X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Americanoutlaw2.0
    • Apr 2008

2013 World Baseball Classic

Yea,I know the 09 WBC is not over and it too soon to talk about the 2013 WBC but I like talk a little bit about 2013 WBC. one thing I like to ask if they should they move the WBC and have it in Nov and DEC??? And they may have over 26 teams next time around so what countries you think could get pick??
  • ROC~~
    • Oct 2007

I don't think the next WBC will expand to 26 teams, maybe the next WBC will increase 4 more teams
    Maybe Nicaragua, Colombia, Spain, Philippines...

Comment

• dree74
      • Jan 2009

about the expanding participants subject,

26 can't be a good number.

assuming that each group contains 4 countries, the total number of participants has to be the multiplication of 4.

thus, either 24 (4 x 6 ) or 28 ( 4 x 7)

latter 28 (4 x 7 ) won't be a good choice since the 2nd round will usually start with 2 teams advanced from each group, but teams advanced from 7th group won't have the pair.

so, I think if there is expansion in 2013, it will be 24 teams total or 32.

32 is good number (FIFA use it for world cup) but then, there aren't many countries out there that can be fit into 32.

24, however, I think it is possible.

24 teams (4 teams in each pool, and there will be 6 pool)

2 teams advance from each group (12 advanced team total) and select 4 teams from wild cards and let 16 countries divided into another group of 4. (2nd round)

and 8 teams advance from the 2nd round, and from there, they should do one-game elimination till the final.

it is just one of my ideas that i thought of when the group for 2009 was announced.

Comment

• Mischa
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ROC~~ View Post
        I don't think the next WBC will expand to 26 teams, maybe the next WBC will increase 4 more teams
        Maybe Nicaragua, Colombia, Spain, Philippines...
        The Philippines? What about Germany, Brazil or other countries with better track records?

Comment

• cutchemist42
          • Dec 2006

I would like to see atleast 20 teams next time (didnt they say they were thining of doing 24 with qualis?)

I also want the elimination style format to stay with either double elimination or triple in each pool. I would figured out the math on either if the WBC moved to more teams but I'm getting to class now.

Also, if it's just increased to 20, I would still want the 2013 to be invitations, I don't think the WBC is ready to have 24 teams and to have qualis just yet. If I had to select 4 more teams it would be...

-1 more European-Germany, Spain, Czech
          -2 more Americas-Brazil, Columbia, Nicaruaga, or anyone else that skips my mind
          -1 more Asian-Thailand, Phillippines, India, etc

Comment

• Mischa
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
            Also, if it's just increased to 20, I would still want the 2013 to be invitations, I don't think the WBC is ready to have 24 teams and to have qualis just yet. If I had to select 4 more teams it would be...
            The 2009 Baseball World Cup will have 22 teams and there are a couple like Panama and Brazil which are as good as some of the 22 which are included.

-1 more European-Germany, Spain, Czech
            -2 more Americas-Brazil, Columbia, Nicaruaga, or anyone else that skips my mind
            -1 more Asian-Thailand, Phillippines, India, etc
            India almost never plays in the Asian Championships even. Thailand or the Philippines if you need a 5th Asian team.

Curacao's team separate from the regular Dutch team would be better than Colombia, as they showed in the 2008 Americas Baseball Cup - guys like Ardley Jansen, Randolph Kirindongo, Lorvin Louisa, Johnny Gregorius, etc.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
              • Jul 2006

The only number I've seen reported for the 2013 WBC is 24 teams. The WBC Committe apparently voted to consider expanding the tournament to 24 teams and to have qualifying rounds. It's not clear to me whether the qualifying rounds will have 24 teams, or whether the qualifying rounds will be open to more teams with the main tournament capped at 24 teams. I can see it going either way.

Assuming the tournament will include 24 invited teams, here's how I think it should shake out:

Add to the existing 16 teams the following 8 countries:

(1) Colombia
              (2) Nicaragua
              (3) Brazil
              (4) Philippines
              (5) Thailand
              (6) Germany
              (7) Czech Republic
              (8) Spain

Comment

• dree74
                • Jan 2009

I read somewhere in the wikipedia that Israel submitted the application for WBC

I don't know / I haven't heard how it turned out.

Wiki was telling that Israel wants to participate with Jewish-American MLB players like Shawn Green.

Comment

• Americanoutlaw2.0
                  • Apr 2008

if they have 26-24 teams I like to see them make the roster bit bigger like 32 players with 5 starting pitchers

Comment

• cutchemist42
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Mischa View Post
                    The 2009 Baseball World Cup will have 22 teams and there are a couple like Panama and Brazil which are as good as some of the 22 which are included.

India almost never plays in the Asian Championships even. Thailand or the Philippines if you need a 5th Asian team.

Curacao's team separate from the regular Dutch team would be better than Colombia, as they showed in the 2008 Americas Baseball Cup - guys like Ardley Jansen, Randolph Kirindongo, Lorvin Louisa, Johnny Gregorius, etc.
                    Well the Baseball World Cup doesn't involve MLB players and Korea and Japan also don't send their best. I'm just saying I think a 24th team like the Czechs might get simply embarrassed in a tourney featuring better players then what's seen in the World Cups.

If 20 teams doesn't work mathematically with pool play or elimination style, then go for 24. I'd rather 24 too just dont think we have that many skilled enough nations yet to be competitive.

Comment

• Pere
                      One to Cross 'Em Up
                      • Oct 2007

Of course, you don't have to start all the teams at the same level.

That is, you could have a tiered tournament, a kind of qualifying round, in which the teams that don't make it out of this year's first round start in pools with all the newly-invited countries... this spares the weaker of those teams from humiliation at the hands of powerhouses, and gives the stronger a chance to actually win a game or two, which would probably do more for a nascent program than an unmitigated thrashing and a ticket back home.

Advancers from that group then meet the second-round qualifiers from this year.

Comment

• Mischa
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
                        Well the Baseball World Cup doesn't involve MLB players and Korea and Japan also don't send their best. I'm just saying I think a 24th team like the Czechs might get simply embarrassed in a tourney featuring better players then what's seen in the World Cups.

If 20 teams doesn't work mathematically with pool play or elimination style, then go for 24. I'd rather 24 too just dont think we have that many skilled enough nations yet to be competitive.
                        The Czech Republic is probably as good as South Africa, which has played in both WBCs.

Comment

• ShawnC
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                          Of course, you don't have to start all the teams at the same level.

That is, you could have a tiered tournament, a kind of qualifying round, in which the teams that don't make it out of this year's first round start in pools with all the newly-invited countries... this spares the weaker of those teams from humiliation at the hands of powerhouses, and gives the stronger a chance to actually win a game or two, which would probably do more for a nascent program than an unmitigated thrashing and a ticket back home.

Advancers from that group then meet the second-round qualifiers from this year.
                          This is probably the most likely format. Preliminaries preceding a first-round and then the second round, semi-finals and final.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ShawnC View Post
                            This is probably the most likely format. Preliminaries preceding a first-round and then the second round, semi-finals and final.
                            I absolutely agree. They could do it a few ways. Take the bottom eight teams from the current tournament and put them in four four-team preliminary or qualifying pools for the '13 Classic. Then add eight new teams to those. The top two teams from each pool would advance to the main rounds.

Alternatively, they could take the bottom four teams from the '09 WBC (that is, the first to exit each pool) and place them in three four-team pools. The top teams from each pool would advance, as would the top team left under some tie-breaker rule (runs scored, etc.)

So here's what it would look like. Assuming the most likely final records for this tournament--and using my proposed teams above--the preliminary round of 16 could be something like this:

Pool 1: China, Taiwan, Philippines, Thailand.
                            Pool 2: Panama, Canada, Colombia, Nicaragua
                            Pool 3: Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Czech Rep.
                            Pool 4: Australia, South Africa, Brazil, Spain

Alternatively, three pools could look like this (and I'm obviously guessing who the bottom four teams will be this year):

Pool 1: China, Philippines, Thailand, South Africa
                            Pool 2: Panama, Colombia, Nicaragua, Brazil
                            Pool 3: Italy, Germany, Czech Rep., Spain

Or something like that.

Comment

• Americanoutlaw2.0
                              • Apr 2008

Right now thy are look at 24 counties

Here some of the counties I like to see

Greece
                              UK
                              Spain