song is too "in your face" for my liking
    true but I kind of like the song

For those interested here is the musicvid live performance closing ceremony BBWC 09 Regensburg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rawL_MQhcA
    You can find some more vids of the WC Regensburg there too as it gives a good view about the atmosphere
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

There are some confusing issues here. (1) We hear speculation about using various minor league ballparks in Florida for the Qualifying Round, with " satisfactory " capacity. It seems that everyone on this blog is resigned to Qualifying Round games drawing measly crowds of 3000 or 4000. Let's say that #7 Taiwan, #15 Panama, and #17 Germany are hosting the other three pools. So potentially this qualifying round pool is being displaced from Toronto to Florida. (2) Why would #6 Canada not be interested in hosting this pool instead of going down to Florida ? A #6 team would seem to have the talent to go all the way into the semifinals. (3) Why wouldn't the WBC want to highlight their newest stadium, Marlins Ballpark in Miami ? (4) It would seem to me that a well-promoted pool in either Toronto or Miami could easily draw an average of 15,000 fans, with the most interesting games drawing upwards of 20,000 or 25,000. Why does everyone assume that these games will be trivial in terms of attendance ?

Blog Entries
    Here are some attendance figures from the last time Panama and Germany hosted an International event; and the attendance figures from Nicaragua's games in Panama. How much of an increase in attendance can we expect for the WBC Qualifiers?

Attendance from Panama 2011 BWC
    Panama vs.
    PHP Code:
    Greece        20,000
    Taiwan         3
    Puerto Rico    6
    Japan          7
    Canada         7
    Netherlands    7
    USA            4
    Venezuela      5
    South Korea    2
    Australia        100
    Cuba           2
    Venezuela        100 
    Attendance from Germany 2009 BWC
    Germany vs.
    PHP Code:
    China        5,300
    USA          9
    Venezuela    6
    Attendance from Panama 2011 BWC
    Nicaragua vs.
    PHP Code:
    Germany          400
    Venezuela      2
    Italy            250
    Australia        400
    South Korea    2
    Dominincan Rep 5
    Cuba           5

Something to remember is that there are a lot of Snowbirds in Florida, Canadians who retire or go on vacation in warmer climates. There's enough Canadians in Florida that they thought it safe to put ice hockey teams in Tampa and Miami. It's why I don't mind Canada playing in Florida, there will be fans down there for them.

Not sure what Phil Lowry's talking about. WBC Inc.'s bid invitations said that the organizers want the stadiums in the qualifying rounds to seat at least 10,000 fans. And Champion Stadium at Orlando's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has just under that. Remember, that's where one of the first-round pools was held during the '06 Classic.

I don't think anyone's resigned to small crowds for the qualifiers. (Although there might be.) But the WBC never planned for them to be held in a stadium the size of the Rogers Center or the new Marlins ballbark. I'd expect crowds in the 5000-10,000 range.

Quote Originally Posted by PLowry View Post
    There are some confusing issues here. (1) We hear speculation about using various minor league ballparks in Florida for the Qualifying Round, with " satisfactory " capacity. It seems that everyone on this blog is resigned to Qualifying Round games drawing measly crowds of 3000 or 4000. Let's say that #7 Taiwan, #15 Panama, and #17 Germany are hosting the other three pools. So potentially this qualifying round pool is being displaced from Toronto to Florida. (2) Why would #6 Canada not be interested in hosting this pool instead of going down to Florida ? A #6 team would seem to have the talent to go all the way into the semifinals. (3) Why wouldn't the WBC want to highlight their newest stadium, Marlins Ballpark in Miami ? (4) It would seem to me that a well-promoted pool in either Toronto or Miami could easily draw an average of 15,000 fans, with the most interesting games drawing upwards of 20,000 or 25,000. Why does everyone assume that these games will be trivial in terms of attendance ?
    Simply stated.....history.... I've been to a lot of International events, and while this means more than others, it is to new and without the marquee teams that will draw the big attendance.... in my opinion.

Simply stated.....history.... I've been to a lot of International events, and while this means more than others, it is to new and without the marquee teams that will draw the big attendance.... in my opinion.
    I mean, that's right. Why would we think there'd be 20,000 fans in the seats to see, say, a Canada versus Great Britain game? Especially if, as expected, no big leaguers play? Heck, the Canada-Italy game only attracted 12,000 fans in Toronto back in '09. And that roster included Joey Votto, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, and Matt Stairs!

Sure, promotion helps. And if the organizers did a better job, it could've been higher. But, come on. A qualifying event? 10,000 is optimistic.

Page 54 of 154 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast