Page 1634 of 1748 FirstFirst ... 634113415341584162416321633163416351636164416841734 ... LastLast
Results 40,826 to 40,850 of 43694

Thread: Citi Field

They have 32 days left, I'd say they'd better get cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Union construction...they will take their sweet time then bust their behinds the last 2 weeks of the project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post

Omg!!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Records: Mets' income drops at Citi Field
    Originally published: March 3, 2012 6:40 PM
    Updated: March 3, 2012 10:39 PM
    By JIMBAUMBACH AND RANDI F. MARSHALL. jim.baumbach@newsday.com,, randi.marshall@newsday.com

Photo credit: Jim McIsaac | Citi Field, home of the New York Mets in the Queens borough of New York City. (May 31, 2011)
    Videos
    Mets fans at spring training
    Mets videos
    Galleries
    The Mets under Fred Wilpon
    Mets spring training 2012
    Get to know Ruben Tejada
    Web links
    David Lennon's Mets blog
    The Mets' ballpark-related revenue, including parking, concessions, stadium advertising and more, has all together dropped more than 30 percent since Citi Field opened in 2009, and premium-ticket sales have fallen almost 50 percent, according to financial records.
    Hundreds of pages of documents, which Newsday obtained under the Freedom of Information Law from New York City, provide a partial window into the cash flow of the franchise, whose owners are dealing with financial challenges because of fallout from the $50-billion fraud committed by Bernard Madoff.
    The records do not include some line items that would be found in other parts of the Mets' operations and are designed to show only that the Mets can repay their debts to the city. Not included is revenue from the team's television contract with SportsNet New York and minor league operations expenses and the player payroll. Other records show that the player payroll was $142 million last year and is estimated to be $90 million for the new season.

Trial date approaching
    Bankruptcy trustee Irving Picard's $386-million lawsuit against the team's owners, the Wilpon family and Saul Katz, and their umbrella company, Sterling Equities, is set to go to trial in federal court in Manhattan on March 19.
    Picard is seeking the return of money the Wilpons and Katz invested with Madoff.
    A federal judge is to rule Monday on whether the trial should proceed.
    The records outline the financial performance of Queens Ballpark Company LLC, the subsidiary of Sterling Mets that is responsible for Citi Field operations. Queens Ballpark is required to report its financials to New York City's Industrial Development Agency because the agency issued municipal bonds used to pay for the stadium.

Bond payments due
    Queens Ballpark reports the stadium revenue that the company plans to use to make its $43 million in annual bond payments. The financial statements also reflect ballpark-related expenses, such as maintenance costs, and additional revenue from concessions and parking, the $20 million annual naming rights payment from Citigroup, and $26 million from stadium signage and advertising.
    Dave Howard, the team's executive vice president for business operations, said the financials of Queens Ballpark Company do not reflect the team's overall economic picture.
    The revenue in the financial statements, with premium seats representing the biggest chunk, is supposed to show the city that Queens Ballpark can make the bond payment.
    "This is the defined revenue stream pledged to back up the bonds," Howard said.
    The financial records filed with the also city show:
    Concession revenue alone dropped 28 percent since 2009 to $10.9 million in 2011, and parking alone fell 37 percent to $7 million in 2011.
    Ticket sales for 10,635 premium stadium seats, about 25 percent of the 42,000-seat stadium, declined from $99.3 million in 2009 to $50.6 million through the end of the 2011 season.
    The Mets pay $1 million annually to lease the stadium.
    Expenses for Citi Field have stayed between $85 million and $88 million since the ballpark was built.
    The Mets are projecting an increase in premium-ticket sales revenue, from $50.6 million last year to $56.5 million in 2012. Concession sales are expected to increase, from $10.9 million at the end of September last year to $14.3 million this year, according to the Mets' projected 2012 budget. Meanwhile, as luxury suites come up for renewal, revenue there is budgeted to drop to $6.7 million from $7.7 million in 2011.
    Howard attributed the drop in premium ticket revenue to cutting prices by as much as 40 percent since 2009, which he said was in response to the economic downturn and on-field performance.
    Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon said during his annual state-of-the-team address in Port St. Lucie, Fla., last week, that robust ticket revenue is essential.
    "We have a diminished population coming to Citi Field," Wilpon said. "We need that revenue. We just can't do it on air. We need that revenue to support, and the only way we're going to get that revenue is if we have a competitive, interesting team on the field."
    Experts in the sports business field said the team's financial fortunes will change once the team begins winning consistently.
    "It should be very clear to everyone: When the Mets do return to form on the field, the ballpark-related revenues will follow unquestionably," said Scott Rosner, associate director of the Wharton Sports Business Initiative and a sports business professor at the University of Pennsylvania.
    Michael Cramer, director of the Texas Program in Sports and Media at the University of Texas, said the team has positive long-term financial viability, despite its current struggles.
    "They could get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle [this season] with 10 good players that are young, but that will be lucky," said Cramer, a former minority owner and president of the Texas Rangers. "But [long term], they're going to be fine. That's the crazy thing. The Mets are going to be fine."
    Attendance down
    The Mets' total annual attendance declined 26 percent from 2009 to 2011 -- from 3.2 million to 2.3 million. Nationally, baseball attendance was relatively steady during that period.
    As a result of shrinking attendance, revenue at Citi Field from concessions, parking and advertising slipped each year, with the only uptick from luxury-suite revenue, which is mostly based on multiyear contracts. The Mets went from $3.8 million in 2009 to $7.7 million in 2011.
    The average ticket price for the premium seats for the 2012 season is $81.07, reflecting the 40 percent average price cut since 2009, Howard said.
    "So even if you sold the same number of seats, you're going to have a reduction in revenue," he said. "You're starting off with an all-time high, a zenith so to speak in '09, and the numbers have come down, but they're still healthy numbers."
    Howard declined to provide details on the drop in ticket revenue from the rest of the stadium. The stadium's overall average ticket price last season was $32, according to Forbes magazine. The Mets have added a "dynamic pricing" concept this year, where ticket prices could change as the season progresses to reflect market demand.
    Madoff fallout
    As the Mets owners dealt with the ramifications of the Madoff scandal, they borrowed $65 million from Major League Baseball and other sources to pay bills, and shed high-priced stars such as Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran. General manager Sandy Alderson said the team lost $70 million last year.
    The franchise, which this year is celebrating its 50th anniversary, has been seeking investors to purchase a noncontrolling interest after failing to close a $200 million deal with hedge fund manager David Einhorn.
    Wilpon said last week the Mets will soon close on the sale of seven shares -- including four to SNY and two to family members -- and are in negotiations regarding five additional shares. He added that funds from the sale of these shares, among other things, will be used to repay the $65 million.
    Poor seasons on field
    The Mets’ on-field performance, coupled with the timing of opening a new stadium after the nation’s financial crisis, were primary reasons for the drop in ballpark revenue, Cramer said.
    Other experts cited competition from the Yankees, and the new Yankee Stadium. The Yankees opened their stadium the same year as the Mets — and won the World Series. The Mets struggled to a 70-92 season that year — and have not had a winning season since.
    While teams typically experience revenue declines after consecutive losing seasons, the Mets’ situation is unusual because they had just opened a new stadium.
    “It’s mostly a product of the product on the field,” Smith College sports economist Andrew Zimbalist said. “To some degree it’s an outcome of the economic situation in the country and, I think, to a smaller degree, it’s affected by the bad publicity the Wilpons have had in connection with the Madoff issue.”
    A key point of contention in the trial will be whether the Wilpons knowingly were banking on their sizable and expected Madoff returns to operate the team, which Picard has alleged.
    Picard said in court documents that the Mets’ ownership sometimes could not make payroll without the Madoff investments. Madoff pleaded guilty to running a Ponzi scheme.
    The Wilpons have said they knew nothing about Madoff’s crimes and should not be penalized for investing with him. A spokeswoman for Picard declined to comment further.
    ‘We’ve got to win fans back’
    In a report issued in December, Standard & Poor’s revised its outlook on Queens Ballpark to “negative,” citing declining cash flow “due to the recession, below-average on-field team performance, competition in the New York market for an increased amount of premium seating and, to a lesser extent, team financial difficulties.”
    Standard & Poor’s, along with Moody’s Investors Service, rates the almost $548 million in tax-exempt bonds used to help build Citi Field.
    A spokesman for the New York City Economic Development Corp., which oversees the city’s IDA, declined to comment.
    In January, the team hired CRG Partners, which specializes in turnaround management, restructuring and reorganization, to help with “financial reporting and budgeting processes.”
    The Mets’ cost-cutting last year also included eliminating a minor league affiliate and reducing non-player staff by almost 10 percent.
    But Wilpon said the key to a financial turnaround lies in fielding a competitive team that will encourage people to return to Citi Field.
    “We’ve got to win the fans back,” Wilpon said last week. “Strike that. We’ve got to win the fans and customers back.”
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Wow!!!!!!!!!

Records: Mets' income drops at Citi Field
    Originally published: March 3, 2012 6:40 PM
    Updated: March 3, 2012 10:39 PM
    By JIMBAUMBACH AND RANDI F. MARSHALL...

I think the Coupons are low-balling these revenue numbers. Most people only remember the part of Fred's New Yorker feature where he slammed his own players. I remember this quote:

"An increase of just two hundred thousand fans would also add about twenty-five million to the team’s coffers"

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...currentPage=11

That means two million fans equals $250 million in revenue. Simple math. Apparently some things are either being under-reported or left out entirely.

The concession revenues they're reporting - $10.9 million last year spent by 2.3 million fans - would mean each fan spends less than $5 during the 3 or so hours a ballgame takes. You can't even get a soda or bag of peanuts for that. I despise the Wilpons and always try to bring my own food, but even I average more money spent on food than that. I call B.S. on this. Perhaps the Wilpons have another corporate entity set up that rakes off the rest of the money, but these numbers are absurd.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I don't think it really has much to do with the team because the team has been competitive the past two seasons. We're not talking about the 1962, 1980, or 1993 Mets. I 100% believe it has to do with Citi Field. Fans went and most came away unimpressed and put off by this giant mall with an oh by the way baseball field. Fans do not like it. We come to see baseball, not fancy food court burritos. It's rather off-putting to see hordes of people leaving their seats every two seconds to walk around the park. It's distracting and annoying. Might as well stay home where you can watch the game in peace and quiet. 800 million dollars and this is what we get? Damn shame.

If you win under 80 games, tough to categorize the season as a whole a competitive one. Citi Field has yet to see a winning season. That's the answer. Plain and simple. A 90 plus win team would pack that house, if they played at Citi, if they played anywhere. Maybe premium seats would be sold cheaper on stubhub like NYS but it would be full. September games with no big game to play, asking for trouble attendance wise. If they were competitive in September last two or three years, different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I think the Coupons are low-balling these revenue numbers. Most people only remember the part of Fred's New Yorker feature where he slammed his own players. I remember this quote:

"An increase of just two hundred thousand fans would also add about twenty-five million to the team’s coffers"

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...currentPage=11

That means two million fans equals $250 million in revenue. Simple math. Apparently some things are either being under-reported or left out entirely.

The concession revenues they're reporting - $10.9 million last year spent by 2.3 million fans - would mean each fan spends less than $5 during the 3 or so hours a ballgame takes. You can't even get a soda or bag of peanuts for that. I despise the Wilpons and always try to bring my own food, but even I average more money spent on food than that. I call B.S. on this. Perhaps the Wilpons have another corporate entity set up that rakes off the rest of the money, but these numbers are absurd.
    This article came from the Dolan's paper, never underestimate their stake in getting their hands on SNY or how low they can go against competition.

Of course we all know the Mets have not had a home since Fredo and Jeff R Us decided it's time for taxpayers to build a low ball/low seat monument to the Brooklyn Dodgers and eliminate 14,000 seats forever.

He'll never get his Brooklyn neighborhood to go with this disaster which was the plan from day one.

It was too easy projecting all this looking back.
    Last edited by WEB; 03-05-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    I don't think it really has much to do with the team because the team has been competitive the past two seasons. We're not talking about the 1962, 1980, or 1993 Mets. I 100% believe it has to do with Citi Field. Fans went and most came away unimpressed and put off by this giant mall with an oh by the way baseball field. Fans do not like it. We come to see baseball, not fancy food court burritos. It's rather off-putting to see hordes of people leaving their seats every two seconds to walk around the park. It's distracting and annoying. Might as well stay home where you can watch the game in peace and quiet. 800 million dollars and this is what we get? Damn shame.
    AMEN ! The distractions are overwhelming. The NOISE is deafening. " I went to a Rap concert and a baseball game broke out" . Constant noise, even between pitches !!!! The team should dictate the noise the crowd makes, not the scoreboard telling you to MAKE SOME NOISE. It's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyzat View Post
    AMEN ! The distractions are overwhelming. The NOISE is deafening. " I went to a Rap concert and a baseball game broke out" . Constant noise, even between pitches !!!! The team should dictate the noise the crowd makes, not the scoreboard telling you to MAKE SOME NOISE. It's insulting.
    We all know this is not unique to one team or one sport. Its just living in the 21st century. Hard to go back in time.

Citi Field is new home of Amazin' and is where "Mets" of National League East play. "Mets" have been at the Citi Field home of Amazin' every year since their inception in 1962 with the exceptions of 1962 to 2008 inclusive when they did not play at City Field stadium because it ain't been built yet so they played in the temporary facilities of Polo Ground and the Shea stadium which although temporary seved "Mets" for many years. But now that Citi Field is built the "Mets" can play there which they have since 1962 except as I said for 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979. 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.

X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

I watched Money Ball over the weekend. Gave me some hope for this season

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrill5one6 View Post
    I watched Money Ball over the weekend. Gave me some hope for this season
    Only problem is that Billy Bean never had to equate into his mega super successful 1 ALCS appearance plan a, $50 Billion Ponzi scheme and Valley Fever.
    Last edited by Jim Vaz; 03-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.

PARTY DECK

Hey guys--
    Just got an email from my rep about renting the "party deck"-- Anybody interested in doing this like we did a "suite night" a few years back? Pricing includes admission, food & beer. We'd need a minimum of 25 to rent it out.

Tricia

AMENITIES
    ACCESS
    Enter through Left Field Gate
    Wheelchair accessible
    SEATING
    25-102 guests; assigned seating
    Barstools or regular seats
    EXTRAS
    Scoreboard greeting
    Dedicated in-seat service
    PRICING
    Marquee Games: $200
    Premium Games: $150
    Classic Games: $125
    Value Games: $100

Quote Originally Posted by Dishy24 View Post
    PARTY DECK

Hey guys--
    Just got an email from my rep about renting the "party deck"-- Anybody interested in doing this like we did a "suite night" a few years back? Pricing includes admission, food & beer. We'd need a minimum of 25 to rent it out.

Tricia

AMENITIES
    ACCESS
    Enter through Left Field Gate
    Wheelchair accessible
    SEATING
    25-102 guests; assigned seating
    Barstools or regular seats
    EXTRAS
    Scoreboard greeting
    Dedicated in-seat service
    PRICING
    Marquee Games: $200
    Premium Games: $150
    Classic Games: $125
    Value Games: $100

Depending on the date, I would be interested..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Depending on the date, I would be interested..
    Same here.

Count me in, too, for the Party Deck. Again, depending on the date.

Here's the info page that was sent out, giving details of the complimentary food and beverages available.

Pencil me in. Again, depending on the date.

Along with a written guarantee that I get first dibs on all baseballs hit into the area.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    We all know this is not unique to one team or one sport. Its just living in the 21st century. Hard to go back in time.
    My thoughts exactly, espically with the ribbon boards too. These are things that this generation of up and coming fans wants/needs, trust me when I see so many women at the game looking at the scorboard for the hat shuffle game or the lets make some noise sign its a sign that its working on the non traditional baseball fan.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Are some of you people here actually implying that the reason for the poor attendance at Citi Field is NOT due to the Mets' horrible 5 seasons in a row but it's rather due to the fans simply not liking the stadium? You can't be serious. If the Mets had a winning and competitive team, consistently in playoff contention, I'm pretty sure people would not care about the stadium at all. The reason for poor attendance is because Mets fans are fed up with the lousy team and ownership.

Ummmmmm food & beer....and throw my favorite baseball team in as added bonus??? Can you please add me. Oh, and I'll only request a bar stool to sit my fat a$$. Someone shorter, smaller can have a seat.

i know this is stupid to complain about, but I really dont like the way the retired numbers and champion banners look on the wall anymore, they almost seemed blocked and cut off by people and railling of the party deck now. the classy thing to do would be isntead of selling ad space on the blue wall, they put the retired numbers and banners on it instead, or find a new place, because they now look like an afterthought just taked up on the wall behind the party deck.
    Lets Go Mets, Jets, Islanders !!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnql View Post
    Count me in, too, for the Party Deck. Again, depending on the date.

Here's the info page that was sent out, giving details of the complimentary food and beverages available.

Since you need to buy a munium of 25 tickets to a game to get intot his section.
    Unless you can get the other 24 other people to split the cost you. You are paying a minimum of $2,500 (value days) to $5,000 on Marquee days just to be able to buy tickets in this section. A lot of money even for a Birthday or anniversary party which it would have to be for most people to justify the expense. A Very Hard sell especially with the perceived state of the team.
    Last edited by dla75; 03-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Agreed, I think committing it to a group area is a bad idea, unless they release unsold seats as single tickets closer to game day. As single tickets, you'll sell plenty of them this year just for curiosity's sake. As a party area alone, lot of tumbleweeds, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPunk2512 View Post
    i know this is stupid to complain about, but I really dont like the way the retired numbers and champion banners look on the wall anymore, they almost seemed blocked and cut off by people and railling of the party deck now. the classy thing to do would be isntead of selling ad space on the blue wall, they put the retired numbers and banners on it instead, or find a new place, because they now look like an afterthought just taked up on the wall behind the party deck.
    Agree - they should hang from the Shea Bridge!
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Page 1634 of 1748 FirstFirst ... 634113415341584162416321633163416351636164416841734 ... LastLast