Page 1706 of 1736 FirstFirst ... 7061206160616561696170417051706170717081716 ... LastLast
Results 42,626 to 42,650 of 43391

Thread: Citi Field

If there is any poetic justice hurricane "Sandy" will knockdown some of those home-field-advantage-killing fences promoted by its namesake General Manager. Especially the ones in right field, where according to tally opponents have dumped significantly more homers into.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Lol Sandy is a Cat 1, it might look like someone emptied there trash in the grass at best.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Mongoose and Web will be happy, Citi Field may be under water by this time tomorrow. BIG water coming down long island sound very soon

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Mongoose and Web will be happy, Citi Field may be under water by this time tomorrow. BIG water coming down long island sound very soon
    Whoever's there will be sloshing around in toxins. Can you imagine if they'd already built the phony neighborhood? Going forward, one event like this would render the planned underground cap over the pollution useless. Further proof it's a mistake to build housing on poison swampland.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Citi Field has some flood gates to enclose the stadium in case of flooding. They were first seen when Hurricane Irene came last year.

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

Stengl (sic) Buses At CITIFIELD - HURRICANE SANDY 6 2012-10-29

As Hurricane Sandy approached, MTA New York City Transit employees moved buses out of the Casey Stengel Depot in Willets Point up to higher ground at Citi Field.

Photo: MTA New York City Transit / Michael Broe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/8136643145/

And they thought the crowds THIS season were sparse. What's it going to be like next year if fans can't even reach the ballpark?
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

I will go to Citi Field stadium in 2013 to look at young physically fit athletic men in wet uniforms play the water sport games with each other.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Lol Sandy is a Cat 1, it might look like someone emptied there trash in the grass at best.
    In hindsight, it's statements and attitudes like this that helped lead to the number of casualties in the area. Hope everyone pulled through ok, and that CitiField didn't sustain any major water damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SI Metman View Post
    In hindsight, it's statements and attitudes like this that helped lead to the number of casualties in the area. Hope everyone pulled through ok, and that CitiField didn't sustain any major water damage.
    I want to appologize for that, I forget that everyone in Florida has high hurricane standards and codes that places up north do not have. I hope that everyone is ok and this never happens again.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Citi Field helps out in hurricane recovery efforts:

New York Mets donate to the Daily News' disaster relief fun to help victims of Hurricane Sandy
    Joins Modell's, Applebee's and City Harvest in effort to ease New York City's great pain after devastating storm

The New York Mets have joined several companies, including Modell’s Sporting Goods and Applebee’s Restaurants, which have donated to the Daily News' victims relief fund.
    The New York Mets have joined the Daily News' disaster relief fund, lending major league support to assist the countless New Yorkers whose lives were devastated by Hurricane Sandy.

Mets Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon told The News Sunday that the team is thrilled to join the fund, kicked off by the paper's $100,000 contribution Saturday.

"We're happy to help in any way we can," Wilpon said.

The Mets organization is already pitching in on the recovery effort by providing staging areas and base camps at Citi Field and the old Shea Stadium parking lots for Con Ed, FEMA, the New York National Guard, the city Office of Emergency Management, the Federal Incident Management Teams and mutual assistance electrical teams, as officials work to restore electricity, remove debris and provide emergency services to New Yorkers.

Cots are set up in the team's locker room and press box area and workers are being provided food by the team and its concession partner, ARAMARK.

The Citi Field area is not a distribution center but the Mets have also made the facilities at their minor league complex on Coney Island - MCU Park - available and FEMA has set up a distribution center for food, water and other supplies there.

According to Chris Miller, spokesman for the city Office of Emergency Management, the Mets immediately offered help for the recovery effort.

"They've been very good partners and continue to be good to the city in our recovery efforts," said Miller.

Other sponsors of the Daily News Hurricane Sandy Fund include Modell’s Sporting Goods, Applebee’s Restaurants and City Havest.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1196467

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Citi Field helps out in hurricane recovery efforts:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1196467

Unsurprisingly the Wilpons come up small:

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...000_to_hu.html

In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the Yankees will donate $500,000 to the American Red Cross to help support relief efforts in the Tri-State area.

And the Wilpons?

How nice of them to "provide" staging areas on property New York City owns. The best part is they apparently didn't donate any money at all. You can bet if they did it'd be mentioned. They held a big press conference to announce they joined a collective effort in which there's no mention of how much cash they actually donated, or anything besides letting government agencies use government owned land.

Maybe Jeff will donate some spare Underdog T-shirts to the clothing drive.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I have to agree with you Mongoose, I'm gonna put the over/under on the donation at $60.

It does give me a little hope and pride that the Mets are providing a service to the city, since that's how it should be. It's a bit shameful if the same isn't happening at MetLife Stadium. Hope everyone at BBF is doing okay; I'm very thankful to have power back, and I'm ready to keep the relief effort at the shore going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Whoever's there will be sloshing around in toxins. Can you imagine if they'd already built the phony neighborhood? Going forward, one event like this would render the planned underground cap over the pollution useless. Further proof it's a mistake to build housing on poison swampland.
    Not only there, but I am certain that toxic mud is the reason why the Crosstown IND isn't up and running. I read somewhere that the water / mud that washed up from Newton Creek into the tunnels used by the G train is thicker and more *problematic* than the stuff that washed up into the other tunnels... It's probably not a good to touch anything down there for a while....

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game "A" Plan, Prom Box 423.

Citi Field hosting canned food drive:

The Mets announced they will hold a Food Drive Wednesday, November 14 from 9:00 am Ė 5:00 pm at Citi Field to benefit New Yorkers in need.

Fans can drop off their food donation inside the Hodges VIP entrance next to the Mets Team Store.

Fans donating 10 items or more of nonperishable nutritious food will receive a voucher redeemable for one pair of tickets to a select Mets game in April, 2013. Donors will also receive 15 percent off select merchandise at the Mets Team Store at Citi Field. Season Ticket Holders who donate food can show their ID card to get 20 percent off select items.

The discount will only be honored Wednesday, November 14.

Among the items most needed are: canned fruit and vegetables, plastic jars of peanut butter, packages of hot or cold cereal, and packages of macaroni and cheese. Items that will not be accepted are: unlabeled, expired, or dented cans; any open packaging; products that need to be refrigerated; or homemade products.
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-to...n-november-14/

The Mets made a donation to the Human Fund...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman 26 View Post
    The Mets made a donation to the Human Fund...
    Fred Wilpon does remind me of Mr. Kruger:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Citi Field hosting canned food drive
    "Can, ha-ha" - Chef Of The Future

X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Michigan Lacrosse team to Play Colgate at Citi field in 2013

http://laxmagazine.com/blogs/author/...rey_McLaughlin

The Michigan athletic department prides itself on being the "leaders and best." Well, the Wolverines 2013 men's lacrosse schedule certainly underscores that fact, with some outside the box thinking.

Listed on Michigan's schedule are a pair of neutral-site stadium games in new areas (and arenas): March 17 versus Colgate at Citi Field in Flushing, Queens, home of the New York Mets, and March 2 versus Army at Sun Life Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins.

That's right, lacrosse in Queens.

Since it opened in 2009, Citi Field has, aside from Mets games, hosted Paul McCartney and Dave Matthews Band concerts (one of which I attended) and an Ecuador vs. Greece soccer match that drew nearly 40,000 people. But never lacrosse. Might it be sacrilegious mixing the two springtime sports, lacrosse and baseball? Evidently not.

A Michigan spokesperson said the university has a very close relationship with the Wilpon family, which owns the Mets. Fred Wilpon, the Mets' majority owner, is a 1958 Michigan graduate and the Wolverines' baseball complex in Ann Arbor dons the Wilpon name.

Quote Originally Posted by peterrod16 View Post
    Michigan Lacrosse team to Play Colgate at Citi field in 2013

http://laxmagazine.com/blogs/author/...rey_McLaughlin

The Michigan athletic department prides itself on being the "leaders and best." Well, the Wolverines 2013 men's lacrosse schedule certainly underscores that fact, with some outside the box thinking.

Listed on Michigan's schedule are a pair of neutral-site stadium games in new areas (and arenas): March 17 versus Colgate at Citi Field in Flushing, Queens, home of the New York Mets, and March 2 versus Army at Sun Life Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins.

That's right, lacrosse in Queens.

Since it opened in 2009, Citi Field has, aside from Mets games, hosted Paul McCartney and Dave Matthews Band concerts (one of which I attended) and an Ecuador vs. Greece soccer match that drew nearly 40,000 people. But never lacrosse. Might it be sacrilegious mixing the two springtime sports, lacrosse and baseball? Evidently not.

A Michigan spokesperson said the university has a very close relationship with the Wilpon family, which owns the Mets. Fred Wilpon, the Mets' majority owner, is a 1958 Michigan graduate and the Wolverines' baseball complex in Ann Arbor dons the Wilpon name.
    that's good
    but I can't wait for that first American football game
    high school, college or NFL to be play at the city field

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    that's good
    but I can't wait for that first American football game
    high school, college or NFL to be play at the city field
    No, they shouldn't do that. Football is for football stadiums.

If they want to play football anywhere in this area, they should use MetLife Stadium. It was BUILT for football!

There's no logical reason to play football at Citi Field, because it wasn't built for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    No, they shouldn't do that. Football is for football stadiums.

If they want to play football anywhere in this area, they should use MetLife Stadium. It was BUILT for football!

There's no logical reason to play football at Citi Field, because it wasn't built for it.
    true
    but I would love to see at least ONE football game
    just like in YS

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    true
    but I would love to see at least ONE football game
    just like in YS
    So would i...
    Fan of The NY Mets!

^ I wouldn't. It ruins the purity of building baseball-only parks. Even if it's only for one game. And it also runs the risk of damaging the field. (There've been several times I've been to Citi after they had those soccer games, and you can still see the outline of the soccer pitch on the baseball diamond.)

And in the end, there's simply no *reason* to do it. It would be just a gimmick - a joke. Why risk damaging the stadium just for a one-off lark?

Page 1706 of 1736 FirstFirst ... 7061206160616561696170417051706170717081716 ... LastLast