Page 1641 of 2249 FirstFirst ... 6411141154115911631163916401641164216431651169117412141 ... LastLast
Results 32,801 to 32,820 of 44970

Thread: Citi Field

Quote Originally Posted by RayNY View Post
    What the true intentions of Fred Wilpon were is beyond the point. I agree that he is obsessed with the Brooklyn Dodgers. But for face value alone, without having any pretext about Fredo's Dodger fetish, the Jackie Robinson Rotunda is simply honoring Jackie Robinson, not the Dodgers.

A Babe Ruth Rotunda is not a good analogy because the only thing Babe Ruth represented really was himself, as a very good baseball player for the Yankees. Jackie Robinson represented something more beyond the team he played for and even beyond baseball.
    Babe Ruth WAS rotunda....
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Ray, and gordongecko, you guys got it right. That's exactly what I meant.
    When shea stadium open in 1964, you went in and knew right away that the NY METS played there because of the huge mets logo on the scoreboard. Last year you went in to the city field and what you saw was that BIG citi-field sign and everything else that you mention,
    oh yeah in very small prints a (like in one) sign that said lets go mets/home of the mets.
    Some posters just read one of my quotes instead of everything I wrote and started acting like a or some TV evangelist,
    jumping up and down, talking in tongues and making NO SENSE.
    I don't have a problem with the mets honoring Jackie Robinson a fellow VETERAN (army officer WW2) it that the Wilpons chose to honor the brooklyn dodgers (ebbert field,etc) and very little mentions of the NY GIANTS. hence my mention of Willie Mays, yes he is black
    Joan Payson one of the mets oringinal owner honor not only the NY giants which she used to owned, she also honor the brooklyn dodgers, and YES the NY Yankees (she hired CASEY STENGEL). she paid tribute to the whole metropolitan area unlike the wilpons.
    NY METS=ny giants and brooklyn dodgers
    As for O'Malley, he NEVER wanted his brooklyn team in queens, so NO he wouldn't have pick up his pen and sign.
    Granted Jackie Robinson had part in the civil right movement and open the door for people of all color/race,nationally, but he had very little to do with other black pioneers in other PRO sports, back then baseball was the major sport, with the negro league, the NL and the AL.
    so jackie went from the negro league to the NA, first black player in the PRO minor leagues then the NL or the Major League
    PRO basketball had black players since the begining, so did american football, and hockey. the NHL didn't have much black players because at that time there wasn't that many black people in Canada, and as one black player put it, I don't have to deal with discrimination in my country, so why would I join the NHL and get treated like a dirtball in the south, when I can make more money doing something else here in Canada.
    Pro sports did not pay that well back then. One of the reason the Mets traded NOLAN RYAN was because he had a weekend job.
    Last edited by drdg; 04-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.

I'm reminded of a funny story regarding Casey Stengel's testimony during the 1958 Senate Anti-Trust and Monopoly Subcommittee Hearings. Stengel was asked a couple of questions and his responses lasted for what seemed like hours. In his typical style, Casey was all over the place, with his usual non-sequiturs, often not making any sense.

When the questioning was over, Stengel was thanked and he stepped down. They called upon Mickey Mantle next:

Senator Kefauver: "Mr. Mantle, do you have any observations with reference to the applicability of the antitrust laws to baseball?"

Mickey Mantle's: "My views are about the same as Casey's."

Everyone started to crack up (I've heard the audio). Here's the entire testimony:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quot...estimony.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    One of the reason the Mets traded NOLAN RYAN was because he had a weekend job.
    the reason that he was traded was that ryan was constantly developing blisters, walking batters, the coaching staff and front office saw gentry, matlack etc. as the future and m. donlad grant was being hounded by dick young to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    I think the Robinson rotunda is terrific, and the big 42 a bit over the top but tasteful at the same time. The "Ebbets Club" at the top was overkill though, and played into the feeling that the Robinson tribute went beyond honoring one of the great National League players of New York and also a historic figure in his own right, and making a shrine to his boyhood team. .
    As a Brooklynite and Dodger history lover I don't mind the homage to Ebbets or Jackie but it does go over the top sometimes. I completely agree that the Mets are a better link to the pre-Cali Giants and Dodgers but the stadium and organization does a bad job of giving both teams equal share. I don't want to overwrite the Mets heritage (we have been playing crappy baseball for almost 50 years now) but I do like the tip of the cap to the Jints and Bums. Now if they can only do it in a cool way. But that'd never happen, this is the same team that got rick-rolled for an 8th inning song.
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Lightbulb nolan ryan u.s army reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    the reason that he was traded was that ryan was constantly developing blisters, walking batters, the coaching staff and front office saw gentry, matlack etc. as the future and m. donlad grant was being hounded by dick young to do something.
    Nolan Ryan was drafted in the army in 1966
    he spent time in the army reserve from jan13-may 13 1967 during the baseball season
    and again from aug11-sept 1, 1969
    in 1971 when he ask the mets to trade him, he was still serving weekend time (weekend job)
    in houston while still in the reserve.
    AGAIN, back then, Pro players not only did not make a lot of money
    they also had to serve their country.
    for more infor http://metsphotos.com/2010/04/02/car...ry-koosman-rc/

I did not get drafted, but I spent 21 years active duty in the U.S. NAVY

Nolan Ryan was drafted in the army in 1966
    he spent time in the army reserve from jan13-may 13 1967 during the baseball season
    and again from aug11-sept 1, 1969
    in 1971 when he ask the mets to trade him, he was still serving weekend time (weekend job)
    in houston while still in the reserve.
    AGAIN, back then, Pro players not only did not make a lot of money
    they also had to serve their country.
    for more infor http://metsphotos.com/2010/04/02/car...ry-koosman-rc/

I did not get drafted, but I spent 21 years active duty in the U.S. NAVY
    A sincere thank you for your service to our country !

good old Casey "come see my metsies play"
    I have 3 catchers, "one can't hit, one can't throw, and one can't catch"
    and lets not forget his star pupil
    YOGI BERRA
    not only a yankee great, he is also a METS icon
    the only manager to take both the yankees and mets to the world series

you are very welcome

I spent 21 years active duty in the U.S. NAVY
    Is that you that the Village People were singing about?

In The Navy.........
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Smile

much ado about nothing of consequence...
    I know. Just causing trouble.

Yep. I remember that. The Nolan Ryan that played for the Mets wasn't The Great Nolan Ryan. Gentry was a front line starter from 69-71, while Ryan was an inconsistent spot starter/reliever. Gentry had a better ERA, better strikeouts and better WHIP.

The worst part* is that McFarlane has issued Nolan Ryan figures for each of his teams EXCEPT THE METS!!!

(* not really)

Quote Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    Is that you that the Village People were singing about?

In The Navy.........
    that funny, I read your post, and instantly went to look for the song on youtube

that song was famous in 1978, so NO it is not me that they are singing about
    but YES that song is one of the reason why I joined in 1979
    and yes I did sail the 6 seas. never sail the black sea, but I did set foot on it
    I also sail the 4 oceans.
    that song brings back some great memories

that astros ryan is disturbing.

Small crowd again tonight

I'm kinda suprised to see alot of the PR outfield seats are empty, since they are very cheap and are mostly occupied by 6-plan holders.

is that blood?!
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand. "
    Leo Durocher
    US baseball manager (1906 - 1991)

Quote Originally Posted by thewrong5 View Post

is that blood?!
    Ryan was hit in the lip by a Bo Jackson liner, and stayed in the game, Sept 8, 1990.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n32097568/
    Last edited by Swoboda4; 04-20-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Ryan was hit in the lip by a Bo Jackson liner, and stayed in the game, Sept 8, 1990.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n32097568/

So is everyone loading up on Kids Club memberships...??

Page 1641 of 2249 FirstFirst ... 6411141154115911631163916401641164216431651169117412141 ... LastLast