Page 616 of 643 FirstFirst ... 116516566606614615616617618626 ... LastLast
Results 15,376 to 15,400 of 16054

Thread: Yankee Stadium [II]

Great work as always. Loved the photos of Jorge. He was one of my favorites and I grew up watching him come through Columbus on the way to the big club.

Anyone get spritzed in the Great Hall?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Anyone get spritzed in the Great Hall?

Yeah, I did, and I even bought a couple of bottles.. (I like the look of having a bottle of cologne with the interlocking NY on it, in my master bathroom).
    What can I say? I'm crazy about the New York Yankees!!!

PS: Smells pretty good too.
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Blog Entries
    Great pictures as always DN4L, thanks for sharing!

The Stadium needs a better beer selection. But...

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Yeah, I did, and I even bought a couple of bottles.. (I like the look of having a bottle of cologne with the interlocking NY on it, in my master bathroom).
    What can I say? I'm crazy about the New York Yankees!!!

PS: Smells pretty good too.
    Is your master bathroom made of LIMESTONE!?!

But seriously. I made my first trip of the year to Yankee Stadium, and after spending some time reading this thread, the experience was so much greater! I saw the cracks in the Gate 4 sign! I saw the massive amounts of Indiana limestone! I found all the great eats and less-than-stellar beer selection! I even bought a banana at the Famers Market!

Diving a little deeper:

-I love that Yankees tickets on the secondary market are making games affordable, and nobody is being priced out. My ticket + parking cost $15.

-Unfortunately, I found myself spending another $15 on a Meatball Parm sandwich! (which I recommend to anyone, it is amazing). I saw the steaks, and they looked good, but a Parm sandwich, fried pickles from Brother Jimmy's and a Goose Island beer (it was that or Hoegardden) ran me a cool $50. For some reason, I cant complain, because lets face it, spending US Dollars at Yankee Stadium may be the most American thing to do, ever. Oh, and everything was fantastic.

-Like i've been alluding to: THE LIMESTONE! I wish I took some pictures; it's everywhere! Outside, inside, filling the otherwise empty hallway on field level under the bleachers, and supporting my urinal! Makes you realize why the place cost 1.5B.

-Yankee Stadium II, in my opinion, is as silly and quirky as any ballpark in history. Where Tiger stadium had a unique overhand, Yankee Stadium has people eating sushi in a nice restaurant, with a nice view of the concourse:

WP_000022.jpg

Where the Polo Grounds had the historically large center field, Yankee Stadium has....more people eating sushi in the food court:

WP_000021.jpg

If that doesn't make you smile or laugh as you walk around the Stadium, you need to go home and come back in a better mood.

-SOMEONE IS USING AN IPAD IN YANKEE STADIUM!

WP_000025.jpg

(its a customer service rep, but still )

-And to all you mallpark defenders, I seriously almost asked for a shopping bag after getting my meatball sandwich, because it felt like I was in the Great Mall, not Great Hall.

Overall, a great day at a great ballpark, and a nice diversion to keep me away from an awful Devils loss and a lackluster performance by the Mets. For the first time, Yankee Stadium felt, to me, like another mammoth structure in the stable of MLB parks, rather than some holy temple to the Bombers.

and, at the end of the day, it's still Yankee Stadium: the only ballpark in America with a view of the Bronx County Courthouse.

WP_000020.jpg

(if you're still with me, I want to thank you guys on BBF for making my first two trips, and any more trips I take this year, so much more fun and enjoyable. Learning about the history and secrets and quirks about the parks make them that much more exciting to explore, and make me want to explore so much more. I spent a lot of time on my lap around the field level taking pictures and crafting this post. We are nerds. )

Quote Originally Posted by Jgweiss View Post
    Seeing this photo with the Blue tarp reminded me of Opening Day 2010.

I had tickets in the Budweiser Suite and entered the Stadium just in time for the ring ceremony.

I was watching the ring ceremony from the main concourse in the vicinity of Home Plate and security had sliding curtains preventing fans from seeing the field from the open concourse. Is this general practice?
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

I had tickets in the Budweiser Suite and entered the Stadium just in time for the ring ceremony.

I was watching the ring ceremony from the main concourse in the vicinity of Home Plate and security had sliding curtains preventing fans from seeing the field from the open concourse. Is this general practice?

No, it's not.

Last edited by DN4L; 04-18-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

No, it's not.
    Except for the one section directly behind home plate, between 120A and 120B. The curtains are always there.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Except for the one section directly behind home plate, between 120A and 120B. The curtains are always there.

Oooooooooooooh..
    Such a travesty!!!!!

Oooooooooooooh..
    Such a travesty!!!!!
    How so?..........
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

How so?..........

It's called "Sarcasm". It's not a travesty at all!
    Especially when you compare it to seeing the field level at Citi Field behind home plate...
    You can't all, because it's completely closed in!

Is your master bathroom made of LIMESTONE!?!

But seriously. I made my first trip of the year to Yankee Stadium, and after spending some time reading this thread, the experience was so much greater! I saw the cracks in the Gate 4 sign! I saw the massive amounts of Indiana limestone! I found all the great eats and less-than-stellar beer selection! I even bought a banana at the Famers Market!

Diving a little deeper:

-I love that Yankees tickets on the secondary market are making games affordable, and nobody is being priced out. My ticket + parking cost $15.

-Like i've been alluding to: THE LIMESTONE! I wish I took some pictures; it's everywhere! Outside, inside, filling the otherwise empty hallway on field level under the bleachers, and supporting my urinal! Makes you realize why the place cost 1.5B.

-Yankee Stadium II, in my opinion, is as silly and quirky as any ballpark in history. Where Tiger stadium had a unique overhand, Yankee Stadium has people eating sushi in a nice restaurant, with a nice view of the concourse:

Where the Polo Grounds had the historically large center field, Yankee Stadium has....more people eating sushi in the food court:

If that doesn't make you smile or laugh as you walk around the Stadium, you need to go home and come back in a better mood.

-SOMEONE IS USING AN IPAD IN YANKEE STADIUM!

-And to all you mallpark defenders, I seriously almost asked for a shopping bag after getting my meatball sandwich, because it felt like I was in the Great Mall, not Great Hall.

Overall, a great day at a great ballpark, and a nice diversion to keep me away from an awful Devils loss and a lackluster performance by the Mets. For the first time, Yankee Stadium felt, to me, like another mammoth structure in the stable of MLB parks, rather than some holy temple to the Bombers.
    What's great about your post is those who praise to heaven this painfully flawed taxpayer funded handout would be the same ones who endlessly rip the exact same people who brought us (via the taxpayers as always) the renovated Yankee Stadium.

So let's give full credit to where it's due for those who brought us the last two Yankee Stadium designs.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy
    Boss stays home from Cathedral

"As could be expected, he's been very emotional," Steinbrenner said of his father. "It's been 35 years. He was a big part of getting the renovation done.

Steinbrenner was instrumental in ordering the 1974-75 overhaul that provided the Stadium with the current layout and structure. The $1.3 billion building rising quickly across 161st Street is, largely, a major piece of Steinbrenner's vision and stewardship at the helm of the franchise.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-18-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Deadspin is considered a professional media website for those wondering.

http://deadspin.com/5393033/why-your...yankee-stadium
    Why Your Stadium Sucks: Yankee Stadium

People who contributed:
    Neil deMause, Field of Schemes co-author and blogger:
    John Pastier, architecture critic:
    Martin Pedersen, executive editor, Metropolis Magazine:
    David Gratt, former season ticket holder (sec 37 Row C seat 1) and former director, Friends of Yankee Stadium:
    Lukas Herbert, urban planner and former member of New York City's Community Board 4:
    Joyce Hogi, Bronx resident and 2nd vice president of the Bronx Council of Environmental Quality:
    Killian Jordan, Yankees fan and Bronx resident:
    The view from the stands (everything sic'd):

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    Deadspin is considered a professional media website for those wondering.

http://deadspin.com/5393033/why-your...yankee-stadium
    Why Your Stadium Sucks: Yankee Stadium

People who contributed:
    Neil deMause, Field of Schemes co-author and blogger:
    John Pastier, architecture critic:
    Martin Pedersen, executive editor, Metropolis Magazine:
    David Gratt, former season ticket holder (sec 37 Row C seat 1) and former director, Friends of Yankee Stadium:
    Lukas Herbert, urban planner and former member of New York City's Community Board 4:
    Joyce Hogi, Bronx resident and 2nd vice president of the Bronx Council of Environmental Quality:
    Killian Jordan, Yankees fan and Bronx resident:
    The view from the stands (everything sic'd):
    If you are trying to point out that a respected site like Deadspin is singling out Yankee Stadium, it's not true. Why Your Stadium Sucks was a running series, and covered a good number of ballparks. Also, they love stirring the s*** with posts like this.

While their anecdotes are valid, they aren't singling out the stadium. The point of the series is to showcase that, for what they're worth, every ballpark sucks for one reason or another.

If you are trying to point out that a respected site like Deadspin is singling out Yankee Stadium, it's not true. Why Your Stadium Sucks was a running series, and covered a good number of ballparks. Also, they love stirring the s*** with posts like this.

While their anecdotes are valid, they aren't singling out the stadium. The point of the series is to showcase that, for what they're worth, every ballpark sucks for one reason or another.
    Granted Deadspin links stirring the pot, and you are correct their series was to single out several ballparks.

The people on the list who are quoted would also be centric to this topic of why in this part of their feature Yankee Stadium sucks (Deadspin's title)

Your other post was very funny, well done.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-18-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    What's great about your post is those who praise to heaven this painfully flawed taxpayer funded handout would be the same ones who endlessly rip the exact same people who brought us (via the taxpayers as always) the renovated Yankee Stadium.

The first one was a "complete and total DISASTER"..
    The second one was a "complete and total SUCCESS"!!!!

That was done after the fielders complained after the exhibition games that they were having a hard time picking up the ball off the bat. I think they installed it while the yanks opened the season on the road in '09. The curtain stays opened before and after the game. It was also opened for the two football games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    That was done after the fielders complained after the exhibition games that they were having a hard time picking up the ball off the bat. I think they installed it while the yanks opened the season on the road in '09. The curtain stays opened before and after the game. It was also opened for the two football games this year.

Don't even try to reason with the "self proclaimed" voice of reason..
    There's no "reason" to waste your time and energy..

Don't even try to reason with the "self proclaimed" voice of reason..
    There's no "reason" to waste your time and energy..
    Well, if that's how you feel, then I'm sure you won't find any "reason" to waste your time and energy looking at the photos I took at Fake Yankee Stadium Fail during Tuesday night's game... so you can just skip the next few posts... everyone else, sit back and enjoy...
    X

Yankee Stadium, April 17, 2012

For the first time since 2009, I attended a game at the fake Yankee Stadium. I didn't plan to go back for a long time, if at all... but as they say, life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. So let's begin.

Actually, let's begin with the fact that even though the new stadium is entering its fourth year of service, the Neighborhood Map in the 161st Street subway station still has not been updated to reflect changes. Not only is the original Macombs Dam Park still there, not only does 162nd Street still run from Jerome Avenue to River Avenue, but the Bronx House of Detention is still shown on the spot where the Gateway Plaza shopping area is...

Wanna grab a bite to eat before the game? If you can't afford NYY Steak or Hard Rock Cafe, there's always the Halal Food cart across the street...

Of course, if you can afford NYY Steak or Hard Rock Cafe, you can also afford the $35 for parking...

The sign maker at Jerome and 162nd, across from Gate 2, has moved...

The 1001 Jerome Avenue apartment building is directly across the street from the Gate 2 entry... if you're crazy about the Yankees, there's no other place where you'd want to live... you're across from the entrance to the ballpark, across from the entrance to the Yankee offices, and you're even across from the entrance to the players' garage! And not only that, but when the game ends you get to look out your window and watch all of the fans who have to make long treks back to the suburbs - Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, and points beyond - while you get to do the Superior Dance because you're already home...

The Yankees are very big on rules and regulations... they flash a laundry list of them on the big scoreboard before the game... this is just one page of 'em, they've got more... lots more...

One thing I noticed right away was that all of the spaces in back of the wheelchair seating areas have been replaced with "reserved" spaces...

The "Bleacher Creatures" doing their thing in the top of the 1st inning...

The very top of the left field corner in the upper deck... that's section 434B, row 14, seat 40...

Here’s the view from the very top of the left field corner in the upper deck (section 434B, row 14, seat 40)... note how the fence obstructs your view of the entire outfield...

More to come...
    X

Yankee Stadium, April 17, 2012 - continued

Andruw Jones bats in the bottom of the 1st inning... this is a 12x optical zoom close-up from the very top of the left field corner in the upper deck (section 434B, row 14, seat 40)...

I do like how the at-bat graphics use NYC Subway design elements to convey information...

I was surprised by this roped-off area of tables directly behind home plate, outside the Jim Beam Suite Lounge... I presume this is part of the Jim Beam Suite...

Here’s the roof above the "Great Hall," as seen from the Malibu Rooftop Deck above Gate 6 (right field)...

This obstructed view from the Bleachers was taken while I was standing behind section 203, row 24, seats 16 and 17... you can't see left field, but you've got a great view of the "Mohegan Sun Sports Bar" sign...

This is an actual photo of the turning point of the game - Chris Stewart has just hit a 2-RBI single in the bottom of the 3rd inning to give the Yankees a lead they would never relinquish...

This “Beers of the World” stand is located in the Bleachers...

In the public tunnel underneath the bleachers, the heavily guarded entrance to the Mohegan Sun Sports Bar...

Police officers and “Yankee Stadium Team Members,” as they call them, have just taken down a fan who ran on the field in the top of the 5th inning... "Entering the playing field, disrupting a game and/or attempting any physical contact with a sports or event participant is a crime punishable by fine and/or imprisonment as well as a civil penalty of up to $25,000" - Yankee Stadium Guest Code of Conduct...

Concession prices at the "Fried Dough" stand in the food court... among the culinary delights available here are Fried Oreos, Fried Twinkie, and Fried Hershey's Chocolate, as well as something called a “Yankee Doughnut Burger...”

More to come...
    X

Yankee Stadium, April 17, 2012 - continued

This view shows how far back fans who want to watch the game from the concourse have to stand now that the space behind wheelchair sections has been converted into "reserved" seating...

Here’s a zoom-lens view looking straight down the right field wall...

This is the view from the top of the aisle between sections 108 and 107...

It's now the the top of the 8th inning... there are plenty of empty seats in sections 107 and 108... but the "Yankee Stadium Team Members" still won't let you in without a ticket (when I politely asked the "team member" to move so I could get the previous photo, the first thing he said to me was "you can't go down"... your typical fan-friendly "Yankee Stadium Team Member" response)...

In the top of the 9th, Minnesota's Trevor Plouffe has just struck out swinging for the final out of the game, giving the Yankees the win - put it in the books...

Be wary if you’re offered a seat in section 132, seat 1... the row doesn’t matter... every seat #1 in section 132 looks directly at the left field foul pole...

Now for a bite to eat... but don’t worry if you can't afford post-game dining at NYY Steak or Hard Rock Cafe, there's always the hot dog cart across the street...

Of course, if you can afford to eat at NYY Steak or Hard Rock Cafe, you might find it advantageous to avail yourself of “wealth management" services... funny thing about that ad is that some might see it as proof that only the rich can afford to go to games at Yankee Stadium...

Wonder if the people who live in the buildings that can be seen from within Yankee Stadium have the kind of wealth that would necessitate their needing to hire someone to help them manage it...

It may not be fun to worry about whether or not you have enough wealth to manage... but it is fun to do the YMCA dance...

And there you have it... you can see all 111 photos on Flickr, properly annotated, by clicking here.
    X

I love great pictures and even better a true story with the pics to start the day.

We needed more pics of every rule and regulation...
    Last edited by WEB; 04-19-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Yeah great pics by Gary (as usual, since he's NY's top baseball stadium photog) - and also a great post by Jgweiss - tongue in speech and hilarious!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

great photos, but are the sarcastic comments necessary? All you are doing is revving up your follow posters.

Page 616 of 643 FirstFirst ... 116516566606614615616617618626 ... LastLast