Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Name This Tiger

Sorry if this is too easy....
    "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Blog Entries
    Darnell Coles?
    Last edited by tigers527; 06-21-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers527 View Post
    Darnell Coles?
    Negative. Here's a hint: he's a World Champion.
    "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Would that be Tiger broadcaster Rod Allen?

Quote Originally Posted by riverfrontier View Post
    Would that be Tiger broadcaster Rod Allen?
    Yep, Mr. Country Strong himself.

Captain, are you saying that your father grew up at the same time and on the same block as Hal Newhouser, when Newhouser was a Tiger? Do tell. If your father was there at the same time as Hal, great. If your father was a generation behind, there still must be some neighborhood pride/stories to recall.

Kirk Gibson (worst Tiger ever) should thank his lucky stars that it was HE who hit those home runs in the '84 and '88 World Series to become the most fabled Michigan-born ballplayer since everybody forgot Gehringer and Newhouser.

OK...................somebody post an unknown Tiger
    They lived on the same street at the same time, my father as a kid and Newhouser as a Tiger. He was a clubhouse kid for the team growing up, so he knew all the players. When he and I went to Cooperstown a few years back, he spent a lot of time in the library looking up the players who would babysit him in the dugout (no stars) while my grandfather sold programs. The biggest name he actually got close to as a kid was Billy Pierce.

He's never really talked much about it. I guess he doesn't think it was such a big deal. I'll ask him who he really knew and about Newhouser next time I see him.

If I could figure out how to paste a picture . . .
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

That's remarkable about your father. People write books about things like that, y'know. The fly-on-the-wall vantage point.
    I hadn't realized that Ken Macha, the current manager of the Brewers, is Newhouser's cousin.

Ok, who is this Tiger? For bonus points, what was significant about his debut with the Tigers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's remarkable about your father. People write books about things like that, y'know. The fly-on-the-wall vantage point.
    I hadn't realized that Ken Macha, the current manager of the Brewers, is Newhouser's cousin.

Ok, who is this Tiger? For bonus points, what was significant about his debut with the Tigers?
    Isn't that Mark Wagner?
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

No, it's not Mark Wagner. Here's the first hint: He was a teammate of Mark Wagner for a few years.

Here's another hint: An anagram of his name reads as "ADORED UPTOWN"

I believe it is Pat Underwood.

And now .... for the extra credit....

Pat made his debut on May 31, 1979 at Toronto's Exhibition Stadium against the Blue Jays. The starting pitcher that night for the Jays just happened to be Pat's brother Tom.

Tigers won the game 1-0. Pat threw 8 1/3 innings not giving up a run and allowing only 3 hits. Dave Tobik (Ohio University) relieved Pat after Pat had given up a double to Alfredo Griffin with one out in the 9th. Tobik got Bob Bailor to fly out. John Hiller then relieved Tobik and struck out Roy Howell to pick up a save and preserve the win for Pat.

Just for the record, Tom Underwood threw a complete game that night giving up only six hits. The toughest part for Tom was probably the fact that the loss dropped his record to 0-7 at that point.

Nice one... and I like the extra credit.......

Let me know if I did ok on this one......

Good job. You are correct on all counts. That game is so memorable to me because I saw it on TV as a kid. It was one of the highlights of 1979, along with Sparky Anderson's arrival, and my first trip to Tiger Stadium.

Your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by ryors View Post
    Friend to the automaker Jim Bunning.

I was trying to find a decent Pat Underwood picture. Maybe that's why i whiffed on this one, that picture never came up in my searching. I believe he started his career 6-0 or something like that. Or was it 5-0 and he finished the season at 6-4.
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Guy in the middle.
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Dave Rozema?

Dave Rozema?
    Not Gibson's buddy, although they were teammates for a brief while.
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

I should have known that hairstyle was not Dave Rozema. I got his and Milt Wilcox's autograph at a mall in Saginaw after the '84 Series. He had a feathered hairstyle (RIP Farrah) and was very distant (aloof?) at the event. Probably having a hard night's day.

BTW, as Kirk Gibson was mentioned, the reason I referred to him in a previous post as the worst Tiger ever was because of his boorish (d**kish?) behavior with the fans at Tiger Stadium.

OK, back to the unknown Tiger...moustache....moustache.....

It is NOT Rick Leach.
    It is NOT Mike Laga.
    It is NOT Howard Johnson.

Is it Richie Hebner?

I should have known that hairstyle was not Dave Rozema. I got his and Milt Wilcox's autograph at a mall in Saginaw after the '84 Series. He had a feathered hairstyle (RIP Farrah) and was very distant (aloof?) at the event. Probably having a hard night's day.

BTW, as Kirk Gibson was mentioned, the reason I referred to him in a previous post as the worst Tiger ever was because of his boorish (d**kish?) behavior with the fans at Tiger Stadium.

OK, back to the unknown Tiger...moustache....moustache.....

It is NOT Rick Leach.
    It is NOT Mike Laga.
    It is NOT Howard Johnson.

Is it Richie Hebner?
    That's how i took your assessment of Gibson. Uh, yeah, agreed. And away from Tiger Stadium, too.

Earlier than HoJo and Laga, I'm pretty sure. Around Leach's time. He was a starter around the same time as Pat Underwood.
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Good hint. This guy was completely off my radar. 1982 was a year I spent at three seperate schools, and the Tiger teams from that year, as well as '81 (strike nonsense) are not as etched into my mind as others.

I do remember being at Tiger Stadium when Steve Kemp made his first appearance there as a White So(ck)x. Everybody had fun booing him. It was also the first time I saw those horrible SOX uniforms, and that was 1982, so it's not that big of a blank.

I just somehow chased Jerry Ujdur out of my mind like a cross-dressing cousin.

Wait.

No.

A cross-dressing cousin would be pretty hard to forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast