Page 2038 of 2253 FirstFirst ... 1038153819381988202820362037203820392040204820882138 ... LastLast
Results 40,741 to 40,760 of 45056

Thread: Citi Field

  1. #40741
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rutherford, NJ
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    What else would you call it? It looks like scaffolding to me. Just sayin'.
    Ever see scaffolding cemented into the ground?

  2. #40742
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    1. Scaffold tubing is only 48mm in diameter.
    2. Scaffolding is a temporary structure.
    3. Scaffolding is used to support people and materials in the construction or repair of buildings.

    Neither of these 3 apply to what is being constructed. Those steel supports are 3 times thicker in diameter than scaffold tubing.

    Suppose the steel supports were square, instead of round, and painted black....what difference would it make? It's all going to be covered up anyway.
    I'm not trying to incite some argument here, but are you seriously getting your panties twisted because I said it was scaffolding? Such a small and frivolous thing to get so upset about. I was merely asking if they did it that way in case they needed to change it again in the future.

  3. #40743
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    Ever see scaffolding cemented into the ground?
    Those tubes in the pics above are not cemented INTO the ground either. There are separate cement blocks that are in the ground and then they attached the tubes onto them.

    But anyway it's not important I was merely asking a question but apparently the "scaffolding police" have been dearly upsetted by my calling it scaffolding. Sheesh.

  4. #40744
    Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    I'm not trying to incite some argument here, but are you seriously getting your panties twisted because I said it was scaffolding? Such a small and frivolous thing to get so upset about. I was merely asking if they did it that way in case they needed to change it again in the future.
    You're working under the false assumption that your post upset me--it didn't in the slightest--it was a good question. I was just answering your query, "It looks like scaffolding to me....What else would you call it?"

    Scaffolding is a specific thing and you seemed confused. I like helping people understand. No need to thank me.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  5. #40745
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,782
    To these layman's eyes, if those are the supports for the new left field area, it doesn't look that secure to me. But I suppose looks can be deceiving - the bleachers at Shea Stadium were similarly constructed...


    (Photo taken September 24, 2007. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)


    (Photo taken August 8, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

  6. #40746
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    To these layman's eyes, if those are the supports for the new left field area, it doesn't look that secure to me.
    Those new tubular steel supports are probably rated to hold more than 50,000 lbs....apiece. That new structure will be able to hold thousands of times the amount of weight it will be asked to. If anything, the Mets are over-engineering that new structure. A vertical hollow tube can hold an ungodly amount of weight.

    In layman's terms....it's really really really sturdy.

    Looks can be deceiving. After all, does an egg "look" like it can withstand being squeezed hard in your hand without breaking?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  7. #40747
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Smithtown, NY
    Posts
    427
    I don't give a fig about how it's constructed. What I'd like to see is some enterprising Mets fan bring a sign to the park that keeps count of all the Mets home runs that land in those seats this year.
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

  8. #40748
    Just sayin...

    bandaid.jpg

  9. #40749
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiller View Post
    I don't give a fig about how it's constructed. What I'd like to see is some enterprising Mets fan bring a sign to the park that keeps count of all the Mets home runs that land in those seats this year.
    In honor of the greatest sign man ever, Karl Ehrhardt:

    MO' ZONE.jpg

  10. #40750
    Not only is it scaffolding, it's rickety scaffolding besides. What an embarrassment. What a joke. All for a handful of new "homeruns." Blech.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  11. #40751
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Smithtown, NY
    Posts
    427
    When the padded wall is put up in front of it, and the seats are installed with the railing in front of them, you'll not be able to see the structure beneath. Those are going to be some of the hottest tickets at Citi this year.
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

  12. #40752
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR via Brooklyn
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Not only is it scaffolding, it's rickety scaffolding besides. What an embarrassment. What a joke. All for a handful of new "homeruns." Blech.

    Please provide proof of this being scaffolding and it being rickety. I assume you work in construction or architecture?

  13. #40753
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    You're working under the false assumption that your post upset me--it didn't in the slightest...
    Okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura
    Scaffolding is a specific thing and you seemed confused. I like helping people understand. No need to thank me.
    Okay.

  14. #40754
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    Okay.



    Okay.

    Yes dear...
    Yes dear...
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  15. #40755
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Citi Field Sec 15/11, 326/2
    Posts
    2,616
    I suppose it'd be par for the course to find out a few months into the season that one of the construction workers on the job is a Marlins fan (or just a Mets hater) who secretly buried a Marlins #7 Reyes jersey in the edifice. And unlike the Yankees, they'll just shrug and leave it in.

    'Cause we all know that jinxy stuff like this is ridiculous and has no bearing on the real world, right?
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

  16. #40756
    Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    I suppose it'd be par for the course to find out a few months into the season that one of the construction workers on the job is a Marlins fan (or just a Mets hater) who secretly buried a Marlins #7 Reyes jersey in the edifice. And unlike the Yankees, they'll just shrug and leave it in.

    'Cause we all know that jinxy stuff like this is ridiculous and has no bearing on the real world, right?
    I thought they jack hammered that jersey out of there?

  17. #40757
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiller View Post
    ...the hottest tickets at Citi this year.
    "hot" tix for a 80 win team?
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  18. #40758
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiller View Post
    I don't give a fig about how it's constructed. What I'd like to see is some enterprising Mets fan bring a sign to the park that keeps count of all the Mets home runs that land in those seats this year.
    ...with the sign - "they moved the fences in because the owners/designers couldn't figure out how to execute the layout of an mlb outfield and it got inside their players heads".
    seperate #'s should be displayed for mets vs. everybody else's homers, single digits vs. double digits.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  19. #40759
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Citi Field Sec 15/11, 326/2
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by myeah View Post
    I thought they jack hammered that jersey out of there?
    The Yankees did (see my linked article); I don't remember ever reading that the Mets did. In both cases it was "rumored" that it happened, but the Steinbrenners blew up over the idea while the Wilpons laughed it off as unfounded and meaningless even if true.
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

  20. #40760
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Smithtown, NY
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    "hot" tix for a 80 win team?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    ...with the sign - "they moved the fences in because the owners/designers couldn't figure out how to execute the layout of an mlb outfield and it got inside their players heads".
    seperate #'s should be displayed for mets vs. everybody else's homers, single digits vs. double digits.
    1) If you'd have read my words carefully, I wrote "hottest", not hot. There's a difference. Luke warm is hottest in a cold environment.

    2) I don't fault the Mets for originally designing a major league sized ballfield that supported their pitching staff and baseline speed, it turns out to the detriment of their hitters. Now, we're going to have a band box, like the Yanks, Cincy and Philly, that strokes the egos of the hitters to the detriment of the pitching staff, but gives the fans what they want- the opportunity for the home run. And you have a point- the fences are in for the opposition too, and instead of loosing games 3 to 2, we may be loosing them 8 to 6 this year!
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Page 2038 of 2253 FirstFirst ... 1038153819381988202820362037203820392040204820882138 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •