Page 55 of 192 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3833

Thread: 2013 World Baseball Classic

I don't think putting china hosting a pool wouldn't make sense they don't care about baseball yet.how about panama hosting a qualifier if they do a decent job of the world cup this year. It will suck if japan doesn't play in the WBC 2013 I like to see Pakistan maybe Hong kong.

I think we are all overlooking the possiblity of a team from another region being added. It depends on expense. From what I know with my people in New Zealand once they head to the airport to fly to Taiwan or Thailand or wherever they are sent MLB picks all that up. Their expense comes in training equipment, flying the team from all over the world to New Zealand to train and catch the flight to wherever, and such. I say that because it is possible it is not Pakistan or Hong Kong, but say Sweden that takes the place of Japan. I know Dennis Cook was LIVID when they were not included, and while in the final field of 16 I don't see them being competitive, in a qualifier they would certainly be more qualified than Hong Kong and such. And if MLB is picking up the tab flying them to another region is not an issue.

The comments on here about television and stuff are accurate. In fact, if Japan is done, and Taiwan moves up, is there any need to play a qualifer in Asia at all. Maybe they are combined. Maybe those three or maybe four teams if the replacement is named, are split up and sent to Panama and Colombia and that group is split. Panama and Nicaraga and two Asian teams and then Brazil and Colombia and two Asian teams or a European team.

All we know is this really is a drag not knowing! For those of us who would like to attend if a qualifier is held in a country he's not seen baseball in, and in all the scenarios we have talked about here that would be Thailand, then an announcement would be cool so I can plan the other International trips and such. Just get to it already!!!!

Blog Entries
    So is Japan in or out?

Quote Originally Posted by wbcno1fan View Post
    I believe the championship game should stay at Dodger Stadium,South Florida has never really supported The Marlins other than during playoff games,and the WBC is still a relatively new idea that many fans don't take yet serioulsy,Japan and S.Korea are the best two teams,and they could repeat in '13,that could spell disaster for the Final's attendance,however if one the great Latin teams does make it to the Final,then i can forsee a sold out or near sold out.
    Miami will not get the Championship Game. There's always a good chance that Cuba will advance to the Final and having a Cuban team play in S. Florida is literally asking for trouble.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

My sources have informed me that this is indeed the last World Cup. The World Baseball Classic will be the World Championship event, and in the off years, so in 2015 and 2019 they will hold the Premier 12 Tournament. The Premier 12 Tournament will consist of the top 12 teams from the prior World Baseball Classic. It is believed that the Premier Tournament will be run under similar rules as the World Cup, meaning no 40 man roster players and such..

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post
    My sources have informed me that this is indeed the last World Cup. The World Baseball Classic will be the World Championship event, and in the off years, so in 2015 and 2019 they will hold the Premier 12 Tournament. The Premier 12 Tournament will consist of the top 12 teams from the prior World Baseball Classic. It is believed that the Premier Tournament will be run under similar rules as the World Cup, meaning no 40 man roster players and such..

Interesting...
    They should hold that tournament at least once here in tampa bay..lots of stadiums for it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Miami will not get the Championship Game. There's always a good chance that Cuba will advance to the Final and having a Cuban team play in S. Florida is literally asking for trouble.
    Dear Yankee hater,that brief i got is from the SUNSHINE STATE NEWS,don't know how accurate it is,but it seemed legit. Oh and by the way LETS GO YANKEES.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post

Interesting...
    I wonder what the thinking is behind this "Premier 12" tournament? I can't really think of the point--other than to insure that Cuba has a regular tournament it can play in.

What are the implications for the World Cup's qualifying tornamentns (you know, the European Cup, the Pan-American Games, things like that)? Will these become qualifiers now for the WBC? Does that mean that the WBC plans to end its own invitations qualifying round after 2012? And does that mean that the number of teams in the main tournament will increase?

Interesting indeed.

Dear Yankee hater,that brief i got is from the SUNSHINE STATE NEWS,don't know how accurate it is,but it seemed legit. Oh and by the way LETS GO YANKEES.
    It may seem legit, but whoever wrote it didn't get all the facts. Miami is full of Cuban exiles who won't take it too kindly if Cuba ever plays there. As long as Cuba is in the tournment, they cannot have a a Championship game in Miami. Risk factor is too great

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    I wonder what the thinking is behind this "Premier 12" tournament? I can't really think of the point--other than to insure that Cuba has a regular tournament it can play in.

What are the implications for the World Cup's qualifying tornamentns (you know, the European Cup, the Pan-American Games, things like that)? Will these become qualifiers now for the WBC? Does that mean that the WBC plans to end its own invitations qualifying round after 2012? And does that mean that the number of teams in the main tournament will increase?

Interesting indeed.
    Cuba has some tournaments they still play in...the Pan American Games, The Central American And Caribbean Games, Haarlem Baseball Week and The World Port Tournment.

I'd say it'sa good bet that the Euros, the Pan Ams would serve as qualifiers, as would the Asian Cup and other similar tournaments.

I've felt the ending of the Intercontinental Cup was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    I've felt the ending of the Intercontinental Cup was stupid.
    The Cup was created as a less expensive substitute for the BWC, as it was by invitation and there were no qualifiers, no need for 65 teams to be whittled down to 12 or 16. Besides, the host team invited the natural rivals besides the marquee teams and so increased the gate. But it could never work as a qualifier.
    The Classic will have to develop a more inclusive set of qualifiers (the Asian step system?), and though it will be the most important baseball event on Earth, it will also be the qualifier for the Premier Tourbament.

By the way, the sad spectacle of Japan in the BWC is probably part of their fight with the Classic people...

I remember when I was still a writer, I had asked somebody from USA Baseball why the US was not going to play in the 2006 Intercontinental Cup. I was told that USA Baseball considered the IC to be a "insignificant" tournament. Never did figure that one out.

Blog Entries
    Ending the World Cup is a good idea,having two tournament with the word WORLD in it is not smart,the average fan might not be able to see the difference between the two, IBAF's world cup is mostly amateur players while the WBC is indeed the real world tournament that features mostly professional players this is indeed the premier world baseball tournament. You don't see FIFA having two soccer tournaments with the word world in it (i know they have the under 21 world cup,but that is different),and besides ending the world cup was a condition MLB gave IBAF when they recently made some financial agreement. Also the average American fan doesn't even know there is a baseball world cup,but they do know about the WBC despite its short history.

. Also the average American fan doesn't even know there is a baseball world cup,but they do know about the WBC despite its short history.
    Certianly they won't know about the Cup here in Tampa Bay. Neither of the two newspapers here mentioned it at all...

Blog Entries
    Paul Archey, MLB's senior vice president of international business operations recently interviewed with Asahi Shimbun:
    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/...J2011101213427

What a surprise there fighting over money. Japan have alot of pride. I'm saying japan will play I'm gambling in that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    Paul Archey, MLB's senior vice president of international business operations recently interviewed with Asahi Shimbun:
    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/...J2011101213427
    I found that interview to be conciliatory and hopeful. The reporter tried to get Archey to get adversarial. And Archey wasn't biting. I'm more optimistic than before about getting a quick resolution here.

By the way, the NPB-MLB negotiations continue in New York today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    I found that interview to be conciliatory and hopeful. The reporter tried to get Archey to get adversarial. And Archey wasn't biting. I'm more optimistic than before about getting a quick resolution here.
    I'm optimistic too. What are your thoughts on Yomiuri Giant chairman Tsuneo Watanabe's comments on the topic?

Blog Entries
    Netherlands wins World Cup,this is a milestone for European baseball,this is in reality the first time Europe wins the cup (the first cup won by "England",was really a collection of Canadian players playing under the English banner),hopefully this is this the beginning of bigger and better things for European baseball. My congratulations to them.

Blog Entries
    Isn't the Netherlands predominately from the Caribbean and not really European?

Page 55 of 192 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast