Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unit312J
    • Dec 2007

It will effect the championship team that Taiwan sends, and it just didn't make much sense to have two tournaments going on at the same time during that time of year when they could be separate..

Now, I heard today, from sources I will not reveal, that an announcement will come the first week of March, but that the November dates in Taiwan look to be correct, and that the other qualifiers, dates unknown, but likely in September will be held in Germany, Panama, and Florida!

We shall see eventually!

Comment

• Unit312J
      • Dec 2007

Paula....please tell me that was Die Fantastichen Vier singing that song for that video!!!! And tell me where I can download it as well!!!!!

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
        Playertobenamedlater
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Paula59 View Post
        check out the wbc qualifier 2012 host venue bid webpage of Regensburg http://www.worldbaseballclassic.de/
        the vid shows you some impressions of the WC 2009 at Regensburg with China, Venezuela, USA and Germany
        That song is too "in your face" for my liking

Originally posted by Unit312J View Post
        It will effect the championship team that Taiwan sends, and it just didn't make much sense to have two tournaments going on at the same time during that time of year when they could be separate..

Now, I heard today, from sources I will not reveal, that an announcement will come the first week of March, but that the November dates in Taiwan look to be correct, and that the other qualifiers, dates unknown, but likely in September will be held in Germany, Panama, and Florida!

We shall see eventually!
        If true, then Canada could be playing in Florida. My guess is they will be grouped with Spain, France and the United States of Great Britain.

Comment

• Unit312J
          • Dec 2007

I am thinking with all the retired Jewish people in Florida that you can send Spain to Germany, and put Israel in Florida..... And the qualifier to be at would be in Panama with Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua!

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
            Playertobenamedlater
            • Apr 2007

I am thinking with all the retired Jewish people in Florida that you can send Spain to Germany, and put Israel in Florida..... And the qualifier to be at would be in Panama with Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua!
            I thought of that too, but Israel may be too much of a threat to Canada's chances of advancing; Israel may have a roster full of former MLB and current MiLB players and very few Israelis. Team Israel could be a favorite if placed in Germany with South Africa and the Czech Republic.
            Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• SDL
              Who the hell is Stan Papi
              • Sep 2006

If Israel DOES play in Florida AND Israel names either Ron Blomberg or Art Shamsky as manager, all the retired NYers will DEFINITELY show.
              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                • Jul 2006

Those sites make a lot of sense. I'm sure I've predicted them all at one time or another. (But then I've pretty much predicted every city in the world would host a round. Cover my bases.)

I think certainly Team Israel would play in a Florida-based qualifier. Why not? The fans are there, the team's chief financial backer is there, and the threat of a potential underdog challenger to Team Canada will encourage the Canucks to try to field the best team they can. (A September series, though, will make it impossible, of course, for major leaguers to make it.)

So (assuming this speculation is right), here's what we've got: Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, and New Zealand in the Taiwan pool (unless the Japan mess isn't figured out by November, and Taiwan gets promoted as a replacement); South Africa, Germany, Czech Republic, and Spain in Regensburg; Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua in Panama; and Canada, Israel, France, and Great Britain in Florida. Lots of interesting story lines there.

Comment

• SDL
                  Who the hell is Stan Papi
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
                  Those sites make a lot of sense. I'm sure I've predicted them all at one time or another. (But then I've pretty much predicted every city in the world would host a round. Cover my bases.)

I think certainly Team Israel would play in a Florida-based qualifier. Why not? The fans are there, the team's chief financial backer is there, and the threat of a potential underdog challenger to Team Canada will encourage the Canucks to try to field the best team they can. (A September series, though, will make it impossible, of course, for major leaguers to make it.)

So (assuming this speculation is right), here's what we've got: Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, and New Zealand in the Taiwan pool (unless the Japan mess isn't figured out by November, and Taiwan gets promoted as a replacement); South Africa, Germany, Czech Republic, and Spain in Regensburg; Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Nicaragua in Panama; and Canada, Israel, France, and Great Britain in Florida. Lots of interesting story lines there.
                  Florida Qualifier would best be played in November. Major leaguers would be available and the temps are a bit more moderate, with less humidity. They could be held here in the Tampa Bay area. Al Lang Stadiium, Bright House Field, Steinbrenner Field and Florida Auto Exchange Stadium are four parks that would be sufficient.
                  sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Paula59
                    • Jan 2008

Paula....please tell me that was Die Fantastichen Vier singing that song for that video!!!! And tell me where I can download it as well!!!!!
                    would love it would be Fanta 4 but it is "just" a local Regensburg band. Have send you the mp3 file.

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins
                    That song is too "in your face" for my liking
                    true but I kind of like the song

For those interested here is the musicvid live performance closing ceremony BBWC 09 Regensburg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rawL_MQhcA
                    You can find some more vids of the WC Regensburg there too as it gives a good view about the atmosphere
                    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

• PLowry
                      • Jan 2007

There are some confusing issues here. (1) We hear speculation about using various minor league ballparks in Florida for the Qualifying Round, with " satisfactory " capacity. It seems that everyone on this blog is resigned to Qualifying Round games drawing measly crowds of 3000 or 4000. Let's say that #7 Taiwan, #15 Panama, and #17 Germany are hosting the other three pools. So potentially this qualifying round pool is being displaced from Toronto to Florida. (2) Why would #6 Canada not be interested in hosting this pool instead of going down to Florida ? A #6 team would seem to have the talent to go all the way into the semifinals. (3) Why wouldn't the WBC want to highlight their newest stadium, Marlins Ballpark in Miami ? (4) It would seem to me that a well-promoted pool in either Toronto or Miami could easily draw an average of 15,000 fans, with the most interesting games drawing upwards of 20,000 or 25,000. Why does everyone assume that these games will be trivial in terms of attendance ?

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
                        Playertobenamedlater
                        • Apr 2007

Here are some attendance figures from the last time Panama and Germany hosted an International event; and the attendance figures from Nicaragua's games in Panama. How much of an increase in attendance can we expect for the WBC Qualifiers?

Attendance from Panama 2011 BWC
                        Panama vs.
                        PHP Code:
                        Greece        20,000
                        Taiwan         3
                        Puerto Rico    6
                        Japan          7
                        Canada         7
                        Netherlands    7
                        USA            4
                        Venezuela      5
                        South Korea    2
                        Australia        100
                        Cuba           2
                        Venezuela        100 
                        Attendance from Germany 2009 BWC
                        Germany vs.
                        PHP Code:
                        China        5,300
                        USA          9
                        Venezuela    6
                        Attendance from Panama 2011 BWC
                        Nicaragua vs.
                        PHP Code:
                        Germany          400
                        Venezuela      2
                        Italy            250
                        Australia        400
                        South Korea    2
                        Dominincan Rep 5
                        Cuba           5

Comment

• cutchemist42
                          • Dec 2006

Something to remember is that there are a lot of Snowbirds in Florida, Canadians who retire or go on vacation in warmer climates. There's enough Canadians in Florida that they thought it safe to put ice hockey teams in Tampa and Miami. It's why I don't mind Canada playing in Florida, there will be fans down there for them.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                            • Jul 2006

Not sure what Phil Lowry's talking about. WBC Inc.'s bid invitations said that the organizers want the stadiums in the qualifying rounds to seat at least 10,000 fans. And Champion Stadium at Orlando's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has just under that. Remember, that's where one of the first-round pools was held during the '06 Classic.

I don't think anyone's resigned to small crowds for the qualifiers. (Although there might be.) But the WBC never planned for them to be held in a stadium the size of the Rogers Center or the new Marlins ballbark. I'd expect crowds in the 5000-10,000 range.

Comment

• Unit312J
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by PLowry View Post
                              There are some confusing issues here. (1) We hear speculation about using various minor league ballparks in Florida for the Qualifying Round, with " satisfactory " capacity. It seems that everyone on this blog is resigned to Qualifying Round games drawing measly crowds of 3000 or 4000. Let's say that #7 Taiwan, #15 Panama, and #17 Germany are hosting the other three pools. So potentially this qualifying round pool is being displaced from Toronto to Florida. (2) Why would #6 Canada not be interested in hosting this pool instead of going down to Florida ? A #6 team would seem to have the talent to go all the way into the semifinals. (3) Why wouldn't the WBC want to highlight their newest stadium, Marlins Ballpark in Miami ? (4) It would seem to me that a well-promoted pool in either Toronto or Miami could easily draw an average of 15,000 fans, with the most interesting games drawing upwards of 20,000 or 25,000. Why does everyone assume that these games will be trivial in terms of attendance ?
                              Simply stated.....history.... I've been to a lot of International events, and while this means more than others, it is to new and without the marquee teams that will draw the big attendance.... in my opinion.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                                • Jul 2006

Simply stated.....history.... I've been to a lot of International events, and while this means more than others, it is to new and without the marquee teams that will draw the big attendance.... in my opinion.
                                I mean, that's right. Why would we think there'd be 20,000 fans in the seats to see, say, a Canada versus Great Britain game? Especially if, as expected, no big leaguers play? Heck, the Canada-Italy game only attracted 12,000 fans in Toronto back in '09. And that roster included Joey Votto, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, and Matt Stairs!

Sure, promotion helps. And if the organizers did a better job, it could've been higher. But, come on. A qualifying event? 10,000 is optimistic.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X