Page 154 of 192 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3833

Thread: 2013 World Baseball Classic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quinnystar27 View Post
    After reading some articles I think it will be Andrus. Sojo has already stated that established MLB stars for Venezuela will have guaranteed spots. Also a prelim list of 50 players has been sent to MLB and clubs to ask how they feel about the players. Some unknown or Minor league venezuelan players were left out but it isn't 100% sure who just rumours.

But none of the major venezuelan players have been left out. Assuming Venezuela gets everybody they want here is what I think it will look like:

SP: Felix Hernandez, Armando Galaragga, Anibal Sanchez

Catcher: Ramon Hernandez, Wilson Ramos(though I hear he might not be so keen), Henry Blanco,

1st base: Miguel Cabrera for sure or maybe has DH,

DH: Victor Martinez or Miguel Cabrera

2nd/SS Asdurbal Cabrera, Marco Scutaro, Jose Lopez, Omar Infante

SS: Elvius Andrus(for sure if he goes)

3rd base: Pablo Sandoval

Outfield: Gregor Blanco, Carlos Gonzalez, Gerado Parra, Martin Pardo, Bobby Abreu

Relief pitchers is the big question but guys like Felix Doubront can be there. Yet this is just a random list i put together other then the big names the team can look very different.

I would love though if they added Omar Vizquel as a coach.
    Victor Martinez is coming back from a season ending injury,the Tigers don't want to risk another injury in an intense tournament like The Classic. Francisco Rodriguez relieved in '09 for Venezuela,he might be willing to play next year.

Why not Johan?

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Why not Johan?
    I heard Johan is not going to play. This is what some people closed to him have said. But who knows.

Blog Entries
    Why not Johan?
    I have a feeling the Mets won't release him, because they pulled the plug on his 2012 season due to some back stiffness in which an MRI revealed some damage.

It occurs to me that Venezuela is probably one team that really benefits from the tournament returning to a round robin format in the opening pools. Even though they've been placed in a true pool of death, they can plan ahead and set their pitching according to their scheduled opponents. And so that means they can afford to bring on a minor league prospect to handle Spain on the last day of the opening round (March 10). (No offense against Spain. But it's a talented team--of minor league players.) Then Felix, who'll be well-rested after playing the first game against the DR on March 7), can pitch in the first game of the second round on March 12. If Venezuela wins its first two games of that modified double-elimination round, they'll only need to carry three pitchers.

Does anyone know if the dates listed on the official schedule are local or Eastern? For instance, does Game 2 of the Taichung pool start at 12:30 PM on March 2 local (March 1 at 11:30 PM EST) or 11:30 PM EST on March 2 (12:30 PM on March 3 local)?

And why does Game 3 of Taichung come after game 4 (and possibly Game 1 after Game 2, depending on whether the dates are local or Eastern)? Could it have something to do with the host also being a qualifier?

Edit: Fixed the Eastern time

Quote Originally Posted by ddrapayo View Post
    Does anyone know if the dates listed on the official schedule are local or Eastern? For instance, does Game 2 of the Taichung pool start at 12:30 PM on March 2 local (March 1 at 11:30 PM EST) or 11:30 PM EST on March 2 (12:30 PM on March 3 local)?

And why does Game 3 of Taichung come after game 4 (and possibly Game 1 after Game 2, depending on whether the dates are local or Eastern)? Could it have something to do with the host also being a qualifier?
    The official schedule lists both the local time (that is, the time the game starts in the plae it's playes) and the Eastern time. I'm not sure why the dates for Games 3 and 4 are switched on the Taiching schedule. Good catch. Maybe an error?

Blog Entries

So with the trade of Shin Shoo Choo to the Reds, will he now play for Korea? One thing that might change his plans is the Reds want to move him to centerfield, where he hasn't played since 2009 (that only a few games) - he and the Reds may want him in camp working on a new position rather than playing in the WBC.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Choo announced last month that he won't play in the Classic.

Choo announced last month that he won't play in the Classic.
    I am not very worried about certain players from the asian teams not playing the classic. Japan and Korea have already proved that they have quality players that MLB fans never heard of that can win.

What I am worried about is the other teams, to get the classic as a mainstay the big names from MLB have to participate. The big names from KBO or NPB are a good inclusion but the average MLB fan wont know who they are.

Blog Entries
    I met a Dominican baseball fan and he claims he heard on a Dominican radio that Pujols might play for the DR in the WBC. Just passing it on.

Blog Entries

Puerto Rican coaches announced

Edwin Rodríguez -- Manager

José “Tony” Valentín -- Bench Coach
    Carlos Delgado -- Hitting Coach
    Ricky Bones -- Pitching Coach
    José ‘Cheo’ Rosado -- Bullpen Coach
    Carlos Baerga -- First Base Coach
    Josué Espada -- Third Base Coach

Source: http://www.beisbolmundial.com/926_an...e-beisbol.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I met a Dominican baseball fan and he claims he heard on a Dominican radio that Pujols might play for the DR in the WBC. Just passing it on.
    That is not a surprise, I expect him to play for Dominicana

News from Venezuela

Venezuelan coaching staff:

Bench Coach Luis Dorante

First base coach Carlos Garcia

Third base coach Omar Malave

Hitting coach Andres Galaragga

Pitching coach Wilson Alavarez

Bullpen coach Marco Davavillo

Manger Luis Sojo

This is old news but just confirming it. Also got a update on some player news

Here are the tabulated results for the November 2012 WBC Qualifiers Contest. Congratulations to Rally Monkey for winning, and to New England Amazins for finishing in second place 66 points ahead of the third place contestant (which would be me).

To review, each contestant received ten points for having the correct winning team for each game, ten points for having the correct losing team for each game, a penalty for the differential between the actual winning team's runs and their guess for each game, and a penalty for the differential between the actual winning team's runs and their guess for each game.

For example, here is the calculation for Rally Monkey's prediction on the First Game in Panama City. He predicted Panama 16 Brazil 1. The actual final score was Brazil 3 Panama 2. So he got zero points for predicting the winning team; zero points for predicting the losing team; 16 minus 3 = 13 penalty points for the differential between the actual winning team's runs and his guess for the winning team's runs; and 2 minus 1 = 1 penalty point for the differential between the actual losing team's runs and his guess for the losing team's runs. So adding it all up, he received 0 + 0 - 13 - 1 = -14 poings for this game.

Here are the results:

Rally Monkey --- for Panama City 6; for New Taipei City 90; Overall 96 points.

New England Amazins --- for Panama City 9; for New Taipei City 62; Overall 71 points.

PLowry --- for Panama City -24; for New Taipei City 29; Overall 5 points.

Hope you will participate in the March 2013 WBC Contest.

Paragraph 2 above got garbled, stating winning where it should have stated losing. Here is the corrected second paragraph for the above post:

To review, each contestant received ten points for having the correct winning team for each game, ten points for having the correct losing team for each game, a penalty for the differential between the actual winning team's runs and their guess for each game, and a penalty for the differential between the actual losing team's runs and their guess for each game.

So I just got an invite to a Facebook event entitled "Coming Together to Protest the WBC." At first, I wondered why people were organizing a mass protest against the World Baseball Classic. Then I realized it was the other WBC, the one we don't like, the one who is coming to Connecticut to protest at children's funerals.

What does it say about me that the first WBC I think of, even in times like this, is the World Baseball Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by ddrapayo View Post
    So I just got an invite to a Facebook event entitled "Coming Together to Protest the WBC." At first, I wondered why people were organizing a mass protest against the World Baseball Classic. Then I realized it was the other WBC, the one we don't like, the one who is coming to Connecticut to protest at children's funerals.

What does it say about me that the first WBC I think of, even in times like this, is the World Baseball Classic?
    It means that you, sir, are a baseball fan.

Another great issue of Baseball America gives good coverage to the WBC.

Page 11 and page 30 in the Dec 11 - Jan 1 issue are devoted to the November Qualifiers.

Both are written by John Manuel.

The focal points are Brazil's unexpected success in Panama City, and Johnny Damon's participation with Team Thailand in New Taipei City.

Page 154 of 192 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast