X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterrod16
    • May 2008

Yankees want us to pay for fancy johns

Less than three years after they got $942 million in tax-free bonds for a new Bronx stadium, the Yankees are at the public trough again.

With our city facing the worst financial crisis since the Depression, and more than 200,000 people expected to lose their jobs by the end of the year, baseball's richest team wants another $260 million in tax-free bonds to help cover a stadium cost overrun of $370 million.

Even worse, the city's Industrial Development Agency, which Mayor Bloomberg controls, is set to approve the bonds next week.

The itemized list of extra stadium costs that city officials released this week is truly astounding.

There's $137million to pay for concessions at the new stadium - including a swank new Yankees Steakhouse, a Hard Rock Cafe, a museum and a conference center. The Yankees added most of those items to the stadium budget after the city approved the original financing plan.

Other enhancements include:

- $14.2 million for various scoreboard changes.

- $5 million for fancy public- bathroom improvements, including "burnished and glazed block" and "solid surface countertops."

- $10.5 million for new "suite level upgrades."

- $10.7 million for a huge new "video board."

- $8.7 million for the team's administrative offices.

The financial details that the team submitted list such a complicated split between public and private funding for those costs that it's almost impossible to separate them.

"This is bizarre," said Assemblyman Richard Brodsky (D-Westchester), a longtime critic of the stadium deal. "We don't have enough money for our schools or the subways, yet they want to give the Yankees money for a steakhouse and granite ramps?"

Brodsky joined Assemblyman Jim Brennan (D-Brooklyn) to call an emergency public hearing for Wednesday to review the Yankees' new request.

Team officials, it seems, are sparing no expense to make this the most luxurious, high-tech structure ever imagined. They have a perfect right to splurge in any way they wish - with their own money. When they're getting a tax break, it's another matter.

This is a team, after all, that just doled out $435 million to sign three ballplayers, Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett.

All you have to do is look at what the Mets are doing with their new stadium in Queens to see the outlandishness of the Yankee request.

Yes, the Mets also want some $80million in additional funding for their new Citi Field, but there are some big differences.

The City Council authorized the Mets to use that money, but the team never borrowed the full amount. The cost of Citi Field, including parking facilities, has increased by only about 15% above original projections - to a total of $700million.

Yankee Stadium, on the other hand, has zoomed from an original price tag of $800 million in 2005 to $1.3 billion today.

And that's not counting the Yankee parking garages, which are being built by a separate nonprofit. They also have jumped in price to more than $340million.

The Mets are in the same town and are using the same unionized labor force. Yet Yankee Stadium will end up costing about twice as much as Citi Field.

The Mets long ago reached a deal with the city for a split of revenues from the sale of memorabilia from publicly owned Shea Stadium.

The Yankees are still bickering over how much money they will get from souvenir sales from the old Yankee Stadium. They have plans to make a financial killing on everything from stadium seats to infield dirt to pieces of stadium facade.

No matter how you slice it, the Yankees have shown themselves to be more greedy, more arrogant and more wasteful than the Mets.

They do not need, nor do they deserve, more subsidies.

Bloomberg keeps telling ordinary New Yorkers we need to tighten our belts in hard times. He needs to tell it to the Yankees.

Comment

• GordonGecko
      On the Inside
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by peterrod16 View Post
      http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ncy_johns.html

Less than three years after they got $942 million in tax-free bonds for a new Bronx stadium, the Yankees are at the public trough again.

With our city facing the worst financial crisis since the Depression, and more than 200,000 people expected to lose their jobs by the end of the year, baseball's richest team wants another $260 million in tax-free bonds to help cover a stadium cost overrun of $370 million.

Even worse, the city's Industrial Development Agency, which Mayor Bloomberg controls, is set to approve the bonds next week.

The itemized list of extra stadium costs that city officials released this week is truly astounding.
      Sensationalist junk news reporting. The Yankees pay for the Bonds, not the city. They write anything to sell a paper

Comment

• GordonGecko
        On the Inside
        • Feb 2008

Yankees having problems selling their expensive seats:

The Yankees have hired a division of a prominent Manhattan residential real estate brokerage, Prudential Douglas Elliman, to help sell some of their prime real estate: unsold premium seats and luxury boxes at the new Yankee Stadium.
        The Yankees have hired a division of a residential real estate brokerage, Prudential Douglas Elliman, to help sell unsold premium seats and luxury boxes at their new stadium.

Comment

• hitman23
          Team Veteran
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
          Yankees having problems selling their expensive seats:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/sp...kets.html?_r=2

Uh oh....
          I hope they don't raise our Grandstand MVP ticket prices, to make up for the unsold muckity muck seats....:nosleep:

Comment

• stadiumbuilder
            • Feb 2008

When somebody needs to sell something and can't move it they usually lower the price, but if the Yankees do that now the parties that have already paid up are going to want a rebate. Sounds like maybe there's going to be some deflation in the luxury baseball fan market.

Comment

• YankeeFanBx
              • Mar 2008

For the prices of some of these seats , the Yankees would have had problems selling them in the best of times. Anything over 200 bucks is nutts!
              $2,500 for a seat to a ballgame is outrages.
              :gt:gt

Comment

• locke40
                I ♥ Support Columns
                • Dec 2007

I think the Yankees are starting to realize they made a big mistake building this new stadium. What a shame; all that history lost forever, millions of fans left out in the cold, and the money isn't even coming in like they planned. I wonder what people 100 years from now will be saying about this era in Yankees history.
                sigpic

Comment

• stadiumbuilder
                  • Feb 2008

That it was a very expensive era to be a Yankee fan. Someday, maybe soon, the financial structure of this sport is going to get a nasty dose of reality. I can afford to pay 8.50 for a lousy light beer and 5.00 for a hot dog on occasion, but I won't. When I take the kids we eat before, we eat after, but I would feel like a sucker if I let myself get gouged like that. I don't think they regret building the stadium, but they may end up regretting some of the player contracts they've handed out.

Comment

• GordonGecko
                    On the Inside
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by YankeeFanBx View Post
                    For the prices of some of these seats , the Yankees would have had problems selling them in the best of times. Anything over 200 bucks is nutts!
                    $2,500 for a seat to a ballgame is outrages.
                    The $2500 seats were sold out a long time ago. It's the $850 and $325 seats the Yankees have a problem with

Comment

• dragonyankee
                      • Dec 2008

Yankee pricing my take

I guess I am in the minority, but I honestly don't feel that the Yankees pricing is so crazy. I was able to get season tickets just 7 rows from the field in section 109 for $100 each. Paying $200 a game for two seats in a brand new, state of the art facility, 7 rows from the field with the aisle, seems very reasonable to me.

The $2500 pricing that people keep referring to is for a very limited amount of seats. The legends section is mostly $500 tickets but that does come with a ton of amenities including private entrance, private luxury bars and dining located just steps away from there seats, parking, and the best seats in the house.

There are 22 million people in the tri state area. There are literally thousands of wealthy business owners and employees that live locally. The Yankees only need a few hundred customers that can afford paying for the legends seats, the suites, and all the luxury that comes with it. They are not asking the average fan to pay $500, $750, $2500, $500,000, etc. They are asking the multimillionaire business owners, celebrities, etc. The majority of the 54K plus seats in stadium are being sold are reasonable prices for the average fan.

Personally I can't wait until opening day to enjoy the benefits of a beautiful New Yankee Stadium!

Comment

• SparkyL
                        • Apr 2007

"At the Yankees’ 52,325-seat stadium, the team has sold 24,564 full season-ticket packages, up from 19,400 last year. By combining full and partial packages, the team said it has sold the equivalent of 39,393 full season tickets."

The Yankees have hired a division of a residential real estate brokerage, Prudential Douglas Elliman, to help sell unsold premium seats and luxury boxes at their new stadium.

Since the relo for partials has not started yet, and therefore none of these accounts have purchased anything - how could they make this claim? Unless they are estimating renewals.

Comment

• hitman23
                          Team Veteran
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                          "At the Yankees’ 52,325-seat stadium, the team has sold 24,564 full season-ticket packages, up from 19,400 last year. By combining full and partial packages, the team said it has sold the equivalent of 39,393 full season tickets."

Since the relo for partials has not started yet, and therefore none of these accounts have purchased anything - how could they make this claim? Unless they are estimating renewals.

Good point...
                          Unless they count somebody like me as an old "partial", who upgraded to a FS..

Comment

• SparkyL
                            • Apr 2007

Let's get a move on!

Man, the Yankees are really milking waiting for more season ticket upgrades . . . it's been several weeks since the Full STH pool ended . . . come on already!

Comment

• GordonGecko
                              On the Inside
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                              Man, the Yankees are really milking waiting for more season ticket upgrades . . . it's been several weeks since the Full STH pool ended . . . come on already!
                              Supposedly the 41-game assignments are starting this upcoming week

Comment

• peterrod16
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                                Supposedly the 41-game assignments are starting this upcoming week
                                Gordon is there a chance the yankees will sell out every home game this year?
                                We know over 39,000 tickets are sold for Full STH& partial plans leaving 12,000 tickets left.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X