From my screen name you might guess that I have some feelings about the Denkinger call. HonusWagnerRules has posted a list of points, I will do the same.
1) The call clearly had an effect on the game's outcome.
2) There's no excuse for an umpire not to ask for help on that call in that big of a game when so much is being contested about it (although that wasn't very common in those days, I admit)
3) You can't blame losing the World Series on one call. Great teams overcome those things.
4) As HWR said, the Cards had another chance. They didn't win it.
5) We will never know if the Royals would have won anyway, it IS possible.
I've spoken to Jay Randolph (a current and then Cards broadcaster) who was on the Cards bus back to the hotel with the players after game 6. He said you could see it in their eyes--they were beaten.
The 85 Cardinals will forever be my favorite team of all time. I have gotten over the sting. It still hurts a little and the disappointment will never go away.
"There ain't much to bein' a ballplayer...if you're a ballplayer. "