Page 15 of 811 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [II]

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
    Ah, the joys of the smaller stadium. More pressure on ticket holders to buy season ticket plans, or else wait for the scraps or individual tix by resale.

I wonder if this is the first season in over twenty years that this out-of-towner will not attend a game because I will be sold out or priced out the few reasonable dates that I could go.
    Oh man, Im bored and today is like a feast....

This is Gordons domain, so Ill allow him to explain to you why its not the Yankees(wow, feels strange saying that) responsibility to ensure readily available tickets to out-of-towners looking for face value tickets to the precise game(s) they will be in NYC for...

I generally agree with your arguments, and I am more or less in agreement here. But I think that you are too quick to elide "most loyal fans" with "fans who can afford it."

Every year I make a very long trek at great personal expense (in terms of time and money) to visit Yankee Stadium. No matter where I have lived I manage to squeeze in a game or two. I think that I am pretty damn loyal. But I also have limited financial means. If I am priced out it is because of my economic limits, not lack of loyalty.

If that's the way it is, so be. I understand the economics of the situation. But I am not convinced that season ticket holders are necessarily the most loyal fans in all case.
    Sigh...this is all completely subjective nonsense...

The point is it doesnt matter whos 'loyal' or a 'real fan'...again, subjective BS....what matters is who are the best customers. Period...ANYONE can say how devout they are, or how badly they want something. Thats why we have MARKETS....they tend to cut through who wants things from who can actually pay for them...

When you open a business you can make sure to take care of all the 'real fans' first before dealing with profits. 1st just tell me how, and a fair way to administer that cause otherwise $ talks, and BS walks(Man, I hate that expression)...

I know you all HATE hearing this, but 'loyalty' doesnt pay for a damn thing...$ does...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltzy23 View Post
    Oh man, Im bored and today is like a feast....

This is Gordons domain, so Ill allow him to explain to you why its not the Yankees(wow, feels strange saying that) responsibility to ensure readily available tickets to out-of-towners looking for face value tickets to the precise game(s) they will be in NYC for...
    I never said it was...read my subsequent post. I do not feel it is my right to attend games in person, nor is it my right to purchase tix at X or Y price. Indeed, the YAnkees may build a stadium that holds 10,000 seats and chage a million dollars per seat per game, and I would completely understand the economic motives behind it. If they can pull it off, so be it.

That still does not change the reality that by building a smaller stadium at the same time they have massive demand will change the experience of attending (or not attending) games for some segments of the fan base.

I am being priced out in this current scheme. I don't have to like it, even if I believe (as I do) that it is well within the Yankees' prerogative to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltzy23 View Post
    Sigh...this is all completely subjective nonsense...

The point is it doesnt matter whos 'loyal' or a 'real fan'...again, subjective BS....what matters is who are the best customers. Period...ANYONE can say how devout they are, or how badly they want something. Thats why we have MARKETS....they tend to cut through who wants things from who can actually pay for them...

When you open a business you can make sure to take care of all the 'real fans' first before dealing with profits. 1st just tell me how, and a fair way to administer that cause otherwise $ talks, and BS walks(Man, I hate that expression)...

I know you all HATE hearing this, but 'loyalty' doesnt pay for a damn thing...$ does...
    I agree with you again. I was merely commenting on Gordon's (mis)use of the term "loyal fans."

He (and the rest of us) should just drop all pretense of loyalty.

I generally agree with your arguments, and I am more or less in agreement here. But I think that you are too quick to elide "most loyal fans" with "fans who can afford it."

Every year I make a very long trek at great personal expense (in terms of time and money) to visit Yankee Stadium. No matter where I have lived I manage to squeeze in a game or two. I think that I am pretty damn loyal. But I also have limited financial means. If I am priced out it is because of my economic limits, not lack of loyalty.

If that's the way it is, so be. I understand the economics of the situation. But I am not convinced that season ticket holders are necessarily the most loyal fans in all case.
    That's a good point, and I agree completely that those who can afford season tickets are not necessarily the most loyal. This is a side-effect of capitalism but on the whole I think we are better off. I think you'll be surprised at how many tickets will be flooding the secondary market this year, you should be able to pick up affordable seats easily, the difference will be that you won't be buying directly from the Yankees. I'll be selling most of my games (non-premium) at face value if anyone is interested

I agree with you again. I was merely commenting on Gordon's (mis)use of the term "loyal fans."

He (and the rest of us) should just drop all pretense of loyalty.
    Again....I apolgize....Im seriously forgetting some people are capable of intelligent debate after having this conversation with the Anti-Citi Field people the last few months...

Sorry for snapping my man...

...and you ACTUALLY see this in a realistic light...Im SO upset I lurched at you...

EXACTLY...If they want to have 1 seat and charge $100,000,000 its THIER right to see who is the 'most loyal fan'....people equate the investment in their hearts with that of their wallet. 'Loyalty' is whos willing to cut the check every year(at least in terms of ticket sales)....THANK YOU for seeing the facts here...(and I agree its not great for the 'once in a while fan'...the issue is(at least for the Mets) is that there just werent enough on a day in/day out basis....they HAD to eliminate seats...
    Last edited by Saltzy23; 12-29-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    That's a good point, and I agree completely that those who can afford season tickets are not necessarily the most loyal. This is a side-effect of capitalism but on the whole I think we are better off. I think you'll be surprised at how many tickets will be flooding the secondary market this year, you should be able to pick up affordable seats easily, the difference will be that you won't be buying directly from the Yankees. I'll be selling most of my games (non-premium) at face value if anyone is interested
    Hey, I'm no anti-capitalist!

I do hope that I can score some tix for this season. When I lived in Ohio I used to try to go to the Jake, but when the Indians started selling out all the time I gave up--it was just too much of a hassle.

Then again, I didn't try that hard because it was, well, the Indians!

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I wonder how many full season ticket holders actually go to most of the games anymore. Or can even afford them without selling most of them. And that's before we even talk about the corporate STH.

With MLB embracing StubHub and the secondary market in general, it looks like teams no longer really have a reason to even think about the casual (and very loyal) fan, since this group is now served thru the secondary market.

But I also wonder when the secondary market will get so saturated that most tickets will be selling below face value.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
    I wonder how many full season ticket holders actually go to most of the games anymore. Or can even afford them without selling most of them. And that's before we even talk about the corporate STH.

With MLB embracing StubHub and the secondary market in general, it looks like teams no longer really have a reason to even think about the casual (and very loyal) fan, since this group is now served thru the secondary market.

But I also wonder when the secondary market will get so saturated that most tickets will be selling below face value.
    Assuming that more and more people are buying ST just to "get in," at what point does the downward pressure on secondary prices make even that approach unaffordable to the non-corporate STH?

Also - if you really think about it, the Yankees are now ticket wholesalers and all of the people with the ST plans are the retailers . . . and Stubhub is the new distribution system.

For me the purpose of getting a partial plan in 1997 was:
    1) Playoff tickets - 1 game in each round (which is fine for me)
    2) Resturaunt option
    3) Same seat location
    4) Having tickets to "just" 13 games gave me a reason to get off my lazy butt and go to a game.

Now that #1 is just a presale, #2 may not happen and #3 may suck - the reasons I bought a package are greatly diminished.

With my son starting college this past fall I really can't afford to buy a larger plan and then go into the retail ticket business - especially if I risk selling at a loss (not to mention that StubHub fees are not cheap and that cost must be covered as well).

Sorry for being lazy..

But are the Saturday Plans available for purchase yet?? I am unable to locate any of my emails from the yanks..

Quote Originally Posted by headshoes View Post
    Sorry for being lazy..

But are the Saturday Plans available for purchase yet?? I am unable to locate any of my emails from the yanks..
    not even close, the 41 game plans havent even started yet.

I actually found the picture I was thinking of - this is around section 412 - at this point there are 24 seats . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

this mightve been asked already but when do individual games go on sale? late feb?

From the seating chart they send with your invoice:
    Sec 420B
    Row 1 = 27 seats
    Rows 2-3 = 23 seats
    Rows 4-6 = 24 seats
    Rows 7-9 = 30 seats
    Rows 10-11 = 31 seats
    rows 12-13 = 32 seats
    Row 14 = 35 seats

Probably a few more seats in this section because it's located on the "curve" so the higher you go, the more room for seats you have. Row 14 (which is not installed yet in this picture) is so large because there is no need for an aisle since its the last row. Last row was like this at the old stadium also.

They only sent you a seating map with the original season assignment for existing full season ticket holders and A-plan holders. If you upgraded or were seated through the pool you did not get a map of every seat in your section

Status update

"We have contacted all existing Ticket Licensees that participated in the Full Season Pool Process."

What do you guys think of the plexiglass in front of the upper level as opposed to a railing? As a Mets season ticket holder in row 1 of the Citi Field Upper level I'm happy that the Mets decided on a railing over the plexi. I think that I'd prefer a small obstruction from a railing over having to watch the entire field through glass. I also like that I can lean forward on the rail, as long as it doesn't turn out to be higher than what I'm expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by tomzpc View Post
    What do you guys think of the plexiglass in front of the upper level as opposed to a railing? As a Mets season ticket holder in row 1 of the Citi Field Upper level I'm happy that the Mets decided on a railing over the plexi. I think that I'd prefer a small obstruction from a railing over having to watch the entire field through glass. I also like that I can lean forward on the rail, as long as it doesn't turn out to be higher than what I'm expecting.
    Depends are where "eye level" is for you. At RYS, the metal railing was right at eye level for an average height person in the front row of the upper deck and Loge levels. Even though it blocked out about 10% of the total view, the fact that it was at eye level in line with home plate made it seam like 90%. So in that case - I vote for glass.

Looking at pictures the real thing is a lot less noticeable than in the 3D viewer. In practice you barely notice that the plexiglass is there

Page 15 of 811 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115515 ... LastLast