That call didn't give the Royals the '85 World Series. Some facts:
Originally Posted by deadball-era-rules
1) Jorge Orta, who got the gift call, NEVER scored. He was forced out at third.
2) Jack Clark and Darrell Porter dropped an easy Steve Balboni foul ball near the first base dugout. Balboni subsequently singled.
3) Darrell Porter had a crucial passed ball.
4) Jim Sundberg attempted a bunt but Todd Worrell forced out Orta at third.
5) The Cards walked Hal McCrae intentionally, moving the winning run into scoring position.
6) This was Game 6, not Game 7, so the Cards still had a chance to win the World Series.
7) The Cards imploded in Game 7 with several ejections and lost 11-0.
Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis