• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Let's Go Mets!
    NY/Staten Island Yankees!
    • May 2008

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
    Murphy should be dumped because he is a liability in the field and should be a DH if he ever finds his stroke again. There is just no place to hide him in the field. He is, without a doubt, one of the worst fielders I have ever seen take the field for the Mets.
    Agree on all points.

Murphy lucked out when the "fancy play" he made against LA last night became an out. I'm talking about blindly flipping the ball to first from behind his back. I didn't see anything clever about it. The ball could have wound up just about anywhere, with all runners advancing. Very high schoolish.
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM.
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

• theAmazingMet
      There IS a "we" in team
      • May 2005

I must be the only one left who believes in Murph. I still think he is a ballplayer. He and Evans are both raw and were rushed up last year. At best they should have been just about getting ready for their first call-ups around now. I think both need to play, especially now. Let them learn now while the team needs the hands and while there are no better options. We will have a better handle on their potential then. Yeah Murph is a train-wreck in the OF but he is servicable at 1B for now.
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• dmbfan
        • Sep 2006

I don't normally post here, because, as a Mets' fan, I grow tired of other Mets' fans who suggest trading the 1973 version of Willie Mays for the 2009 version of Albert Pujols. The reality is that only unless your team plays in the Bronx, your team will not have an All-Star at every position. From my perspective as a fan, the problem with the Mets as many of you have pointed out is that the Mets are playing guys in positions that they are not accostumed to playing. For example, Murphy is playing LF and 1B, when by trade he has played 3B throughout his career. And, the Mets experimented with him at 2B during the Arizona Fall League. Also, Evans is a 1B by trade but is now forced to play in the outfield. This Mets' team reminds me of the Yankee teams of the 1980's, when the Yankees had the face of the franchise (Mattingly) surrounded by over-prices, past-their-prime players (Barfield, Bell, etc). With the Mets, they have the face of the franchise (Wright) surrounded by players who are near the end of their careers or playing out of position. This is not the year for the Mets to win the World Series. Personally, I would love to see the Mets return to player development and bring talent up through the system and then add key players as needed to fill the holes (see 1986 Mets as a guide). Just my two cents.

Comment

• Bklyn'55
          • Oct 2008

I love the people who have given up on Murphy. Maybe he is a bum, but can he play a year at least before a decision is made? And why is he not in the lineup tonight? We don't want Tatis' bat out of the lineup? Geez.

And to an earlier poster... I'm sorry but neither Schneider nor Castro are good defensive catchers. Santos, who we found off the scrap heat, is. And because he has been a pleasant surprise we don't have to wonder who will be our catcher next year. Fast forward one year from today and we'll be asking why anyone thought this guy Santos could be an everyday catcher.
          Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

• tomzpc
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Bklyn'55 View Post
            I love the people who have given up on Murphy. Maybe he is a bum, but can he play a year at least before a decision is made? And why is he not in the lineup tonight? We don't want Tatis' bat out of the lineup? Geez.

And to an earlier poster... I'm sorry but neither Schneider nor Castro are good defensive catchers. Santos, who we found off the scrap heat, is. And because he has been a pleasant surprise we don't have to wonder who will be our catcher next year. Fast forward one year from today and we'll be asking why anyone thought this guy Santos could be an everyday catcher.
            I don't think that people have given up on Murphy. The problem IMO is that they should have never handed him a job out of spring training in the first place. The guy is an absolute butcher in the field (he was at 3B too) and should have been down in AAA from the get-go learning to play the OF, or 1B, instead of learning it in the majors. The Mets could have added Ibanez, Dunn or Abreu to play LF for a reasonable deal. I think that Murphy's poor performance at the plate is a related to his inability to play the field.

I do agree however that at this point Murphy should be playing every single day at 1B. Jerry Manuel's insistence on playing Tatis is mind boggling.

Comment

• tomzpc
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              I'm not trying to be funny or rip Yankee fans should any be reading, but didn't they all the front runners switch over to the Yankees by the mid 90s? I think its more a sign of the times or a function of the change in media coverage. I forgot all about Gardenhire. Wasn't he platooning with Backman and wasn't there some young SS at that same 82/83 time that didn't quite pan out?
              Gardenhire came up in the early 80's, spent a few years with the team and then was never heard from again as a player. He was a below average fielding shortstop who couldn't hit a lick.

Comment

• NYMets523
                Retired User
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                Golly gee ! Thank you for this post !
                We just can't get enough of your joyless pontificating, criticisms and unknowledgable, arrogant opinions.
                At least you're consistant.
                Way to go ! Keep up the good work !

He is exibit A of what drives people away from the Mets Forum at BB-F.
                If you're going to insult, at least use proper spelling and grammar.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• whoisonit
                  yhc
                  • Feb 2008

I forgot all about Gardenhire. Wasn't he platooning with Backman and wasn't there some young SS at that same 82/83 time that didn't quite pan out?
                  Are you thinking of Brian Giles ?, or maybe Jose Oquendo ? Btw, the Oquendo trade to St Louis was one of Cashen's only fails.

Comment

• PVNICK
                    • Jul 2007

Are you thinking of Brian Giles ?, or maybe Jose Oquendo ? Btw, the Oquendo trade to St Louis was one of Cashen's only fails.
                    I forgot about Giles but I was thinking of Kelvin Chapman who I think platooned with Backman.

Comment

• whoisonit
                      yhc
                      • Feb 2008

I forgot about Giles but I was thinking of Kelvin Chapman who I think platooned with Backman.
                      Oh wow, I forgot all about him. Never liked him because he had the same name as the guy who murdered John Lennon.

Comment

• mandrake
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
                        Gardenhire came up in the early 80's, spent a few years with the team and then was never heard from again as a player. He was a below average fielding shortstop who couldn't hit a lick.
                        You're right. But he is one helluva manager !

And I remember him running Pete Rose over. A couple of days after that play, I saw a Rose interview where he said he loved 'that kid's attitude'.

I would take Gardenhire as Mets manager today. Heck, I'd pick him up at the airport !!!!

Comment

• tomzpc
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                          You're right. But he is one helluva manager !

And I remember him running Pete Rose over. A couple of days after that play, I saw a Rose interview where he said he loved 'that kid's attitude'.

I would take Gardenhire as Mets manager today. Heck, I'd pick him up at the airport !!!!
                          I would LOVE Gardenhire as manager. Jerry Manuel is awful.

Comment

• whoisonit
                            yhc
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Originally posted by tomzpc View Post
                            I would LOVE Gardenhire as manager.
                            Sure, but he's my second choice. His old platoon partner is out there and he's the best ML manager without a job. Wally Backman.
                            This brings us back to what mongoose said in the TS. I'll never happen and the reason why is the basic problem with the francise.

Comment

• ReyesOfHope
                              Team Veteran
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                              I must be the only one left who believes in Murph. I still think he is a ballplayer.
                              Nope. You are not the only one. Despite his struggles I continue to be very impressed by the way he handles himself at the plate.

Comment

• ReyesOfHope
                                Team Veteran
                                • Feb 2009

Sure, but he's my second choice. His old platoon partner is out there and he's the best ML manager without a job. Wally Backman.
                                This brings us back to what mongoose said in the TS. I'll never happen and the reason why is the basic problem with the francise.
                                People generally stick with names that are the most obvious, but there is another name that would appeal to many Mets fans. He goes by the name of Crazy Horse.

One of the memorable characters from the 1970s is carving out a second career as a minor league manager.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X