Page 1628 of 1736 FirstFirst ... 628112815281578161816261627162816291630163816781728 ... LastLast
Results 40,676 to 40,700 of 43389

Thread: Citi Field

Quote Originally Posted by AMAYSN 24 View Post
    Reyes and Beltran are part of Mets history. Reyes one of the most electrifying players the mets ever had and Beltran might be the greatest player to wear a Met uniform factoring in his defense. He will be remembered unfairly for looking at that helacious curve ball from a cy young winner. Their images should remain at CF not hidden like they never existed. The Mets chose not to re sign them. As for the tiles they should be on the bridge with the name in lights facing the field

Hell no.

I liked the Shea tiles. Citi Field doesn't deserve them. What a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    The name "Shea Bridge" appears slapped on to appease those who were questioning the lack of Mets history in CF. Looking at it, or walking over it brings no remembrance of the old place. It might work in Pittsburgh as "Three Rivers Bridge", especially since that is/was an industrial steel town, but Shea? Adding blue & orange panels to the left and right of the "Shea Bridge" lettering, as well as adding some blue paint on the inner beams would at least make the name a little more appropriate, without clashing too much with the rest of the stadium.
    Call me crazy, but why not put a few of the neon ballplayers on the bridge facing the field? That'd be real cool, and if they painted the bridge blue it would really work to recall the old place.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    Call me crazy, but why not put a few of the neon ballplayers on the bridge facing the field? That'd be real cool, and if they painted the bridge blue it would really work to recall the old place.
    A tasteful combination of both the '60's-'70's tiles and latter day neon ballplayers would span it's entire history well, if done right.

A few pictures from Tuesday night... this is Citi Field, just the way you like it... in the dark, during the off-season...

My usual exterior view, directly behind home plate...

A look inside the rotunda...

For some reason or another, the team store was all lit up, but it wasn't open...

A real-life "night in the museum"... yes, the original Mr. Met head IS kinda creepy in the dark...

Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the mural in front of the ramps above the Left Field gate have been completely removed... I also said that I took some pictures, but you can't really see too much... well, here's one of them, you can judge for yourself...

Here's a link to the rest of my photos from Tuesday... there's only 15 of 'em...
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    The name "Shea Bridge" appears slapped on to appease those who were questioning the lack of Mets history in CF. Looking at it, or walking over it brings no remembrance of the old place. It might work in Pittsburgh as "Three Rivers Bridge", especially since that is/was an industrial steel town, but Shea? Adding blue & orange panels to the left and right of the "Shea Bridge" lettering, as well as adding some blue paint on the inner beams would at least make the name a little more appropriate, without clashing too much with the rest of the stadium.
    That would look ridiculous. And "Shea Bridge" isn't named after the stadium, it's named after William Shea...just like Shea Stadium was.

That horrendous late 80s neon - emblematic of the era when the Wilpons took over - along with that strange purple shade of "blue" should never return to a Mets facility. Blech!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Here's the Shea Bridge area with a little more "Shea" to it.
    And should that get a collective thumbs down,
    at least seriously consider a large backlit Mets logo in that area.

Shea Bridge 1a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KoosFan View Post

Shea Bridge 1a.jpg
    I like it!
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    I like it!
    I second that.
    Put it in the books.

Shea Bridge 1a.jpg
    logo not bad, tiles i hate

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Y View Post
    That would look ridiculous. And "Shea Bridge" isn't named after the stadium, it's named after William Shea...just like Shea Stadium was.
    Thanks for the history lesson.

with the ways that fred-o & co. put shea in their rear view mirror, doubt that they'll spend scarce $$$'s on something that doesn't effect the team performance.
    fans may pine for shea but the guys writing the checks don't seem to be.
    they'd probably take donations though...
    Last edited by Paul W; 02-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    with the ways that fred-o & co. put shea in their rear view mirror, doubt that they'll spend scarce $$$'s on something that doesn't effect the team performance.
    fans may pine for shea but the guys writing the checks don't seem to be.
    they'd probably take donations though...
    UGH!! Funny thing is If Shea was built today, everyone would hate it. I grew up at Shea but cant understand the infatuation with the place.. It was a concrete bowl, with some awful coloring thruout the place, and cheap panels on the outside ... Id hate to see ur guys home decor, LOL..

And they can sell the Dunkin Donuts and Wise ad space to an advertiser who can evoke the spirit of Abe Stark ("Hit Sign Win Suit") with a "Hit Logo Win _____" promotion.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

The area around the Shea Bridge is currently blank and more than any tiles (or neon baseball figures, etc.),
    I'd like to see a large backlit Mets logo become a reality.
    Something that boldly says "Home of the Mets " without having to literally spell it out.

That said, team economics being what they are these days, the sad truth is that were a sponsor
    of a notion to buy that space to install yet another ugly ad, it'd be there in a heartbeat.

Yes, it's a business, but every business knows about brand integrity.
    Check that — every well run business.
    Last edited by KoosFan; 02-12-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    UGH!! Funny thing is If Shea was built today, everyone would hate it.
    The 35,000 extra people staying home (soon to be more) sure do miss it.

Seems the Mets left New York forever the day they left Shea.

17. Question for the group - my wife bought me this jacket for my birthday, I really love the "cool base" jackets, they're great for spring/fall....she got it from mets.com (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.js...452832.1665574). I'm inclined to think that there is/will be a 2012 version without black, but can't seem to find any supporting evidence. Anyone maybe see a "new" version at the CF team store? Thanks in advance

Shea Bridge 1a.jpg
    That looks great!

Not sure if anybody mentioned it, but they took down that black tarp behind the "Citi Field" lettering above the scoreboard.

For about a month before that, it looked it was ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    And they can sell the Dunkin Donuts and Wise ad space to an advertiser who can evoke the spirit of Abe Stark ("Hit Sign Win Suit") with a "Hit Logo Win _____" promotion.
    when stark payed for that sign, if a player won a free suit it made a difference to him because they didn't make that much more than the average customer. now, with the minimum approaching $500k it doesn't, 'cuz they make so much more.
    maybe that "spirit" still lingers in the minors.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Shea Bridge 1a.jpg
    I like it and in fact I would add more tiles, but I'm not a mets fans so I don't know if that matters.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

^Set against the black, I like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Not sure if anybody mentioned it, but they took down that black tarp behind the "Citi Field" lettering above the scoreboard.

For about a month before that, it looked it was ripped.
    Funny, but I happened to drive by today, noticed this and was thinking of posting it. If memory serves, in 2009 they quickly discovered that the white part of the lettering blended into the daylight and lost most of its visibility, so they inserted an opaque background behind the lettering, now gone.

Guess that's the least of their problems these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B. View Post
    If memory serves, in 2009 they quickly discovered that the white part of the lettering blended into the daylight and lost most of its visibility, so they inserted an opaque background behind the lettering, now gone.
    Widescreen view of the Citi Vision scoreboard and the skies above after the very first regular season DAY game ever to be played at Citi Field...

(Photo taken April 18, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X

Maybe they'll finally put a real background behind the letters this time, rather than the makeshift tarp they had there (that apparently ripped!). And something needs to be there - can barely see the letters otherwise by day.

One of the biggest early faux pas of Citi, I think. Even with the dark supports, could've been done better, like Comerica or even Progressive. Big "Mets" on top over the open metalwork and maybe the CITI FIELD in the solid area would've been better ->

Page 1628 of 1736 FirstFirst ... 628112815281578161816261627162816291630163816781728 ... LastLast