Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: My first post on this message board

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    I live in Quebec
    Posts
    7

    My first post on this message board

    Good morning

    This is my first post on this Message Board. Since I use to be an Expos fan, it is fitting that it would be on this forum.

    I am a sports fan in general, but I have a soft spot for baseball because I have spent many days and evenings at Jarry Park and at the Big "O".

    I look forward to getting to know this MB and it's members.

    Regards
    Robert

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by rlg View Post
    Good morning

    This is my first post on this Message Board. Since I use to be an Expos fan, it is fitting that it would be on this forum.

    I am a sports fan in general, but I have a soft spot for baseball because I have spent many days and evenings at Jarry Park and at the Big "O".

    I look forward to getting to know this MB and it's members.

    Regards
    Robert
    Who is your all-time favorite Expos' player?

    The first Expo player I remember is Ron Fairly. My favorite is Gary Carter. I remember seeing him as the Expos' All-Star representative in the 1975 mid-summer classic in Milwaukee.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball fan in Milwaukee View Post
    Who is your all-time favorite Expos' player?

    My favorite is Gary Carter. I remember seeing him as the Expos' All-Star representative in the 1975 mid-summer classic in Milwaukee.
    I remember that Manager Walter Alston (Dodgers) tried to get every National Leaguer into that 1975 All-Star game. I also remember that rookie Gary Carter made a late inning apperence in that game as a Leftfielder and I believe someone hit a fly ball towards him and he recorded the last Put Out of the game. The memory of Carter patroling the outfield sticks in my mind as a very strange sight, indeed. Upon looking it up, however, Carter actually played a majority of his games in the outfield that year (92 in the OF as opposed to 66 at C) , the only year where he played a significant number of games at any position other than Catcher. He still ranks fourth on the all-time list for Games at Catcher, holds the National League record for games caught, and he is one of only five players to appear at Catcher in at least 2,000 games - (I. Rodriguez, C. Fisk, B. Boone, G. Carter, J. Kendall).
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 04-26-2011 at 05:22 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    I remember that Manager Walter Alston (Dodgers) tried to get every National Leaguer into that 1975 All-Star game. I also remember that rookie Gary Carter made a late inning apperence in that game as a Leftfielder and I believe someone hit a fly ball towards him and he recorded the last Put Out of the game. The memory of Carter patroling the outfield sticks in my mind as a very strange sight, indeed. Upon looking it up, however, Carter actually played a majority of his games in the outfield that year (92 in the OF as opposed to 66 at C) , the only year where he played a significant number of games at any position other than Catcher. He still ranks fourth on the all-time list for Games at Catcher, holds the National League record for games caught, and he is one of only five players to appear at Catcher in at least 2,000 games - (I. Rodriguez, C. Fisk, B. Boone, G. Carter, J. Kendall).


    Later in his career with the mets....davey Johnson on some very rare occasions used to have Carter start at 1st base....and i'm pretty sure he started a game in the outfield once as well for the mets (I believe it was April 1986......id have to look it up)
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    Later in his career with the mets....davey Johnson on some very rare occasions used to have Carter start at 1st base....and i'm pretty sure he started a game in the outfield once as well for the mets (I believe it was April 1986......id have to look it up)
    According to baseball-reference.com Gary Carter played a smattering of games at first base throughout his career. His career totals for a 19-year career (1974-1992) are 2056 games at Catcher, 137 games in the outfield (132 games as a leftfielder), and 76 games at first base, and 3 as a thirdbaseman. The most games he ever played in the outfield in a season was 92 in 1975 for Montreal. The most games he played at first base in a season were 25 games for Montreal in 1984, followed by 10 games for the Mets in 1988, 10 games for the Dodgers in 1991, and 9 games for the Mets in 1986.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    According to baseball-reference.com Gary Carter played a smattering of games at first base throughout his career. His career totals for a 19-year career (1974-1992) are 2056 games at Catcher, 137 games in the outfield (132 games as a leftfielder), and 76 games at first base, and 3 as a thirdbaseman. The most games he ever played in the outfield in a season was 92 in 1975 for Montreal. The most games he played at first base in a season were 25 games for Montreal in 1984, followed by 10 games for the Mets in 1988, 10 games for the Dodgers in 1991, and 9 games for the Mets in 1986.

    yea, there ya go. And I looked it up....the game I had in my mind was in April 1986...April 19 to be exact, Carter started in left field against the Phillies
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

    "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    I live in Quebec
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball fan in Milwaukee View Post
    Who is your all-time favorite Expos' player?
    Timothy Raines was my favorite Expos' player. It was always very exciting to watch him once he was on base. He was often able to turn a single into a single plus two stolen bases..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •