Page 130 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 3833

Thread: 2013 World Baseball Classic

  1. #3226
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    191
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    That's great news. As a Mariner fan, I couldn't care less about the WBC. The last thing the Mariners need is their lone attraction blowing his shoulder out in a meaningless game against Panama.
    In case you don't know this is a site for WBC fans,and not for haters. So maybe you should go with your hate somewhere else.

  2. #3227
    Yeah, I thought the WBC is the only time to enjoy competitive games for Mariner players a la Ichiro.

  3. #3228
    Quote Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Yeah, I thought the WBC is the only time to enjoy competitive games for Mariner players a la Ichiro.
    Funny. And true!

    But you never know. The Hall of Fame triple threat of Justin Smoak, Dustin Ackley, and Brendan Ryan might lead this M's team to a World Series. Who can blame Felix for turning down a chance to play with second rate talents like Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gomez, and Pablo Sandoval when Michael Morse is back with Seattle. Sodo mojo!

  4. #3229
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    That's great news. As a Mariner fan, I couldn't care less about the WBC. The last thing the Mariners need is their lone attraction blowing his shoulder out in a meaningless game against Panama.
    You've just made an awesome decision of posting an ignorant comment on WBC forum! I've never thought that Mariners fans were that smart!

  5. #3230
    Quote Originally Posted by wbcno1fan View Post
    Cuba has a true national team,they routinely tour the world,which the same cannot be said about most of the other nations,at any given day they can upset rather beat any country in the world.
    But how many of the best baseball players in the world do they play on a routinely basis. And I am not just talking about MLB players, but minors and NPB and KBO. Cuba's has struggled by their standards lately. Lost olympics, world cup baseball and the last classic.

    Cuba is still a top 5 team but with the loss of key players and retirement of others it might not be easy. still I guarantee cuba gets to the 2nd round. Their only real challenge is korea and Japan. Who have not lost to any team but each other except for the one US bad call in 06.

  6. #3231
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    That's great news. As a Mariner fan, I couldn't care less about the WBC. The last thing the Mariners need is their lone attraction blowing his shoulder out in a meaningless game against Panama.
    As a baseball fan I am upset felix hernandez is out. And As a Venezuelan I am crushed felix is out. Pitching was my biggest worry for venezuela and to lose our top pitcher and one of the best pitchers in the last classic and the arguably the best pitcher in the world I dont know how Venezuela can make the finals. Feliz is key in beating the big lineups that Venezuela will face Puerto Rico and DR in the first round.

    Not to mention the 2nd round and if we make the semifinals.

    Real baseball fans love the classic. By the way do you really think the mariners will make it far just because of felix hernandez. They need a lot more then the best pitcher in baseball.

    Though I can't fault the guy for not playing after a 175m contract. Though I would never give a pitcher that kind of money. still felix is young and i know he will be in at least one more classic.

    For now this puts a lot of pressure on Sojo and other pitchers to pitch perfect against two teams that have the talent to make the finals. Hitting for Venezuela is now more important we have to run the score to give our pitchers as much help as possible.

  7. #3232
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,925
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by wbcno1fan View Post
    In case you don't know this is a site for WBC fans,and not for haters. So maybe you should go with your hate somewhere else.
    This thread may be dominated by WBC fans--but it isn't only for them. I won't protect someone like Phantom Dreamer from a little heat back for expressing less positive views of the WBC, but he is fully entitled to post such opinions here.

    Truthfully, what he expresses is one of the real problems for the WBC--how do you get pitchers to perform all out, without exposing them to injury, in this competition? Hitter injuries aren't as common nor, absent a beaning, likely to be as serious as pitcher arm trouble. I love the idea of the WBC, but I would be leery of putting my hometown team pitchers (Lee, Papelbon, Hamels, Halliday) out on the mound in the WBC, too. I have no such reservations about position players.
    Last edited by jalbright; 02-09-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  8. #3233
    I agree with most of that. But I didn't mind Peavy or Heath Bell pitching for Team USA back in '09. And I'm a big Padres fan.

    By the way, breaking news: Gio Gonzalez has been added to the USA's roster.

  9. #3234
    I'm assuming he's replacing Medlen. And I hope that means Verlander is still an option.

  10. #3235
    Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    This thread may be dominated by WBC fans--but it isn't only for them. I won't protect someone like Phantom Dreamer from a little heat back for expressing less positive views of the WBC, but he is fully entitled to post such opinions here.

    Truthfully, what he expresses is one of the real problems for the WBC--how do you get pitchers to perform all out, without exposing them to injury, in this competition? Hitter injuries aren't as common nor, absent a beaning, likely to be as serious as pitcher arm trouble. I love the idea of the WBC, but I would be leery of putting my hometown team pitchers (Lee, Papelbon, Hamels, Halliday) out on the mound in the WBC, too. I have no such reservations about position players.
    Well, I just don't understand.
    If you are worried about injury, how can you play the ballgame in the first place?

  11. #3236
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,925
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan View Post
    Well, I just don't understand.
    If you are worried about injury, how can you play the ballgame in the first place?
    For the ball clubs, the upside to letting a pitcher pitch in the WBC is small at best, at least right now. There's always a risk in pitchers pitching, as can readily be seen by the parade of guys who seem to be world beaters for a while, hurt their arms, and are never near that level again. When there's little upside, why would the clubs want to run that risk with a star pitcher. There just aren't as many hitters who suffer injuries that have that kind of effect on their play.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  12. #3237
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,868
    Blog Entries
    2
    There are many baseball fans that are very possessive of their team's players; maybe it's because professionalism has been a part of baseball since its inception in the United States. It obvious that most people have a nationality from birth and later in life they choose a team to follow, but many people behave like it's the other way around. Anyway, what can the WBCI do to attract more of the top Pitchers to participate?

  13. #3238
    Ironically, it's looking more and more like Felix's decision to skip the WBC is actually horrible news for the Mariners...because the rumor is that he failed a physical that was part of that long-term contract extension and might have a damaged elbow. And so it goes.

  14. #3239
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,925
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    There are many baseball fans that are very possessive of their team's players; maybe it's because professionalism has been a part of baseball since its inception in the United States. It obvious that most people have a nationality from birth and later in life they choose a team to follow, but many people behave like it's the other way around. Anyway, what can the WBCI do to attract more of the top Pitchers to participate?
    Some reasons why nationality doesn't trump my local team in this case is that the WBC is a relatively new entity, lasts only a short time, and only comes around every four years (now). My local team is here every year from April to sometime in October, and it's been here all my life. It's pretty clear which one provides me more baseball to follow.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  15. #3240
    Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    Some reasons why nationality doesn't trump my local team in this case is that the WBC is a relatively new entity, lasts only a short time, and only comes around every four years (now). My local team is here every year from April to sometime in October, and it's been here all my life. It's pretty clear which one provides me more baseball to follow.
    I think the thing is for a average MLB fan is that baseball best players always play in the US. Football as various league that feature superstars, brazil, england, italy, france, argentina etc.

    Baseball's best play in Major League Baseball. Some of course play in NPB but primarily they are all Japanese players. So for a american to watch baseball they just need to watch MLB. The US never cared much about international competition because it always said we already have high quality baseball.

    But for a international baseball fan the classic is the best event to watch. Mainly because it features the best players from their home countries. As a Venezuelan I always wondered what would happen if a all Venezuelan Team made up of the best Venezuelans could beat the best of the US or DR.

    The classic gave me that answer. Baseball players never really had a international venue were they could represent their country. Olympics didnt really count. But now we finally have it.

    And it will grow this is the best baseball event in the world. For me MLB season doesn't get interesting until september too many games. But for the classic every game is a do or die situation and you have to be the best team everyday.

    When I lived in japan I saw the koshien tournament and to me that tournament's style and effort to win by the players impressed me more then any playoff I have seen.

    The classic brings that same pressure everyday. Though the players dont try as hard they need to be on top form every game they play. 2 losses are a exist.

  16. #3241

  17. #3242
    Once again, I got a facebook invite to "Stop the WBC" and thought it was the World Baseball Classic when it was really the Westboro Baptist Church protesting in my hometown (alas, I'm at college now and can't counterprotest - when they protest in Connecticut I'm at home for break, and when they protest in my hometown, I'm in Connecticut for school. Go figure.). This is the second time since December. Can't baseball pick an abbreviation that doesn't already belong to a crazy offensive nutjob group? They wouldn't call it KKK, even if it actually stood for something that made sense, so I say they pick a new abbreviation.

    Then again, the World Baseball Classic is not just for Americans, and I doubt many foreigners know of the evil WBC. So perhaps it makes sense. But now I'm getting 30 Facebook alerts a day telling me to Stop the WBC, and I like the World Baseball Classic, so it's kind of awkward. Especially since this isn't the first time....

  18. #3243
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,868
    Blog Entries
    2
    There are too many WBCs in this world, how about the World Boxing Council turning 50 this year.

  19. #3244
    I'm sure some people call the Westboro Baptist Church the "WBC". But it's not common. What is more likely, I think, is that people will think of boxing before baseball when the term "WBC" is used. That's one reason why MLB and its flacks seem to prefer calling it by its full name--or simply "Classic".

  20. #3245
    For those of you who think the World Baseball Classic's eligibility standards are way too liberal, consider this: Bruce Chen withdrew from Team China today because he was having too much trouble providing documentation of his grandparents' link to China.

    In other news, national team training camps have opened. Team China lost its exhibition game against the KBO's NC Dinos 6-1 in Arizona. And the Orange beat Gateway Community College (also in Arizona), 6-1. See here for more.

  21. #3246
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    That's great news. As a Mariner fan, I couldn't care less about the WBC. The last thing the Mariners need is their lone attraction blowing his shoulder out in a meaningless game against Panama.

    great...then let him blow it out in a meaningless game against AA players in Peoria, Arizona....Stop the nonsense Phantom. History has shown it has NOT led to arm injuries. So sick of that argument. It's baseball. It's an unnatural act, and an injury can happen ANYTIME. Mo Rivera blew out his knee farting around before a game. So enough already with that lame argument.

  22. #3247
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,925
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post
    great...then let him blow it out in a meaningless game against AA players in Peoria, Arizona....Stop the nonsense Phantom. History has shown it has NOT led to arm injuries. So sick of that argument. It's baseball. It's an unnatural act, and an injury can happen ANYTIME. Mo Rivera blew out his knee farting around before a game. So enough already with that lame argument.
    I don't see it as a lame argument. They'll shut somebody down fast in spring training if there's a problem, because the games don't count. The managers in the Classic aren't in that position--but the major league franchises who are paying these pitchers has to worry about a pitcher hurting himself going all out for his country in a game that doesn't count for them. Moreover, what about the fact pitchers in the Classic are likely putting in more competitive innings than in spring training, which could impact the season, much less any potential postseason? The cumulative effect of those competitive innings is a legitimate concern. Now, the WBC IIRC uses pitcher limits to at least lessen those concerns, but doing so undermines the playoff feel of the Classic itself. It's a difficult issue for the Classic to deal with.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  23. #3248
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    For those of you who think the World Baseball Classic's eligibility standards are way too liberal, consider this: Bruce Chen withdrew from Team China today because he was having too much trouble providing documentation of his grandparents' link to China.

    In other news, national team training camps have opened. Team China lost its exhibition game against the KBO's NC Dinos 6-1 in Arizona. And the Orange beat Gateway Community College (also in Arizona), 6-1. See here for more.
    My last comment on this issue till after the WBC, but I think it actually shows it is still liberal........

  24. #3249
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    796

  25. #3250
    Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    For the ball clubs, the upside to letting a pitcher pitch in the WBC is small at best, at least right now. There's always a risk in pitchers pitching, as can readily be seen by the parade of guys who seem to be world beaters for a while, hurt their arms, and are never near that level again. When there's little upside, why would the clubs want to run that risk with a star pitcher. There just aren't as many hitters who suffer injuries that have that kind of effect on their play.
    And then you have idiots like the Washington Nationals that threw away a chance to win the World Series over an artificial injury concern. Here's an analogy:

    "Hi Russell Wilson. You've had an excellent year playing quarterback for us here in Seattle. As we're coming up here on week 16, we're going to shut you down and have Matt Flynn play the rest of snaps for the season and playoffs. You've taken too many hits in the open field and we value you as a long-term investment, so we're going to stop you from playing incase you might get hurt."
    Last edited by Cincy Fan; 02-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Page 130 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •