Page 62 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3833

Thread: 2013 World Baseball Classic

  1. #1526
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay via Boston
    Posts
    3,340
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInternationalGame View Post
    IBAF has a deal with the online streaming service LiveSport.tv (http://www.ibaf.livesport.tv/) but the BWC was rather expensive, something like 7€ a game and 35€ for the tournament.

    I would imagine all games in Regensburg are covered by Legionaere.tv and Baseball Deutschland since they also have done the MLB Academy, would allow for a decent coverage.

    In Florida you might have regional coverage, in Taiwan the same. ESPN Deportes / International usually shows up for MLB events even if they don't cover it to the extent that some of us would want :-)
    I lucked out and managed to catch the World Cup and Pan Am games online with the Panamanian and Cuban feeds. My Spanish is very poor but I didn't need it to know what I was watching on my 'puter screen
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

  2. #1527
    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Not sure if it will get any coverage. How much TV coverage did the IBAF World Cup get? None.

    At the Pan Am Games, ESPN Deportes hardly carried any baseball, save for picking up the Gold Medal game and that was joined in progress.
    With all due respect to the IBAF and the Pan Am games, I wouldn't base any predictions on the fact that those games weren't televised. MLB owns the WBC. It also owns the MLB Network. Other than the Caribbean leagues and the ABL, there's not really any other baseball going on in November. So I can't imagine that the MLB Network won't show all of these games. Heck, they broadcast Caribbean Series and the ABL All-Star game. Why wouldn't they broadcast these?

  3. #1528
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    191
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Not sure if it will get any coverage. How much TV coverage did the IBAF World Cup get? None.

    At the Pan Am Games, ESPN Deportes hardly carried any baseball, save for picking up the Gold Medal game and that was joined in progress.
    Two years ago MLB network did broadcast the World Cup championship game between Cuba and U.S. These qualifiers are a much bigger deal because they are being promoted by MLB themselves.

  4. #1529
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,871
    Blog Entries
    2
    I expect MLB Network to cover the WBCQs in November. However, the Germany WBCQ will be played when the MLB Playoff chases are heating up; scheduling may be an issue on MLB Network.

  5. #1530
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    796
    I have a feeling Sportsnet in Canada who owns the Jays will broadcast the German quali. They have done the WBC and have also broadcast the junior World Championships in Thunder Bay. Sportsnet also reports on Baseball Canada a lot and has provided this thread with good articles for info.

  6. #1531
    The Qualifier pools seem to give a huge edge to #18 Spain, and to #7 Taiwan; while making things almost level for Panama, and making things very difficult for #17 Germany.

    QUALIFIER ONE - September 20-24 at Armin-Wolf-Arena, Regensburg, Germany - #17 Germany hosting #6 Canada, #20 Czech, #23 Britain

    QUALIFIER TWO - November dates TBD at Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter, Florida - #18 Spain, #35 South Africa, #41 France, #48 Israel

    QUALIFIER THREE - November dates TBD at Xinziang Stadium, New Taipei City, Taiwan - #7 Taiwan hosting #22 Thailand, #28 Philippines, Unranked/#78 New Zealand

    QUALIFIER FOUR - November 14-18 at Estadio Rod Carew, Panama City, Panama - #15 Panama hosting #14 Nicaragua, # 26 Colombia, #33 Brazil

    So Spain's strongest opponent is ranked 17 places lower, and Taiwan's strongest opponent is ranked 15 places lower.

    This compares to Panama's strongest opponent which is ranked one place higher, and Germany's strongest opponent which is ranked 11 places higher.

    Things may not be so bad for #17 Germany though. There seems to be a consensus that Canada is ranked way above where it should be ranked. Plus Germany will have home field advantage over Canada.

  7. #1532
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInternationalGame View Post
    IBAF has a deal with the online streaming service LiveSport.tv (http://www.ibaf.livesport.tv/) but the BWC was rather expensive, something like 7€ a game and 35€ for the tournament.

    I would imagine all games in Regensburg are covered by Legionaere.tv and Baseball Deutschland since they also have done the MLB Academy, would allow for a decent coverage.

    In Florida you might have regional coverage, in Taiwan the same. ESPN Deportes / International usually shows up for MLB events even if they don't cover it to the extent that some of us would want :-)
    I am guessing there will be NO televison coverage of this at all......And you'll be lucky to find online too...

  8. #1533
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    469
    Remember...they broadcast the Caribbean Series AND the ABL FROM THE STUDIO IN NEW JERSEY.....NOT IN PERSON. IT IS AWFUL

  9. #1534
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by PLowry View Post
    The Qualifier pools seem to give a huge edge to #18 Spain, and to #7 Taiwan; while making things almost level for Panama, and making things very difficult for #17 Germany.

    QUALIFIER ONE - September 20-24 at Armin-Wolf-Arena, Regensburg, Germany - #17 Germany hosting #6 Canada, #20 Czech, #23 Britain

    QUALIFIER TWO - November dates TBD at Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter, Florida - #18 Spain, #35 South Africa, #41 France, #48 Israel

    QUALIFIER THREE - November dates TBD at Xinziang Stadium, New Taipei City, Taiwan - #7 Taiwan hosting #22 Thailand, #28 Philippines, Unranked/#78 New Zealand

    QUALIFIER FOUR - November 14-18 at Estadio Rod Carew, Panama City, Panama - #15 Panama hosting #14 Nicaragua, # 26 Colombia, #33 Brazil

    So Spain's strongest opponent is ranked 17 places lower, and Taiwan's strongest opponent is ranked 15 places lower.

    This compares to Panama's strongest opponent which is ranked one place higher, and Germany's strongest opponent which is ranked 11 places higher.

    Things may not be so bad for #17 Germany though. There seems to be a consensus that Canada is ranked way above where it should be ranked. Plus Germany will have home field advantage over Canada.
    I think we are giving way to much credit to Spain. I actually expect very little from them in that qualifier

  10. #1535
    Plowry u r analyzing this way to much. Spain is not going to win. IF Israel have major leaguers there done. The ibaf rankings is a joke. Pool 2 is a toss up if Israel have MLB players it's theirs to win.Pool 4 is the toughest it is el grupo de la muerte. I pick panama. Pool 3 it's Chinese Taipei to win especially having home field advantage. IMO it's the weakest pool out of all them. I never seen NZ ever play in international competition but I might be wrong. Philippines and Thailand always get slaughtered when they get invited in the world cup.

  11. #1536
    I forgot pool 1 it's between Germany and Canada to win.

  12. #1537
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    469
    Who else saw the article about the Korean players boycotting the WBC. That is their current status.... Not good.....

  13. #1538
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,871
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post
    Who else saw the article about the Korean players boycotting the WBC. That is their current status.... Not good.....
    The Korean Player's Union is using their WBC participation as a bargaining chip to drive the KBO's expansion to 10 teams. We'll stay tuned...
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...36_108604.html

  14. #1539
    Wow, it's really interesting how the WBC has apparently given the Japanese players--and now Korean players--so much more leverage than they had before. I'm not sure how this will all settle out, but the players' ability to withhold their support for the national team has the potential to reshape player-owner relations across the Asian leagues. Stay tuned!

  15. #1540
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Wow, it's really interesting how the WBC has apparently given the Japanese players--and now Korean players--so much more leverage than they had before. I'm not sure how this will all settle out, but the players' ability to withhold their support for the national team has the potential to reshape player-owner relations across the Asian leagues. Stay tuned!
    Yep, shows just how big this tourney has already become to some. Not totally related, but is Korea big enough for 10 teams of that size?

  16. #1541
    It's because the WBC is something they can risk, since they won't lose any of their salary by boycotting.

  17. #1542
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A sports field near you
    Posts
    91
    Some international baseball stories worth sharing coming out of the south pacific and middle east(via SF):

    http://www.ablbuzz.com.au/?p=3043
    http://www.baseballnewzealand.com/in...journey-begins
    http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/...ether-for-wbc/

  18. #1543
    With the announcement in the New Zealand story above, we now know the dates for three of the four Qualifier Pools:

    POOL ONE in Armin-Wolf-Arena, Regensburg, Germany --- Thu Sep 20 through Mon Sep 24

    POOL TWO in Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter, Florida, USA --- dates in Nov are still unknown

    POOL THREE in XinZhuang Stadium, Taipei, Taiwan --- Thu Sep 15 through Sun Nov 18

    POOL FOUR in Estadio Rod Carew, Panama City, Panama --- Wed Nov 14 through Sun Nov 18

    What do you think the attendance will be in these four pools ? Here is a guess-timate:

    POOL ONE --- Regensburg, Germany --- capacity 10,500 --- 10,500 for games involving Germany; 4000 for games not involving Germany

    POOL TWO --- Jupiter, Florida, USA --- capacity 6871 --- no host team --- 6871 for games involving Israel; 5000 for games not involving Israel

    POOL THREE --- Taipei, Taiwan --- capacity 11,000 --- 11,000 for games involving Taiwan; 3000 for games not involving Taiwan

    POOL FOUR --- Panama City, Panama --- capacity 27,000 --- 25,000 for games involving Panama; 6000 for games not involving Panama

    What do you all think about these prospective attendance figures ?

  19. #1544
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A sports field near you
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by PLowry View Post

    What do you think the attendance will be in these four pools ? Here is a guess-timate:

    POOL ONE --- Regensburg, Germany --- capacity 10,500 --- 10,500 for games involving Germany; 4000 for games not involving Germany

    POOL TWO --- Jupiter, Florida, USA --- capacity 6871 --- no host team --- 6871 for games involving Israel; 5000 for games not involving Israel

    POOL THREE --- Taipei, Taiwan --- capacity 11,000 --- 11,000 for games involving Taiwan; 3000 for games not involving Taiwan

    POOL FOUR --- Panama City, Panama --- capacity 27,000 --- 25,000 for games involving Panama; 6000 for games not involving Panama

    What do you all think about these prospective attendance figures ?
    I think thats optimistic, but hard to say whether its actually possible. Doubts abound that fans will travel for this, and locals don't show up even to watch the big teams like Canada on the road, which is unfortunate.

    Regensburg: Near sellout for Germany games, 2k average for others. As has been mentioned, Czech should represent well given the proximity to Prag and Brno, but GB and Canada probably won't. Has been talk that the stadium will sit 10k as during the BWC in '09, but Germany didnt sell out against China or Venezuela. Doubt it.

    Jupiter: No sellouts, average of 2.5k. Given Spain and Israel as the regional supported favorites, they could draw more. Depends on the marketing.

    Taipei: max 2k average for games not involving the hosts. Just no interest in the other countries, and the home fans know their team will advance, so they might stay away.

    Panama: Would guess max 15k for the hosts games in the final, around 2k for the others. Again, I don't see anyone traveling to Panama City to watch a qualifier.

    It would be great to see a push by MLBtv to get these covered, and in some way that is free for viewers. This will help grow the interest of the game in the countries that are participating. If your team is playing two thousand kilometers away from home, you won't fly to watch a game you have just moderate interest in, but partnerships to get it on TV in the home market of every team will raise the profile of the national team program and MLB; a win-win situation. Whether its live streaming online, or getting it on tape delay to the sports sender in the country, anything helps! Im sure the teams from the non-hosts especially would second this.
    Last edited by TheInternationalGame; 04-15-2012 at 09:57 AM.

  20. #1545
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInternationalGame View Post
    It would be great to see a push by MLBtv to get these covered, and in some way that is free for viewers. This will help grow the interest of the game in the countries that are participating. If your team is playing two thousand kilometers away from home, you won't fly to watch a game you have just moderate interest in, but partnerships to get it on TV in the home market of every team will raise the profile of the national team program and MLB; a win-win situation. Whether its live streaming online, or getting it on tape delay to the sports sender in the country, anything helps! Im sure the teams from the non-hosts especially would second this.
    Smart comment. Seconded!

  21. #1546
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,871
    Blog Entries
    2

    Israel getting team together for World Baseball Classic

    The latest on the WBCQ...
    Former major leaguers Brad Ausmus, Shawn Green and Gabe Kapler have expressed interest in playing or coaching for Israel, the IAB noted. Two pitchers with Bay Area roots — Scott Feldman of Burlingame (Texas Rangers) and Aaron Poreda of Moraga (Double-A in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization) — are other possibilities.
    Aaron Pribble of San Francisco, a standout high school pitcher in Marin in the mid-1990s, is among the players expected to receive an invitation to try out for the Israeli squad.

    Pribble pitched in the short-lived Israel Baseball League in 2007 and wrote a book about the experience titled “Pitching in the Promised Land.”
    Source: http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/...ether-for-wbc/

  22. #1547
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    417
    Ticket prices for the WBCQ in Germany have been announced and will be on sale starting April 27th via www.worldbaseballclassic.de

    Ticket Prices World Baseball Classic Qualifier Regensburg:
    Single Ticket Single Ticket Week Pass

    Category Sept. 20/21/23/24 Sept. 22 Sept. 20 to 24
    Homeplate Premium 50 Euros 75 Euros 220 Euros
    Homeplate 40 Euros 60 Euros 175 Euros
    Infield 30 Euros 45 Euros 130 Euros
    Baseline 20 Euros 30 Euros 85 Euros
    Outfield 15 Euros 20 Euros 60 Euros

    additionally it looks like the Asien Qualifier in Raiwan will be held from 15th to 18th November according to this article http://www.baseballnewzealand.com/in...journey-begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball New Zealand
    New Zealand, the only unranked team in the world to feature in qualification, will play Chinese Taipei, the Philippines and Thailand in a four-team group at XinZhuang Stadium in Taipei between November 15 and 18.
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

  23. #1548
    Another interesting article here about Canada's rough road ahead in qualifying for the WBC:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sic/index.html

    Apparently, Russell Martin and Justin Morneau weren't aware that they're ineligible to play in the Septemer qualifier. Also, one of the premises of the article is that the teams playing in November will be able to use players who are on an MLB 40-man roster. It doesn't confirm that--but it's the clear implication. So now I guess I'm just confused.

  24. #1549
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula59 View Post
    Ticket prices for the WBCQ in Germany have been announced and will be on sale starting April 27th via www.worldbaseballclassic.de
    Paula, does that pricing make sense to you? Will European baseball fans pay $20 to sit down the baseline for a single game?

  25. #1550
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Another interesting article here about Canada's rough road ahead in qualifying for the WBC:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sic/index.html

    Apparently, Russell Martin and Justin Morneau weren't aware that they're ineligible to play in the Septemer qualifier. Also, one of the premises of the article is that the teams playing in November will be able to use players who are on an MLB 40-man roster. It doesn't confirm that--but it's the clear implication. So now I guess I'm just confused.
    "In that regard, September was the only option: The qualifiers would be overshadowed by the MLB playoffs in October, and the temperature would be too cold to play in Germany in November.

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/04/17/canada.world.baseball.classic/index.html#ixzz1sQjgeUSS"


    The qualifiers are going to be ignored for the most part anyway. Why worry then about October? In October, Canada would have watched since we only have 1 MLB that more then likely won't be playing in October.

Page 62 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •