Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Season Thread

Shoulda saved some of those runs from last night for the rest of the series

Luck..just pure luck...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

I guess that explains last night as well

3 outta 4 is not luck. Hopefully this series has awakened a sleeping giant, and the Rays start playing like the Rays of 2008. We will know more when the last place Orioles come to town tomorrow, and if I see a letdown, then I will resume my worrying. Carl Crawford was sick today, 4 for 4 with SIX stolen bases! If we hadn't left so many on base, and in scoring position, this game could have been decided early.

Troy Percival sucks.

That is all.

This team has lost the magic it had captured in a bottle in 2008. Right now, I wonder if they can ever get it back. There are too many disturbing trends right now to list them all. A couple, is BJ Upton's lack of batting average and power, yet continues to be the leadoff hitter. Our last 3 starters have gone 2, 5 and 5 innings, which taxes the bullpen. The bullpen has had chances to shut the door after a Rays comeback and promptly throw more gas on the fire. They are not handling the expectations of being the AL Champion this year well at all. They can't sneak up on teams anymore, and they all give us their best shot, and we are not responding like champions. A shakeup may soon be in order.

So what's the story with the lineup card screwup that has the Rays pitcher batting third and Longoria unable to play other than to pinch hit?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Maddon admitted he screwed up, having both Zobrist and Longoria at 3B when he meant to have Longoria be the DH. So Sonnanstine had to bat third but he came threw with a clutch double driving in runs, so it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    Maddon admitted he screwed up, having both Zobrist and Longoria at 3B when he meant to have Longoria be the DH. So Sonnanstine had to bat third but he came threw with a clutch double driving in runs, so it all worked out.
    They said on BBT that Sonnanstine was the first AL pitcher to hit and drive in a run in a game since '72 when Bert Blyleven did it. I'm assuming they meant regular season game.
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

They must mean AL game only, not interleague, as it's happened many times in interleague games.

I thought it was ironic/appropriate that Sonnanstine was the starting pitcher for the first Interleague game this season.

Well Percival is on the DL and possibly retiring, and Kazmir to the DL with a quad strain and a mechanics overhaul. Looks like closer by committee, and David Price to the rotation. A tough loss today, too many LOB again. On to Cleveland, and let's see if Price can pick up where he left off in game 7 of the ALDS, only in a starting role.

However, it looks like we have lost Iwamura, possibly for the season. He was taken out at 2B by Marlins rookie Chris Coghlan and he had to be carted off the field. He is on his way back to St Pete for an MRI, and it doesn't look good. Aybar, Zobrist and Brignac are the candidates to replace him in the everyday lineup. Bartlett sustained a left ankle sprain as well an inning late, and will be off tomorrow and is considered day to day.
    Last edited by raysnbran; 05-24-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Aki out for the year, and today Bartlett went on the DL with a sprained ankle from the same game vs the Marlins. Burrell still has a stiff neck and won't be back until Friday at the earliest.

After watching that historic meltdown by our bullpen last night, reminded me what a special year 2008 was. Nothing is the same this year. The SPs are not going deep into games, we are not getting the clutch hits with RISP, the walk off wins are rare, and the bullpen has been terrible. We lead the league in SBs, HRs and runs scored and are below .500. We cannot seem to win in Cleveland, blowing a 10-2 lead with 6 outs to go. If we cannot beat the worst team in the AL with a 10-0, fuhgeddaboudit....

Time to skulk out of our Cleveland house of horrors, limp back to Tampa Bay, and try to find where the AL Champion team disappeared to. The Rays are 0-4 since it was announced Maddon got a 3 year contract extension. Now we get to face a very good Twins team at home. Shields, Price and Garza this weekend, Shields needs to earn his nickname of Big Game James, because I a'int seeing it yet. Pena needs Burrell to get off the DL for a stiff neck, because he has sucked since Pat the Bat isn't protecting him in the lineup. Burrell needs to produce, and quick, and earn his $8 Mil. 1 HR and less than 20 RBI for 2 months of the season is just not cutting it.

Another gut wrenching W today, but we'll take it. We score 4 in the 9th to take the lead and Wheeler tries to give it right back. 3 out of our 4 starting infielders were out again, but they find a way. Longoria should be back starting tomorrow, and Bartlett by the end of the week, along with Burrell. The Rays need to find a place for Zobrist in the every day lineup. If it's at 2B and the defense suffers a little bit, so be it. But he produces every time he is in the lineup. I still don't think this closer by committee approach can be sustained over the long haul, especially when you never know what you will get from Wheeler and Balfour this year. Might as well try Isringhausen, at least he's got the experience.

This team will continue to be a .500 team all year with the sorry state of the bullpen. Grant Ball-Four has reverted back to his pre-2008 form. Same with Dan Wheeler. If JP Howell is considered the best one out there, why wasn't he facing the heart of the Yankees order in the 8th instead of Ball Four? With no money from ownership to spend anything to improve it, it looks like 1 step forward and 2 steps back every other game.

Quick question for Rays' fans. Is Evan Longoria going to be the first Rays' player elected to start an All-Star game?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Quick question for Rays' fans. Is Evan Longoria going to be the first Rays' player elected to start an All-Star game?
    No, I believe Jose Canseco was elected as the DH in 1999 when he had 30+ HRs before the break. But then he hurt his back just before the game and couldn't play, and then wasn't any good for the remainder of his stay here.

Most years we would start debating who would be the Rays representative in the game around May 15, because there wasn't much else to talk about
    This year we may have 4, especially if Maddon as the manager finds a way to get every team represented and can add some of his more deserving guys.

What is it with the Rays this year? They go on a pretty good winning streak, look like they are primed to make a move on the Yankees and Red Sox in the standings, then lose four in a row? Is it mainly bullpen problems?

The bullpen has been near the top of the league, if not baseball, most of the year. The starting pitching has been inconsistent. Sonnanstine was demoted to AAA after getting great run support and pitching lousy. Price has been wildly inconsistent, walking too many and giving up too many extra base hits, often throwing 100 pitches in 4+ innings. Shields has been the opposite of Sonnanstine, low ERA but no run support. Kazmir was all out of whack mechanically and then shut down for a month to rehab. Garza has been good for the most part, Niemann also inconsistent.

The hitters are also inconsistent. Pena has 23 HRs but is batting in the .230's. Longoria was POTM in April, suffered a strained hamstring in June and has really struggled ever since, he looks lost at the plate. Bartlett was also out for 3 weeks, Aki is out till September. Upton was terrible the 1st 2 months of the year as the leadoff man, the Gabe platoon in RF has been mediocre at best. Navarro was an AS catcher in 2008, and is batting .217 now.

They have been around .500 all year. They have already had 11 streaks of 2 or more losses, only had 13 all of 2008. They get hot, winning 7 straight, and now have lost 4 straight. It's been 3 steps forward and 2 steps back all season. Not many walk off wins, and 1 run wins in 2009, we thrived on that last year. They have gotten into the habit of thinking, "everything will be all right, we have a lot of the same team as last year", but the season is half over now. Last year was last year, the Yankees have much improved and the Red Sox will always be up there. They need to finish strong before the break, unlike 2008, and stop thinking of what happened in 2008. The other teams don't give a damn, the Rays are the hunted now not the hunter, and they haven't handled it very well so far.

A disappointing ending to a disappointing first half of the season. Why do I feel like this team has just been spinning its wheels since the beginning of April? Win 7 lose 4 win 3 lose 2. Too much inconsistency, and with the way the Red Sox and Yankees have been playing, even a wild card is looking further and further away at this point.

Rays have to sweep the Sox in the next 3 games to have any realistic chance at a wildcard. Anything less than that, it's wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    Rays have to sweep the Sox in the next 3 games to have any realistic chance at a wildcard. Anything less than that, it's wait until next year.
    Sweep won't be happening.

My Gawd...I thought I left franchise-dismantling behind when I left Lauderdale in '00...

You want to get better crowds, you do NOT get rid of your top players...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Kazmir had an ERA near 6 and has been a disappointment since the beginning of 2008. Maybe the Angels can straighten him out. For most of his starts this year you never knew what you were going to get. 3-2 on so many batters, he would hit 100 pitches before the 5th inning. Bottom line, he was not "one of our best players".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast