Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired Ballpark Songs and Sound Effects

Blog Entries

Tired Ballpark Songs and Sound Effects

A thread to list a song or songs, you never want to hear at a baseball game or anywhere else for that matter. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few...
    1. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
    2. 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes
    3. Celebration by Kool and the Gang
    4. Anything by AC/DC especially Thunderstruck which is ironic because once upon a time it was the Mariners' home run song and they still occasionally use a different part today, but enough is enough.
    I'm sure I can come up with more later...

"Everybody clap your hands!"

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post

This. ....................

Blog Entries
    The Star-Spangled Banner

Blog Entries
    God Bless America...enough with anthems...don't go to games to prove loyalty to my country

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    God Bless America...enough with anthems...don't go to games to prove loyalty to my country
    This, even more so than my choice. Completely agree about the anthem issue, and God Bless America is just doubling down. Baseball games aren't likely to stop the national anthem at the beginning, but let's keep the seventh inning stretch to Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Please?

Blog Entries
    I came up with a few more...
    Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (Red Sox)
    Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations (California Angels)

They don't normally play GBA at Citi Field, but they did on Sunday night. Probably because that game was shown on ESPN.
    X
    Does Mr. Met have a first name?

Blog Entries
    I can't believe I forgot the truly awful Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. The song should have been banned years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post

Yup. It might've been fun the first billion times but...

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    The Star-Spangled Banner
    It's amazing how much guff I've gotten over the years, from total strangers, for simply not standing up before the first inning. I mean, c'mon, I just sat down! And... uhhh... it's my -- here he goes -- gawd-given right as an American and, uh, paid ticket-holder aa..and obvious Keith Hernandez admirer... wow, where was I goin' with this? Mm. Oh yeah. ...to stay seated! Thank you.

Or to anything else other than perhaps the people I'm with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    They don't normally play GBA at Citi Field, but they did on Su....
    What? Are you kidding? I don't recall the last time they didn't play that godforsaken song while I was at Citi. ...No, wait. I take that back. But to say it's not, mm, a reasonably anticipated part of the Citi Field experience is, imo, slightly inaccurate with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    ....etely agree about the anthem issue, and God Bless America is just doubling down. Baseball games aren't likely to stop the national anthem at the beginning, but let's keep the seventh inning stretch to Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Please?
    Yeah, unfortunately, that's unlikely anytime soon. There's just more money in "God Bless America" and wholesale fear than there is in "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" and apple pie. Simple as that. Hey, I'm with you. If it were up to me,... My ol' man told me, don't talk politics or religion at dinner, in Bed, with strangers, or during a ballgame. "You'll have more friends," he said. It's probably sound advice, but I'll never know. /end digression

Yup, "The Star-Spangled Banner" (and "O Canada") technically renders political every beautiful baseball game before Pitch 1. Intrinsically, tho, it's just music. Boring, ugly, overplayed, hawkish music, but music nonetheless. And in fairness, that old British saloon tune with 1812 lyrics has long been a traditional part of the ballpark experience. Just don't throw your popcorn at me and we'll all be fine. And can we use the Roseanne version once in a while?

As long as "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" is not entirely foregone -- as is too often the case at Citi Field -- they can play whatever else they want.

Except "Lazy Mary". Omg, I wish Mike Piazza was never born.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Blog Entries
    The Turner Field tomahawk chant. Omg, I wish Braves fans were never born.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Daaaaaaaaay-oh.....Daaaaaaaaay-oh.....Daaaaaaaaay-oh.....

Can't we just get rid of canned walk-up music all together and go back to the organ?

Agree.

Although even the organist get play crappy songs. Remember Reg Dunlop threatening the organist about playing the "Lady of Spain"?

Blog Entries
    As an anti Yankee fan I hate Day-o from beetle juice, the rays try it and it doesn't work as well as with the Yankees. I also am I tired of Rock and Roll Part 2 by Gary Glitter, we can do better songs that get a fan response like Seven Nation Army or Zombie Nation. I agree with the Cha Cha Slide aka everybody clap your hands, cute at first now annoying. I don't know why but my last one is hit or miss depending on my mood, but the YMCA for some reason I like it one game but not the next.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Should we also remove the American Flag from all of the ballparks?

I'm fine with the national anthem. What I'm not fine with is continued post-9/11 patriotic exploitation with God Bless America and the need to tell people to stand and remove their caps while the song plays. That song is not the national anthem so that doesn't need to happen. Just like the playing of the song during the 7th innning stretch.

The Padres started playing "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" while showing the song being sung in that scene in Top Gun. Another heinous promotion by team marketing chief Wayne Partello. That needs to go away like Melvin Upton's contract.

Although these aren't songs, we need to do away with contrived gimmicky between-innings promotions, including mascot races in every city outside Milwaukee and the find the hat videos too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Can't we just get rid of canned walk-up music all together and go back to the organ?

AGREED!!! Some of the Walk-Up music is annoying!!! Teams are getting cheaper by not paying for a traditional/professional organist. I applaud those teams that still have a real organ in the press box. Not a mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by OBomb View Post
    What I'm not fine with is continued post-9/11 patriotic exploitation with God Bless America and the need to tell people to stand and remove their caps while the song plays. That song is not the national anthem so that doesn't need to happen.
    I've said many times that forced patriotism is not real patriotism. In the final seasons at the original Yankee Stadium, staff actually held chains across aisles on the lower level to prevent fans from moving around during the playing of God Bless America.

(Photo taken July 29, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X

Blog Entries
    I've said many times that forced patriotism is not real patriotism. In the final seasons at the original Yankee Stadium, staff actually held chains across aisles on the lower level to prevent fans from moving around during the playing of God Bless America.

(Photo taken July 29, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    Is that still in effect or was that an edict from the then owner, who for some reason people who know little beyond ringzzz want to put in the hall of fame.

They don't normally play GBA at Citi Field, but they did on Sunday night. Probably because that game was shown on ESPN.
    For the Mets, God Bless America is a Sunday-only tradition, then they play Take me Out..., then they play Lazy Mary. You hear more songs between the top and bottom 7th then you do on the radio driving home.

The chains would bother me.

Does that younger lady have a pen holster?

I would just like to say that I am shocked and a little dismayed by most of the previous posts
    regarding our Nation Anthem ďThe Star Spangled BannerĒ and the playing of ďGod Bless AmericaĒ.

I donít want to come off like Iím personally attacking anyone but a poster actually said they
    refuse to stand for the Anthem because they had just sat down to watch the ballgame.
    Someone said that its like forced patriotism; I think itís just being respectful. Iím not sure how
    the tradition of playing the Anthem before sporting events started but that doesnít matter.
    Call me crazy but if I hear the Anthem being played I show respect for what that song represents.
    To me itís a reminder that we are all citizens together and our loyalties to some silly little sports
    teams are not that important and that there are a lot of people who have lost their lives so we
    can enjoy things like ballgames.

The same thing can be said about the playing of ďGod Bless AmericaĒ. The reason that that song
    is played has been given but apparently the memories of 9/11 are not strong enough anymore.
    My 12 year old daughter was mortified when I read her the posts about this song in this thread.
    Obviously she wasnít even alive when all that happened but she has been taught and knows the
    reason for the playing of that song and she shows respect for the lives lost and for the Police and
    rescue workers that are working at every ballgame we attend.

These songs are considered Patriotic for a reason and they themselves do not deserve respect
    but what they represent certainly does. It is amazing to me that people canít see that.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I would just like to say that I am shocked and a little dismayed by most of the previous posts
    regarding our Nation Anthem “The Star Spangled Banner” and the playing of “God Bless America”.

I don’t want to come off like I’m personally attacking anyone but a poster actually said they
    refuse to stand for the Anthem because they had just sat down to watch the ballgame.
    Someone said that its like forced patriotism; I think it’s just being respectful. I’m not sure how
    the tradition of playing the Anthem before sporting events started but that doesn’t matter.
    Call me crazy but if I hear the Anthem being played I show respect for what that song represents.
    To me it’s a reminder that we are all citizens together and our loyalties to some silly little sports
    teams are not that important and that there are a lot of people who have lost their lives so we
    can enjoy things like ballgames.

The same thing can be said about the playing of “God Bless America”. The reason that that song
    is played has been given but apparently the memories of 9/11 are not strong enough anymore.
    My 12 year old daughter was mortified when I read her the posts about this song in this thread.
    Obviously she wasn’t even alive when all that happened but she has been taught and knows the
    reason for the playing of that song and she shows respect for the lives lost and for the Police and
    rescue workers that are working at every ballgame we attend.

These songs are considered Patriotic for a reason and they themselves do not deserve respect
    but what they represent certainly does. It is amazing to me that people can’t see that.
    I agree, shocked & dismayed.

Although this is the "Land of the free" so if you want to stay seated go ahead, stay seated and moan about this tired old song.

Someday when you mature and are able to understand all that it represents, you are still free to stand and join the rest of us who appreciate the sacrifices that have been made on our behalf and that you also benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Is that still in effect or was that an edict from the then owner, who for some reason people who know little beyond ringzzz want to put in the hall of fame.
    I was only at the new (fake) Yankee Stadium in 2009, and one game in 2012. They did not do it then.

I don't know what prompted them to start doing it in the first place, but part of the reason they COULD was because of logistics. During the rest of the game the chains were there to keep fans without tickets out of the aisles between the main aisle and the field, and it was an easy thing to have the staff get up, remove the chains, and hold them across the main aisle as shown in the photos, because the main aisle was not very wide.

There is no "main aisle" in the current building, just the concourse in back of the seating area.
    X

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast