• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penncentralpete
    Abe Stark suits me fine
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I will have to take comfort that I can interpret the following as being seperate statements with seperate meanings:

the story makes Red Barber comes across like a pompous jerk.

as opposed to:

Red Barber was a pompous jerk.

I said the first, not the second.
    tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick......next: Andy Rooney.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

• penncentralpete
      Abe Stark suits me fine
      • Jan 2006

I will have to take comfort that I can interpret the following as being seperate statements with seperate meanings:

the story makes Red Barber comes across like a pompous jerk.

as opposed to:

Red Barber was a pompous jerk.

I said the first, not the second.
      This is exactly what you said: "I think the point of the story was to point out Barber's erudition, but to me the story made Barber out to be a pompous jerk."

Anyone (except you evidently) would interpret that statement one way. At the time of your post--you believed the story--you have since changed your tune on that fact, tardily stating you now take the story "with a grain of salt." You also said you wouldn't like to have dinner with Barber.

I believe that you believe Red Barber was one of the greatest baseball broadcasters of all-time, but alas, you got caught up in your own verbosity, and found it somewhat discomfiting to awkwardly retreat from your numerously edited posts.
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

• EdTarbusz
        091707 0657
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
        This is exactly what you said: "I think the point of the story was to point out Barber's erudition, but to me the story made Barber out to be a pompous jerk."

Anyone (except you evidently) would interpret that statement one way. At the time of your post--you believed the story--you have since changed your tune on that fact, tardily stating you now take the story "with a grain of salt." You also said you wouldn't like to have dinner with Barber.

I believe that you believe Red Barber was one of the greatest baseball broadcasters of all-time, but alas, you got caught up in your own verbosity, and found it somewhat discomfiting to awkwardly retreat from your numerously edited posts.
        I did not say that I thought Barber was a pompous jerk. I have no way of knowing because I never met him. I was talking about the story, not my personal opinion. If that is still unclear to you, then I don't know hpw to make it any more clear.

I
        Last edited by EdTarbusz; 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Trickyhop
          New Cheney
          • Jul 2008

I am incensed that the Dodgers moved out of Brooklyn because the stupid L.A. Dodgers beat my Oakland A's in the world series in 1988.

Comment

• penncentralpete
            Abe Stark suits me fine
            • Jan 2006

I did say that I thought Barber was a pompous jerk. I have no way of knowing because I never met him. I was talking about the story, not my personal opinion. If that is still unclear to you, then I don't know hpw to make it any more clear.

I
            Thanks Ed for clearing that up for all of us, finally admitting "I did say that I thought Barber was a pompous jerk."

The End.

Comment

• EdTarbusz
              091707 0657
              • Jul 2007

Thanks Ed for clearing that up for all of us, finally admitting "I did say that I thought Barber was a pompous jerk."

The End.
              That was a mis-type on my part. I did not say it.

I don't understand why this is bothering you so much.

Comment

• tonypug
                • Nov 2003

Hey guys, lets put an end to the public bickering. It does what we are trying to do here no good.
                Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• penncentralpete
                  Abe Stark suits me fine
                  • Jan 2006

That was a mis-type on my part. I did not say it.

I don't understand why this is bothering you so much.
                  Ed: If I received a dollar for each edit you've effected in the past 2 days re: Red Barber, I could afford to attend a Yankee game.

Comment

• penncentralpete
                    Abe Stark suits me fine
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
                    Hey guys, lets put an end to the public bickering. It does what we are trying to do here no good.
                    The name of this thread has the word "incensed" included. I am "incensed" that a veteren, heretofore, respected poster has waffled in his stated opinion(s) regarding Brooklyn Dodger history. I have not a problem with one's sentiment. State it. Stick to it. Fairly simple.

Comment

• EdTarbusz
                      091707 0657
                      • Jul 2007

Ed: If I received a dollar for each edit you've effected in the past 2 days re: Red Barber, I could afford to attend a Yankee game.
                      I apologize for typing with a squirming toddler sitting on my lap. How may many edits has it been? 2, 3?

Comment

• penncentralpete
                        Abe Stark suits me fine
                        • Jan 2006

I apologize for typing with a squirming toddler sitting on my lap. How may many edits has it been? 2, 3?
                        The only time the words "lasted edited by.." appear under a re-post, is if the poster leaves the site and then returns to change something. If you stay on this site and edit a post, nothing appears. I've seen many of your posts change time and time again without the italicized addendum.

Comment

• EdTarbusz
                          091707 0657
                          • Jul 2007

The only time the words "lasted edited by.." appear under a re-post, is if the poster leaves the site and then returns to change something. If you stay on this site and edit a post, nothing appears. I've seen many of your posts change time and time again without the italicized addendum.
                          So adding an additional thought is a bad thing? What about correcting a typo?
                          Maybe double checking something? Reorganizing my thoughts?

Perhaps the next time I write a paper, I should write it from start to finish without making any changes?

Also, the last edited by phrase doesn't only appear when you leave the site.

Comment

• penncentralpete
                            Abe Stark suits me fine
                            • Jan 2006

So adding an additional thought is a bad thing? What about correcting a typo?
                            Maybe double checking something? Reorganizing my thoughts?

Perhaps the next time I write a paper, I should write it from start to finish without making any changes?

Also, the last edited by phrase doesn't only appear when you leave the site.
                            More like reorganizing your position(s)/opinion(s). Let's drop this entire ugly mess. You are anything except STUPID. You are a bright, articulate guy. Deep down you understand exactly what I've meant in my posts. You waffled, backtracked, denied obvious statements, etc. I have moved forward. Forget it.

Comment

• penncentralpete
                              Abe Stark suits me fine
                              • Jan 2006

Some oldtime Brooklyn fans have hated (with a passion) the Dodgers since the fall of 1957 and winter/spring of 1958. Others continued to love their Dodgers even though they were now 3,000 miles away. With today's technology, I cannot wonder if more fans would have "followed" the team to the west coast if these things were available.. By this I mean with the internet and MLB.com (and a host of other new things available), the team would have been much easier to follow (games, scores, results, etc.). Any thoughts?

Comment

• EdTarbusz
                                091707 0657
                                • Jul 2007

More like reorganizing your position(s)/opinion(s). Let's drop this entire ugly mess. You are anything except STUPID. You are a bright, articulate guy. Deep down you understand exactly what I've meant in my posts. You waffled, backtracked, denied obvious statements, etc. I have moved forward. Forget it.
                                Deep down, I know gthat I haven't waffled or backtracked or denied any obvious statements.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X