Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Season Thread

Thumbs up 2009 Season Thread

After a one day rain delay, the Rays opened the season in Boston today with a thud. They scattered 3 hits among 14 strikeouts and were fortunate to still have the tying run come to the plate in the 8th inning. Carlos Pena had an Opening Day to forget, with an 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts, 2 looking. Time to forget about today and focus on tomorrow's rematch.

Shields is neither the first nor the only pitcher to run into trouble dealing with Fenway kryptonite.

This is going to be a heck of a season and a lot of ups and downs. For the Rays, this was a down. That's really all.

I was watching the late news on the local NBC affiliate last night..to hear their sports people talk, The Opening Day Loss Was The End Of The World And Is That How This Season Will Be?

It was just a opening day loss! I doubt you guys are going to equal the '88 Orioles!
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Just 1 of 162 is the way I look at it, and I'm sure the team does too. The season runs until October 4 and the World Series could go into November. Shields is a home stadium pitcher, I think it's gotten into his head that he struggles on the road. Another hurdle for him to overcome to earn that nickname he's got.

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Stickying.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I think the Sox had a bad game more than the Rays had a good one last night. The Rays got the benefit of 11 different bad calls, counting times Sox hitters got jobbed on the corners and Sox pitchers got squeezed. Which wouldn't have come to nothing except for the timing of some of these bad calls (dodgy strike 3's for the second out with RISP's twice and once to keep Tampa's 4 run frame alive) and the fact that it was compounded by very bad defensive decisions by the Red Sox defense.

The Rays were probably winning that game no matter what. Lester always starts slow, and Kazmir has given Boston a great deal of trouble for some time. But I have to think that given the number of ways this game could have gone differently given average umpiring and average defensive decision-making by the Sox D that Boston lost this one more than Tampa won it.

So is Beantown gripping already? Why would the Rays get the benefit of the calls in Boston? In the past, the umpires already counted us out, and so what if we screw the Rays on the call, they're not going anywhere.

It's such a long season, you can't read a whole lot into the first 3 games. Am I glad the Rays took 2 of 3? Of course, but each game could have gone either way. Especially today. If this is the Percival we get this year, it will be bullpen by committee again, or maybe Isringhausen gets called up and gets his shot. The Sox still have more pitching depth than the Rays, I suspect. Especially if Penny and/or Smoltz give you anything. We have little wiggle room for error, or injury. The owner has already said he's maxed out for payroll and won't be able to add anyone, unless it's a swap of salaries. If we go into Baltimore and lose 2 of 3, we've gained nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    So is Beantown gripping already? Why would the Rays get the benefit of the calls in Boston? In the past, the umpires already counted us out, and so what if we screw the Rays on the call, they're not going anywhere.

It's such a long season, you can't read a whole lot into the first 3 games. Am I glad the Rays took 2 of 3? Of course, but each game could have gone either way. Especially today. If this is the Percival we get this year, it will be bullpen by committee again, or maybe Isringhausen gets called up and gets his shot. The Sox still have more pitching depth than the Rays, I suspect. Especially if Penny and/or Smoltz give you anything. We have little wiggle room for error, or injury. The owner has already said he's maxed out for payroll and won't be able to add anyone, unless it's a swap of salaries. If we go into Baltimore and lose 2 of 3, we've gained nothing.
    "maxed out on payroll"...

This isn't Marlins redux, is it?

Season's just started. Let's see what's what come July or so...

If we go into Baltimore and lose 2 of 3, we've gained nothing.
    If we don't win today, it will be 3 of 3. Very weak effort last night against the ace of the Orioles, and their bullpen. Right now, there have been too many strikeouts, and they are relying on the HR to score runs. They are leaving too many on base and not getting the clutch hit. Today is a big game already to have some momentum going into the home opening series versus the Yanks, then against our ALDS opponent of 2008 in the White Sox. Getting BJ Upton back tomorrow and putting him at the top of the order might be the spark they need to jump start the offense.

Nice to see the bats get going, finally. You knew the horrific BA with BISP wouldn't last forever, since they were getting hits, just not in a timely manner.

Now win at least 2 out of 3 against NY and keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by zengator View Post
    Nice to see the bats get going, finally. You knew the horrific BA with BISP wouldn't last forever, since they were getting hits, just not in a timely manner.

Now win at least 2 out of 3 against NY and keep it going.
    Yes, please beat New York. Who is pitching in the series?
    G Man

Kazmir vs Wang tonight (9-0 Rays the last I checked)
    Tuesday it's Burnett vs Garza.
    Wednesday, Pettite vs Sonnanstine.

Awesome game last nite. Just awesome. They battered Wang to within an inch of his life and turned the game into an absolute laugher. Yankees were forced to bring Nick Swisher in to pitch and as it turned out they might want to bring him in to close from now on as he was the only hurler to not give up a run.

G Man

The catch by CC was great too.

G Man

Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
    The catch by CC was great too.

G Man
    What about the catch by Upton? Brought back memories of Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series, though not as clutch or dramatic as that one

Wang without his sinker working is very ordinary and hittable. That game was over early, now on to the next one. The Rays will feed off the emotion of another sellout crowd tonight, as they will be getting their AL Championship rings in a pregame ceremony. The only thing better than having the Yankees sitting in the opposite dugout watching it all would be the Red Sox doing it

What about the catch by Upton? Brought back memories of Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series, though not as clutch or dramatic as that one

Wang without his sinker working is very ordinary and hittable. That game was over early, now on to the next one. The Rays will feed off the emotion of another sellout crowd tonight, as they will be getting their AL Championship rings in a pregame ceremony. The only thing better than having the Yankees sitting in the opposite dugout watching it all would be the Red Sox doing it
    Yeah what do we have 31 al championships? I think we could let you have one.

Considering the Yankees have done the PSC for 8 straight seasons, seeing them in the opposite side of the dugout during a ring ceremony is all right by me...no matter who the ring-receiving team is

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
    How many did you win in your first 10 years in the AL? You can't compare the 100+ years of Yankee tradition to a perennial cellar dwellar.

"Let us have one", you guys weren't even close in 2008. It went to the 27th out of game 7 of the ALCS to put down the Red Sox. Winning the 6 month marathon of the AL East, then getting as far as we did was a tremendous battle.

It is painful to watch Troy Percival as the closer. Maddon's loyalty to him can only go so far before it affects the other 24 guys. With Grant Balfour struggling as well, it appears the closer slot will be our achille's heel this season. Price might be up earlier than expected...

Those two loses, coming back against Burnett only to lose it and then having the pen lose the 3rd game really hurt. O well, its early but would have been nice to put up a statement against the Yankees early. And yes, they need to bring Price up, now.

G Man

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
    Just another ignorant comment from another ignorant Yankees fan. And they wonder why we hate their team so much.

G Man

Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
    Just another ignorant comment from another ignorant Yankees fan. And they wonder why we hate their team so much.

G Man
    Where I'm originally from it kind of goes beyond Yankees/Sox.

Just go to the BU campus. You'll see.

Or move to Ft. Lauderdale. You'll see.

So far, the magic of 2008 has not returned to the 2009 edition of the Rays. They finish their first homestand of the year losing 2 of 3 to NY and 3 of 4 to the White Sox, now head out to Seattle, where the Ms are playing well. Our SPs are scuffling and our relievers, especially Wheeler and Balfour, have been between awful and terrible. If we don't hit a HR we lose, and more than half the runs we have scored have come via the HR. The clutch hits that came in bunches, including walkoff HRs, have failed to materialize.

Perhaps this road trip has come at the perfect time for them to gel and get back to the basics that served them so well in the past. Moving the runners up, taking the extra base, bunting, 2 out hits...fundamentals are lacking right now. Upton strained his quad today, but hopefully will be ready by Tuesday. If Pena and Longoria weren't hot, we would be the worst team in the AL. We started 8-11 in 2008, so it's not like we should throw in the towel already. But we know the Red Sox and Yankees won't be struggling much longer, so it's time to turn up the engines and start playing better baseball.

Im hoping that their play this past week has been a side effect of "Championship Week." Maybe now that the distractions of trophies and banners and rings are gone, they can get back to playing like champions.

It was pretty bad watching from one section over when Chicago hit the back-to-back HRs yesterday.

Right now, this team has faced it's first adversity since the World Series. The batters are gripping the bat into sawdust trying to be the guy to kickstart the offense, The pitchers are thinking they have to throw a perfect game or we'll lose. Maddon needs to figure out quick how to get things turned around. Platitudes and sayings will only go so far. We are losing to some pitchers that this team should rake against. We need to win 2 of 3 in Minnesota because the Red Sox will be waiting for us at home for 4 on Thursday and it could get ugly if things don't get turned around soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast