Thread: **** Glove size for 8/9 year old ****

Question **** Glove size for 8/9 year old ****

I've always been under the assumption that using a smaller glove is the way to go as they are learning and playing different positions. I read where it helps alleviate a reliance on the glove and more of a sense of using the hands to catch. Curious what you guys think. My son currently uses a 9" well broken in Wilson. It is not a high dollar glove just a glove that he can easily open/close and is very, very light as well. On the team I coach, I see some kids with peach baskets on their hands, and although they can catch with them, I am curious if there is a drawback to the big glove vs the small glove. Thanks in advance....

My 8 y/o son uses a 11 inch Nike glove. It is very nice and was around $20 at Marshall's. I can't get my hand in it, so I know it was made for kids. Actually, my 11.5 inch Heart of the Hide fits him great. It's just too heavy.

As long as they can "close it," not sure there's too much to worry about it being too big.
    "Smith corks it into right, down the line. It may go...........Go crazy folks! Go crazy! Jack Buck

My 9 year old uses an 10.5 inch or 11 Rawlings, and plays first. It was a soft leather glove that was already broken in. Fits like a glove!

8 inch gloves sound really small to me. A boy on Ethan's team has a bright patent leather like colored glove, about that size, that he got for tee ball and is still using.

I worry about him catching flies with that thing. Very little room for error.

My 16 year old uses an 11" glove. If it works for him keep using it but if you needed to buy a new one, I would consider moving to a 10" or 11".

The one problem when discussing glove size is the way the glove is measured. For example, my sons 11" is the same length as his freinds 11.5". They measure from the heel of the glove, into the pocket and up the webbing. My sons glove is a shallower glove, whereas his friends is deeper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hitnpeas View Post
    I've always been under the assumption that using a smaller glove is the way to go as they are learning and playing different positions. I read where it helps alleviate a reliance on the glove and more of a sense of using the hands to catch. Curious what you guys think. My son currently uses a 9" well broken in Wilson. It is not a high dollar glove just a glove that he can easily open/close and is very, very light as well. On the team I coach, I see some kids with peach baskets on their hands, and although they can catch with them, I am curious if there is a drawback to the big glove vs the small glove. Thanks in advance....
    I believe you are on the right track using the smaller glove. Some kids have problems with the bigger heavier gloves and tend to stab at a ball, unless you have them use the lighter synthetic gloves. I had my son using a Nokona 10.5 as a 7 year old and moved him to a light SSK 11.25 inch as an 8 year old.

My son is 9 and uses a 10.5". He's the biggest kid on his team and has one of the smallest gloves. He plays first base and catches pretty much everything. It wasn't always the case but 4 years of using an appropriate sized glove have really taught him how to catch.

Gloves that are too big are detrimental at this age. Not only are they hard to control, but the kids can't squeeze the ball as well and consequently you see a lot of "catch-and-drops". Kids learn to just stick the glove out there and hope rather than actually catching. It's ridiculous. The problem is most of the dads are softball players so they have this huge glove mentality. In baseball you want to use the smallest glove you can get away with, at least in the infield.

8" is extremely small - like pre-tee ball. I don't think I've ever seen a "real" glove that was 8". Usually they have velcro in them if they're that small. Most tee ball gloves start at around 9", which is a good size for little hands to learn how to catch properly. My daughter (6) is still using her 9" and catches very well with it, but she's ready to move up.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Just for clarification my son is 8 but his current glove is a 9".... I have a 10" broken in and ready to go, but the 9" glove he uses and has used is soft like warm butter. lol.... He is able to close it well (actually it seems to close itself) and is very light. I have seen kids with 12-13" gloves and they are huge but they do the trick. I think I may move up to the 10" or maybe even 10.5" after the season, but it sounds like that is about all the bigger he need to go for now. Any other input is appreciated. Also, any suggestions on soft/easy to close larger gloves? I have friends who make custom gloves, but I was also looking at the Akedema line.

my kid is almost 10 & very small, he uses a 11.5 nike game ready decent cheap mitt. We also have a rawling gold glove 11.5 that he just plays catch with, it is heavier than the nike mitt i assume due to it being better made. I am pretty sure he has used the Nike mitt since about 7 with very few control problems. Every now & then a hard liner in practice will take off his glove.

Quote Originally Posted by hitnpeas View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Just for clarification my son is 8 but his current glove is a 9".... I have a 10" broken in and ready to go, but the 9" glove he uses and has used is soft like warm butter. lol.... He is able to close it well (actually it seems to close itself) and is very light. I have seen kids with 12-13" gloves and they are huge but they do the trick. I think I may move up to the 10" or maybe even 10.5" after the season, but it sounds like that is about all the bigger he need to go for now. Any other input is appreciated. Also, any suggestions on soft/easy to close larger gloves? I have friends who make custom gloves, but I was also looking at the Akedema line.
    Akadema's youth gloves are very nice. I'm also a big fan of Easton's Travel Ball series. Those are great gloves for kids.

Personally, I think that there is nothing wrong with kids using larger gloves. 12-13" is absurd for this age, but a good 11" glove will probably last him a few years. It may be big on him at 8/9, but by 11/12, it will be a great infield glove.

At 8/9, catching the ball requires a bit of confidence. A larger glove is easier to get on the ball, and (this is important) makes a better shield.

I bought a Lousiville TPX 11" part way into this season, my 9 yo was using a 10. We have 11 year olds on the team so the ball is coming in a lot faster. The TPX has a pad in the palm. He plays the corners when he's not catching.
    Its a well made glove and should last him several seasons. I'd say half my team uses 10".

Shoeless Joe gloves ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

check out the shoeless joe line of gloves. unbelievable quality, and I mean it.

I have quite a few gloves, rawlings gold glove, Wilson A2000, Two pro Mizuno models, a few TPX glvoes, etc. Nothing compares to the 11.25 Shoeless Joe glove I bought for my son. He won't even use the Wilson A2K. The broken in feel of that tobacco leather is incredible. The 11 was too small and the 11.5 was too big. Not many glove companies make odd, or inbetween sizes. Shoeless Joe doesn't mass market their gloves. But, you can find the size and style you want if you look. Only look at their pro models. Prices are from 125 or so to 150. My son is 10, but his hand is smaller than most kids on our team. The 11.25 may be a good option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajun Cajun View Post

I have quite a few gloves, rawlings gold glove, Wilson A2000, Two pro Mizuno models, a few TPX glvoes, etc. Nothing compares to the 11.25 Shoeless Joe glove I bought for my son. He won't even use the Wilson A2K. The broken in feel of that tobacco leather is incredible. The 11 was too small and the 11.5 was too big. Not many glove companies make odd, or inbetween sizes. Shoeless Joe doesn't mass market their gloves. But, you can find the size and style you want if you look. Only look at their pro models. Prices are from 125 or so to 150. My son is 10, but his hand is smaller than most kids on our team. The 11.25 may be a good option for you.
    I am not happy with my 9 year olds current glove and you have me interested in this 11.25. He has large hands for his age but Im wondering if your sons hand fits snug like some of the Mizunos or is it loose? They dont list it is as a youth glove therefore the inside might be cut for an adult hand. Also does it have any snap close from the break in process they have.

Akadema AZR-95 11". My son used his for 2 years (8-10 yo). Great quality/durability. Currently the glove is waiting for his sister to grow into it.

No, they don't list those gloves as youth gloves, but all of the Shoeless Joe gloves are awesome. You might order the 11.25, and the 11.5 and just return the one that he doesn't like. It does depend on where he plays. You will notice that A-Rod plays with a 10.75 inch glove. Most infielders use a smaller size glove so they can get the ball out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajun Cajun View Post

I was looking for a new glove for my 13yo and ran acrossed the Shoeless Joe gloves. this post is from 2008 so I was wondering what you opinion is now of this glove. I'm looking for a glove to will take him to or possibly thru HS and not my wallet to the cleaners. He prefers a shallow pocket...plays middle infield
    Last edited by Skipper_George; 04-10-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: grammer

Just realized the original posts were from 2009. Never mind . . .