Page 1664 of 1748 FirstFirst ... 66411641564161416541662166316641665166616741714 ... LastLast
Results 41,576 to 41,600 of 43694

Thread: Citi Field

MLB talks more about the Dodgers and Jackie Robinson than the Dodgers
    That awkward moment when you are off 1 dollar buying something

I was kidding before, by the way. MLB can't honor can't honor Jackie Robinson enough, in my book - so great was the man. I'm a fan of the Rotunda.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by nycthebest14345 View Post
    MLB talks more about the Dodgers and Jackie Robinson than the Dodgers
    sad but true 9-1 start, kemp beasting and still no love
    It's Time For Dodger's Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by THINK BLUE View Post
    sad but true 9-1 start, kemp beasting and still no love
    Already have my box seats for Sandy Koufax bobble head night in August !!!

Anyone think Wilpon would trade me a Seaver bobble head for a Koufax?

Maybe they have one at Citi Field too????

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    The obsession that every single MLB owner has with the Dodgers is ridiculous! Enough with these Dodger tributes!
    it's not a "dodgers tribute", the players aren't all wearing dodgers uni's - just the #.
    it has to do with national politics and trying (without much success) to attract more of the african american demographic to spend on mlb.
    Last edited by Paul W; 04-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

I was kidding before, by the way. MLB can't honor can't honor Jackie Robinson enough, in my book - so great was the man. I'm a fan of the Rotunda.
    it's a shame that branch rickey isn't remembered also...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    it's a shame that branch rickey isn't remembered also...
    That I'll agree with - Rickey was quite a guy. I read a recent biography and he really did have to buck some major social pressure to break the color line - which he'd wanted to do for 20 years.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullydew View Post
    Citi Field has become one of the ugliest ballparks in MLB. What a shame.
    I beg to differ. Citi Field is not one of the ugliest, but THE ugliest ballpark in MLB. The exterior is an embarrassment
    and the dizzying interior isn't much better.

Feast your eyes (warning: it isn't pretty);

(photos courtesy of member Gary)

Last edited by 7instretch; 04-19-2012 at 04:07 PM.

I love these pics! CF looks like a phoenix rising out if the Valley of Ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by 7instretch View Post
    I beg to differ. Citi Field is not one of the ugliest, but THE ugliest ballpark in MLB. The exterior is an embarrassment
    and the dizzying interior isn't much better.

Feast your eyes (warning: it isn't pretty);

Whats the story with this area in the foreground of the bottom pic? Was something there or is something going to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
    Whats the story with this area in the foreground of the bottom pic? Was something there or is something going to be there?
    I think we should ask Gary - whose pictures I believe were borrowed here without attribution by a poster who doesn't appreciate CF's inherent beauty.

I have always thought it was a really nice looking park. Awful lot of ads, but otherwise a pretty park inside and out.

I'm not quite sure but the area around Citi Field is literally a dump. That barren area is actually nice compared to the run down chop shops and broken streets surrounding the area. It actually looks like a war-torn, dirty neighborhood. Needless to say, the whole Citi Field experience is very unpleasing to the senses.

Then you have that mess within the exterior of Citi Field, which blends right in with the unsightly neighborhood. It doesn't end there as you enter the bowl and yet another set of unpleasing, mis-matched shapes and sizes greats your eyes, including yet another tacky mess beyond the outfield and scoreboard.

It most certainly is the ugliest ballpark in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by 7instretch View Post
    I'm not quite sure but the area around Citi Field is literally a dump. That barren area is actually nice compared to the run down chop shops and broken streets surrounding the area. It actually looks like a war-torn, dirty neighborhood. Needless to say, the whole Citi Field experience is very unpleasing to the senses.
    So was that the only piece of land the Mets could find to build the new park on, or did they just not care?

Quote Originally Posted by Afikoman View Post
    I love these pics! CF looks like a phoenix rising out if the Valley of Ashes.
    More like the Yellow Pages rising out of the Valley of Ashes.

This debate has gone on so long that, as Mets fans, I think we have no choice but to give in and just accept that this is how Citi Field looks. And accept it as our own unique identity amongst all the other ballparks. It's futile to resist. We can even try to convince ourselves, reluctantly, that this is the charm of Citi Field. We really have no choice do we? Those ads aren't going anywhere.
    Yay Citi Field.

I think we should ask Gary - whose pictures I believe were borrowed here without attribution by a poster who doesn't appreciate CF's inherent beauty.
    Acknowledgment done. I wasn't aware that we had to attribute photos that were in the same thread and used for comment.

Chop shops you say? I'll have to take in a game some day and see for myself.

Actually, with over 64,000 posts between this and the Citi Field Construction thread, I'd say most folks with even a passing interest in the Mets are pretty much aware of the area surrounding the ballpark, not to mention the proliferation of advertising space (not uncommon these days), which have both been discussed and analyzed here to near death for 5 years. Check it out, interesting and informative reading. And of course the Mets built Citi Field in Shea Stadium's shadow, not through careful selection of an industrial area for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Chop shops you say? I'll have to take in a game some day and see for myself.

Actually, with over 64,000 posts between this and the Citi Field Construction thread, I'd say most folks with even a passing interest in the Mets are pretty much aware of the area surrounding the ballpark, not to mention the proliferation of advertising space (not uncommon these days), which have both been discussed and analyzed here to near death for 5 years. Check it out, interesting and informative reading. And of course the Mets built Citi Field in Shea Stadium's shadow, not through careful selection of an industrial area for the fun of it.

Does the area have parking? yes
    Does the area have a subway line? yes
    Does the area have a railroad line? yes
    Buses? yes
    Is it near anything else? Yes, the US Open Tennis Center and Flushing Meadows park
    Near highways? yes
    Sounds like a good place to build a ballpark. The neighborhood can alway improve, but the infrastructure is already in place. I've heard its even near an airport!

So was that the only piece of land the Mets could find to build the new park on, or did they just not care?
    Fred Wilpon and NYC are trying to redevelop the area next to Citi Field (called Willets Point).

http://www.nycedc.com/project/willet...-redevelopment

There is controversy since the city is using eminent domain to kick the chop shop owners off the land. Not to mention the cleaning of the toxic chemicals in the land could take years.

I will go to a game at the Citi's Field stadium this year.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

"I've heard its even near an airport! "

Quote Originally Posted by WillMissShea View Post
    "I've heard its even near an airport! "
    Fake Glenn H. Curtiss Airport fail!

"The airport was originally named Glenn H. Curtiss Airport after aviation pioneer Glenn Hammond Curtiss then renamed North Beach Airport. The official name after New York City's takeover and reconstruction was New York Municipal Airport-LaGuardia Field then in 1953 named solely "LaGuardia Airport" for Fiorello La Guardia, the mayor of New York when the airport was built." - Wikipedia

X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

mets have a fill-in field reporter for K.B. at citi-field for the next 3 games
    and she is HOT

her name is Tiffany Simmons

she was the host for mets weekly last year 2011

she needs more seasoning
    I think she is the one that keeps referring to manager Terry Collins as COACH

kevin is doing more and more in-game broadcastering
    he is covering the Uconn spring football for SNY
    http://twitter.com/#!/kburkhardtsny

On Saturday, I was at Citi Field for the first time this year.
    Have to admit, that I do love the way the outfield blue wall looks.
    One of those "needs to be seen in person" visuals that no tv image or photo can do justice to.
    Very cool indeed.

Besides my wish that they'll one day dump that sad as heck "Let's Go Mets" under the enormous CITI FIELD
    for a proper sized 3D neon lit Mets logo, I really hope they move those retired numbers.
    Their position among the Party City revelers is totally inappropriate and demeaning.
    I've already said my peace on this thread about why I feel that's the case but as I looked around the ballpark for a more fitting location, an idea hit me.
    Using this image I took from my seat to make the point, I'd like to know what others here think:

CF 2012 outfield suggestion.jpg

That's way too high and also seems isolated from the rest of the ballpark.

I think the retired numbers should switch places with the big GEICO sign on the Acela Restaurant balcony.

Page 1664 of 1748 FirstFirst ... 66411641564161416541662166316641665166616741714 ... LastLast