Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Today most cities are building seperate stadiums for their baseball and football teams. Years ago that wasn't the case. I know all the NewYork ballparks, Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Old Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium all had football games there. How about some of the other parks. I am especially curious as to whether Wrigley Field and Fenway park had football played there.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Busch Stadium used to host both the football and baseball cardinals. It also was the home of the Rams for a half of a season, until the Edward Jones (formally TWA) Dome was completed.
    Behold My Annoyingly Long Signature

St. Louis Cardinals
    American Association Champions
    1885-1886-1887-1888
    National League Champions
    1926-1928-1930-1931-1934-1942-1943-1944-1946-1964-1967-1968-1982-1985-1987-2004-2006
    World Champions
    1926-1931-1934-1942-1944-1946-1964-1967-1982-2006

pac bell hosted an xfl team (yikes!) during that sole season.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black
    pac bell hosted an xfl team (yikes!) during that sole season.
    The NFL must have been shaking in it's boots.

Quote Originally Posted by tonypug
    Today most cities are building seperate stadiums for their baseball and football teams. Years ago that wasn't the case. I know all the NewYork ballparks, Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Old Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium all had football games there. How about some of the other parks. I am especially curious as to whether Wrigley Field and Fenway park had football played there.
    Wrigley Field was the home of the Chicago Bears from 1921-70. Fenway Park was home of the Patriots (1963-67) and the Redskins (1933-36).

http://www.BallparkTour.com is an excellent source for these things -- They list not only the baseball tenants of all ballparks, but football and negro league tenants as well.

Comiskey hosted the CChicago ardinals of the NFL, and Tiger Stadium was the Lions home for many years as well -- Just to name a few.

Anaheim Stadium

Anaheim was a great baseball park , then the Rams ruined it by enclosing the stadium.

After Georgia left So Cal , the mouse did manage a major renovation to the Big A and it is a fantastic baseball venue again.

Keep football out of baseball parks and loose the astroturf.

Oh yeah, the LA Coliseum was a baseball park, too that has a little football played there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis9045
    Wrigley Field was the home of the Chicago Bears from 1921-70. Fenway Park was home of the Patriots (1963-67) and the Redskins (1933-36).

http://www.BallparkTour.com is an excellent source for these things -- They list not only the baseball tenants of all ballparks, but football and negro league tenants as well.

Comiskey hosted the CChicago ardinals of the NFL, and Tiger Stadium was the Lions home for many years as well -- Just to name a few.
    Thanks for the information.

Some great baseball parks were torn down, just so football teams could bring in more fans. It seems the whole purpose of the cookie cutter stadiums was to appease the football teams, and oh by the way you can still plat baseball there.

Some great baseball parks were torn down, just so football teams could bring in more fans. It seems the whole purpose of the cookie cutter stadiums was to appease the football teams, and oh by the way you can still plat baseball there.
    As is the case of RFK stadium.

The Washington Redskins played at both Griffith Stadium and at D.C./RFK Stadium. The Nationals will share RFK for the next three years with the D.C. United of Major League Soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hannah
    As is the case of RFK stadium.

The Washington Redskins played at both Griffith Stadium and at D.C./RFK Stadium. The Nationals will share RFK for the next three years with the D.C. United of Major League Soccer.
    Griffith Stadium had character, as I hope the new ballpark will have. RFK was just a place to play football and they can play baseball there too.

Olympic Stadium was used for many sporting events, including football. The Montreal Allouettes played their from 1976 until 1997. The Allouettes have since moved to a smaller cosier downtown stadium. They now sell out every game.

Here's are some pictures and facts about Olympic Stadium and its many uses.
    Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioguy
    Olympic Stadium was used for many sporting events, including football. The Montreal Allouettes played their from 1976 until 1997. The Allouettes have since moved to a smaller cosier downtown stadium. They now sell out every game.

Here's are some pictures and facts about Olympic Stadium and its many uses.
    Any idea where the Alouettes played before Olympic Stadium was opened?

Section 232, Row 1, Seat 24, Miller Park, Miller Park Way
    About half of the Packers home games from 1953-1993 were played in County Stadium.
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Any idea where the Alouettes played before Olympic Stadium was opened?
    For a good portion of their history they played at the stadium they play at today . It's an old Stadium owned by Mcgill university. It was built in 1916. I've been there only once but it has the best athmosphere for football in Canada. If you sit in one grandstant you see the view of the Downtown skyline, if your on the other side you face a beautiful old building, the Royal Victoria hospital. They spent a brief time at the autostade

Be sure to check out the 'pictures' link...they add to my description of the stadium.
    Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

IIRC-the expansion Toronto Blue Jays moved into Exhibition Stadium in 1977 to share the the park with the Toronto Argonauts. The stadium was built for the CFL team (with it's wider field, as opposed to the NFL) and there was a separate, detached section of seats in left field and the centerfield wall was a moveable section of chain link fencing. I'm going by memory here folks, it's been over 25 years, so if I've forgotten or distorted my facts, don't crucify me.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aa3rt
    IIRC-the expansion Toronto Blue Jays moved into Exhibition Stadium in 1977 to share the the park with the Toronto Argonauts. The stadium was built for the CFL team (with it's wider field, as opposed to the NFL) and there was a separate, detached section of seats in left field and the centerfield wall was a moveable section of chain link fencing. I'm going by memory here folks, it's been over 25 years, so if I've forgotten or distorted my facts, don't crucify me.
    Here's a photo of Exhibition Stadium's "North Grandstand" as it used to be. These stands were rebuilt in 1948.

For more see: http://www.ballparktour.com/Former_Toronto.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioguy
    For a good portion of their history they played at the stadium they play at today . It's an old Stadium owned by Mcgill university. It was built in 1916. I've been there only once but it has the best athmosphere for football in Canada. If you sit in one grandstant you see the view of the Downtown skyline, if your on the other side you face a beautiful old building, the Royal Victoria hospital. They spent a brief time at the autostade

Be sure to check out the 'pictures' link...they add to my description of the stadium.
    Great stuff, thanks.

When Candlestick Park opened in 1960,it was solely a baseball stadium.It became enclosed around 1972 to accomodate the 49ers who had played at Kezar Stadium since the teams inception in the late 40s.

Here's Candlestick in it's football configuration.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.

I enjoy reading about all those football teams who use to play in baseball stadiums. It reminds us of a not so distant past when baseball was the dominant sport in North America and football clubs were satisfied with sharing the names and the parks of the baseball team of their city. Watching a game between the NY Giants and the Boston Braves in december... Must have been something.

With Olympic stadium, Qualcomm in SD and a few others being vacated by baseball and/or football, theyre are only a handful of dual purpose stadiums left.

Dolphins stadium in Miami.
    Oakland coliseum.
    Rogers center (formerly known as Skydome)
    H.H.H. Metrodome

I believe that's it as far as regular use is concern.

Pac Bell hosts the SF Bowl and the East-West Shrine classic.
    The Insight Bowl is played at Bank one Ballpark.
    There was a Seattle bowl for I believe two years, played at Safeco.

Worth mentionning that what is considered one of the greatest football games in NFL history, 1958 NFL championship between Baltimore and the Giants was played at Yankee stadium.

BTW Tonypug, the first home of the Montréal Alouettes in 1946 was le Stade Delorimier (Delorimier Downs if you prefer), home to the AAA affiliate of a certain national league BBall team (darn, can't remember wich one...)
    Last edited by Augustin_"Gus"; 02-05-2005 at 08:20 PM.

wamby Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKIE42

Action at Fenway Park.
    October 12, 1934
    Were the Redskins still playing in Boston in 1934?

Quote Originally Posted by wamby
    Were the Redskins still playing in Boston in 1934?
    Boston Braves 1932 (Braves Field)
    Boston Redskins 1933-1936 (Fenway Park)
    Washington Redskins 1937-Present (Griffith, RFK, Redskins Stadium)

1936: After playing mediocre football most of the season, the Redskins win their final 3 games to capture the Eastern Division Championship with a 7-5 record. The stars of the 3-game Division winning streak is the Defense who allows only 6 points while the Skins out score their opponents 74-6. However, a big disappointment comes in their 30-0 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates in the next to last game of the season, when only 4,813 fans show up to watch them at Fenway Park. Owner George Preston Marshall is so enraged he gives up home field for the NFC Championship Game, choosing to face the Packers at New York's Polo Grounds. The Redskins were never really in the game as the Packers won the Championship with a 21-6 victory. The Redskins would go on to move to Washington following the season, due to lack of interest in Boston. After the Redskins departure the NFL would return unsuccessfully to Boston with a team called the Yanks that played from 1944-1948, as the city did not find a successful pro football team until the formation of the rival AFL and the Patriots in 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustin_"Gus"
    I enjoy reading about all those football teams who use to play in baseball stadiums. It reminds us of a not so distant past when baseball was the dominant sport in North America and football clubs were satisfied with sharing the names and the parks of the baseball team of their city. Watching a game between the NY Giants and the Boston Braves in december... Must have been something.

With Olympic stadium, Qualcomm in SD and a few others being vacated by baseball and/or football, theyre are only a handful of dual purpose stadiums left.

Dolphins stadium in Miami.
    Oakland coliseum.
    Rogers center (formerly known as Skydome)
    H.H.H. Metrodome

I believe that's it as far as regular use is concern.

Pac Bell hosts the SF Bowl and the East-West Shrine classic.
    The Insight Bowl is played at Bank one Ballpark.
    There was a Seattle bowl for I believe two years, played at Safeco.

Worth mentionning that what is considered one of the greatest football games in NFL history, 1958 NFL championship between Baltimore and the Giants was played at Yankee stadium.

BTW Tonypug, the first home of the Montréal Alouettes in 1946 was le Stade Delorimier (Delorimier Downs if you prefer), home to the AAA affiliate of a certain national league BBall team (darn, can't remember wich one...)
    Could you be referring to a team that played in a city that lost two teams in 1957? A team that was owned by some fat guy whose name makes me start cursing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisox73
    Here are a couple of pics of The Stick,since renamed Monster Park(!)
    yeah. the "monster" in "monster park" is for "monster cables", the electronics supply company that had the highest bid for the naming rights.

network coliseum (forever "oakland coliseum" and "the house of thrills" to us locals) on the other side of the bay hosts the oakland athletics and the oakland raiders.

As someone said earlier, when baseball was king football teams were happy to be tennants. As football became more of a focus municipalities built larger dual purpose stadiums to accomodate football teams and their larger crowds. Now as football has overtaken baseball( not in my mind) football teams have demanded their own stadiums. One of the by products of all this is we get more stadiums to talk about, and thats a good thing.

Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast