View Poll Results: Better pitcher?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Randy Johnson

    49 89.09%
  • Steve Carlton

    6 10.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Randy Johnson vs. Steve Carlton

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    173

    Randy Johnson vs. Steve Carlton

    Who do you have as the better pitcher?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    2,452
    The one who has the nickname "Lefty." That should say it all.
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1377/oak2jf0.jpg
    Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

    My Wantlist/Tradelist

    Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonharden View Post
    The one who has the nickname "Lefty." That should say it all.
    No, all that says was he pitched left handed and was pretty good at it.

    Personally i think Randy was the better pitcher and IMO he's the best strikeout pitcher of all time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Where all students live...nowhere.
    Posts
    8,900
    RJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carlton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,006
    I'm putting a lot of emphasis on the word "pitcher" here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    383
    Steve Carlton hasn't pitched in over 20 years! I'll take Randy Johnson.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Williamsport PA
    Posts
    3,116
    At the risk of being an old fogey...

    The fact that there are more teams now leads me to believe that the average hitter was better in Carlton's time. I know the opening of Latin America has stocked the hitters supply to the point where we can have more teams, but I am still leaning towards Carlton on this one.

    Both pitchers played thru more than one expansion... but I am still leaning towards Carlton.

    Carlton hardly ever faced the DH, but I am still leaning towards him.

    This is VERY Close, and Johnson has the better ERA+ and the better strikeout to walk ratio... but I am guessing Randy Johnson won't throw another 1,0000 innings to catch up to Steve Carlton. If he were to do that, what would happen to his rate stats?

    Randy Johnson's workload in Arizona was huge. But it lasted for what, five and a half seasons? And I will make the sweeping generalization that Steve Carlton was pitching that much for most of his career.

    I will walk the fence on this one and say Johnson was the more dominant pitcher (by a decent margin), but Carlton had the better career (but not by much).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    10,144
    I have The Unit by a comfortable margin.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

  9. #9
    Johnson's top 10, Carlton's top 15.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,727
    IMO this is no contest. Randy has been doing it for years and still continues to be dominant in his mid 40's.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    IMO this is no contest. Randy has been doing it for years and still continues to be dominant in his mid 40's.
    Carlton didn't do it for years?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  12. #12
    Johnson by a comfortable margin.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    18,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    IMO this is no contest. Randy has been doing it for years and still continues to be dominant in his mid 40's.
    I love Johnson, but he hasn't had a year with 200+ IP and a ERA+ over 120 since he was 40 years old. In his last 4 seasons, he is under 500 IP and a ERA+ below 110. Solid starter? Yup. Great for a 43-45 year old? Yup. better than Carlton? Yup. Dominant in his mid 40's? Sorry.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    At the risk of being an old fogey...

    The fact that there are more teams now leads me to believe that the average hitter was better in Carlton's time. I know the opening of Latin America has stocked the hitters supply to the point where we can have more teams, but I am still leaning towards Carlton on this one.

    Both pitchers played thru more than one expansion... but I am still leaning towards Carlton.

    Carlton hardly ever faced the DH, but I am still leaning towards him.

    This is VERY Close, and Johnson has the better ERA+ and the better strikeout to walk ratio... but I am guessing Randy Johnson won't throw another 1,0000 innings to catch up to Steve Carlton. If he were to do that, what would happen to his rate stats?

    Randy Johnson's workload in Arizona was huge. But it lasted for what, five and a half seasons? And I will make the sweeping generalization that Steve Carlton was pitching that much for most of his career.

    I will walk the fence on this one and say Johnson was the more dominant pitcher (by a decent margin), but Carlton had the better career (but not by much).
    Johnson's best 3000 inning stretch produced a 155 ERA+. Carlton's a 126 ERA+.

  15. #15
    I voted for TBU.

  16. #16
    This one goes to Johnson.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently selling New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants, Tampa Bay Rays and Washington Nationals card lots! Player lots of Tony Gwynn, Felix Hernandez, Nolan Ryan and Giancarlo Stanton! Plus a guide on how to get autographs ... for free!

    My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,390
    Blog Entries
    1
    Johnson, easily. I think Johnson vs. Grove would be more interesting.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    18,474
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Johnson, easily. I think Johnson vs. Grove would be more interesting.
    Right - is the big LQ advantage enough for Johnson to get past that string of 8-10x that Grove was the best pitcher in his league? It is close.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,557
    Depends on what you mean by "pitcher". For whatever reason, Johnson remained an effecitive strikeout artist well into his forties while Carlton was bombing out when he reached that age.

    Now, that could be because Carlton started earlier in his life, reaching the majors at age 20, while Johnson was 24 when he debuted with Montreal. However, Steve didn't have a particularly pleasant end to his career while Johnson had a good finish. For that reason, I'm going with Randy.

  20. #20
    Randy Johnson.

    By about the amount that the current 33 to 5 vote would suggest.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    4,874
    Blog Entries
    1
    Carlton had 3 or 4 outstanding seasons, and Johnson had about 8 or 9, and, besides 1972, Johnson's great years were superior. So, it really is not a very fair comparison. i think that carlton vs Schilling would be pretty interesting, however.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    5,353
    I went with Randy Johnson. Carlton vs Blyleven would be good too.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    18,474
    Quote Originally Posted by willshad View Post
    Carlton had 3 or 4 outstanding seasons, and Johnson had about 8 or 9, and, besides 1972, Johnson's great years were superior. So, it really is not a very fair comparison. i think that carlton vs Schilling would be pretty interesting, however.
    More like 6-7 outstanding seasons, but yeah, Johnson was better.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    4,874
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    More like 6-7 outstanding seasons, but yeah, Johnson was better.
    6 or 7 outstanding seasons for Johnson or for Carlton?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    18,474
    Quote Originally Posted by willshad View Post
    6 or 7 outstanding seasons for Johnson or for Carlton?
    Carlton - depends on your definition of "outstanding" I guess.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •