Thread: Who are the best baseball players in the world?

Who are the best baseball players in the world?

After the 2009 world baseball classic, the introduction of more foreign players in the Majors, the growing interest in Japanese baseball and the more wide coverage of baseball in others countries, I started to think who are the best baseball players in the world regardless of league. Who would be you number one pick or picks?

For me number 1 has to be Ichiro. He can create runs better then anybody, a above average defender and the most consistent batter. I been watching the last 5 MLB games for Ichiro and I just thought to myself nobody can make something happen on their own they way he can. The most recent game I saw, down by 1, 2 outs in the 5th inning, Ichiro comes to bat, most players here would rather hit the ball as hard as they can to get a extra base hit. Not Ichiro he does a light tapper gets on base, steals 2nd, the very next bater gets a infield ball but the defender is so worried about ichiro he does not make a good play. And ichiro scores. Without a doubt the guy I want in my lineup.

Johan Santana would be next for me, this season his ERA has been under 2.00, all but 3 games this season he has had less then 3 runs scored heading into the 6th but sometimes his team messed up. Last season he could have had 11 wins before the all star game but again the bullpen failed. He pitched last season on 3 days rest (even though I think pitchers are too well treated) and got a major win when the mets needed it. In my opinion he is the most confident starting pitcher on the mound.

Mark Teixeira a great defender in a key position because he makes the whole infield better. A big bat and a imposing figure in the batter box.

Iwakuma, he showed me he can pitch in tight games, has great control and a smart pitcher. After living in Japan and watching him play up close it just furthered my conviction that he is a elite pitcher.

Blog Entries
    How can you forget Pujols? He's 29 and, while he's not the defender Ichiro is, he has way more power and plate discipline, and can compete with his average. I admire Ichiro, but he's not in Pujol's class. Teixiera isn't bad, but he pales compared to Albert.

Yu Darvish is playing well again in Japan, and I'd like to think he at least belongs in the conversation.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Don't agree with you about Ichiro.
    While I was sceptical about Ichiros HOF chances (because of late start, Postition, one dimensional hitting-mostly singles) I now think he is on the way to the HOF.

But when it comes to creating runs other players like pujols are way more effective

http://www.rototimes.com/article/200...ed-2008-Review

Blog Entries
    Pujols is the best. I like Evan Logoria and Joe Mauer also. Ichiro is amazing. He will be the only baseball player in the Japanese Hall of Fame and American Hall of Fame.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Pujols is the best. I like Evan Logoria and Joe Mauer also. Ichiro is amazing. He will be the only baseball player in the Japanese Hall of Fame and American Hall of Fame.
    I'm rather sure he'll be the first to do so. One way or another, there will be others. Ichiro in Cooperstown opens the valid argument that he isn't the best Japanese league player, which, when compared to Oh, is true. That argument won't open the door immediately, I'm sure, but I'm not convinced that it won't wind up resembling the drip of water from a lake seeping through a dam, only to eventually burst through. Even if that doesn't happen, so long as Japanese players put in so many years in Japan before coming over (and the fact the Japanese Hall may well choose to make room for its native sons who do well in MLB), I think someone else from Japan will eventually join him. It could be within a decade of Ichiro, it could be more--but my money is that it will happen within the next 50 years, probably a few times.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

I agree Pujols is one of the best players around, but I personally prefer Teixeira at first. Again my opinion, but the reason I take ichiro over pujols is that on the basepaths Pujols is not as effective, though he can hit HR and create RBI mainly due to his position in the batting lineup, I feel that ichiro in batting for average is superior as he never fails to make contact and not only that he controls very well were the ball goes. I think pujols is a once in generation player but I would prefer ichiro over him and because I like teixeria defensive I will take him at first base.

The reason i didnt put darvish is that even though he pitches well in Japan he has struggled against foreign batters. Korea worked him pretty well in his second start in the WBC, He gave up a comfortable 2 run lead in the WBC while walking two players which if ichiro hadn't saved him it would have been a very different ending for Darvish. Also he struggles a bit against some of the big bats of japan, though is ERA is under 2.00 I think once he gets a bit wiser he will be the world's best pitcher but no doubt maybe in 2 years he will be at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    How can you forget Pujols? He's 29 and, while he's not the defender Ichiro is, he has way more power and plate discipline, and can compete with his average. I admire Ichiro, but he's not in Pujol's class. Teixiera isn't bad, but he pales compared to Albert.

Yu Darvish is playing well again in Japan, and I'd like to think he at least belongs in the conversation.

Blog Entries
    You know which of the three has the highest career MLB average? Pujols, at .334 (Ichiro .332 and Teixiera .289). The oldest is definitely Ichiro, at 35, while the other two are in their age 29 season. Who's got the best career on-base percentage by nearly 50 points? Pujols, at 426 versus Tex's 378 and Ichiro's 377. Best career slugging percentage? Pujols again, by a wide margin, 627 versus Tex's 546 and Ichiro's 433. Best career OPS+? Need you ask? Pujols, 171 to Tex's 136 and Ichiro's 117. I know Ichiro outclasses these two badly in defensive value, but not that much. Tex and Ichiro are wonderful players, but they're simply not in Albert's class.