Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan Stadium

Metropolitan Stadium

Courtesy of Photocard & Lowell Prescott.

ehh one multi purpose to another. finally were getting a park worth watching baseball in

The Met was a good stadium, but I've never seen it because it was gone before I was even born. In my opinion, I think the Twins got copped out in the move to the Metrodome. Sure, it's an indoor stadium, but it's like playing baseball inside your house - it doesn't work.

The trade-off certainly benefits their brother team, the Vikings, in my humble opinion. They didn't have to play in the sheer cold during the winter months, because of the trade-off, and the weather was (or is) usually harshly cold in December.

This stadium was actually a better home of the Twins than the Metrodome, and the Metrodome is a dump of a baseball stadium. For American professional/college football, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post

Way better than a dome that's for sure, consarnit!

Quote Originally Posted by placount View Post
    ehh one multi purpose to another. finally were getting a park worth watching baseball in
    Ooh, where?

I'd love to see the Twins get a great park some day. Maybe in 25 years after they dump the one under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Ooh, where?

I'd love to see the Twins get a great park some day. Maybe in 25 years after they dump the one under construction.
    You're such a buzzkill Sean.

Those are some cool pics of old Met stadium C60

That was a funky old ballpark, the Met. One of the "in-betweens"--after the classical era, but before the concrete donut multipurpose era.

It bore a strong resemblence to a smaller version of Mile High Stadium. The exterior looked somewhat unfinished, or alternately somewhat temporary, like one of those rollercoasters at the fair that they assemble in a couple of days and then disassemble once the fair ends. But it was baseball out in the open and in the elements, and the Twins are now worse off in the Dome.

I grew up after it closed and was demolished, and this being the days before the internet and quick access to all the pictures in the world, I didn't even know what the place looked like for the longest while. When I finally saw a picture, it was much different than what I expected. But there was always a sense of mystery to the place prior to that.

And to think, now it's just a big mall. Well, we will soon again see what outdoor baseball in April in Minnesota will be like. I'm very curious.

Here are some pictures of "The Met" that you can see:

Replica

Football configuration

Drawing of Metropolitan Stadium

How do those look?

I have a soft spot for the Met, not for its "architecture", which is a 0 on a scale of 1-10 (gotta love the ghetto hospital/abandoned warehouse exterior look), but for its engineering.

Opened in 1956, the stadium was the first ever American stadium to feature a complete cantilever deck design. Both the mezzanine deck and the upper deck were a 100% cantilever, meaning that even the last back rows of each deck were suspended over the lower deck--quite daring and innovative for its time. Consider that Candlestick Park, opened 4 years later, used posts to support its upper deck. Also, the football left field upper deck, added in 1965 was a very aggressive cantilever (75%).

I heard the stadium was neglected by its owners (The local stadium authority), and by 1981, the upper deck was actually condemmed due to unsafe railing conditions.

The Met as it appeared in 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I heard the stadium was neglected by its owners (The local stadium authority), and by 1981, the upper deck was actually condemmed due to unsafe railing conditions.
    yea thats true.

as a side note, my grandfather owned a bitunimous company(asphalt) and they had a contract to do the parking lots and part of the payment was season tickets for viking games. so my mom tells me of being taken out to bloomington in the cold to watch the vikings and hating it. its a shame that she didnt enjoy it because she was watching the golden era of viking football with bud grants purple people eaters.

I was actually there once in 1980. A's-Twins. Billy Martin, etc. I still have a photograph of the marquee outside advertising the upcoming 'Black and Blue' tour. I also have a photograph of my brother and myself standing in front of the Rubik's Cube motif that was the exterior. It may look silly now, but it was once of its time. As was the haircut I sported in the photo. Go go Godzilla.

If anyone has pics of the scoreboard from the MET id like to see them C60

Quote Originally Posted by Candlestick60 View Post
    If anyone has pics of the scoreboard from the MET id like to see them C60

Photo courtesy of Lowell Prescott.

Solair Wright...Do you happen to have a larger version of that last "Drawing of Metropolitan Stadium"?...or can you direct me to one?

Quote Originally Posted by hardprom View Post
    Solair Wright...Do you happen to have a larger version of that last "Drawing of Metropolitan Stadium"?...or can you direct me to one?
    I believe there is a store called Field of Dreams that has paintings and drawings of Met Stadium. My folks have one framed in their basement.

yea that store is in the mall of america that oddly stands on the sight of the stadium

Thanks for the tip...I went to their website, but it's under construction (apparently), so it looks like I'm out of luck. I live in Idaho, so I don't think I'll be slipping over to their store anytime soon...
    Last edited by hardprom; 07-03-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Bumped for hartman74.

I always that Metropolitan Stadium was interesting in that it resembled those English Soccer stadiums that they were built/expanded in phases and looked all disjointed, and each of the stands had a different name. All the stadiums we had here at the time (1970's-80's) were complete and uniform. Now, if you look at it, the retro baseball and the new NFL stadiums all have that disjointed stands look with one set of stands higher than the other one, etc.

These undated photos because of the bunting, look like they were taken in 1965 during either the All-Star Game or the World Series. Could be Opening Day, but the Twins (prior to the Homerdome) were never known for drawing huge attendance numbers.

Photos from The Sporting News "Take Me Out To the Ball Park" (1983)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sflnyc; 10-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Looks like for a while, the light towers down the third base line were actually located inside the seating area, as opposed to behind them. But then it looks like they moved them back later on in the stadium's life.

The aerial in this postcard was taken the same day as the previous photos.

The ground level shot? Could be any of 1000+ games.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    Looks like for a while, the light towers down the third base line were actually located inside the seating area, as opposed to behind them. But then it looks like they moved them back later on in the stadium's life.
    I never noticed that. Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by hardprom View Post
    Thanks for the tip...I went to their website, but it's under construction (apparently), so it looks like I'm out of luck. I live in Idaho, so I don't think I'll be slipping over to their store anytime soon...

Theres one in Indianapolis, if that helps.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast