Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AT&T Park / SBC Park / Pacific Bell Park

AT&T Park / SBC Park / Pacific Bell Park

I tried looking for an official thread on arguably the best ballpark in baseball and couldn't find one. Perhaps due to the numerous name changes? What are your thoughts/reactions to this park?

I went for 3 games back in 2002 and sat in different areas. The first game, they were playing the Cubs in a day came so I could only get a standing room only ticket. I just wandered around most of the game but mainly hung out by the Cable Car in right field. Loved the fountains and fog horn going off when the Giants hit a HR. It was a super hot day so feeling the mist of the fountains was awesome.

The next game was two days later and a night game against Pittsburgh. I was sitting down the third base line in right field about 20 rows up from the visitors bullpen. Good seats there as well. Oh yeah, Bonds hit his 600th home run that night.

Next game I sat in the small section in right field right above the knothole wall. Decent view from there.

I didn't like the fact that you needed a ticket to walk around the entire stadium (they asked for your stub if you wanted to walk around in the outfield area), but perhaps this has changed.

It would have been nice to sit in the upper deck behind home plate to get the nice view of the bay and all of that, but that will have to wait until next time.

My favorite concessions were of course the garlic fries and then the SF style clam chowder that comes in a sourdough bowl. YUM!!

This park wouldn't be as cool if it didn't have the ocean view. That said, I really enjoy watching games here. The people are friendly, unless you're wearing Dodger Blue. The concessions are pretty good. I too like the Gordon Birsch garlic fries, and they have a nice selection of beers if you don't mind paying $8-$10.

I bought SRO tickets last time I went, but we ended up sitting in a couple of empty seats right behind home plate. If you get there early enough, they don't check. (At least our usher didn't.)

Next time I'm going to sit in the first row in the upper deck behind home plate. The views up there are so much better than the lower level.

Another Twins fan here who has gone to AT & T. My wife and I went in 2007 as part of our 10-yr anniversary trip to the San Fran area. Loved it. Gorgeous ballpark. Expensive of course--I paid $9 for an Anchor Steam on tap and my wife paid $15 for a crab sandwich (gulp), but who cares, it was worth every penny and we hope to get back there some day. And the transportation system in SF is amazing.

If I'm not mistaken, the area of land that AT&T is on is pretty similar in size to the area that Target Field will take up.

AT&T is a very nice park. In fact the only thing I don't like about it is the "naming rights fee" on my cell bill every month. J/K

I'm going to go up there this next coming season in my quest to see all the ballparks in the majors.

That, and I've always wanted to experience the rivalry IN San Francisco. I doubt the fans will be TOO bad, it's SF we're talking about.

Do they let adults go on the Coca-Cola slide?!

Quote Originally Posted by YieldtoTwins View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the area of land that AT&T is on is pretty similar in size to the area that Target Field will take up.
    I found the comparison...about half way down.

http://www.twinsballpark2010.com/bas...Footprint.html

Thanks again to Rick at Twinsballpark2010.com.

Blog Entries
    No offense to anyone, but I don't like when someone says the only good thing about the park is blank or if they didn't have blank it wouldn't be good. IMO thats the point of a stadium to capitalize on the blanks. PNC has the downtown/bridge view, Dodger stadium has the moutains, Camden has the warehouse, and at&t has the water.

Back on topic, I love the coke bottle and glove it makes it interesting, I love how they were one of the first to bring back a standing room only section, and I definatly loved their all star logo the best in the past few years!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    I doubt the fans will be TOO bad, it's SF we're talking about.

go to a dodgers-giants game...

I have only seen AT&T Park once, from the outside during the offseason. Oh well maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by boisemarinersfan View Post
    AT&T is a very nice park. In fact the only thing I don't like about it is the "naming rights fee" on my cell bill every month. J/K
    Private financing of ballparks is never a bad thing. AT&T Park is easily in the top 3 of MLB ballparks.

As an easterner I can only judge by what I see on TV, and I very much like the way that AT & T Park looks. Much of this does have to do with the old adige of "location, location, location."
    The whole naming rights issue which has been discussed in this thread reminded me of something that I recently heard, and I don't know how well it is known. According to Michael Kaye on his ESPN radio show, the naming right for this stadium were originally offered to Ralph Lauren. Why, what's his brands name? If he had agreed to purchase the naming rights the San Francisco Giants would now be playing home games in The Polo Grounds.
    To me that was great forethought on someone’s part.

agree

I agree with many of the positive aspects of this stadium. I love the view of the Bay Bridge as well as the overall view of the bay. The stadium hs excellent sight lines. It was def my fav of the 17 parks I have visited. The only thing I do not like about this park is the entrance....you walk right in and are greeted with a ramp (I think the reason for this may be the fact that the field is on ground leve).

I may get accused of being a troll, but I think that Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T Park is one of the more overrated parks in baseball. The reason? If you are going to the park to actually see the game, the quality of the sightlines for a new ballpark are relatively poor, especially given that the ballpark doesn't have too many seats or suites. For a guy who usually has to sit in the upper deck, I always have second thoughts about buying tickets to a game at AT&T.

For further illustration of how distant the upper deck is from the playing field, here is the cross-section of AT&T Park compared to the cross section of the proposed A's ballpark (from a Fremont City Council presentation - thanks to Marine Layer's A's ballpark blog)

Interesting

To each their own.....I think I may have been in awe at everything else to really focus on the game itself..I know bite my tongue....

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFan View Post
    To each their own.....I think I may have been in awe at everything else to really focus on the game itself..I know bite my tongue....
    My father taught me to look all over the stadium when attending a game. He said pay attention to the plate at all times, but don't just stare at the infield. Look all over the stadium. For us, it was the less scenic Yankee Stadium. So I spent most of the time as a child in between pitches look at the grass, black, the frieze, monument park, and all the fans everywhere. I could only imagine what the child version of myself would do at The Phonebooth. I'd probably stare at the water more than I would the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by pudgie_child View Post

Thanks for the comparison.

upper deck

very small canopy, but I guess a larger one isn't necessary in the Bay Area

AT&T Park

Last edited by mrakbaseball; 02-10-2009 at 01:49 PM.

AT&T Park

perhaps the 2nd best ballpark on the west coast behind only SAFECO

Great ballpark! Plus it was privately financed!

A's park...

too bad it'll never see the light of day...

this is definitely the best park on the west coast.

The Good: That was where Ichiro Suzuki, OF, Seattle Mariners hit the only inside-the-park home run in the history of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game (July 10, 2007).

The Bad: That's where Barry Bonds played for so many years and left the smell of taint on the whole stadium that still lingers today. He was on steroids.

AT&T Park

Thank you private financing. AT&T Park is very nice. Solid #2 after SAFECO. Job well done. Mr. Magowen.

Quote Originally Posted by pudgie_child View Post
    I may get accused of being a troll, but I think that Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T Park is one of the more overrated parks in baseball. The reason? If you are going to the park to actually see the game, the quality of the sightlines for a new ballpark are relatively poor, especially given that the ballpark doesn't have too many seats or suites. For a guy who usually has to sit in the upper deck, I always have second thoughts about buying tickets to a game at AT&T.

For further illustration of how distant the upper deck is from the playing field, here is the cross-section of AT&T Park compared to the cross section of the proposed A's ballpark (from a Fremont City Council presentation - thanks to Marine Layer's A's ballpark blog)

I believe it's unfair to compare AT&T with a ballpark that, unfortunately may never exist. It would be better to compare cross sections with an existing ballpark, before labeling it "overrated". Cisco is nothing but a dream.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast