Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Busch Stadium [II] / Civic Center Busch Memorial Stadium

Busch Stadium [II] / Civic Center Busch Memorial Stadium

Here are a selection of photos I took of the demolition of Busch Stadium II. One of my favorites is the first one. Most times I went down to take photos it was a nice, clear blue sky. It was very sad going down there to take pictures. They demolished it pretty fast considering they wrecked it the conventional way instead of implosion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a few more. The first is of me on November 24th, 2005. The last two are December 7th, the night the final section came down. I didn't stay to see the last part fall. There was quite a crowd there that night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another cookie cutter stadium bites the dust.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Busch Stadium II sign

Would anyone have pictures from the second St. Louis Busch Stadium of the neon "Cardinal," which stood atop a neon baseball, which contained a digital clock? The bird "flew" after appropriate actions by the home team. It even finished by tipping his cap!

I know it disappeared in favor of a "Diamondvision" in the early '80's. (quite possibly the first "Diamondvision")

Thanks, TL

I'll see your sign and raise you-----

Although it was the best stadium the cardinals ever played in, the sign you referred to was nothing compared to the scoreboard at the first busch stadium [nee' Sportsmans' Park]. The redbird holding a bat was giant, in neon, and hit a large neon baseball across the top of the scoreboard whenever a cardinal hit a HR. then, the eagle in the large anheuser busch sign atop the scoreboard flapped its wings in a shower of small multi-colored light bulbs. It was better than Bill Veeck's exploding scoreboard later installed in comiskey, and was the first [and still the best] scoreboard in mlb to do something other than just tell the score and the count [both of which it did very well, and showed the score and pitchers for all sixteen teams, inning-by-inning].

Quote Originally Posted by savior View Post
    Although it was the best stadium the cardinals ever played in, the sign you referred to was nothing compared to the scoreboard at the first busch stadium [nee' Sportsmans' Park]. The redbird holding a bat was giant, in neon, and hit a large neon baseball across the top of the scoreboard whenever a cardinal hit a HR. then, the eagle in the large anheuser busch sign atop the scoreboard flapped its wings in a shower of small multi-colored light bulbs. It was better than Bill Veeck's exploding scoreboard later installed in comiskey, and was the first [and still the best] scoreboard in mlb to do something other than just tell the score and the count [both of which it did very well, and showed the score and pitchers for all sixteen teams, inning-by-inning].
    It just so happens that I have a great picture of that.
    Sorry it's not color...BUT, you can see all the lighting fixtures/tubes etc.
    Cheers!
    ~B

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    It just so happens that I have a great picture of that.
    Sorry it's not color...BUT, you can see all the lighting fixtures/tubes etc.
    Cheers!
    ~B
    I wonder if this is the same one?

a jersey landmark...

Busch Stadium (1966) certainly not getting much love on this board, even though it may have been the best of the cookie cutters (especially in it's later years. Other than the demo pics above, there are no other pics of the stadium in it's own "official" thread. Well here's a couple more....

1963 model

1964 construction site

Next three from 1965 construction

From the Sporting News...a 1966 aerial with the new park highlighted via some pre-photoshop techniquesENLARGE

1967 ENLARGE

1968 Musial Statue dedication ENLARGE

1980's ENLARGE

Rain delay 2002 (by kyrobkin/flickr) ENLARGE

That "sporting news highlighted" stadium is Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. Guess they all did look alike.
    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Thanks.....I should have looked closer. A quick search led to my excuse. Though still not a good one

I just noticed that I never posted my cad drawing of Busch II in this thread.
    So I finally updated my drawing to show the final configuration before the
    Cardinals left for Busch III.

Pre renovation……

After the renovations that added the grass field, reconfigured lower deck, relocated
    bullpens and closed off upper deck…..

And with the full roof…..

June 1965

Largest size

July 1965

Largest size

December 1965

Largest size

Arch recently "topped out", at bottom

Largest size

Largest size

Arch at right

Largest size

https://picasaweb.google.com/Oberleh...AOberleDrawer1
    Last edited by alpineinc; 11-28-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Great photos alpine. I really like the July 1965 pic.

I want more!

Saturday, August 24, 1968. Cards knocked out Bob Moose early, but Gibby falters late, giving up 6 runs in the 7th, 8th and 9th (3 earned), and Redbirds bow to the Bucs, 6-4. The big blow, a 3-run bomb by Willie Stargell in the 7th.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...240SLN1968.htm

1600x1570

1541x1570

1600x1598

1600x1560

Scoreboard:
    TEAM PHOTO NIGHT
    TUES AUG 27TH--CARDINALS VS METS

FANS MAY OBTAIN FREE 8 X 10
    COLOR PHOTO OF 1968 REDBIRDS

Full count on Roger Maris, at bat (not seen); would ground out.

1600x1600

Curt Flood

1600x1578

Freeway pic, Flood shot both reversed at original source
    https://picasaweb.google.com/rriescher/OldTimeBaseball
    Last edited by alpineinc; 12-15-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Great pics alpine. Looking at that last pic, it just didn't look right. It's flipped. I've flipped it. It's looking north west from the elevated freeway that passes right next to Busch III. In the correct orientation, Busch III is located in the left portion of the photo.

00306_s_8ac95rbc70391.jpg

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have any pics of the what they would have in renovations had they not built Busch III?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast