• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raysnbran
    Clubhouse Lawyer
    • Jan 2005

2009 Season Thread

After a one day rain delay, the Rays opened the season in Boston today with a thud. They scattered 3 hits among 14 strikeouts and were fortunate to still have the tying run come to the plate in the 8th inning. Carlos Pena had an Opening Day to forget, with an 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts, 2 looking. Time to forget about today and focus on tomorrow's rematch.
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )
  • Imgran
    • Dec 2007

Shields is neither the first nor the only pitcher to run into trouble dealing with Fenway kryptonite.

This is going to be a heck of a season and a lot of ups and downs. For the Rays, this was a down. That's really all.

Comment

• SDL
      Who the hell is Stan Papi
      • Sep 2006

I was watching the late news on the local NBC affiliate last night..to hear their sports people talk, The Opening Day Loss Was The End Of The World And Is That How This Season Will Be?

It was just a opening day loss! I doubt you guys are going to equal the '88 Orioles!
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• raysnbran
        Clubhouse Lawyer
        • Jan 2005

Just 1 of 162 is the way I look at it, and I'm sure the team does too. The season runs until October 4 and the World Series could go into November. Shields is a home stadium pitcher, I think it's gotten into his head that he struggles on the road. Another hurdle for him to overcome to earn that nickname he's got.
        Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Mattingly
          Yankee fan & proud of it!
          • Feb 2003

Stickying.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Imgran
            • Dec 2007

I think the Sox had a bad game more than the Rays had a good one last night. The Rays got the benefit of 11 different bad calls, counting times Sox hitters got jobbed on the corners and Sox pitchers got squeezed. Which wouldn't have come to nothing except for the timing of some of these bad calls (dodgy strike 3's for the second out with RISP's twice and once to keep Tampa's 4 run frame alive) and the fact that it was compounded by very bad defensive decisions by the Red Sox defense.

The Rays were probably winning that game no matter what. Lester always starts slow, and Kazmir has given Boston a great deal of trouble for some time. But I have to think that given the number of ways this game could have gone differently given average umpiring and average defensive decision-making by the Sox D that Boston lost this one more than Tampa won it.

Comment

• raysnbran
              Clubhouse Lawyer
              • Jan 2005

So is Beantown gripping already? :ooo: Why would the Rays get the benefit of the calls in Boston? In the past, the umpires already counted us out, and so what if we screw the Rays on the call, they're not going anywhere.

It's such a long season, you can't read a whole lot into the first 3 games. Am I glad the Rays took 2 of 3? Of course, but each game could have gone either way. Especially today. If this is the Percival we get this year, it will be bullpen by committee again, or maybe Isringhausen gets called up and gets his shot. The Sox still have more pitching depth than the Rays, I suspect. Especially if Penny and/or Smoltz give you anything. We have little wiggle room for error, or injury. The owner has already said he's maxed out for payroll and won't be able to add anyone, unless it's a swap of salaries. If we go into Baltimore and lose 2 of 3, we've gained nothing.

Comment

• SDL
                Who the hell is Stan Papi
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by raysnbran View Post
                So is Beantown gripping already? :ooo: Why would the Rays get the benefit of the calls in Boston? In the past, the umpires already counted us out, and so what if we screw the Rays on the call, they're not going anywhere.

It's such a long season, you can't read a whole lot into the first 3 games. Am I glad the Rays took 2 of 3? Of course, but each game could have gone either way. Especially today. If this is the Percival we get this year, it will be bullpen by committee again, or maybe Isringhausen gets called up and gets his shot. The Sox still have more pitching depth than the Rays, I suspect. Especially if Penny and/or Smoltz give you anything. We have little wiggle room for error, or injury. The owner has already said he's maxed out for payroll and won't be able to add anyone, unless it's a swap of salaries. If we go into Baltimore and lose 2 of 3, we've gained nothing.
                "maxed out on payroll"...

This isn't Marlins redux, is it?

Season's just started. Let's see what's what come July or so...
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• raysnbran
                  Clubhouse Lawyer
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by raysnbran View Post
                  If we go into Baltimore and lose 2 of 3, we've gained nothing.
                  If we don't win today, it will be 3 of 3. Very weak effort last night against the ace of the Orioles, and their bullpen. Right now, there have been too many strikeouts, and they are relying on the HR to score runs. They are leaving too many on base and not getting the clutch hit. Today is a big game already to have some momentum going into the home opening series versus the Yanks, then against our ALDS opponent of 2008 in the White Sox. Getting BJ Upton back tomorrow and putting him at the top of the order might be the spark they need to jump start the offense.

Comment

• zengator
                    The New Beast of the East
                    • Jul 2007

Nice to see the bats get going, finally. You knew the horrific BA with BISP wouldn't last forever, since they were getting hits, just not in a timely manner.

Now win at least 2 out of 3 against NY and keep it going.

Comment

• gman5431
                      GMan5431
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zengator View Post
                      Nice to see the bats get going, finally. You knew the horrific BA with BISP wouldn't last forever, since they were getting hits, just not in a timely manner.

Now win at least 2 out of 3 against NY and keep it going.
                      Yes, please beat New York. Who is pitching in the series?
                      G Man

Comment

• raysnbran
                        Clubhouse Lawyer
                        • Jan 2005

Kazmir vs Wang tonight (9-0 Rays the last I checked)
                        Tuesday it's Burnett vs Garza.
                        Wednesday, Pettite vs Sonnanstine.

Comment

• gman5431
                          GMan5431
                          • Oct 2007

Awesome game last nite. Just awesome. They battered Wang to within an inch of his life and turned the game into an absolute laugher. Yankees were forced to bring Nick Swisher in to pitch and as it turned out they might want to bring him in to close from now on as he was the only hurler to not give up a run.

G Man

Comment

• gman5431
                            GMan5431
                            • Oct 2007

The catch by CC was great too.

G Man

Comment

• raysnbran
                              Clubhouse Lawyer
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
                              The catch by CC was great too.

G Man
                              What about the catch by Upton? Brought back memories of Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series, though not as clutch or dramatic as that one

Wang without his sinker working is very ordinary and hittable. That game was over early, now on to the next one. The Rays will feed off the emotion of another sellout crowd tonight, as they will be getting their AL Championship rings in a pregame ceremony. The only thing better than having the Yankees sitting in the opposite dugout watching it all would be the Red Sox doing it

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X