Thread: Angels' ballpark negotiations in Tustin hitting the two-year mark

Angels' ballpark negotiations in Tustin hitting the two-year mark

In February of 2014, it was reported in L.A./Orange County media that the Angels had begun negotiations with the City of Tustin to build a ballpark on the site of the decommissioned MCAS Tustin (nee MCAF Santa Ana).

This was the base plan prior to the Angels expressing interest in building a new ballpark at the site:

tustin.jpg

reoriented:
    tustin_clockwise_43_degrees.jpg

The Orange County Register reported that the initial parcel in question was at the western corner of the base.

Tustin_ncp4gi-angelstustin0930.gif

The Register reported earlier this month that negotiations are still ongoing via an awkwardly-worded update in an article largely focused on the city's pot ban:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...marijuana.html

Hopefully city planners have come to their senses and realized that the best location for a stadium at the base would be at the eastern corner, closer to the Tustin Metrolink Station (obviously, such a change would require renegotiation with the other developers already engaged with the city).

tustin_ballpark_site_satellite.jpg

I'm not sure if this is going to happen or not, but 2016 will be an interesting year for the Angels' future in Orange County.

Blog Entries
    2 questions. 1 should we be worried about a move anytime soon? How far away is this from the current stadium?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    How far away is this from the current stadium?
    It is 8-10 miles southeast of the current venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    2 questions. 1 should we be worried about a move anytime soon? How far away is this from the current stadium?
    I believe the Angels can leave Anaheim in a window that starts this year and concludes at the end of 2019, which means (if they decide to exercise their escape clause) a new ballpark would need to be ready for the 2020 season.

Blog Entries
    I hope the Angels stay at Anaheim Stadium. Tustin? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    I hope the Angels stay at Anaheim Stadium. Tustin? No way.
    Anaheim Stadium needs a lot of upgrades... New video boards or a whole new scoreboard period...maybe a reincarnation of the BIG A! Also, as much as I like Disneyland, the Thunder Mountain Fountain needs to go. It also needs a new coat of fresh paint. Rust is visible on the exposed metal girders and there are places in that stadium that really suggest neglect. Dodger Stadium, Anaheim's older cousin, is in much better condition and they have really kept up that place and it's over 50 years old. Anaheim Stadium is just over 50 and the Disney band-aid can only hold up for so long. Maybe a new stadium would be worth it. I also know that the City of Anaheim is reluctant on some issues that Arte has.

Blog Entries
    What all did they did in the late 90s renovation? Just cut out the seats and reform the outfield? If that's the case I have no problem with them wanting a new one.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Don't care what they do as long as no public money is involved.
    27/40