Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrigley Field / Cubs Park / Weeghman Field

Wrigley Field / Cubs Park / Weeghman Field

I couldn't find any Wrigley Field threads. If there are, it was buried. I found this interesting photo from 1927. Apparenty the upper deck wasn't finished during the season and the caption said that only the 3rd baseline was double decked. But the vantage point from the photo looks to be taken at the upper deck level along the 1st base line. But you can clearly see along the left edge of the photo that the upper deck stops just before it turns behing home plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks to me like that picture is taken looking down the third base line. You can see the screen in the bottom right of the shot, which would support what I'm saying.
    WAMCO!

Yes, I can see that. I guess I should have worded what I said differently. It was taken from the first base side, right after the grandstand curves around home plate. The information about the photo said that during that season the upper deck was only down the 3rd base line, but the vantage point that the photo was taken looks to be at the level of the upper deck.

The original roof was still in place down the RF line. That photo pretty much shows that the edge of the roof lined up with the upperdeck railing.

Think 'early crosley field':

So, when they kept extending the upper deck that runs down the 3rd base line in the photo I posted, they got rid of the deck that is in your photo? Because the pitch of the upper deck in your photo looks different.

um...my pic is of crosley field.

it was meant to show that the photographer in your piccy was on the rim of the old roof taking a pic across the homeplate area of the double-decked section...and that the edges of the two elements were flush together.

this is early wrigley:

Just replace the LF line roof with the modern second deck and its roof, and keep the old roof on the RF line (and possibly that pressbox looking deal), and booyah....technically only the 3rd base line was 'double decked' like the caption says.

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan View Post
    I couldn't find any Wrigley Field threads. If there are, it was buried.
    I'm going to bump this thread with an unusual Wrigley Field photo I found on Flickr.

(Photo taken January 9, 2008. Link to original source: here)

Taken from the subway that runs behind the apartments on Sheffield (or is it Waveland?), it shows two of the buildings across the street from Wrigley Field being gutted.

You can just barely see the lights on the third base stands above the smaller of the two buildings in this view.

Are the buildings themselves landmarked? Not just these two, but any or all of them?
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

They're probably being rehabbed like the ones around them with seating on top, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I'm going to bump this thread with an unusual Wrigley Field photo I found on Flickr.

(Photo taken January 9, 2008. Link to original source: here)

Are the buildings themselves landmarked? Not just these two, but any or all of them?
    That's Sheffield Avenue you're seeing. And...no, none of the apartment buildings across the street from Wrigley Field are landmarked. There is a firehouse on Waveland avenue, though, that I believe is landmarked.
    Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Wrigley Field / Cubs Park / Weeghman Field

cant find that many older pictures of wrigley field (chicago).
    i believe in the cubs

Here you go.

More pics ...

A couple more ...

Aerial view from the mid-1970s ...

July 27, 1929

Some webfinds ...

Some more ...

the panoramic shot was awesome locke!

Wrigley Field 1927

In 1927, Wrigley Field was in the midst of a two year project to double-deck its grandstand. The third-base side was completed before the 1927 season, while the portions behind home plate and along the first-base side were completed prior to 1928.

Here are a few more pictures taken during that 1927 season:

Wrigley is a great ball park!

I've only been there once, but it was truly a great experience. I'm going to have to get back there again soon. I loved the neighborhood, the "grandstands" across the street, and most of all the stadium itself. What a gem!

Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast