• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pere
    One to Cross 'Em Up
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    MLB has emphatically promised Miami officials that the WBC will be located there in 2013 if the county agrees to build the Marlins a new ballpark. Now that that's happened, I don't see how the WBC reneges on its promise. Too bad because, as I've written here for months, Miami hates going to baseball games.
    The current Miami ballpark is not exactly in a great location--long way from the city center, not well connected for transport options. And it's a rather hideous structure for hosting baseball. Might the new one be better?
    Last edited by Pere; 03-26-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• cutchemist42
      • Dec 2006

I think it was already said and I agreed with it greatly; quarter-finals, semis, and final game in one location. I think the perfect lcoation would be LA; Angels Stadium and Dodger Stadium both have proven good venues to drawing people. I also think it would be easier for out-of-towners knowing they could plan a trip for one location instead following their team from Miami-LA and San Diego-LA like this year. If not LA because of Miami having a deal because of the new stadium; Miami and Tampa being the only hosts of quarters,semis, and finals would still be good. I just think LA has the diverse culture to support different national teams because of heritage.

I like the idea of play-in because alot of those countries don't have a majority of their team being comprised of MLBers who might not want to leave camp for a qualifier. I would make it the 8 teams who didnt qualify for quarters in the 09 WBC and 8 other teams. However, under my plan Canada/DR would probably be greatly affected by this if they couldn't get their MLBers for a play-in.

Lastly, I think the play-in needs to happen in 2012 because we will need something to replace the importance of what the 2012 Olympic tourney would have provided for international baseball that year.

Comment

• PLowry
        • Jan 2007

Wbc 2013

It will be fascinating to see how MLB tweaks the WBC structure to accommodate 24 or more teams in 2013. Hopefully, home games will find their way to deserving nations such as Korea, Dominican, Cuba, Venezuela, etc.

One option that has not been so far considered is a single-elimination tournament. It certainly succeeds for NCAA basketball's March Madness, so why not ?

MLB, MLBPA, the media, and the players are all concerned over excessive off-days, and the length (18 days) of the current double-elimination format, which this year caused Spring Training to open two weeks earlier than normal, and Opening Day to be pushed back a week.

So why not try single-elimination? There certainly would not be any more boring "seeding games" ! And the length of the overall tournament would be reduced from 18 to just eight (8) days.

You could REALLY stimulate global growth of the game, by inviting 64 nations, with 13 of them serving as host cities.

You could have eight sites for two days in the First Round, each reducing their number of teams on the first day from 8 to 4, and on the second day from 4 to 2. There would be four games at each site on the first day, at 9 AM, 1 PM, 5 PM, and 9 PM, and two games at each site on the second day, at 12 Noon (for teams who had played at 9 AM or 1 PM the previous day), and at 7 PM (for teams who had played at 5 PM or 9 PM the previous day). Now there would be 16 nations left for the Second Round. The third and fourth days of the Tournament would be travel days.

You could have four different sites for two days in the Second Round, each reducing their number of teams from 4 to 2 on the first day, and from 2 to one of the second day. Now there would be 4 nations left for the Semi Final Round. The fifth and sixth days of the Tournament would be travel days.

You could have the Semi Final and Final Round over two days, reducing the field to one World Champion. The Semi-Final Round would be played as a day - night doubleheader, on the seventh day of the Tournament. Then the Final Game would be played in the evening of the eighth day of the Tournament.

Eight days, rather than 18 days. Two days off between each round for travel, so that there is plenty of rest for teams traveling long distances. 64 nations rather than just 16.

The great thing about this idea is that there would be thirteen (13) host cities, rather than just seven as in the current format. Deserving cities like Seoul, Korea; Havana, Cuba; Santo Domingo, Dominican; and Caracas, Venezuela could be seriously considered as host cities. The site for the Semi Final and Final Round could be placed permanently at Dodger Stadium, which certainly did a good job of hosting this year's final weekend; or it could be rotated; or it could be hosted by the Defending Champions.

Phil Lowry

Comment

• Rally Monkey
          • Jul 2006

64 teams? Maybe some day. As it now stands, IBAF only ranks 44 countries and territories. And those includes traditional international baseball powerhouses such as Lesotho and Pakistan.

Comment

• PLowry
            • Jan 2007

Could 64 Nations Field a WBC Team in 2013

Rally Monkey,

You write that the IBAF only ranks 44 nations, including baseball powerhouses Lesotho and Pakistan. If we all agree we would like to see global development of baseball, and its readmission to the Olympics in 2016, then we have to include countries like Lesotho and Pakistan.

More important than how many nations are ranked by the IBAF, is how many nations' baseball federations are listed in the IBAF Media Guide. That number is 116. Out of these 116 nations with a baseball federation, it would be possible to pick the 64 top nations to invite to the WBC, wouldn't it ?

Comment

• twinsfan09
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by USA09 View Post
              If any early round games are played in the United States I hope they are played in Spring Training stadiums. A packed 9,000-13,000 seat park looks a lot better than a half full giant MLB stadium. Unless, of course, they wanted to have the U.S. play a few games in Milwaukee (that would be just fine with me ) I wonder what kind of crowd the Japan team would draw at Safeco Field?
              or the Metrodome since the Vikings are not getting a new stadium. You could get a big crowd without team USA because if Canada plays many Minnesotans would show up to watch Jusin Monroe or the DR if Liriano is pitching becuase when the NHL did their world cup of hockey the excel sold out to watch Gaborick play for Slovakia against Finland.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by PLowry View Post
                More important than how many nations are ranked by the IBAF, is how many nations' baseball federations are listed in the IBAF Media Guide. That number is 116. Out of these 116 nations with a baseball federation, it would be possible to pick the 64 top nations to invite to the WBC, wouldn't it ?
                No, Phil. Just because someone has a P.O. Box and is formally recognized by the IBAF doesn't mean they can field a 25-man roster for an international baseball tournament. At least Lesotho and Pakistan have actually competed in IBAF-sanctioned tournaments. That's why they're ranked.

I don't think the cause of internationalizing baseball would be much advanced by having Venezuela rule run Tunisia by 72 runs in 5 innings. It would be embarrassing.

Having said that, after a generation or so there will surely be more parity in international play. A full 64-team single-elimination tournament may be the right way to go then. For now, though, I vote no.

Comment

• Mischa
                  • Jul 2005

I don't think the cause of internationalizing baseball would be much advanced by having Venezuela rule run Tunisia by 72 runs in 5 innings. It would be embarrassing.

Having said that, after a generation or so there will surely be more parity in international play. A full 64-team single-elimination tournament may be the right way to go then. For now, though, I vote no.
                  I agree. A 32-team might work out. In addition to the 16 who played in 2009, you could add:

Nicaragua
                  Colombia
                  Brazil
                  Netherlands Antilles
                  Guatemala
                  Germany
                  France
                  Spain
                  Sweden
                  Russia
                  Ukraine
                  Great Britain
                  Croatia
                  Czech Republic
                  Thailand
                  Philippines

Or replace Ukraine with Belgium or Guatemala with Argentina or something.

Comment

• ShawnC
                    • Feb 2008

No, Phil. Just because someone has a P.O. Box and is formally recognized by the IBAF doesn't mean they can field a 25-man roster for an international baseball tournament. At least Lesotho and Pakistan have actually competed in IBAF-sanctioned tournaments. That's why they're ranked.

And I don't think some the IBAF members even have a proper P.O. Box......

Lesotho and Pakistan may have competed in IBAF sanctioned tournaments, but I distinctly recall some teams even withdrawing from IBAF sanctioned tournaments, including the Bahamas who are ranked (rather they just didn't show up for the 2003 qualification tournament in Panama and couldn't be contacted). In fact it seems like the Caribbean is prone to withdrawals - I think Aruba withdrew from the 2007 qualification tournament after it had progressed and about 2 or 3 teams had withdrawn without playing a game.

A 64-team single elimination tournament would have over half of the IBAF members, which would be kind of unfair on the other half. I also don't see how interest would be generated in the participating countries where baseball isn't popular if their teams only play one or two games and are then out (which they surely would be once they faced more meaningful opposition), especially since these games would not even be played at home. Parity may be achieved in a generation, but only if the sport is cultivated in those countries - many generations have passed since the first baseball world cup and baseball is still low on the radar in places like Tunisia and Britain (in fact one could say it has regressed in Britain).

Comment

• quinnystar27
                      • Apr 2007

i would love to see a single elimination tournament but i do not think we are ready for that yet. I think 24 nations for 2013 is just right lets not get to 32 just yet. I think after 2013 baseball will be back in the olympics and then emerging powers like china will get stronger and new baseball traditions will emerge. Now the nations that should be added in my opinion and this is open to debate are; Czech Republic, Germany, Spain, Nicaragua, Colombia,Russia, Great Britain, Brazil. I like brazil because of the mix of japanese brazilian players could add a strong team. Great Britain because i spent times in that league once and it has really developed and has a nice team coming up but a i think a lot depends on its world cup showing this november. Colombia can benefit from some major leaguers. Czech republic has got so 90 mph pitchers. Germany good batting, spain a mix of nationalities will add experience and maybe some good bats. Nicaragua i think will have a strong group of players. And russia has a good baseball history with victor starffin but i do not know much about this time but i hear they can play baseball. I like ghana and nigeria a lot but i do no think they are ready.

Comment

• Richard
                        • Aug 2007

Colombia and Nicaragua should both be included just because they actually are baseball countries that have produced MLB players. Brazil is a must because it is a nascent baseball country with a burgeoning baseball program with one hundred and eighty million citizens. MLB also needs a greater presence in South America. Germany, Spain and the Czech Republic are also nascent baseball countries that should be included to increase MLB presence in Europe especially considering the Olympics. How about the Phillipines?

Comment

• Pere
                          One to Cross 'Em Up
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by quinnystar27 View Post
                          i would love to see a single elimination tournament but i do not think we are ready for that yet. I think 24 nations for 2013 is just right lets not get to 32 just yet.
                          Why are we hot for a single-elimination tournament? Even with 32 countries, that's even fewer games than we just had, and half of them would play only once!

I want to see more countries added and more games!

Comment

• quinnystar27
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                            Why are we hot for a single-elimination tournament? Even with 32 countries, that's even fewer games than we just had, and half of them would play only once!

I want to see more countries added and more games!
                            I want to see the same, but I do not think the tournament is ready for that. If we had 32 teams i do not think like 7 of those 32 cant keep up with the netherlands so it would be a bit of a joke. After 2013 add more teams. I believe this because MLB right now is in the process of opening up 2 or 3 more europe academies, Rob Nyer of ESPN stated that MLB is trying to open up a branches in asia and possible a new MLB division in asia. So we can see other asian countries develop to the level were they can compete against Japan. You look at china that really started their baseball program not to long ago, but after MLB poured money into them they became a emerging power. But it took about 5-10 years. So I do not see teams yet that can be added to the 24 to make 32 that will be competitive. Remember one of the WBC selection of the originals nations were developed baseball programs who had a heavy influence on scouting. The sent scouts or looked at scouting information and asked can this country play against the best of the world, if scouts find players who have MLB tools in another countries great but if they dont i do not think we should have 32 teams for 2013. Remember 2009 WBC had some problems and they are still figuring it out do not do too much to fast.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by quinnystar27 View Post
                              I want to see the same, but I do not think the tournament is ready for that. If we had 32 teams i do not think like 7 of those 32 cant keep up with the netherlands so it would be a bit of a joke. After 2013 add more teams. I believe this because MLB right now is in the process of opening up 2 or 3 more europe academies, Rob Nyer of ESPN stated that MLB is trying to open up a branches in asia and possible a new MLB division in asia. So we can see other asian countries develop to the level were they can compete against Japan. You look at china that really started their baseball program not to long ago, but after MLB poured money into them they became a emerging power. But it took about 5-10 years. So I do not see teams yet that can be added to the 24 to make 32 that will be competitive. Remember one of the WBC selection of the originals nations were developed baseball programs who had a heavy influence on scouting. The sent scouts or looked at scouting information and asked can this country play against the best of the world, if scouts find players who have MLB tools in another countries great but if they dont i do not think we should have 32 teams for 2013. Remember 2009 WBC had some problems and they are still figuring it out do not do too much to fast.
                              I agree with all of this. Single-elimination would work for me if it comes after a round or two of pool play. Like the soccer world cup. Otherwise, too few match-ups.

One question: Do you have a link to the Rob Neyer comments? I missed those.

Comment

• Sweet_Bokke
                                RSA Baseball Fan
                                • Mar 2008

I'd quite like it to be organised like the Football World Cup providing they could stretch it to 32-teams without creating too much of an environment where minnow bashing was commonplace. At the moment it would be a bit of a stretch I think

8 Groups of 4 Teams- Top 2 Go Through, followed by straight knockout all the way to the final

For whatever reason the single-elimination game doesn't seem to be all that popular in the USA, but the point of the WBC seems to be spreading international baseball around the globe so I'd rather put that in instead of two rounds of double-elimination

Sian xx
                                Sian xx

South Africa Baseball-
                                Baseball World Cup- 9th (1974), 15th (1998), 14th (2001), 17th (2005), 15th (2007)
                                All-Africa Games- CHAMPIONS (1999 & 2003)
                                Olympic Baseball- 8th (2000)
                                World Baseball Classic- 16th (2006), 16th (2009)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X