Thread: artificial turf

artificial turf

Hello, I am new here. I really like this Baseball Fever site so far, it's great.

Artificial turf in professional baseball and football is a pet peave of mine. I would like to see all stadiums with a natural grass playing surface. Thankfully baseball has been trending that way for a while now, but we still have artificial turf for the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, and Twins. If the Twins get a new stadium, I hope it has natural turf.

I guess I am a traditionalist in a lot of ways for both baseball and football. They don't call it artificial turf for no reason!

I don't like the fake stuff either. It doesn't have the smell or look of grass and doesn't go as well with the smell of hot dogs and the crunch of peanut shells.

But even more, I dislike uniformity. And that's what we're headed for.

The NBA has gone to having almost all 3-level multipurpose arenas and the NFL has gone to having a "3 level sides with club seats in the middle and maybe double decked on the ends with artificial grass" look.

Baseball is on its way to something similar, with every stadium being "retro" with a semi-brick exteroir, buildings on the outside of the park, and an absolute abhorrence of artificial turf.

I enjoy seeing real home field advantages. We used to have short, tall, long or close fences, or things like Cobb's lake or the overhang at Tiger Stadium. Now that most of those have been banned, there are very few ways to create a real advantage.

Artificial turf is the way a speed team can create an advantage for itself. I don't like the stuff, but it was different, and that made baseball in the mid to late 90s and in the early 70s interesting- that there was a real variety of parks and a variety of surfaces.

1970 for instance- The Reds started 70-30 behind big sluggers like Lee May at Crosley Field. In August they moved to Riverfront Stadium, with artificial turf. They played decently there but lost the World Series. Realizing the big slow sluggers wouldn't win big in the astroturf park, the Reds offices made deals for Joe Morgan and built the Big Red Machine behind guys like Dave Concepcion (I think spelling is ok), Cesar Geronimo, Ken Griffey- all guys whose speed they were able to use to their advantage in the big plastic ballpark.

I do not like artificial turf, but I would hate to see the day when it is completely gone from baseball. The same principle as not liking the Cookie cutters or not finding Fenway Park very comfortable. But I would still hate to see every cookie cutter disappear or Fenway Park torn down. Unfortunately with new Busch this year, the cookie cutters are only a memory. Another needless park built not to be unique or interesting but for money and conformity.

Quote Originally Posted by redbuck
    I don't like the fake stuff either. It doesn't have the smell or look of grass and doesn't go as well with the smell of hot dogs and the crunch of peanut shells.
    Plus you can't get grass stains on you uniform if you dive for a fly ball or a hard liner!

Like Crash Davis said in Bull Durham, "...I believe there should be a Constitutional ammendment outlawing astroturf and the Designated Hitter."
    LOUISIANA TECH BULLDOGS #1

Any indoor stadium will have to have artificial turf. I think the new stuff, FieldTurf, is fine. It's used in quite a few outdoor football stadiums as well, including the Seattle Seahawks' stadium and (I believe) the University of Washington's stadium; I think the Dallas Cowboys added it in their semi-outdoor facility. There are others, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you who has it. Most football players have said that they actually like it a bit better than natural grass because, while it feels and plays the same as grass, it doesn't get torn up like grass does, especially in the wet.

What I think is dumb is when a team uses FieldTurf but has just the dirt sliding areas (like in Toronto). FieldTurf is much more like grass than AstroTurf and fields using it should have full dirt basepaths. The sliding areas were fine with AstroTurf because the surface was so radically different—the grip was different and the ball played quite differently (I recall seeing a fielder bounce-pass the baseball off the turf once, sort of like in basketball). The turf areas were not all that different, for practical purposes, from the dirt areas. The same is not true on a FieldTurf field. Plus, the sliding areas look stupid on a FieldTurf field.
    I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Quote Originally Posted by 1995hoo
    Any indoor stadium will have to have artificial turf. I think the new stuff, FieldTurf, is fine. It's used in quite a few outdoor football stadiums as well, including the Seattle Seahawks' stadium and (I believe) the University of Washington's stadium; I think the Dallas Cowboys added it in their semi-outdoor facility. There are others, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you who has it. Most football players have said that they actually like it a bit better than natural grass because, while it feels and plays the same as grass, it doesn't get torn up like grass does, especially in the wet.

What I think is dumb is when a team uses FieldTurf but has just the dirt sliding areas (like in Toronto). FieldTurf is much more like grass than AstroTurf and fields using it should have full dirt basepaths. The sliding areas were fine with AstroTurf because the surface was so radically different—the grip was different and the ball played quite differently (I recall seeing a fielder bounce-pass the baseball off the turf once, sort of like in basketball). The turf areas were not all that different, for practical purposes, from the dirt areas. The same is not true on a FieldTurf field. Plus, the sliding areas look stupid on a FieldTurf field.
    The field turf is definitely better than astroturf. I played football on several fields that had it in High School, and played baseball on it once. All of those were outdoor fields. Natural grass is still best for baseball, but the fieldturf is a drastic improvement over astroturf. A lot of colleges and high schools have installed it for football, my school (Louisiana Tech) is actually installing it right now in an outdoor stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg86
    The field turf is definitely better than astroturf. I played football on several fields that had it in High School, and played baseball on it once. All of those were outdoor fields. Natural grass is still best for baseball, but the fieldturf is a drastic improvement over astroturf. A lot of colleges and high schools have installed it for football, my school (Louisiana Tech) is actually installing it right now in an outdoor stadium.
    It especially makes sense for college and high school teams given that they have more limited budgets than pro teams. Any sort of artificial turf costs less to maintain than natural grass.

Quote Originally Posted by 1995hoo
    It especially makes sense for college and high school teams given that they have more limited budgets than pro teams. Any sort of artificial turf costs less to maintain than natural grass.
    Its expensive at first, from what ive heard it costs about $300,000 to put in (not sure if that includes price of the actual turf) but youre right, it requires almost no maintaince like painting lines, cutting, watering, etc. Probably pays for itself in a few years.

I hate the new fake stuff they use at football stadiums. Usually filled with rubber particles for padding. When it's raining they stick to your skin and your uniform.

Bring back the bright green stuff. No joke. It's dangerous and like playing on concrete but at least it didn't try to be as good as grass.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg86
    Its expensive at first, from what ive heard it costs about $300,000 to put in (not sure if that includes price of the actual turf) but youre right, it requires almost no maintaince like painting lines, cutting, watering, etc. Probably pays for itself in a few years.
    I read that back in 1995 when UVA ripped out the AstroTurf in Scott Stadium (the football stadium) and returned to real grass, the cost of the project was said to be around $500,000. Part of this could have been that the artificial field was crowned whereas the grass field is not, so they had to regrade. Be interesting to know for certain.

I'd like to replace the grass in my front and back yards with FieldTurf. Get rid of all those blasted weeds!

Today's AstroTurf has never looked better and with severe droughts occuring in California and the like, it's simply more practical.

CA4LxRXWYAABuYE.jpg

Bj1dYlIIMAAGykV.jpg

My old dude team played on a synthetic infield this summer.

eastern.jpg

While it was a hot July Sunday morning - it was even worse on the turf. Overall review for 35+ year old baseball players was that it was awful. One guy even threw up from the heat on the turf.

I read that modern AstroTurf plays much better than before and is less dangerous. Not sure if that is true though.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    My old dude team played on a synthetic infield this summer.

eastern.jpg

While it was a hot July Sunday morning - it was even worse on the turf. Overall review for 35+ year old baseball players was that it was awful. One guy even threw up from the heat on the turf.
    Let me guess, your team wasn't wearing shorts? But that's for another thread. Gotta stay hydrated!