Page 106 of 811 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206606 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 16207

Thread: Yankee Stadium [II]

Were you guys alive during the 80s when all those Yankee fans got so disgusted with Steinbrenner they became Met fans? If the Yankees don't win a world series to justify these prices it could happen again.

No it cant.

Ahem... sorry to interrupt this incredibly interesting and incredibly OT conversation, but here are a few nice pics of Monument Park in all its "dungeon-esque" glory. Credit, ADMorales1, flickr.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/admorales/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by scooterfan View Post
    Don't you guys get it? The Yankees are supposed to be competitive. Have you seen their payroll? Come on. The Yankee franchise took off in the early 90s when baseball games moved from free tv to pay tv and this upset the balance of power because the Yankees could charge MSG a helluva lot more money than the Tigers or Pirates could charge their local cable sports network. There are 15 major league cities every year that have no chance to be in the playoffs because the tv money is so low in these smaller metro areas.

The Mets should be in the playoffs every year and the Dodgers too because they're in big markets. Yet they're not. But the Red Sox are. So I have respect for what they've accomplished. Incidentally, Mike Francesa says the exact same thing about the CC/Santana comparision, gonna call him a Met or Red Sox fan? And unlike me who hates the new stadium, he has no axe to grind because he likes it.

Face it fellas, major league baseball is becoming a joke. If football and basketball operated the way major league baseball does the Spurs and the Packers would never be in competition. I'm surprised baseball fans in Pittsburgh and Kansas City put up with this. Then again nobody attends games in their ballparks so I guess they're not.
    Your Boston Red Sox are suddenly a small market team? You're losing all credibility with each post. Memo to jerryremyfan/garycohenfan, I mean scooterfan: The Sox have had either the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll (this year the Mets are #2) and had the largest payroll of ANY World Series winner, AND the largest disparity in payroll (against the Cards THEN the lowly Rockies) in Major League history. Talk about HUGE, unfair advantages!
    Last edited by Rob R; 04-12-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by 80SHOCK View Post
    23y/o 2009: 150 innings 24 y/o 2010: 180 innings 25 y/o 2011: 200+ innings.

You do not let a young pitcher who's NEVER thrown close to 200 innings in his life without building up his arm.
    This is what happens with young pitching prospects. Before they're ML ready they're building up their innings in the minors.

By 2011 when Joba is 25 (still very young) you will have a number 1 type of starter that is ready to throw 200+ innings.
    Exactly. Increasing a young pitcher's inning count by more than 30 innings a season has been proven to have detrimental effects on the arm.

I can't stand when people call this "babying" a pitcher, and say that it's not how it was done in the old days. That's because they didn't recognize these things back then. And because of that, there were a ton of blown out young arms that are now staying healthy thanks to this supposed "babying."

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I guess I have another candidate on my ignore list.
    Not just a candidate, elected. I suspect yours and mine are pretty similar.

Anyone see Ralf around?

Were you guys alive during the 80s when all those Yankee fans got so disgusted with Steinbrenner they became Met fans? If the Yankees don't win a world series to justify these prices it could happen again.
    Dude, I was a Yankee fan all through the 80's and I never cheered for the mets once!!!!!

And monument park looks great!! the flowers look beautiful. It doesn't look like a dungeon to me!!!!!
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

Don't you guys get it? The Yankees are supposed to be competitive. Have you seen their payroll? Come on. The Yankee franchise took off in the early 90s when baseball games moved from free tv to pay tv and this upset the balance of power because the Yankees could charge MSG a helluva lot more money than the Tigers or Pirates could charge their local cable sports network. There are 15 major league cities every year that have no chance to be in the playoffs because the tv money is so low in these smaller metro areas.

The Mets should be in the playoffs every year and the Dodgers too because they're in big markets. Yet they're not. But the Red Sox are. So I have respect for what they've accomplished. Incidentally, Mike Francesa says the exact same thing about the CC/Santana comparision, gonna call him a Met or Red Sox fan? And unlike me who hates the new stadium, he has no axe to grind because he likes it.

Face it fellas, major league baseball is becoming a joke. If football and basketball operated the way major league baseball does the Spurs and the Packers would never be in competition. I'm surprised baseball fans in Pittsburgh and Kansas City put up with this. Then again nobody attends games in their ballparks so I guess they're not.
    Money doesn't mean shi*t in baseball. Sure if you have some more money you can sign the big names. But you have the farm system that kills free agency. The Rays proved if you have a fully loaded farm system and develop your players properly you can go to the World series. The Marlins even proved you can have the lowest payroll and beat the highest payroll in the World Series. Also the Pirates have terrible ownership that would rather pocket luxury tax money then keep some of its own players.
    Born, raise and living in Flushing since 93.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcianoNY View Post
    Ahem... sorry to interrupt this incredibly interesting and incredibly OT conversation, but here are a few nice pics of Monument Park in all its "dungeon-esque" glory. Credit, ADMorales1, flickr.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/admorales/
    MP looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by atdy17 View Post
    Money doesn't mean shi*t in baseball. Sure if you have some more money you can sign the big names. But you have the farm system that kills free agency. The Rays proved if you have a fully loaded farm system and develop your players properly you can go to the World series. The Marlins even proved you can have the lowest payroll and beat the highest payroll in the World Series. Also the Pirates have terrible ownership that would rather pocket luxury tax money then keep some of its own players.
    atdy, unlike you, a good Mets fan and good poster, scooter is just looking to rile up Yanks fans. He can play all he wants but he should know that he's unusually transparent.

I was lumping the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Mets together. These 4 teams SHOULD win because they have the greatest resources. Oakland has been very competitive since 2000 with no money. Imagine if they had the deep pockets of these 4 teams?

As for financial disparity, how bout the 1998 San Diego Padres and the 2003 Marlins?

Dude, I was a Yankee fan all through the 80's and I never cheered for the mets once!!!!!

And monument park looks great!! the flowers look beautiful. It doesn't look like a dungeon to me!!!!!
    Don't they ever come up with anything original? Same old tired bashing of Yankee fans.

That the Yankees have fans all over the world is a testament to their greatness. But don't some of these trolls know that the majority of Yankees fans had fathers and grandfathers that rooted for the Yanks, and that our children will probably do likewise? Of course they know that. What they pretend didn't exist is the crowds of 6,000 at Shea (hmmm..were they at Yankee Stadium?), when you could choose just about any seat you wanted and the scattered, quiet crowds at Fenway when the Sox were an afterthought, even to Yankee fans.

Even though I hate the Cf restaurant. The views look amazing.

Born, raise and living in Flushing since 93.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/admorales/3432719253/

Is this wishful thinking or do I not see a net there?

No b/c you can see it here...and see it has not moved.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballman1243 View Post
    That was taken on April 1st, though. The picture I posted was taken on April 10th.
    Last edited by Yankees12; 04-12-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballman1243 View Post
    That picture was uploaded April 1st, all the other pictures are from April 11th.

If you guys are talking about the net over Monument park that is there only for batting practice so fans who are walking around MP before a game don't get beaned with a ball. at the game that I went to on Friday, the grounds crew took down the net after batting practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

If you guys are talking about the net over Monument park that is there only for batting practice so fans who are walking around MP before a game don't get beaned with a ball. at the game that I went to on Friday, the grounds crew took down the net after batting practice.
    No, I'm talking about the behind-the-plate net. If it's there, it certainly blends in in that 4/10 picture.

Page 106 of 811 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206606 ... LastLast