Page 1638 of 1739 FirstFirst ... 638113815381588162816361637163816391640164816881738 ... LastLast
Results 40,926 to 40,950 of 43471

Thread: Citi Field

  1. #40926
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,040
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    That's Keith's Burger stand I think you are referring to.
    "Keith's Grill" is on the Field Level concourse, just off the left field corner near section 132.


    (Photo taken June 7, 2011. Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

  2. #40927
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR via Brooklyn
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Sure it was nicely stated - except for the boorish personal attack.

    Please stop typing, you are looking worse and worse.

  3. #40928
    Quote Originally Posted by metfan61 View Post
    Whay cant the just do it right? Maybe when they are comfortable with the demensions thye'll do it permanant like this.

    I think the second platform looks tacked on either way

    Attachment 105724
    The problem with that solution (nice photoshop BTW) is that if you brought in the wall, like you illustrate, to the new dimensions, the wall would be much higher than the 8 ft it will be with the party deck set-up.

    The wall would only be lowered about 3 feet if it was raked the same as the existing deck, so you'd still have a high 13 ft wall in LF. For the record, I would have had no problem with that, but the Mets players and many fans were probably pushing for a more HR-friendly 8 foot wall.

    Also, adding 3 rows of non-premium seating is not as attractive financially as adding 2 rows of premium party suite-style seating.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  4. #40929
    Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    Geez are you so intent on not letting me have an opinion?

    When did I ever say they need to reincarnate Michelangelo to paint the numbers a la Sistine Chapel? Do you only think in black and white at the opposite extreme ends of an opinion? All I'm saying is that I think the current presentation of the retired numbers and banners is done very cheaply and shoddy. And the fact that it's just vinyl stickers that were seemingly slapped onto the last available empty space on the outfield wall in the midst of all the advertisements only enhances the cheapness to it. NO they don't have to hire Michelangelo and build a shrine, and I never said that, but at least make a respectable EFFORT to do something that makes it somewhat more decent looking than what they have now.

    Also, you keep trying to retort that this is a small detail to complain about, but last I checked this thread is about Citi Field the stadium, not the current situation of the Mets regarding finances, performance, politics, or anything else, but the stadium itself. I see nothing wrong with stating my opinion about the retired numbers/banners on a thread that is meant for such topics regarding the stadium.

    Totally agree with Ray on this one. The numbers and banners look slapped together and cheap. They appear as almost an afterthought imo. There has to be a better design and place for them. Its emblematic of the Wilpon's overall sense of aesthetic and idea of what of the franchise's history the fans really would like to see. You can almost see in many of the secondary details how tortured they we're in making the decision. Many of the wrong ideas were brought over from Shea - the placement of the banners and numbers being the clearest of them. The placement of the Apple and overall look of the batter's eye being another. Imo, the retired numbers (with the name) should be above the bullpen area where the Wise sign is and a better design of the banners should be on the facing of the second deck in LF (where the Spongetek/Bob's Furniture ads are). I personally like the way the Braves have their banners:

    Attachment 105728


    Also, the banners at the 126th St entrance should be replace with something a little better than cardboard (another head shaker). I personally like what the Sox do at Fenway:

    5157658618_7f8fe383b8_b.jpg

  5. #40930
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    5,584
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    That's Keith's Burger stand I think you are referring to. No idea if that is "Shake Shack" or "Brooklyn Burgers" that provide the food.
    That's something different. There is a kitchen located somewhere (not a stand) on the delta club level that also cooks shack burgers....it is for the in seat service.

  6. #40931
    Quote Originally Posted by xtimx View Post
    Please stop typing, you are looking worse and worse.
    redacted....
    Last edited by Strawman; 03-08-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: decided not to dignify - draw your own conclusions
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  7. #40932
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    All great points and I completely agree with you, but if I can defend him maybe a little. I think it comes more along the idea of what we thought it would be.
    For me I personally thought that they would go all out and create basically a second platform of reinforced concrete and steel so that when you walked on it, it didn't have the feel and sound of regular metal bleachers, which it is what it will essentially feel like, maybe a little smoother than your average HS bleachers.
    Maybe some people expeceted it to be a full new solid level, sort of the reverse opposite of Fenways green monster seats that were added in 2003. Obviously that has to be completely solid and strong because its a whole section that's canilevered out slightly over Landsdowne St. and sits a good 25 or 30 ft above it. Either way IMO it doesn't matter, what they're doing at Citi is fine and more than adequate.
    Exactly because it looks like a rush job with inexpensive materials it naturally occurs to - say - a concerned parent who's seen his share of bleacher collapses in the news to worry aloud.

    And, btw, I like Citi Field quite a bit - have defended the overall design of the place here since the opening. Heck, it's a much nicer building than the larger, more expensive (but sadly pedestrian) palace by the same firm across town. A rarity for our Mets to get something better!

    That this hodgepodge party deck on stilts takes away a distinctive design feature instantly recognizable throughout baseball is certainly part of my disenchantment with this project - but it also doesn't 'look safe' to the untrained eye.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  8. #40933
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    "Keith's Grill" is on the Field Level concourse, just off the left field corner near section 132.


    (Photo taken June 7, 2011. Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    Thanks Gary. Ah, and that clearly was done by Brooklyn. Hmmm...I wonder if that stand will still be in use now that Brooklyn Burgers are no longer in Citi Field.

  9. #40934
    I like the idea of the retired #'s in the pen. But I would consider putting them on the Shea Bridge facing the field. Its so bland. I also said I would have put SHEA BRIDGE in lights facing the field to make it stand out a bit...

  10. #40935
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Exactly because it looks like a rush job with inexpensive materials it naturally occurs to - say - a concerned parent who's seen his share of bleacher collapses in the news to worry aloud.

    And, btw, I like Citi Field quite a bit - have defended the overall design of the place here since the opening. Heck, it's a much nicer building than the larger, more expensive (but sadly pedestrian) palace by the same firm across town. A rarity for our Mets to get something better!

    That this hodgepodge party deck on stilts takes away a distinctive design feature instantly recognizable throughout baseball is certainly part of my disenchantment with this project - but it also doesn't 'look safe' to the untrained eye.
    Uh first off its not done yet, You will never see whats underneath when its done, but YET again the foundation undereneath is plenty strong enuff for its intended use.. could we put this to rest already.. amazing cause its not concrete people are up in arms. Let it go already!!!

  11. #40936
    Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    Geez are you so intent on not letting me have an opinion?

    When did I ever say they need to reincarnate Michelangelo to paint the numbers a la Sistine Chapel? Do you only think in black and white at the opposite extreme ends of an opinion? All I'm saying is that I think the current presentation of the retired numbers and banners is done very cheaply and shoddy. And the fact that it's just vinyl stickers that were seemingly slapped onto the last available empty space on the outfield wall in the midst of all the advertisements only enhances the cheapness to it. NO they don't have to hire Michelangelo and build a shrine, and I never said that, but at least make a respectable EFFORT to do something that makes it somewhat more decent looking than what they have now.

    Also, you keep trying to retort that this is a small detail to complain about, but last I checked this thread is about Citi Field the stadium, not the current situation of the Mets regarding finances, performance, politics, or anything else, but the stadium itself. I see nothing wrong with stating my opinion about the retired numbers/banners on a thread that is meant for such topics regarding the stadium.
    Ray
    I think you are taking my comments a little too personally. My comment on using vinyl applications for the number presentation is this - it's used reguarly in outside presentations (such as advertising, the industry that I work in) & no one would notice if they were peeling if they were properly maintained. You said that you thought that the use of the applications was not appropriate (hence my tongue in cheek comment on Michelangelo) - I disagree as long as they are properly maintained.

    As for the location - they have a huge LF wall with the ads on the bottom 8'. IMO, putting the retired numbers/championships on the upper part of the wall seems logical to me (and for the last few yrs, there have been no ads on the upper portion of the wall).

    As for finances - lets be honest - almost every subject on this thread comes down to the Wilpons being cheap, cutting corners and running the team poorly. In many ways I 100% agree with those thoughts. But my initial comment for people to get a grip was due to the fact someone posted that the peeling stickers were "...the Wilpons in a nutshell".

    You're entitiled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

    IMO if done right, no one would know how the #s were presented on the wall. The applications are probably past their useful lives. And for all we know the Mets replace the applications every season (Gary's photo was taken in November).

    Hopefully that clears things up.
    Last edited by schnu; 03-08-2012 at 07:35 AM.

  12. #40937
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,040
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Thanks Gary. Ah, and that clearly was done by Brooklyn. Hmmm...I wonder if that stand will still be in use now that Brooklyn Burgers are no longer in Citi Field.
    I don't see why not. The burgers will just be supplied by whoever will replace Brooklyn Burger as the official burger of the Mets. I'm sure Keith doesn't care.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

  13. #40938
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,040
    Quote Originally Posted by schnu View Post
    My comment on using vinyl applications for the number presentation is this - it's used reguarly in outside presentations (such as advertising, the industry that I work in) & no one would notice if they were peeling if they were properly maintained. You said that you thought that the use of the applications was not appropriate (hence my tongue in cheek comment on Michelangelo) - I disagree as long as they are properly maintained.

    <snip>

    IMO if done right, no one would know how the #s were presented on the wall. And the applications are probably past their useful lives. And for all we know the Mets put up new versions them every season (Gary's photo was taken in November).
    I agree with schnu. I took that first photo - the one looking from the stands, looking down towards the field - because I was surprised when I saw the peeling. I didn't know, and I didn't care, how the numbers were displayed. I don't think the actual physical retired numbers themselves are sacred or sacrosanct - for instance, if/when the Mets retire another number (be it Carter, Piazza or anyone else), they're going to need to make room for it, so they might need to put all of the numbers in a different location. If memory serves me right - and I'm not sure it does in this case - when the Mets originally displayed their retired numbers on the wall at Shea Stadium, there were only two - #37 and #14 - so one was displayed in the left field corner, and the other one in right. Later, they were on the outfield fence in left field, and in 2008 they were above the field, underneath the rotating advertising sign. So as long as the numbers were maintained in good condition, it didn't matter what they were made of. And I don't think you can fault any damage caused by batted balls.

    Incidentally, that first photo was taken in 2009. Only the two taken from the field were from November.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

  14. #40939
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    491
    i didnt mean to start a sticker war when i made my comment, but i want to state it again. i feel like the placement is so bad now for both numbers and banners because they seemed blocked off in the drawings and in the video from mlb 12 game, the deck, railing and people will be level with them blockin ghtem and i feel like that is what makes they cheap now. i totally agree the stickers are unacceptible, but they need to be moved just because of the party deck height now interfering with the presentation of them. they should put the baners and numbers on the end of the decks, like either on the pepsi porch or left field landing. it would be cool to see what some teams have done, they put silouetts with the reitred numbers on the outfield walls, now that looks awsome and classy to me.
    Lets Go Mets, Jets, Islanders !!!

  15. #40940
    Today's Times- David Brooks on the OpEd page writes "Hey Mets! I just can't quit you". (March 9). Also on Metsblog. The perfect article that sums it all up.

  16. #40941
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by schnu View Post
    Ray
    I think you are taking my comments a little too personally. My comment on using vinyl applications for the number presentation is this - it's used reguarly in outside presentations (such as advertising, the industry that I work in) & no one would notice if they were peeling if they were properly maintained. You said that you thought that the use of the applications was not appropriate (hence my tongue in cheek comment on Michelangelo) - I disagree as long as they are properly maintained.

    As for the location - they have a huge LF wall with the ads on the bottom 8'. IMO, putting the retired numbers/championships on the upper part of the wall seems logical to me (and for the last few yrs, there have been no ads on the upper portion of the wall).

    As for finances - lets be honest - almost every subject on this thread comes down to the Wilpons being cheap, cutting corners and running the team poorly. In many ways I 100% agree with those thoughts. But my initial comment for people to get a grip was due to the fact someone posted that the peeling stickers were "...the Wilpons in a nutshell".

    You're entitiled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

    IMO if done right, no one would know how the #s were presented on the wall. The applications are probably past their useful lives. And for all we know the Mets replace the applications every season (Gary's photo was taken in November).

    Hopefully that clears things up.
    Schnu you seem to be hung up on the notion that the only reason I dislike the retired numbers and banners is because the vinyl application is peeling, and if it weren't peeling and better maintained, I ought to be satisfied. That is where your argument hits a dead end. Because I don't care if the vinyl application is pristine and of the utmost highest quality vinyl stickers you can find on planet earth. I just simply don't like the overall presentation and the location in which they put it. If you like it, then that's fine and more power to you.

  17. #40942
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    897
    *glitchy forum double posted my comment
    Last edited by RayNY; 03-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.

  18. #40943
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,040
    New images posted by the Mets on Facebook...









    https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...1890077&type=1
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

  19. #40944
    Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    Schnu you seem to be hung up on the notion that the only reason I dislike the retired numbers and banners is because the vinyl application is peeling, and if it weren't peeling and better maintained, I ought to be satisfied. That is where your argument hits a dead end. Because I don't care if the vinyl application is pristine and of the utmost highest quality vinyl stickers you can find on planet earth. I just simply don't like the overall presentation and the location in which they put it. If you like it, then that's fine and more power to you.
    Ray - that's fair. Some people don't like them on the wall & you're in that camp. I didn't have a problem where they were located.

    It will be interesting to see if they keep the numbers and championship "flags" in the party deck location or if they place them somewhere else in the stadium.

  20. #40945
    [QUOTE=Gary Dunaier;1988104]New images posted by the Mets on Facebook...

    Great barstools!

  21. #40946
    I dont get the weird extra angle... why not follow the concrete wall to the natural angle already there towards the corner.

    Wall.jpg

  22. #40947
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    897
    That's because they're not moving the foul pole. The new section must taper off before it gets to the foul pole.

  23. #40948
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    897
    Attachment 105780

    This rendering shows that the retired numbers will not be impeded by fans, although the banners still might be. This is obviously considering the fact that they won't move the numbers/banners, which I see no reason why the Wilpons would.

    It also shows how the home run line will be set up in the far left field wall where the new section tapers into the old wall. The HR line will continue from the new section and onto the old wall and apparently it will become one of those ambiguously placed HR lines that does not define the top edge of a wall, but rather runs right through it. Call me nitpicky but I'm still of the belief that a HR line should always be the top edge of a wall, and if it goes over it's a HR, if not, then no HR. Even the remaining black wall that is still above the HR line in the Big Apple section still bothers me. In this case with the new section however, I don't think there was anything they could've done. And if it helps the team...
    Last edited by RayNY; 03-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.

  24. #40949
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    New images posted by the Mets on Facebook...









    https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...1890077&type=1
    LOL at the Facebook comments. I expect the Mets will purge them very soon.

  25. #40950

    Citi field Left field area vs Shea Picnic area

    Try to get a similar photo of shea LF picnic area to the one on the mets facebook page.
    My first reaction is paint the seats.
    Also did the mets ditch the portal in front of the Left field gold seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1638 of 1739 FirstFirst ... 638113815381588162816361637163816391640164816881738 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •