X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DN4L
    27, and nobody has more..
    • Dec 2009

Great shots, alpineinc...:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::a pplaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product in April..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• jnakamura
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by RayNY View Post
      Also I wonder why they used scaffolding to hold up the new section, rather than steel beams and a concrete wall. I wonder if it's because they're not sure if the new dimension will be permanent depending on how things play out in the future? But if it is going to stay like that, it will be held up by scaffolding for the rest of the stadium's life?
      That "scaffolding", if you want to call it that is just fine. It's thick, tubular galvanized steel bolted to a solid concrete foundation. It's a perfect choice: Strong enough to last 100+ years, yet relatively easy to unhook and move or remove if need be.
      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
      - Walt Whitman

Comment

• RayNY
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
        That "scaffolding", if you want to call it that is just fine...
        What else would you call it? It looks like scaffolding to me. Just sayin'.
        STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

• jnakamura
          • Oct 2008

1. Scaffold tubing is only 48mm in diameter.
          2. Scaffolding is a temporary structure.
          3. Scaffolding is used to support people and materials in the construction or repair of buildings.

Neither of these 3 apply to what is being constructed. Those steel supports are 3 times thicker in diameter than scaffold tubing.

Suppose the steel supports were square, instead of round, and painted black....what difference would it make? It's all going to be covered up anyway.
          - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Coach Bombay
            • Jul 2008

Ever see scaffolding cemented into the ground?

Comment

• RayNY
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
              1. Scaffold tubing is only 48mm in diameter.
              2. Scaffolding is a temporary structure.
              3. Scaffolding is used to support people and materials in the construction or repair of buildings.

Neither of these 3 apply to what is being constructed. Those steel supports are 3 times thicker in diameter than scaffold tubing.

Suppose the steel supports were square, instead of round, and painted black....what difference would it make? It's all going to be covered up anyway.
              I'm not trying to incite some argument here, but are you seriously getting your panties twisted because I said it was scaffolding? Such a small and frivolous thing to get so upset about. I was merely asking if they did it that way in case they needed to change it again in the future.
              STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

• RayNY
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
                Ever see scaffolding cemented into the ground?
                Those tubes in the pics above are not cemented INTO the ground either. There are separate cement blocks that are in the ground and then they attached the tubes onto them.

But anyway it's not important I was merely asking a question but apparently the "scaffolding police" have been dearly upsetted by my calling it scaffolding. Sheesh.
                STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

• jnakamura
                  • Oct 2008

I'm not trying to incite some argument here, but are you seriously getting your panties twisted because I said it was scaffolding? Such a small and frivolous thing to get so upset about. I was merely asking if they did it that way in case they needed to change it again in the future.
                  You're working under the false assumption that your post upset me--it didn't in the slightest--it was a good question. I was just answering your query, "It looks like scaffolding to me....What else would you call it?"

Scaffolding is a specific thing and you seemed confused. I like helping people understand. No need to thank me.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
                    Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
                    • Sep 2007

To these layman's eyes, if those are the supports for the new left field area, it doesn't look that secure to me. But I suppose looks can be deceiving - the bleachers at Shea Stadium were similarly constructed...

(Photo taken September 24, 2007. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

(Photo taken August 8, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                    My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
                    https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• jnakamura
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      To these layman's eyes, if those are the supports for the new left field area, it doesn't look that secure to me.
                      Those new tubular steel supports are probably rated to hold more than 50,000 lbs....apiece. That new structure will be able to hold thousands of times the amount of weight it will be asked to. If anything, the Mets are over-engineering that new structure. A vertical hollow tube can hold an ungodly amount of weight.

In layman's terms....it's really really really sturdy.

Looks can be deceiving. After all, does an egg "look" like it can withstand being squeezed hard in your hand without breaking?
                      - Walt Whitman

Comment

• CHiller
                        Iron Hands
                        • Jul 2008

I don't give a fig about how it's constructed. What I'd like to see is some enterprising Mets fan bring a sign to the park that keeps count of all the Mets home runs that land in those seats this year.
                        First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• metfan61
                          • Mar 2009

Just sayin...

bandaid.jpg

Comment

• KoosFan
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CHiller View Post
                            I don't give a fig about how it's constructed. What I'd like to see is some enterprising Mets fan bring a sign to the park that keeps count of all the Mets home runs that land in those seats this year.
                            In honor of the greatest sign man ever, Karl Ehrhardt:

MO' ZONE.jpg

Comment

• Strawman
                              • Mar 2009

Not only is it scaffolding, it's rickety scaffolding besides. What an embarrassment. What a joke. All for a handful of new "homeruns." Blech.
                              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• CHiller
                                Iron Hands
                                • Jul 2008

When the padded wall is put up in front of it, and the seats are installed with the railing in front of them, you'll not be able to see the structure beneath. Those are going to be some of the hottest tickets at Citi this year.
                                First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X