Page 514 of 642 FirstFirst ... 14414464504512513514515516524564614 ... LastLast
Results 12,826 to 12,850 of 16048

Thread: Yankee Stadium [II]

Quote Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    I believe the Lou Gehrig plaque says something about his record consecutive game streak is a record that will never be broken. Should they change that too? I dont believe in changing these, as history always advances and things change, but the plaques should stay in their original form in my opinion.
    I agree with you 100%.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Nice photos 3783. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by OllieNYY View Post
    There is an entrance just by Gate 4 (handily called the 'Suite Entrance') The championship seating guys enter there to so might be a line. They give you an arm band and you can walk down into the lounge. Great score on the seats, were they stubhub? I sat in Section 27A, posted the images 2 pages back, have an awesome time man!
    Yeah they were stubhub. I am going up tomorrow to NYC and I do not have access to a printer so I couldn't wait until they dropped to their bargain basement prices on the day of the game. Fortunately, I found them to be only $60 more then the tickets we bought last time I was there. So I figured this will probably be my only chance to sit in the legends section and I took it.

Also, are the tables in the lounge first come first serve or you need to be seated by the waiter/ess?
    Last edited by quagmire; 08-19-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Disappointing stadium

Quote Originally Posted by scottybk View Post
    Hi all,

Just got back from tonite's game (8/18 vs. Tigers. ) It was my second trip to the new stadium, and first trip there this year.

I attended tonite's game with a good friend of mine who was a longtime vendor (beer & hot dog guy) at Yankee Stadium, He worked his first game at the old stadium in 1995 when he was a junior in high school, and has worked there steadily ever since as a side-job.

The way it works is that those vendors with the most seniority get to work the best games (i.e. vs. Red Sox, Mets, and other "premium" games, as well as getting first dibs on playoff games. They also get their pick of what to sell (obviously you earn more selling beer and hot dogs than anything else).

They work on commission plus tips. It's a tough job lugging that stuff up & down the stairs etc for 2+ hours, esp in the summer heat.

My friend quit his vending job at YS in May 2010. Many of his long-time fellow vendors have also quit. Fact is, the vendors got royally screwed at the new park. First off, beer is now only allowed to be sold via the vednors either

1.) Until the 7th inning stretch or,

2.) Two hours from the first pitch, whichever comes first.

Tonite "last call" on beer from the vendors came at the bottom of the 5th inning, since it was a game with lots of early offense. So the "beer guys" have lost a TON of sales under the new rule. The vednors also only get to sell the crappy Coors & Bud Light/Budwesier, and not the premium stuff available inside. Bottom line is that he went from making 250-300 a game to as little as $50, and decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore. In fact, hardly any vendors were walking around anymore at all, since most of them cannot earn enough $$$ to make it worth doing.

Another thing is the new hot dog vending system. At OYS the vendors lugged the dogs in an aluminum box full of hot "dirty water," and the buns in a seperate pouch, so that at least you'd get a "hot" dog with a fresh bun. Now the dogs/buns are pre-wrapped in tin foil pouches and carried about in an insulated duffle-bag type thing. The result is that the vendor dogs are now lukewarm and soggy, and it thus makes no sense to buy off the vendors when you can get a piping hot dog from the concourse "franchise" cencessions.

According to my buddy, the NYS is purposely trying to drive out the vendors and have everyone just buy the food inside, b/c the stadium makes more $$$ off the inside sales since they don't have to pay the vendors the commission.

It's pretty funny how all the "new jobs" were supposed to be created in a poor area by this new mall-park. What a joke. The jobs working the inside stands pay min. wage and hardly anyone leaves a tip at those inside concessions. And now the decent-paying vendor jobs are being driven out on purpose.

Those colorful vendors were an essential part of the NY baseball experience, and now we're rapidly losing that "New-Yawk" flavor. In my opinion, the NYS is as empty, vapid, expensive, and all-around disappointing sports experience out there. As others have said, most people are focused on the huge Jumbo-Tron which blares idiotic cartoons and commericals incessantly. It also seems so quiet, since half the "fans" are busy in the Jim Beam bar or video arcade or other pointless rip-offs inside this souless monstrosity. The upper decks is also MILES from the field, and overall a terrible embarassment to architecture.

Unless I'm getting free tix, tonite was my last time at this place. On my way in I was reading today's paper about the death of Bobby Thomson, and wishing to God I was headed to a game at a real stadium like the old Polo Grounds. If Thomson hit that shot in one of today's mall-parks half the fans would be busy watching Super Mario Bros on the jumbo-tron or texting on their cell phones. OYS was the last of the old-school NY parks, and the new imitation makes me miss the real thing so badly I'd just as soon stay home and watch on TV. Sad, isn't it?
    That is so sad to hear what has happened to the vendors, who are just trying to make a living. But, it does not surprise me one bit. This mall-park was not designed or built for common people.

I am in complete agreement with everything you said. You hit the nail right on the head, and you have evidence to back-up your claims. I've been to one game thus far this season, and I do not plan on going back unless I get free tickets, like you said; the Yankees organization will certainly not miss us in the short-term. I am happy to watch games on TV, but it makes me shake my head that the loud and raucous atmosphere is completely absent through the TV. It may get loud at the game, but most people watch on TV anyway, and that is how most people will judge a stadium; I know I do. The old Stadium had a very heavy and constant buzz through the TV, even during regular season games. The NYS has an empty and removed atmosphere through my TV, and that is my personal experience.

Has anyone noticed that when the Yankees are going into the bottom of the 9th of a game they are down, the Jumbo-Tron plays clips of past walk-off hits? If I was a player, that would bother me to no-end; it's almost like a jinx. As a fan, it bothers me.
    Last edited by locke40; 08-19-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Disappointing stadium

Those colorful vendors were an essential part of the NY baseball experience, and now we're rapidly losing that "New-Yawk" flavor.
    I will add that I do miss getting my buzz from the Couz -- Cousin Brewski.....

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game "A" Plan, Prom Box 423.

Sat in DN's seats last night with my son. That's sect 420B, row 10. I basked in the glory of NYS.The frieze was so close that I could almost touch it. It used to be an ornate,detailed classy symbol of YS,hanging stately near the edge of the upper deck. Now it is a nearly flat,spindly-looking thing that is set back too far due to the short "roof". I enjoyed every minute of the Yanks win, including Jeter adjusting his batting gloves after every pitch, a la Chuck Knoblauch. Ha ha, these modern players are so great. I would not enjoy the Stad experience as much if they ever did away with the silly YMCA bit, or the constant looks at the fans on the giant screen, giving their Jersey Shore waves and gang hand-signs. I did get to hear a recording of Bob Sheppard introducing Derek {batting gloves} Jeter, and after the game there was another recording of Frank Sinatra singing "New Shrine, New Shrine". At OYS/RYS, Sheppard and Sinatra were actually there! I heard from a fan that had been there the night before that the blind lady from Hope Week ran her hands across the frieze and declared "Fail Fake Stadium Fail!"
    Before you blast me, keep in mind that I am poking fun at both sides of the NYS debate. If I hated it, I wouldn't go. But when I sit there I can't help thinking about what once was and what this place might have been.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    It's a legitimate question. As much as I'm on record about the present facility being Fake Yankee Stadium Fail, my first response would be that the monuments and plaques are sacred and should not be altered, especially since they are artifacts from the original. The Ruppert plaque was put up in 1940, at which time Yankee Stadium was in its 18th season. I know DiMaggio's and Mantle's plaques were subsequently replaced by monuments, but that's not the same thing.

However, there is a precedent... the Hall of Fame replaced Jackie Robinson's plaque in 2008 to better reflect his impact on the game...

...whereas the original 1962 plaque...

...just concentrated on his playing career (at Robinson's request).

So if they could do it in Cooperstown, they could do it in the Bronx. (Not that I'm saying they should.)
    I never wanted the plaque to be altered in anyway nor removed from Monument Park, however it can be misleading to the casual fan. That is why I suggested a plaque of Yankee Stadium Opening day 1923 could be displayed below the original Ruppert plaque. They could also create a similar Ruppert plaque for George Steinbrenner with a new Yankee Stadium opening day 2009 plaque to match.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Hi all,
    Tonite "last call" on beer from the vendors came at the bottom of the 5th inning, since it was a game with lots of early offense. So the "beer guys" have lost a TON of sales under the new rule. The vednors also only get to sell the crappy Coors & Bud Light/Budwesier, and not the premium stuff available inside. Bottom line is that he went from making 250-300 a game to as little as $50, and decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore. In fact, hardly any vendors were walking around anymore at all, since most of them cannot earn enough $$$ to make it worth doing.
    Why in the world should a beer vendor feel 'entitled' to make $250-300 Per game? Are you joking?
    Sorry, I would rather not have to deal with so many drunks (like the 1970's) at a game when I take my wife and kids. My God, people get cut off only two hours from the first pitch. Where's my crying towel?

If people are so lazy that they can't get out of their seat and go get something, that they need to be served in their seat, well what can I add to that.

I don't mind if vendors go the same way as the OYS/RYS and Shea Stadium ushers.....another useless union job that was thankfully eliminated in both new ballparks. Another group of whiners who always had their hand out for doing nothing.

There are many other professions that would like to earn $250-$300 for approximately 4 hours of time.

So I am glad that you have decided to stay away from the Stadium.

Hi all,

Just got back from tonite's game (8/18 vs. Tigers. ) It was my second trip to the new stadium, and first trip there this year.

I attended tonite's game with a good friend of mine who was a longtime vendor (beer & hot dog guy) at Yankee Stadium, He worked his first game at the old stadium in 1995 when he was a junior in high school, and has worked there steadily ever since as a side-job.

The way it works is that those vendors with the most seniority get to work the best games (i.e. vs. Red Sox, Mets, and other "premium" games, as well as getting first dibs on playoff games. They also get their pick of what to sell (obviously you earn more selling beer and hot dogs than anything else).

They work on commission plus tips. It's a tough job lugging that stuff up & down the stairs etc for 2+ hours, esp in the summer heat.

My friend quit his vending job at YS in May 2010. Many of his long-time fellow vendors have also quit. Fact is, the vendors got royally screwed at the new park. First off, beer is now only allowed to be sold via the vednors either

1.) Until the 7th inning stretch or,

2.) Two hours from the first pitch, whichever comes first.

Another thing is the new hot dog vending system. At OYS the vendors lugged the dogs in an aluminum box full of hot "dirty water," and the buns in a seperate pouch, so that at least you'd get a "hot" dog with a fresh bun. Now the dogs/buns are pre-wrapped in tin foil pouches and carried about in an insulated duffle-bag type thing. The result is that the vendor dogs are now lukewarm and soggy, and it thus makes no sense to buy off the vendors when you can get a piping hot dog from the concourse "franchise" cencessions.

According to my buddy, the NYS is purposely trying to drive out the vendors and have everyone just buy the food inside, b/c the stadium makes more $$$ off the inside sales since they don't have to pay the vendors the commission.

It's pretty funny how all the "new jobs" were supposed to be created in a poor area by this new mall-park. What a joke. The jobs working the inside stands pay min. wage and hardly anyone leaves a tip at those inside concessions. And now the decent-paying vendor jobs are being driven out on purpose.

Those colorful vendors were an essential part of the NY baseball experience, and now we're rapidly losing that "New-Yawk" flavor. In my opinion, the NYS is as empty, vapid, expensive, and all-around disappointing sports experience out there. As others have said, most people are focused on the huge Jumbo-Tron which blares idiotic cartoons and commericals incessantly. It also seems so quiet, since half the "fans" are busy in the Jim Beam bar or video arcade or other pointless rip-offs inside this souless monstrosity. The upper decks is also MILES from the field, and overall a terrible embarassment to architecture.

Unless I'm getting free tix, tonite was my last time at this place. On my way in I was reading today's paper about the death of Bobby Thomson, and wishing to God I was headed to a game at a real stadium like the old Polo Grounds. If Thomson hit that shot in one of today's mall-parks half the fans would be busy watching Super Mario Bros on the jumbo-tron or texting on their cell phones. OYS was the last of the old-school NY parks, and the new imitation makes me miss the real thing so badly I'd just as soon stay home and watch on TV. Sad, isn't it?
    I agree with some of the things you said, but I totally disagree with you on the NYS experience. On all the jumbotron screens there (particularly the one in the great hall and the TV's at the vendors, the game is always on. In between inning you have your typical trivia and cameras on some fans, but for the most part the game is always on. And I have sat in the Grand stands and IMO you don't feel like miles away from the field. I mean it doesn't feel like you can touch the players either, but it's not that far and and you can see the field.

In terms of the vending situation, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I didn't realize those guys work on commission. I thought they get a base salary and commission on how much they sell. In the new place, with the wider concourses and larger amounts of food stands, you are almost encouraged to get your food and head back to your seats. Camden Yards is the same way. I liked the fact that there were less vendors walking around blocking me from seeing the game, but it's too bad that their wages were cut.
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Don't let a few trolls and bad apples spoil it for you yoda. We've lost enough good contributors to this forum.
    Agreed! Don't let the faux "posting police" and name-calling chase you away! Let freedom ring here and let's leave all the personal attacks out of this place....
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Does this plaque belong in New Yankee Stadium's Monument Park?

Displaying this plaque in New Yankee Stadium should be considered misleading to the casual observer.
    I would hope that a casual observer would know enough that someone who passed away in 1939 could not have been directly responsible for a place that opened in 2009.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by threeyoda View Post
    I have an unbiased opinion too. I have seen and heard it firsthand.

But that's it. I'm gonna stop posting here for now. Once this board cleans up and straightens itself out, I'll come back. It was nice chatting with the ones here who are actually good to talk too and can have a conversation.
    Even I've gotta say, yoda, I hope your departure isn't permanent.

There's really not much which can be done about others' opinions -- AND I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE THEM TO PHRASE THEM AS OPINIONS RATHER THAN FACTS -- but as for helping to keep the board cleaned up, we can only promise to do our best. As you know, I've been somewhat active in the Ballparks forum these days. So, again, I hope you don't leave for good.

Btw, I especially love that gridiron pic, DN4L ! Nice shot!
    Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
    I would hope that a casual observer would know enough that someone who passed away in 1939 could not have been directly responsible for a place that opened in 2009.
    I can read into the plaque myself if that is what you want. How would one know Ruppert didn't have a vision late in life...Maybe on his death bed and his family years and years later made it a reality and built a monument to his memory. That monument wouldn't be New Yankee Stadium.
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 08-19-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Even I've gotta say, yoda, I hope your departure isn't permanent.

There's really not much which can be done about others' opinions -- AND I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE THEM TO PHRASE THEM AS OPINIONS RATHER THAN FACTS -- but as for helping to keep the board cleaned up, we can only promise to do our best. As you know, I've been somewhat active in the Ballparks forum these days. So, again, I hope you don't leave for good.

Btw, I especially love that gridiron pic, DN4L ! Nice shot!
    To be honest I didn't appreciate the way some posters belittled others here on this thread.
    As you can see from other posters responses I had ample opportunity to do the same but I remained tame and civil.

Others in this world have the right to express their own opinions and if some can't handle the adversity I'm not sure how they survive in the real world.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Yeah they were stubhub. I am going up tomorrow to NYC and I do not have access to a printer so I couldn't wait until they dropped to their bargain basement prices on the day of the game. Fortunately, I found them to be only $60 more then the tickets we bought last time I was there. So I figured this will probably be my only chance to sit in the legends section and I took it.

Also, are the tables in the lounge first come first serve or you need to be seated by the waiter/ess?
    When you enter the lounge, a 'guest service representative' as she called herself will ask if you want to sit down stairs or up. Make sure to visit the candy shelf in the entrance to legends suite seating area outside, I was in heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by OllieNYY View Post
    When you enter the lounge, a 'guest service representative' as she called herself will ask if you want to sit down stairs or up. Make sure to visit the candy shelf in the entrance to legends suite seating area outside, I was in heaven!
    And I assume they would either show me to the table or show me where to go.

I don't know what to choose. I can sit on the upper floor and look at the jealous peasants walking by or go down and be alone with my own kind. Most likely if there are any celebrities there, they would be downstairs.

Overall, I am pumped up. I don't think I will be able to go to another baseball game after this experience. I already can't eat the food at Nationals Park after eating Lobel's. As you can tell, I like to know what to do so I don't look like a chicken with its head cutoff.
    Last edited by quagmire; 08-19-2010 at 04:20 PM.

To be honest I didn't appreciate the way some posters belittled others here on this thread.
    As you can see from other posters responses I had ample opportunity to do the same but I remained tame and civil.

Others in this world have the right to express their own opinions and if some can't handle the adversity I'm not sure how they survive in the real world.
    You said it better than anyone else has - thanks.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

An example of one of your "tame and civil" posts, because I and others has the audacity to express OUR opinion that NYS could be loud,

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...65#post1773665

Here's a quick tip.....You can lower the Amplifier setting on the Hearing Aid your wearing because I wouldn't want others to believe that New Yankee Stadium is as loud as some say here on Baseball Fever.

The new Meadowlands rocked louder for Monday's Pre-Season Jets/Giants game in comparison to Yankee Stadium during the 2009 World Series games 1 and 2.
    i should hope so!!

Quote Originally Posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
    i should hope so!!
    Well, with a closed-in stadium and 35000 more people and the fact that they are rowdy FOOTBALL fans.............................
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Nys is truly home field advantage

This is interesting. Since the new Yankee Stadium opened last season, New York has posted a major league-best 97-45 home record. NICE!!!!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametra...100820_SEA@NYY
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

I am here for the game. I missed this stadium. Pictures just don't show the great exterior of NYS.

EDIT: it looks like it is a sell out today. People trying to buy tickets at the stadium are unsuccessful.
    Last edited by quagmire; 08-21-2010 at 07:43 AM.

I am here for the game. I missed this stadium. Pictures just don't show the great exterior of NYS.

EDIT: it looks like it is a sell out today. People trying to buy tickets at the stadium are unsuccessful.
    I will be watching you from Florida today on my MLB Extra Innings Package. You are right, the exterior of NYS is really impressive in person, i like it a lot. The inside too. You know you at in a stadium for the Yankees when you are outside or inside this stadium.
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Quote Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    I will be watching you from Florida today on my MLB Extra Innings Package. You are right, the exterior of NYS is really impressive in person, i like it a lot. The inside too. You know you at in a stadium for the Yankees when you are outside or inside this stadium.
    You may actually see me. I am in legend seats. I am loving it right now. Had hanger steak, roasted vegetables, king crab legs, and shrimp for lunch. And the seats are so comfortable.

You may actually see me. I am in legend seats. I am loving it right now. Had hanger steak, roasted vegetables, king crab legs, and shrimp for lunch. And the seats are so comfortable.
    I bet you didnt bring a BASEBALL FEVER sign. It would be perfect, the Yankees would think you are holding up a baseball sign, but we here on the forum could identify you.

Page 514 of 642 FirstFirst ... 14414464504512513514515516524564614 ... LastLast