Page 513 of 643 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515523563613 ... LastLast
Results 12,801 to 12,825 of 16053

Thread: Yankee Stadium [II]

Quote Originally Posted by Rob R View Post
    Exactly, and I'm glad you mentioned the part I bolded.

I've said it 1,000 times here and it still holds true: A couple of people like to romanticize about RYS as they do their first girlfriend (or boyfriend). They want to pretend that everything was perfect and ignore the flaws, of which RYS had many. The same applies to the crowd noise level at RYS. They want to pretend that RYS rock and rolled and shook like an earthquake on every pitch, every inning; as if games in August were as loud and wild as when Boone hit the homer.

Simply ain't true and they know it. Why is it that nobody acknowledges that it was so quiet at RYS that you can hear a pin drop, during what should have been the most exciting World Series, at least to New Yorkers - in 2000, Mets vs. Yankees. The same McCarver and Buck were SHOCKED at how quiet RYS was throughout that series and repeatedly mentioned it. Not only one game (like game 1 of last year) but the entire series! Yet, somebody keeps bringing up McCarver's and Buck's comments from game 1 in 2009, when the Yanks were lifeless from the first pitch on, and fans somewhat anxious because of the "drought" of 5 long Yankee years (yes, we're spoiled).

Then you have people quoting Jimmy Rollins of all people! Jimmy Effin Rollins! Funny how nobody mentioned that it was as quiet as a church mouse in games 3 and 4 at CBP! Gee, I wonder why.

But NYS sure rocked in games 2 and 6! So much so that notorious Yankee hater, Mike Lupica, said that NYS roared and shook like the old. Matt Stairs, of the PHILLIES, said NYS got so loud that he couldn't help but get the chills in his congratulatory statement to the Yanks (the punk Rollins hid). Of course some people here conveniently don't mention those games or comments.
    THANK YOU, ROB!!!! And I think it was either the 2000 or 2001 ALCS Tino Martinez complained about how quiet the crowd was for a few games. Certain people as you know just want to complain and throw the thread off topic IMO. So many people ( good contributors) have left this forum as a result.
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

Quote Originally Posted by threeyoda View Post
    Oh god! All of you (see 1923 & locke40) just SHUT UP!!!!! NO ONE GIVES A HOOT ABOUT THE SOUND. YOU ARE THE ONLY 2 PEOPLE I'VE EVER MET THAT SAY YANKEE STADIUM ISN'T LOUD. NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT ANYMORE. STOP REHASHING THIS STUPID DEBATE!!
    best post ever on this site!

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    I first thought about Rupperts plaque back in '05, when the NYS plans were announced.Maybe they should take that line out, just like they removed a piece of the facade in RYS because it slightly blocked the replay screen. I guess they'll just leave it there so that future fans will believe that THIS is the only YS that ever existed.
    They should create a smaller bronze plaque of the famous opening day photo of Yankee Stadium in 1923 and place it under the Jacob Ruppert plaque.....Yankee Stadium 1923-2008.

We wouldn't want any "Fasionable Fans" to read the plaque and have the impression that new Yankee Stadium was the "Imposing Edifice" envisioned by Ruppert.

You can't have it both ways. The Yankees decided the nostalgia and history of the famed Yankee Stadium was not worth saving....Ditto for the City.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    Did you guys see that stadium? I cant believe it cost as much or more than Yankee Stadium. Yeah its big, but its a big plain nothing to me. Outside of a lot of electronics, nothing interesting or neat about it. I will take NYS over it anyday.
    Early on from construction photos I could see that the building was going to be somewhat bland in appearance. As I was leaving the Meadowlands on the train back to Manhattan after the December 2009 Jets Falcons game I was able to get a good view from afar. The exterior really is not impressive.
    I think the interior design is okay and the gray seats had to be neutral for both teams.

The Yankees did a much better job with the money spent than the Jets and Giants did across the river.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Oh god! All of you (see 1923 & locke40) just SHUT UP!!!!! NO ONE GIVES A HOOT ABOUT THE SOUND. YOU ARE THE ONLY 2 PEOPLE I'VE EVER MET THAT SAY YANKEE STADIUM ISN'T LOUD. NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT ANYMORE. STOP REHASHING THIS STUPID DEBATE!!
    I visited my longtime friends at McSorley's Old Ale House last week and one of the bartenders went to the New Yankee Stadium for the first time against Boston Sunday night. The first words out of his mouth was he felt like he was walking around a shopping mall....Unbiased opinion.

McSorley patron listening to the conversation mentions he misses the electrafying atmosphere of the Old place and did not get the same impresssion from attending Playoff/World Series games last year.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    I visited my longtime friends at McSorley's Old Ale House last week and one of the bartenders went to the New Yankee Stadium for the first time against Boston Sunday night. The first words out of his mouth was he felt like he was walking around a shopping mall....Unbiased opinion.

McSorley patron listening to the conversation mentions he misses the electrafying atmosphere of the Old place and did not get the same impresssion from attending Playoff/World Series games last year.
    Woop-de-doo. I don't care about some bartenders or a patron of McSorley's opinions are of the ballpark. I've heard it loud. I've been there when it was loud. I KNOW it gets loud.

Here's some pictures I took from the 7/25 game vs the Royals:

Grandstand 434a

View from the concourse

Terrace 328

...and some pictures I took from the 8/6 game vs the Red Sox (Grandstand 423):

Woop-de-doo. I don't care about some bartenders or a patron of McSorley's opinions are of the ballpark. I've heard it loud. I've been there when it was loud. I KNOW it gets loud.
    The same could be said about your opinion. I brought up a recent unbiased opinion from non fanatic baseball fans outside of Baseball Fever. I could have brought up the fact that last Thanksgiving seeing family and friends...Many who are longtime season ticket holders mentioned that something is just missing at the new place.

I'm not a stranger to new Yankee Stadium as I do attend games and rarely miss watching a game throughout the season.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    Here's some pictures I took from the 7/25 game vs the Royals:

Grandstand 434a

View from the concourse

Terrace 328
    Nice pics....Too many empty seats....

What inning did you take the photos?
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

The first picture was the first pitch of the game, still a lot of fans entering the stadium at that point. There was 48,000 at the game I believe, so by the 2nd inning most of those empty seats were filled. The other two pictures were taken after a 2.5 hour rain delay. I was able to move around and grab some pictures from different areas.

The same could be said about your opinion. I brought up a recent unbiased opinion from non fanatic baseball fans outside of Baseball Fever. I could have brought up the fact that last Thanksgiving seeing family and friends...Many who are longtime season ticket holders mentioned that something is just missing at the new place.

I'm not a stranger to new Yankee Stadium as I do attend games and rarely miss watching a game throughout the season.
    I have an unbiased opinion too. I have seen and heard it firsthand.

But that's it. I'm gonna stop posting here for now. Once this board cleans up and straightens itself out, I'll come back. It was nice chatting with the ones here who are actually good to talk too and can have a conversation.

They should create a smaller bronze plaque of the famous opening day photo of Yankee Stadium in 1923 and place it under the Jacob Ruppert plaque.....Yankee Stadium 1923-2008.

We wouldn't want any "Fasionable Fans" to read the plaque and have the impression that new Yankee Stadium was the "Imposing Edifice" envisioned by Ruppert.

You can't have it both ways. The Yankees decided the nostalgia and history of the famed Yankee Stadium was not worth saving....Ditto for the City.
    Technically speaking, the inscription is still true. He owned the team, and laid the foundation (AKA his vision) for the Yankee traditions that made OYS, RYS, and NYS what they are today. Without his leadership, there wouldn't be the traditions that lead to NYS.

But that's it. I'm gonna stop posting here for now. Once this board cleans up and straightens itself out, I'll come back. It was nice chatting with the ones here who are actually good to talk too and can have a conversation.
    Don't let a few trolls and bad apples spoil it for you yoda. We've lost enough good contributors to this forum.
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

Take my advice and just use the ignore function. Eventually people will grow tired of what stadium is louder, which stadium had better seats, which was the best stadium, who liked 1920's plumbing, who enjoyed sitting behind a support column, who became a Red Sox fan because of a new stadium, who is really a White Sox fan, .......

OYS/RYS are gone. They are never coming back. They followed the legendary Polo Grounds into the great ballpark in the sky.
    Don't take the bait. If you argue with an idiot, observers have a tough time telling who's who after a while ! And that includes me !!! I hope I have made several ignore lists !

Does this plaque belong in New Yankee Stadium's Monument Park?

Displaying this plaque in New Yankee Stadium should be considered misleading to the casual observer.
    It's a legitimate question. As much as I'm on record about the present facility being Fake Yankee Stadium Fail, my first response would be that the monuments and plaques are sacred and should not be altered, especially since they are artifacts from the original. The Ruppert plaque was put up in 1940, at which time Yankee Stadium was in its 18th season. I know DiMaggio's and Mantle's plaques were subsequently replaced by monuments, but that's not the same thing.

However, there is a precedent... the Hall of Fame replaced Jackie Robinson's plaque in 2008 to better reflect his impact on the game...

...whereas the original 1962 plaque...

...just concentrated on his playing career (at Robinson's request).

So if they could do it in Cooperstown, they could do it in the Bronx. (Not that I'm saying they should.)
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    It's a legitimate question. As much as I'm on record about the present facility being Fake Yankee Stadium Fail, my first response would be that the monuments and plaques are sacred and should not be altered, especially since they are artifacts from the original. The Ruppert plaque was put up in 1940, at which time Yankee Stadium was in its 18th season. I know DiMaggio's and Mantle's plaques were subsequently replaced by monuments, but that's not the same thing.

However, there is a precedent... the Hall of Fame replaced Jackie Robinson's plaque in 2008 to better reflect his impact on the game...

...whereas the original 1962 plaque...

...just concentrated on his playing career (at Robinson's request).

So if they could do it in Cooperstown, they could do it in the Bronx. (Not that I'm saying they should.)
    You know, I understand why they did it, but it still seams wrong to me that since Jackie requested they only focus on his playing carear, that they would go back and change that after he can't say anything about it. He doesn't want to be remembered for breaking the color barrier, but he certianly doesn't want people to forget that he was a great ballplayer, and not just some shmuck picked by the dodgers so they could say they were "first". I don't know, I guess it's just my feeling that you respect the wishes of the dead.

I believe the Lou Gehrig plaque says something about his record consecutive game streak is a record that will never be broken. Should they change that too? I dont believe in changing these, as history always advances and things change, but the plaques should stay in their original form in my opinion.
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Sweet! Bought Legend seats section 27A Row 3 for Saturdays game.

The new Meadowlands rocked louder for Monday's Pre-Season Jets/Giants game in comparison to Yankee Stadium during the 2009 World Series games 1 and 2.

That is one big crock of nonsense!!!
    I was there for all three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by milladrive; 08-19-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: removed profanity
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by COLTS7 View Post
    To be fair the new Meadowlands stadium holds 34,000+ more people, it should be louder.

Yeah, but Giants Stadium wasn't louder...
    Trust me on that!
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Don't let these ignorant & arrogant people stop you from posting, Yoda...
    They're just bitter.
    Last edited by milladrive; 08-19-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: removed profane acronyms

So with my recent purchase of Legend seats, how do you get to the legend seats as I understand we have our own concourse, entrance, etc.

Vendors getting screwed at New Yankee Stadium

Hi all,

Just got back from tonite's game (8/18 vs. Tigers. ) It was my second trip to the new stadium, and first trip there this year.

I attended tonite's game with a good friend of mine who was a longtime vendor (beer & hot dog guy) at Yankee Stadium, He worked his first game at the old stadium in 1995 when he was a junior in high school, and has worked there steadily ever since as a side-job.

The way it works is that those vendors with the most seniority get to work the best games (i.e. vs. Red Sox, Mets, and other "premium" games, as well as getting first dibs on playoff games. They also get their pick of what to sell (obviously you earn more selling beer and hot dogs than anything else).

They work on commission plus tips. It's a tough job lugging that stuff up & down the stairs etc for 2+ hours, esp in the summer heat.

My friend quit his vending job at YS in May 2010. Many of his long-time fellow vendors have also quit. Fact is, the vendors got royally screwed at the new park. First off, beer is now only allowed to be sold via the vednors either

1.) Until the 7th inning stretch or,

2.) Two hours from the first pitch, whichever comes first.

Tonite "last call" on beer from the vendors came at the bottom of the 5th inning, since it was a game with lots of early offense. So the "beer guys" have lost a TON of sales under the new rule. The vednors also only get to sell the crappy Coors & Bud Light/Budwesier, and not the premium stuff available inside. Bottom line is that he went from making 250-300 a game to as little as $50, and decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore. In fact, hardly any vendors were walking around anymore at all, since most of them cannot earn enough $$$ to make it worth doing.

Another thing is the new hot dog vending system. At OYS the vendors lugged the dogs in an aluminum box full of hot "dirty water," and the buns in a seperate pouch, so that at least you'd get a "hot" dog with a fresh bun. Now the dogs/buns are pre-wrapped in tin foil pouches and carried about in an insulated duffle-bag type thing. The result is that the vendor dogs are now lukewarm and soggy, and it thus makes no sense to buy off the vendors when you can get a piping hot dog from the concourse "franchise" cencessions.

According to my buddy, the NYS is purposely trying to drive out the vendors and have everyone just buy the food inside, b/c the stadium makes more $$$ off the inside sales since they don't have to pay the vendors the commission.

It's pretty funny how all the "new jobs" were supposed to be created in a poor area by this new mall-park. What a joke. The jobs working the inside stands pay min. wage and hardly anyone leaves a tip at those inside concessions. And now the decent-paying vendor jobs are being driven out on purpose.

Those colorful vendors were an essential part of the NY baseball experience, and now we're rapidly losing that "New-Yawk" flavor. In my opinion, the NYS is as empty, vapid, expensive, and all-around disappointing sports experience out there. As others have said, most people are focused on the huge Jumbo-Tron which blares idiotic cartoons and commericals incessantly. It also seems so quiet, since half the "fans" are busy in the Jim Beam bar or video arcade or other pointless rip-offs inside this souless monstrosity. The upper decks is also MILES from the field, and overall a terrible embarassment to architecture.

Unless I'm getting free tix, tonite was my last time at this place. On my way in I was reading today's paper about the death of Bobby Thomson, and wishing to God I was headed to a game at a real stadium like the old Polo Grounds. If Thomson hit that shot in one of today's mall-parks half the fans would be busy watching Super Mario Bros on the jumbo-tron or texting on their cell phones. OYS was the last of the old-school NY parks, and the new imitation makes me miss the real thing so badly I'd just as soon stay home and watch on TV. Sad, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    So with my recent purchase of Legend seats, how do you get to the legend seats as I understand we have our own concourse, entrance, etc.
    There is an entrance just by Gate 4 (handily called the 'Suite Entrance') The championship seating guys enter there to so might be a line. They give you an arm band and you can walk down into the lounge. Great score on the seats, were they stubhub? I sat in Section 27A, posted the images 2 pages back, have an awesome time man!
    Last edited by OllieNYY; 08-19-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Page 513 of 643 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515523563613 ... LastLast