Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SunTrust Park (new home of the Braves, 2017)

SunTrust Park (new home of the Braves, 2017)

The Atlanta Braves announced today that they are leaving Turner Field and building a new ballpark in Cobb County.

The new Home of the Braves will debut on Opening Day 2017.

The ballpark will be located near the junction of I-285 and I-75 north of the city.

From SI.com:
    What We Know (So Far) about the New Atlanta Braves Stadium
    BY TIM NEWCOMB

While we’ve grown accustomed to—and frankly quite tired of—drawn out public financing battles over proposed stadiums, the Atlanta Braves pulled off one of the biggest stadium surprises ever on Veterans Day, announcing a move to Cobb County with construction starting on a brand-new stadium in about half a year. Here’s what we know so far about the new digs:

• It will seat 41,000 to 42,000 fans, slightly less than the 49,500 Turner Field now holds.

• Expect an open-air concept.

• Construction will start in mid-2014 and it will open in time for the 2017 season.

• Atlanta has secured HKS Architects of Dallas to at least consult on the project. HKS is the firm that designed the Dallas Cowboys and Indianapolis Colts football stadiums, provided the design for the planned Minnesota Vikings stadium, and also designed the 10,000-seat Coolray Field, which opened in Lawrenceville, Ga., the home of the AAA Gwinnett Braves.

• The new stadium will sit at the intersection of Interstates 75 and 285 in Cobb County.

• But still expect an Atlanta address in the 30339 zip code.

• The new site is about 12 miles northwest of Turner Field

• The stadium will take up 15 acres of a 60-acre site that will feature ample parking and plenty of mixed-use development, everything from retail to hotels.

• The venue caters to vehicle traffic, with parking and no light rail service.

• Siting the stadium in Cobb County bucks the trend of deeply urban parks we’ve seen in Major League Baseball over the last 15 years.

• The Braves will sell naming rights for the new stadium.

• Of the $672 million pricetag, Cobb County will pay for $450 million. The Braves, who will initially pay $200 million, will also cover cost overruns.

• Turner Field, only leased and not owned by the Braves, was built for the 1996 Summer Olympics, and was turned over to the Braves after a retrofit for the 1997 season. The new stadium will also be publicly owned.

• There are 13 stadiums older than Turner Field in MLB, including Coors Field, which opened in 1995.

• Turner Field will be the newest MLB ballpark vacated.

• The newest stadium to be vacated is the 1987-opened Sun Life Stadium, which the Miami Marlins played in from 1993 until 2011. The stadium is still in use hosting football.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 11-11-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Any cost projections yet? How are they paying for it too?

Blog Entries
    As I said in the turner field section, I am interested to see what is so different than Turner field that they "have" to move.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Idk much about that area, but it looks like a suburban hell hole from birds eye. Not too friendly for pedestrians either. The parking revenue potential looks to be nice for Uncle Ted.

I gather that pre and post game entertainment options will include chain restaurants, and shopping at big the box stores that'll inevitably spring up w/ the new ballpark. You know, character places that allow people to identify with the community, while giving a sense of Atlanta's culture and history. It'll be just like Wrigleyville.

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Idk much about that area, but it looks like a suburban hell hole from birds eye. Not too friendly for pedestrians either. The parking revenue potential looks to be nice for Uncle Ted.

I gather that pre and post game entertainment options will include chain restaurants, and shopping at big the box stores that'll inevitably spring up w/ the new ballpark. You know, character places that allow people to identify with the community, while giving a sense of Atlanta's culture and history. It'll be just like Wrigleyville.
    Uncle Ted hasn't owned the Braves for 15 years. If he did this wouldn't be happening.

Blog Entries
    The Braves and Cobb County, a perfect fit.

I'm not exactly jumping for joy as I live south of Atlanta, and I find it hard to justify replacing a 20 year-old stadium. With that said, this a much better location for most season ticket holders. Turner Field is also in a run-down area of Atlanta, a fan got shot walking home from a game back in May.

IMO it was inevitable that the Braves were going to try to move to the northern suburbs, I'm just shocked that it's happening so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    The Braves and Cobb County, a perfect fit.

When the name change crusade gets finished with the Washington Redskins, the Braves and Indians will be next.

I wouldn't be surprised if this stadium move ties into a complete rebranding of the franchsie while the Native American theme is retired.

Blog Entries
    I don't get this, unless Atlanta is different than most cities, but families can't afford games anymore nor can they stay up until 11 on weeknights with their kids at games like downtown young professionals can, but again maybe they know something I don't.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Blog Entries
    My fav. quote from the home of the braves website's FAQ's:

Turner Field has served the Braves well since 1997, but it is in need of major infrastructure work, which will cost around $150 million. These upgrades are functional ones, such as replacing worn-out seats or upgrading the stadiumís lighting, and they would do little to significantly enhance the fan experience. If the Braves were to pay for additional projects focused on improving the fan experience, the additional costs could exceed $200 million.
    The numbers are more than likely inflated and they are acting like 150 million vs. what will probably be a 750 million based on other recent stadiums is a fair trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthGeorgiaBrave View Post
    I'm not exactly jumping for joy as I live south of Atlanta, and I find it hard to justify replacing a 20 year-old stadium. With that said, this a much better location for most season ticket holders. Turner Field is also in a run-down area of Atlanta, a fan got shot walking home from a game back in May.

IMO it was inevitable that the Braves were going to try to move to the northern suburbs, I'm just shocked that it's happening so soon.
    Yes, because Rays fans are ever so happy going to a ballpark on the far reaches of the metro area instead of one that is centrally located with access to public transit.

I'm sure it will work out just as peachy (pardon the pun) for Braves fans.

Suburban ballpark sites suck. Even if the stadium itself is decent. (I.e. Kansas City).
    Last edited by PeteU; 11-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Found this, it provides some insight as to what might be the real motivations: http://www.ballparkmagic.com/
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand. "
    Leo Durocher
    US baseball manager (1906 - 1991)

Wow, is this the shortest time a team has spent in a stadium? (without moving to another city, or playing in a temporary site)

Winnipeg offered the Braves a new home?

Quote Originally Posted by MC EXPOS View Post
    Wow, is this the shortest time a team has spent in a stadium? (without moving to another city, or playing in a temporary site)
    I guess if you count Exhibition Stadium as a "new" stadium (a portion of that stadium dated back to 1959, but the main baseball grandstand was built for the Blue Jays when they started in 1977), the Blue Jays only played 12 years there. If I recall correctly, Exhibition Stadium was not a temporary site in the sense that a successor stadium had already been planned, although it became evident very quickly that it couldn't be the indefinite home of the Jays.

The Twins only played in Metropolitan Stadium for 20 years, although it was a smaller minor league stadium for four years prior to that.

Arlington Stadium hosted the Rangers for 22 years, although it was a smaller minor league stadium for 7 years prior to that.

Kingdome hosted the Mariners for 22 years.

Is there any public transit to the proposed new ballpark?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Old Home of the Braves

Old Home of the Braves (1876-1914)
    South End Grounds Boston MA 001.jpg
    Home plate was under the Blue Tent and the OF walls were in the garage.
    No room for anything.
    Typical 19th Century walk to the ballpark.
    Last edited by FENWAY FRANKY; 11-11-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add data

Quote Originally Posted by MC EXPOS View Post
    The Miami Arena was built in time to launch the expansion Heat franchise in 1988. It hosted just 11 seasons of NBA before the Heat moved to the American Airlines Arena in 1999. The Miami Arena lasted another 9 years before it met the wrecking ball in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Arena

Blog Entries
    Their new website.
    http://www.homeofthebraves.com

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    The Miami Arena was built in time to launch the expansion Heat franchise in 1988. It hosted just 11 seasons of NBA before the Heat moved to the American Airlines Arena in 1999. The Miami Arena lasted another 9 years before it met the wrecking ball in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Arena
    I know that Miami Arena hosted assorted minor league teams at various points after the Heat and Panthers moved out, but what became of the land once it was torn down?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Is there any public transit to the proposed new ballpark?
    Cobb County has their own bus transit system, but as far as public transit between Atlanta and the proposed new ballpark, no. Efforts to bring MARTA Rail to Cobb County have always been met with strong resistance by residents of Cobb.
    Last edited by SouthGeorgiaBrave; 11-11-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Just a thought......The City of Atlanta and Turner Field should reach out to the Rays and become a two team city.
    They are real good and need an audience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FENWAY FRANKY View Post
    Just a thought......The City of Atlanta and Turner Field should reach out to the Rays and become a two team city.
    They are real good and need an audience.
    What makes you think Atlanta can support two teams? Lots of teams have had two stadiums/arenas and let one sit unused.

Some questions come to mind:

1. How did the Braves farm the data to compile that map showing the residences of the ticket holders? My concern would be that there could be a big difference between going by the actual person using the ticket and the person/company who bought the ticket. Lets say Coca-Cola has a mountain of tickets the buy from the Braves every year and they distribute them to employees and business partners to use. My guess is that the Braves have no way of tracking the end user of that ticket. Also, what is the liklihood that a person who gets tickets in that manner will attend the same number of games in Cobb County as they do in the current location?

2. Does anyone know the extent to which college students attended Braves games? Atlanta has the largest concentration of colleges and universities in the south. Is this new location going to make it harder or easier for them to go to Braves games? Also, how would the Braves be able to track how many college students attend games given that many of them are probably buying tickets in cash on the secondary market?

3. How was Turner funded? Given the tie in to the Olympics I wonder if they got some outside money for construction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEsasky View Post
    Some questions come to mind:

2. Does anyone know the extent to which college students attended Braves games? Atlanta has the largest concentration of colleges and universities in the south. Is this new location going to make it harder or easier for them to go to Braves games? Also, how would the Braves be able to track how many college students attend games given that many of them are probably buying tickets in cash on the secondary market?
    My guess is that college kids are not a factor, most are not old enough to drink yet, and most have limited incomes and could not afford good seats and lots of food/beverages. Just a guess since I was once a college kid who got into college baseball for free to see a top 5 baseball team every weekend play other great ACC talent.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast