Page 123 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3832

Thread: 2013 World Baseball Classic

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    I get the feeling Dempster won't be there. He's in the same situation as last time, new team and wants to get off on the right foot. Based on Scott Diamond interviews I've heard, I think (and hope!) he's there in March.
    Sounds right to me. Also, according to this interview, I was right about Russell Martin: He'll do anything to play. Even reporting to the Pirates in January!

News from Venezuela:

According to Luis Sojo these two players have confirmed for sure. Miguel Cabrera and Felix Hernandez.

It seems that Sojo stated that Johan Santana wont participate in the classic.

The prelim roster is still not out but Sojo stated he can guarantee miguel cabrera and felix hernandez. He also stated that Venezuelan superstars in the MLB will guaranteed spots. I imagine he means the Pablo Sandovals of MLB will have their starting spot for sure if they decide to play.

Sojo also mentioned that he is keen on getting 20 key players to show a full commitment. And that he is disappointed that he cannot get more time to train his team according to MLB. Though he will ask certain players to start separate team workouts and individual workout outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Samurai Japan has released a preliminary 34-player roster. Here:
    http://yakyubaka.com/2012/12/04/samu...13-wbc-roster/
    Not surprised to see ichiro, darvish, kuroda out of the team. Especially Darvish you probably doesnt want to pull a matsuzaka in his MLB careers.

On paper, Venezuela's the team to beat. The lack of practice time will no doubt hurt, but I'm wondering if competing in the San Juan pool of death will help sharpen them up for the finals.

With today's signing of Jason Bay, I think we can pretty much scratch him from Team Canada's roster. The Mariners gave him a one year, $500,000 deal, with another $500,000 if he makes the team out of training camp. No way he can afford now to skip spring training.

Blog Entries
    So who starts at shortstop for Venezuela? Can anyone give me.a starting line up for VenezuelaHow about starting lineups for the DR, PR abd Cuba? Cuban defectors alone would be formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So who starts at shortstop for Venezuela?
    Elvis Andus is an obvious first choice.

UPDATE: Omar Vizquel and Luis Aparicio are obvious picks too. But I think they're still retired.

By the way, Andrus is playing in the Venezuelan winter league to help prepare for the WBC.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...ter-league.ece
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 12-08-2012 at 09:22 PM.

How bout relievers for Venezuela, having quality reliever is CRUCIAL in winning the WBC. I can only think of Rafael Betancourt on top of my head.

And, thy've got ONLY King Felix for starting pitcher- Venezuela's hitting's gonna rake, but I doubt that they can win without any quality pitchers(felix is an exception!).

Blog Entries
    Probably Andrus but Escobar and Cabrera are excellent also. Has Cargo made a commitment yet? Venezuela's infield is tremendous. Cabrera at first, Panda at third, Andrus at short, Altuve at second or another shortstop and Montero or the catcher from KC catching. Not bad. By the way, does anyone think Pujols will play for the DR?

So who starts at shortstop for Venezuela? Can anyone give me.a starting line up for VenezuelaHow about starting lineups for the DR, PR abd Cuba? Cuban defectors alone would be formidable.
    After reading some articles I think it will be Andrus. Sojo has already stated that established MLB stars for Venezuela will have guaranteed spots. Also a prelim list of 50 players has been sent to MLB and clubs to ask how they feel about the players. Some unknown or Minor league venezuelan players were left out but it isn't 100% sure who just rumours.

But none of the major venezuelan players have been left out. Assuming Venezuela gets everybody they want here is what I think it will look like:

SP: Felix Hernandez, Armando Galaragga, Anibal Sanchez

Catcher: Ramon Hernandez, Wilson Ramos(though I hear he might not be so keen), Henry Blanco,

1st base: Miguel Cabrera for sure or maybe has DH,

DH: Victor Martinez or Miguel Cabrera

2nd/SS Asdurbal Cabrera, Marco Scutaro, Jose Lopez, Omar Infante

SS: Elvius Andrus(for sure if he goes)

3rd base: Pablo Sandoval

Outfield: Gregor Blanco, Carlos Gonzalez, Gerado Parra, Martin Pardo, Bobby Abreu

Relief pitchers is the big question but guys like Felix Doubront can be there. Yet this is just a random list i put together other then the big names the team can look very different.

I would love though if they added Omar Vizquel as a coach.
    Last edited by quinnystar27; 12-09-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quinnystar27 View Post
    After reading some articles I think it will be Andrus. Sojo has already stated that established MLB stars for Venezuela will have guaranteed spots. Also a prelim list of 50 players has been sent to MLB and clubs to ask how they feel about the players. Some unknown or Minor league venezuelan players were left out but it isn't 100% sure who just rumours.

But none of the major venezuelan players have been left out. Assuming Venezuela gets everybody they want here is what I think it will look like:

SP: Felix Hernandez, Armando Galaragga, Anibal Sanchez

Catcher: Ramon Hernandez, Wilson Ramos(though I hear he might not be so keen), Henry Blanco,

1st base: Miguel Cabrera for sure or maybe has DH,

DH: Victor Martinez or Miguel Cabrera

2nd/SS Asdurbal Cabrera, Marco Scutaro, Jose Lopez, Omar Infante

SS: Elvius Andrus(for sure if he goes)

3rd base: Pablo Sandoval

Outfield: Gregor Blanco, Carlos Gonzalez, Gerado Parra, Martin Pardo, Bobby Abreu

Relief pitchers is the big question but guys like Felix Doubront can be there. Yet this is just a random list i put together other then the big names the team can look very different.

I would love though if they added Omar Vizquel as a coach.
    Victor Martinez is coming back from a season ending injury,the Tigers don't want to risk another injury in an intense tournament like The Classic. Francisco Rodriguez relieved in '09 for Venezuela,he might be willing to play next year.

Why not Johan?

Why not Johan?
    I heard Johan is not going to play. This is what some people closed to him have said. But who knows.

Blog Entries
    Why not Johan?
    I have a feeling the Mets won't release him, because they pulled the plug on his 2012 season due to some back stiffness in which an MRI revealed some damage.

It occurs to me that Venezuela is probably one team that really benefits from the tournament returning to a round robin format in the opening pools. Even though they've been placed in a true pool of death, they can plan ahead and set their pitching according to their scheduled opponents. And so that means they can afford to bring on a minor league prospect to handle Spain on the last day of the opening round (March 10). (No offense against Spain. But it's a talented team--of minor league players.) Then Felix, who'll be well-rested after playing the first game against the DR on March 7), can pitch in the first game of the second round on March 12. If Venezuela wins its first two games of that modified double-elimination round, they'll only need to carry three pitchers.

Does anyone know if the dates listed on the official schedule are local or Eastern? For instance, does Game 2 of the Taichung pool start at 12:30 PM on March 2 local (March 1 at 11:30 PM EST) or 11:30 PM EST on March 2 (12:30 PM on March 3 local)?

And why does Game 3 of Taichung come after game 4 (and possibly Game 1 after Game 2, depending on whether the dates are local or Eastern)? Could it have something to do with the host also being a qualifier?

Edit: Fixed the Eastern time

Quote Originally Posted by ddrapayo View Post
    Does anyone know if the dates listed on the official schedule are local or Eastern? For instance, does Game 2 of the Taichung pool start at 12:30 PM on March 2 local (March 1 at 11:30 PM EST) or 11:30 PM EST on March 2 (12:30 PM on March 3 local)?

And why does Game 3 of Taichung come after game 4 (and possibly Game 1 after Game 2, depending on whether the dates are local or Eastern)? Could it have something to do with the host also being a qualifier?
    The official schedule lists both the local time (that is, the time the game starts in the plae it's playes) and the Eastern time. I'm not sure why the dates for Games 3 and 4 are switched on the Taiching schedule. Good catch. Maybe an error?

Blog Entries

So with the trade of Shin Shoo Choo to the Reds, will he now play for Korea? One thing that might change his plans is the Reds want to move him to centerfield, where he hasn't played since 2009 (that only a few games) - he and the Reds may want him in camp working on a new position rather than playing in the WBC.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Choo announced last month that he won't play in the Classic.

Choo announced last month that he won't play in the Classic.
    I am not very worried about certain players from the asian teams not playing the classic. Japan and Korea have already proved that they have quality players that MLB fans never heard of that can win.

What I am worried about is the other teams, to get the classic as a mainstay the big names from MLB have to participate. The big names from KBO or NPB are a good inclusion but the average MLB fan wont know who they are.

Blog Entries
    I met a Dominican baseball fan and he claims he heard on a Dominican radio that Pujols might play for the DR in the WBC. Just passing it on.

Blog Entries

Puerto Rican coaches announced

Edwin Rodríguez -- Manager

José “Tony” Valentín -- Bench Coach
    Carlos Delgado -- Hitting Coach
    Ricky Bones -- Pitching Coach
    José ‘Cheo’ Rosado -- Bullpen Coach
    Carlos Baerga -- First Base Coach
    Josué Espada -- Third Base Coach

Source: http://www.beisbolmundial.com/926_an...e-beisbol.html

Blog Entries
    I met a Dominican baseball fan and he claims he heard on a Dominican radio that Pujols might play for the DR in the WBC. Just passing it on.
    That is not a surprise, I expect him to play for Dominicana

News from Venezuela

Venezuelan coaching staff:

Bench Coach Luis Dorante

First base coach Carlos Garcia

Third base coach Omar Malave

Hitting coach Andres Galaragga

Pitching coach Wilson Alavarez

Bullpen coach Marco Davavillo

Manger Luis Sojo

This is old news but just confirming it. Also got a update on some player news

Page 123 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast