Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Red Sox Game Thread

Blog Entries

The 2009 Red Sox Game Thread

Well, the new season is upon us (weather permitting), and there will be a lot to talk about, celebrate, agonize over, second-guess and spar about. Have at it, and have fun!

Welcome Back, Baseball!
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Blog Entries
    Good game. Beckett was very sharp (10 Ks), Pedroia picked up where he left off with a HR in his first at-bat, and Varitek homered and did not strike out, hitting the ball pretty hard at each at-bat. I hope that is a good sign.

How good is it to see them playing ball again?
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Masterson looked like he was out of his league...hope it was just opening day nerves and not the start of a problem.

Beckett should have gone out for another inning. There wasn't much if anything showing that would have meant he was done.

Pedroia looked like he is going to shut up detractors...he's supposed to take a big step back this year but he played like he was going to do the opposite.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Was at the game and it was phenomenal.
    Beckett looked very good, I think the cold weather and the fact he was at 90 plus pitches was the reason he got pulled. I thought Masterson was ok, but Okajima struggled to find the strike zone.
    Love the fact that 2-7 were all on base twice. Plus Varitek made solid contact three times. Just an all-around great day at the ballpark.
    "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

Is it just me or is Varitek's swing different?

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Is it just me or is Varitek's swing different?
    He seems to have gained some bat speed and better sense of the ball's location than he had last year
    Best posts ever:

Didn't get to watch the game as it was not on TV down here, but after reading the recap and the above comments-- sounds like most everything went right. That's definitely good to hear about Tek. Hopefully, Oki and Masterson will get straightened out pretty quick.
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

So not worried about Oki and Masterson. Definitely glad to see Varitek working hard to adjust offensively. Glad to see vintage Beckett. Lotta positives here.

Beckett seems to be back in form.

Varitek might not be a liability offensively this season. He looked good today.

Positive signs almost all around...Beckett was great, the offense was solid, and I don't think Masterson's perfomance is anything to worry about...he gave up 1 hit and had 1 K in 2/3 of a IP...and the single was rather bloopish, if it weren't for the two guys on base, it would have been meaningless.

I'm not too worried about Okajima...his control was just off...it was a bit cool out, and Oki isn't a velocity guy, he's a feel/control guy.
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

Mike Lowell looked like he was lunging at balls and one time looked like he could barely make it to first base without a cart...Francona mentioned that he wasn't 100 percent, he looks like he's still a month away from playing full strenght.

I hope it's just a one game thing because if he is having problems tonight and Thursday he needs to go on the DL.
    Best posts ever:

Quote Originally Posted by efin98 View Post
    Mike Lowell looked like he was lunging at balls and one time looked like he could barely make it to first base without a cart...Francona mentioned that he wasn't 100 percent, he looks like he's still a month away from playing full strenght.

I hope it's just a one game thing because if he is having problems tonight and Thursday he needs to go on the DL.
    It would be nice if he could hang on until Lugo comes back, at least. Then they could move Lowrie to 3B and play Julio at SS for a little bit.

It was hilarious to hear the Rays announcers.

DeWayne Staats speaking in a monotone in the 1st inning: "drive to left it's gone home run Pedroia"

Kevin Kennedy made NO mention at all that he used to MANAGE the Sox....
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Train View Post
    It would be nice if he could hang on until Lugo comes back, at least. Then they could move Lowrie to 3B and play Julio at SS for a little bit.
    They won't move Lowrie, they would move Youk, play Carter or Baldelli at first base, and call up Wilkerson.
    Best posts ever:

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    It was hilarious to hear the Rays announcers.

DeWayne Staats speaking in a monotone in the 1st inning: "drive to left it's gone home run Pedroia"
    Kevin Kennedy made NO mention at all that he used to MANAGE the Sox....
    Why would he? What does managing the team 13 years ago have to do with the game at hand?

We get it, you hate the Rays and their announcers...but you don't have to whine about them every time the Sox play them.
    Best posts ever:

efin98 looks to be in mid season form

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    efin98 looks to be in mid season form
    I'm never out of form...I can't stand whining.

Kazmir looks off tonight, doesn't quite look like he's fully there. First the barely snagged liner by Ellsbury, then two walks...he could be in for a long night(hopefully)

Second game of the year and Youk already looks like he's going to be banging coolers and throwing bats and getting into fights again.

Baldelli got a big cheer from the crowd as he came to the plate- fans forgave his playing for the Rays already

Lowell is lunging still. His swing looks slower and he looks uncomfortable in the box- he's clearly still in pain.

Varitek looks like he lost some weight...he looks slimmer in his chest than he was last year- that perhaps explains the increased bat speed.
    Last edited by efin98; 04-08-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Best posts ever:

The umpire is rooting for Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    The umpire is rooting for Tampa.
    They didn't need help from the umpire...the Red Sox were giving them every chance in the world on their own.

Youk stunk tonight, Lester got shellacked, Lowell is doing more harm than good.

The only good things to come from tonight was Delcarman and Ramirez looked good.
    Best posts ever:

Coming into this season i thought Lowell was going to be a problem and so far i am right...hopefully he did not come back too soon. It would be nice to give him a day off every other day or so. Maybe move Youk over and play Carter at 1b to get him some playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    Coming into this season i thought Lowell was going to be a problem and so far i am right...hopefully he did not come back too soon. It would be nice to give him a day off every other day or so. Maybe move Youk over and play Carter at 1b to get him some playing time.
    Francona himself said he wasn't fully back...they have the guys on the team and in the minors, no need to force him to play this early on.
    Best posts ever:

Sour grapes, I know, but I wonder how Dice-K's first start of the season would have gone had he not played in the WBC?
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Quote Originally Posted by maximum jack View Post
    Sour grapes, I know, but I wonder how Dice-K's first start of the season would have gone had he not played in the WBC?
    I seriously doubt that had any effect. To me, his playing in the WBC is the same as any other pre-season game. Pitch counts, etc.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    There was a lot to gripe about in yesterday's game, the flat offense being the most obvious, but I am heartened to see Varitek swinging better (albeit with little to show for it but the 2 home runs; at least he has not struck out yet). I wish Ellsbury would show more of a spark at the plate, but it's early, early days yet. It was good to see him steal, and cause navarro to rush his throw to 2nd and make an errant throw. I like seeing how a speedy runner can rattle a battery.

Good to see Youk on fire. I don't suppose he can keep up this pace for very long, but it is good to see.

I saw that Pedroia was awarded the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards yesterday; when is the MVP awarded?
    --Annie
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Nashville... home of the WORST AAA stadium ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSoxFan View Post

I wish Ellsbury would show more of a spark at the plate, but it's early, early days yet.

What's with his taking first pitch strikes so much and NODDING after it is called a strike?

Is it to say, "Yep. That's a strike" or... what is the purpose for that response?

I don't get that reaction from him or anyone else who does that.

Swing at the damn pitch.

And where is Papi? I tell ya... he's just not the same.

Three games in... long ways to go.

Guido

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast