Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Here is a nice photo of mets manager casey stengel and his wife before the last mets game ever at the polo grounds on 9-18-1963. the phillies beat the mets 5-1 in that game.

PHOTO FROM EBAY LISTING
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

This thread should show pictures of New York's Polo Grounds through the years. From its wooden beginnings to the sad demolition in 1964.

Extension of the Grandstand, 1923.

From above.

I'll get more up in a bit, but I think this is a nice start.
    Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 10:20 AM.

From the bluff/above.

Its really a shame the ornamental friezes weren't kept - pre 1923.

Unsure of the date.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.

The Mays catch in the '54 Series.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Question Wooden Grounds Question!

Does anybody know the specific year when the bleachers were added in the outfield?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1
    I have the original. I'll email it to you right now.

No clue when they were added. My guess is sometime right before the fire?

Yankee Stadium is more of my speciality.
    Thanks Richard! Woo hoo!

About the bleachers - of all the photos I've seen of the 1905-11 Polo Grounds, I'd say about 80% feature the bleachers, so I'm guessing it was closer to the stadium's beginnings when they were added, rather than towards the end. But that's only a guess.

You could be on to something there. I haven't seen too many pictures of the Polo Grounds before the fire so this is definately not subject I am familiar with yet. But I am learning more all the time.

Another question: What was the deal with the clover-shaped infield?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1
    From the bluff/above.
    Here's another of those interesting photos that shows a blueish tinge to the roof facade! Compare the facade color with the green of the rest of the ballpark (clubhouse)

???

Blue?

Green?

Turquoise?

hey Richard, I was just looking at that photo you sent me. One nugget I discovered was that they cut the grass around the words "NEW YORK" in between the first base line and the stands, and on the other side you can see they did the same thing only in chalk for the visitor's city.

Also the batter looks like he's wearing a jacket or heavy sweater.

Cool stuff!

I noticed that about the blue too it even looks different compared to the seats in the upper deck.

I am going to have to look at the picture I sent you again though because I haven't noticed those things.
    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 01-21-2007 at 10:34 PM.

The Shot Heard Round the World..... I believe this photo was taken by a fan... who had a camera with a maximum of TWO images. One was taken the inning earlier, and he took this one with the other. Incredible. The dotted line is the path of the ball.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Thomson crossing the plate.... That's Jackie Robinson unable to leave the field, or making DARN sure that Thomson touches every base. Probably the latter.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Giants at the Mets... a good look at what the hitter saw when looking out to the mound. The center field marker reads 475. It often read 483 during the Giants Years. There is some speculation as to what the measurement referred to. The base of the wall (in shadow). The Eddie Grant Memorial, the clubhouse wall with the windows?

There was also NO ground rule as to where a ball had to be hit to center field to be a Home Run. Over the Green wall entirely? Just off the windows? Hit the wall at all? Notice there is no line painted on the wall anywhere, like so many other parks had painted on the outfield walls.

No problem though... NO batted ball EVER hit the clubhouse so wall so prominent in this photo. In fact, only four balls were ever hit into the Center Field Bleachers. Luke Easter in a Negro League game, then Joe Adcock. Finally Lou Brock and Hank Aaron on CONSECUTIVE days in June 1962.
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 01-22-2007 at 05:07 PM.

The PG in 1921. Looks like bleachers to me... but the famous double deck stops at the foul line in left, and stops just past the foul line in right.

Gonna love this thread... my new fav on BBF.

The Legendary Stan the Man Musial at the Polo Grounds... with Casey Stengel.

The only Bullpens in FAIR territory in all of baseball..... it took quite a shot to reach them!

Date not known.... the foul poles must have looked so close to the batter that they could reach out and touch them....

The absolutely HUGE outfiled.... and the clover infield gone.

Yes.... that is Yankee Stadium....... but look at the top of the Photo across the Harlem River, it's the PG. I painfully regret that in my only visit to Yankee stadium, I did not look across the River to at least see the Polo Grounds site. Residential buildings "The Polo Grounds Towers" are there now. Not particularly nice or desireable iirc.

This is getting fun! Love the PG.

The famous "overhang" of the second deck in left field. It hung out a whopping 21 feet!! With the foul pole at 279... it is estimated that a pop fly hit right down the line at the right trajectory, would only have to go 251 feet to nick the upper deck facade, making it the shortest HR in the modern era.

A sad one.... (hands Donald a Kleenex)

Never saw this one until now... another demolition shot.

Postcard... Polo Grounds, 1937
    Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Might as well get this one overwith....

The "famous" (at least on BBF) Blue Photo, speculating that the Mets painted the park Blue. This is just a colorized version of a Black and White Photo discussed in another thread on BBF.

The Mets did apply some paint, but it was not blue. It may have been a lighter green, despite the color photo from earlier in the thread, and this one.

Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast