Page 2034 of 2255 FirstFirst ... 1034153419341984202420322033203420352036204420842134 ... LastLast
Results 40,661 to 40,680 of 45081

Thread: Citi Field

Quote Originally Posted by richiek View Post
    Well, Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran are gone. Let's hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
    Well, as of Tuesday night, the Jose Reyes picture on the side of the ballpark, near the Left Field Gate, was still up...

(Photo taken November 5, 2011. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

...but I doubt it'll be there come Opening Day. It would be strange to see a banner showing a former Met who is currently playing for another team.

I suppose if he's in any of the murals inside the ballpark they'd have to make some changes there as well.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    Oh no, please let an originally awful bad idea just remain in the past and continue to rest in peace, LOL.. Those panels were always hideous..
    Blasphemy!! Nothing at Citi will ever touch those legendary panels.

Oh no, please let an originally awful bad idea just remain in the past and continue to rest in peace, LOL.. Those panels were always hideous..
    I don't know how to respond. I'm speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMissShea View Post
    I don't know how to respond. I'm speechless.

Sorry Fellas, its just an opinion.. I did like Shea for what its worth, but those metal cut squares and rectangles just cheapened the look of the place.. So tacky art deco , like a child came up with the idea, hahaha..Do u guys really want these panels anywheres near Citi or the multicolor seating as well?? it worked at Shea But thats about it... Oh Boy , i better watch my back now, LOL.

Festive, fun, colorful, at once innocent but futuristic, the Shea exterior was a perfect complement to the adjoining World's Fair, especially since orange and blue was incorporated into much of the marketing materials for the Fair (and even the fire engines!).

Perfect for its era. Not sure if the same can be said of Citi (although there are somewhat less colorful nearby influences).

Last edited by alpineinc; 02-10-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Festive, fun, colorful, at once innocent but futuristic, the Shea exterior was a perfect complement to the adjoining World's Fair, especially since orange and blue was incorporated into much of the marketing materials for the Fair (and even the fire engines!).
    I would say that orange and blue panels, not so large, and not so loud (in terms of color vibrancy), would be a nice addition to the 'office' side of the Shea Bridge. They could even be semi-transparent. I think they'd give a nice-enough nod to the past, without clashing with the existing surroundings.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

i'm for anything that honors the history and heritage of the New York Mets.
    Something that (sadly) ownership had to be chastised into doing after CF opened.
    Personally I'm very intrigued with the Shea panels being tastefully added to CF somewhere.
    Just don't bother if you're going to make the fans have to hunt to find them.

Heck, I'm still hoping that they'll finally add a proper large neon Mets logo somewhere within the seating bowl.
    It's ridiculous that the only one in the ballpark is over Shake Shack.
    That lame "Home of the Mets" under the massive Citi Field is just weak.

Don't get me wrong, I really like CF (although I hate the Promenade outer stairs),
    it just irks me that with such a clean slate to work with,
    so many things things were done so poorly.
    Chief among them was the proper heralding of the team that plays there and that the fans pay to see.

Sorry Fellas, its just an opinion.. I did like Shea for what its worth, but those metal cut squares and rectangles just cheapened the look of the place.. So tacky art deco
    Not Art Deco but Modernist, 1960s style.

I agree with you BTW, I don't care for the panels. It's probably a generational thing. They were gone by the time I was old enough to really notice them, but when I saw the scene in "The Wiz" where they ride a motorcycle around on the ramps of Shea Stadium I was really taken aback by how much I disliked the look of those panels floating in front of gray concrete. It's not so much the panels I disliked as the gray slab look the panels were meant to brighten up: gray concrete doesn't need sprinkles of colored panels, it needs not to exist on a monumental scale in the first place.

To me Shea Stadium is supposed to look completely blue, solid blue, electric Mets blue with neon line drawings of ballplayers!

Such neon line drawings don't fit in with the retro look of Citi Field's exterior, but it would be nice to have echoes of them in various places around the ballpark beyond the carpeting of the players' clubhouse.

Even something as simple as making this the carpeting of the main Clubhouse Shop off the Rotunda, or in the flooring in the Mets Hall of Fame, would be nice. And if they sold small replicas of them suitable for wall mounting, like those neon bar signs you can get for your basement, I bet they'd sell a lot of them.
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Well, as of Tuesday night, the Jose Reyes picture on the side of the ballpark, near the Left Field Gate, was still up...

(Photo taken November 5, 2011. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

...but I doubt it'll be there come Opening Day. It would be strange to see a banner showing a former Met who is currently playing for another team.

I suppose if he's in any of the murals inside the ballpark they'd have to make some changes there as well.
    Both Reyes and Beltran are among 2006 montage murals. I wonder what the statute is on stuff like this.

For example, in the concourses of Dodger Stadium, there are past Dodger greats on the posts, including Mike Piazza. I saw this in 2010, so maybe it went up once Mike retired from baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Both Reyes and Beltran are among 2006 montage murals. I wonder what the statute is on stuff like this.
    Well, even though i mentioned the murals inside, I was thinking more along the lines of the individual banners such as the ones surrounding the ballpark and the ones that appear on the lamp posts. Those honor the players as individuals as opposed to whatever contributions they may have made to a particular season.

Seeing Jose as part of a mural celebrating the 2006 team is one thing - seeing Jose on one of the banners outside the park, especially if you're going to see the Mets play Miami and you know he's going to be batting for the other team, is another. I would guess that unless he goes all Yadier Molina on us, some time after he retires from baseball the Mets might "honor" him with a banner again.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    Not Art Deco but Modernist, 1960s style.

I agree with you BTW, I don't care for the panels. It's probably a generational thing. They were gone by the time I was old enough to really notice them, but when I saw the scene in "The Wiz" where they ride a motorcycle around on the ramps of Shea Stadium I was really taken aback by how much I disliked the look of those panels floating in front of gray concrete. It's not so much the panels I disliked as the gray slab look the panels were meant to brighten up: gray concrete doesn't need sprinkles of colored panels, it needs not to exist on a monumental scale in the first place.

To me Shea Stadium is supposed to look completely blue, solid blue, electric Mets blue with neon line drawings of ballplayers!

Such neon line drawings don't fit in with the retro look of Citi Field's exterior, but it would be nice to have echoes of them in various places around the ballpark beyond the carpeting of the players' clubhouse.

Even something as simple as making this the carpeting of the main Clubhouse Shop off the Rotunda, or in the flooring in the Mets Hall of Fame, would be nice. And if they sold small replicas of them suitable for wall mounting, like those neon bar signs you can get for your basement, I bet they'd sell a lot of them.
    Nah, that's from the well-known "Tacky Shea" era. The classic blue and orange panels not that weird purple blue would really be great.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

They really should just leave this up till Jose's induction in the Mets Hall of Fame - or save it for then. Cool addition to Mets Museum - maybe an exhibit on greatest Mets shortstops.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Reyes and Beltran are part of Mets history. Reyes one of the most electrifying players the mets ever had and Beltran might be the greatest player to wear a Met uniform factoring in his defense. He will be remembered unfairly for looking at that helacious curve ball from a cy young winner. Their images should remain at CF not hidden like they never existed. The Mets chose not to re sign them. As for the tiles they should be on the bridge with the name in lights facing the field

Quote Originally Posted by AMAYSN 24 View Post
    Reyes and Beltran are part of Mets history. Reyes one of the most electrifying players the mets ever had and Beltran might be the greatest player to wear a Met uniform factoring in his defense. He will be remembered unfairly for looking at that helacious curve ball from a cy young winner. Their images should remain at CF not hidden like they never existed. The Mets chose not to re sign them. As for the tiles they should be on the bridge with the name in lights facing the field
    Well said sir! Well said indeed.

The name "Shea Bridge" appears slapped on to appease those who were questioning the lack of Mets history in CF. Looking at it, or walking over it brings no remembrance of the old place. It might work in Pittsburgh as "Three Rivers Bridge", especially since that is/was an industrial steel town, but Shea? Adding blue & orange panels to the left and right of the "Shea Bridge" lettering, as well as adding some blue paint on the inner beams would at least make the name a little more appropriate, without clashing too much with the rest of the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by AMAYSN 24 View Post

Hell no.

I liked the Shea tiles. Citi Field doesn't deserve them. What a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    The name "Shea Bridge" appears slapped on to appease those who were questioning the lack of Mets history in CF. Looking at it, or walking over it brings no remembrance of the old place. It might work in Pittsburgh as "Three Rivers Bridge", especially since that is/was an industrial steel town, but Shea? Adding blue & orange panels to the left and right of the "Shea Bridge" lettering, as well as adding some blue paint on the inner beams would at least make the name a little more appropriate, without clashing too much with the rest of the stadium.
    Call me crazy, but why not put a few of the neon ballplayers on the bridge facing the field? That'd be real cool, and if they painted the bridge blue it would really work to recall the old place.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    Call me crazy, but why not put a few of the neon ballplayers on the bridge facing the field? That'd be real cool, and if they painted the bridge blue it would really work to recall the old place.
    A tasteful combination of both the '60's-'70's tiles and latter day neon ballplayers would span it's entire history well, if done right.

A few pictures from Tuesday night... this is Citi Field, just the way you like it... in the dark, during the off-season...

My usual exterior view, directly behind home plate...

A look inside the rotunda...

For some reason or another, the team store was all lit up, but it wasn't open...

A real-life "night in the museum"... yes, the original Mr. Met head IS kinda creepy in the dark...

Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the mural in front of the ramps above the Left Field gate have been completely removed... I also said that I took some pictures, but you can't really see too much... well, here's one of them, you can judge for yourself...

Here's a link to the rest of my photos from Tuesday... there's only 15 of 'em...
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    That would look ridiculous. And "Shea Bridge" isn't named after the stadium, it's named after William Shea...just like Shea Stadium was.

Page 2034 of 2255 FirstFirst ... 1034153419341984202420322033203420352036204420842134 ... LastLast