Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 2,901 to 2,909 of 2909

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

  1. #2901
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    When Fred dies and the Mets go to Jeff, this franchise will collapse.
    Two things came to mind after reading that sentence:

    1) Hasn't it already been collapsed?
    2) I wish it would fully collapse because we need to rid of the scum

  2. #2902
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    5,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Two things came to mind after reading that sentence:

    1) Hasn't it already been collapsed?
    2) I wish it would fully collapse because we need to rid of the scum
    I think Fred can rein in Jeff, now. Once Fred is gone, there will be no stopping Jeff. Even if Fred doesn't get involved in the day to day stuff, there is always the chance that someone like Sandy could say "I'll tell your daddy" if Jeff gets out of hand. When Jeff is King, as Nelson Doubleday warned us a decade ago, it will be Katy-bar-the-door.

    I think Alderson has kept the franchise from collapsing to the Islanders level of incompetence, but I wonder if Sandy would even be here if Jeff was alone at the top.

    We can only hope that there are a lot more skeletons in Jeff's closet. People have joked that Jeff was born on third base, yet he thinks he hit a triple. I am hoping he gets picked off third base.
    Last edited by mandrake; 09-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.

  3. #2903
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    589
    Unbelievable...

    There is something to be said about how you raise your children. As we can see in this sorry exhibit of lack of sensitivity and maturity Fred might have coddled Jeff so much this kid never knew what accountability is before a series of public chastises.

    For those of you who didn't know, Jeff is the one who introduced/associated Madoff to Fred (he was friend with one of his sons)... We are going to learn a lot about Fred's tolerance level with the failed assumption that has been his son. Hopefully he doesn't lose his health over it.

    Considering how they are fans of taking the easy way out I am quite surprized they did make CitiField into a bandbox from the beginning.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

    Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

  4. #2904
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    Unbelievable...

    There is something to be said about how you raise your children. As we can see in this sorry exhibit of lack of sensitivity and maturity Fred might have coddled Jeff so much this kid never knew what accountability is before a series of public chastises.

    For those of you who didn't know, Jeff is the one who introduced/associated Madoff to Fred (he was friend with one of his sons)... We are going to learn a lot about Fred's tolerance level with the failed assumption that has been his son. Hopefully he doesn't lose his health over it.

    Considering how they are fans of taking the easy way out I am quite surprized they did make CitiField into a bandbox from the beginning.
    Quit differentiating between Fred and Jeff. The biggest difference is Fred's probably smarter and Fred's undertaker dad taught Fred how to maintain an effective social facade and conceal his real objectives. Fred hijacked half the team from Doubleday shortly after Orosco's glove hit the ground in 1986 and ruined the franchise immediately.

    Notice how this article restates years of horrible Wilpon ownership that columnists have been astoundingly indifferent to up until now:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-can...015709001.html


    MLB can take stand NFL didn't in vetting Jeff Wilpon accusations with severe potential consequences
    Jeff Passan
    By Jeff Passan 17 hours ago Yahoo Sports

    A lawsuit Wednesday alleged that Jeff Wilpon, the chief operating officer of the New York Mets, harassed and later fired one of his senior vice presidents because he didn't agree with her pregnancy. If this is true – if these disgusting, abhorrent acts of misogyny receive even one iota of confirmation – one of Bud Selig's final acts as commissioner must be to rid Major League Baseball of this nepotistic fraud once and for all.

    Selig, or his successor Rob Manfred, must do this because baseball needs to tell the world it is a safe place for women. That its top executives won't scoff and sneer and bungle the issues that face women every day like the NFL did the Ray Rice case. MLB shouldn't do this as a reaction to Rice; it should because it is the right thing to do. Whether it's a left to the jaw or a barrage of dehumanizing insults, a system that allows any kind of mistreatment toward women is broken.

    Baseball likes to consider itself a progressive sport, dating back to Jackie Robinson's breaking the color line and through today, with Billy Bean serving as an ambassador to the LGBT community. Women occupy a number of high-ranking positions in baseball. One such woman worked as a senior vice president for the Mets. Her name is Leigh Castergine, and she ran ticket sales for the Mets until Wilpon fired her three weeks ago after demeaning her for nearly a year with churlish comments about being pregnant without being married, according to her lawsuit.

    The idea of a Wilpon playing moral superior – of someone from the family that profited off the Ponzi scheme Bernie Madoff used to cripple lives holding himself in such esteem – dovetails with the stories of social and emotional incompetence that have chased him during his years running the Mets. It takes a remarkable level of ineptitude to make Jim Dolan look like the more competent of the New York sports scions.

    For years, Selig's soft spot for the Wilpon family has allowed him to overlook their need for a loan to stay afloat amid the Madoff chaos, their mismanagement of a jewel franchise into the sort that operates like a low-revenue pauper, their public flubs that made #LOLMets a thing. Selig enabled the Mets knowing majority owner Fred Wilpon planned on gifting the franchise to Jeff, an underqualified bully who never would have sniffed sports-franchise ownership were he not bequeathed his last name.

    Now MLB faces this reality: Jeff Wilpon sits on the board of directors for MLB Enterprises and MLB Network. The former group procures national broadcasting, sponsorship and licensing deals, and the latter is the public face of the sport. It's one thing to have a reprobate in ownership; it's another to give him a position of power in rooms where billion-dollar deals are negotiated.

    Does a company really want to do business with an entity that confers power on a man who allegedly told a Mets employee he is "old fashioned and thinks [Castergine] should be married before having a baby"? A man who told her that "when she gets a ring, she will make more money and get a bigger bonus"? A man who, in front of a room of executives, laid out two rules for dealing with Castergine, according to the lawsuit: "Don't touch her belly and don't ask how she's doing; she's not sick, she's pregnant"?...



    For years the Wilpons have ruined the team, looted the coffers, pillaged the surrounding neighborhood, used deceit to get pretty much everything they have. It says a lot about our current society that the press only demands their removal after this incident. Why now? Why not last week? Last year?

    Obviously I agree Jeffy's actions were egregious, but where the hell were columns like this the last 28 years?

    Something's messed up when heisting and ruining the franchise, driving hundreds of neighbors out and taking their land, netting 9 figure profits from Madoff with almost no punishment, etc. are ignored and it takes this firing to finally hear a peep from media about this ownership.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  5. #2905
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Quit differentiating between Fred and Jeff. The biggest difference is Fred's probably smarter and Fred's undertaker dad taught Fred how to maintain an effective social facade and conceal his real objectives. Fred hijacked half the team from Doubleday shortly after Orosco's glove hit the ground in 1986 and ruined the franchise immediately.

    Notice how this article restates years of horrible Wilpon ownership that columnists have been astoundingly indifferent to up until now:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-can...015709001.html


    MLB can take stand NFL didn't in vetting Jeff Wilpon accusations with severe potential consequences
    Jeff Passan
    By Jeff Passan 17 hours ago Yahoo Sports

    A lawsuit Wednesday alleged that Jeff Wilpon, the chief operating officer of the New York Mets, harassed and later fired one of his senior vice presidents because he didn't agree with her pregnancy. If this is true – if these disgusting, abhorrent acts of misogyny receive even one iota of confirmation – one of Bud Selig's final acts as commissioner must be to rid Major League Baseball of this nepotistic fraud once and for all.

    Selig, or his successor Rob Manfred, must do this because baseball needs to tell the world it is a safe place for women. That its top executives won't scoff and sneer and bungle the issues that face women every day like the NFL did the Ray Rice case. MLB shouldn't do this as a reaction to Rice; it should because it is the right thing to do. Whether it's a left to the jaw or a barrage of dehumanizing insults, a system that allows any kind of mistreatment toward women is broken.

    Baseball likes to consider itself a progressive sport, dating back to Jackie Robinson's breaking the color line and through today, with Billy Bean serving as an ambassador to the LGBT community. Women occupy a number of high-ranking positions in baseball. One such woman worked as a senior vice president for the Mets. Her name is Leigh Castergine, and she ran ticket sales for the Mets until Wilpon fired her three weeks ago after demeaning her for nearly a year with churlish comments about being pregnant without being married, according to her lawsuit.

    The idea of a Wilpon playing moral superior – of someone from the family that profited off the Ponzi scheme Bernie Madoff used to cripple lives holding himself in such esteem – dovetails with the stories of social and emotional incompetence that have chased him during his years running the Mets. It takes a remarkable level of ineptitude to make Jim Dolan look like the more competent of the New York sports scions.

    For years, Selig's soft spot for the Wilpon family has allowed him to overlook their need for a loan to stay afloat amid the Madoff chaos, their mismanagement of a jewel franchise into the sort that operates like a low-revenue pauper, their public flubs that made #LOLMets a thing. Selig enabled the Mets knowing majority owner Fred Wilpon planned on gifting the franchise to Jeff, an underqualified bully who never would have sniffed sports-franchise ownership were he not bequeathed his last name.

    Now MLB faces this reality: Jeff Wilpon sits on the board of directors for MLB Enterprises and MLB Network. The former group procures national broadcasting, sponsorship and licensing deals, and the latter is the public face of the sport. It's one thing to have a reprobate in ownership; it's another to give him a position of power in rooms where billion-dollar deals are negotiated.

    Does a company really want to do business with an entity that confers power on a man who allegedly told a Mets employee he is "old fashioned and thinks [Castergine] should be married before having a baby"? A man who told her that "when she gets a ring, she will make more money and get a bigger bonus"? A man who, in front of a room of executives, laid out two rules for dealing with Castergine, according to the lawsuit: "Don't touch her belly and don't ask how she's doing; she's not sick, she's pregnant"?...



    For years the Wilpons have ruined the team, looted the coffers, pillaged the surrounding neighborhood, used deceit to get pretty much everything they have. It says a lot about our current society that the press only demands their removal after this incident. Why now? Why not last week? Last year?

    Obviously I agree Jeffy's actions were egregious, but where the hell were columns like this the last 28 years?

    Something's messed up when heisting and ruining the franchise, driving hundreds of neighbors out and taking their land, netting 9 figure profits from Madoff with almost no punishment, etc. are ignored and it takes this firing to finally hear a peep from media about this ownership.
    The best thing for anyone who is a Met fan is that this story is now has some national attention. Hopefully it snowballs into holy hell for the Wilpons.

  6. #2906
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    5,620
    Does this guy ever take a decent picture? I know it is probably my imagination, but I always think that he looks like a full blown nut !

    And of course, there was the picture of Jeff doing his charity painting. Classic. Would it be asking too much if a few Mets fans could be on the jury this time?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #2907
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    5,620
    Bud is still kissing Fred's ring.... http://online.wsj.com/articles/a-sal...ers-1410917366

    He also emphasized the importance of building a rich farm system, stressing that plenty of franchises win consistently without the luxury of a large budget. He singled out the St. Louis Cardinals, who seem to the make the playoffs almost every year without spending, as he put it, "like drunken sailors."

    The Mets, meanwhile, will likely finish below the .500 mark for the sixth consecutive season, tied with the Houston Astros for the longest such streak in the majors.


    Memo to Bud, the St Louis Cardinals have a much bigger payroll than the NY Mets.
    2nd Memo to Bud: the St Louis Cardinals have a $14 million per year TV contract . Your team, the Brewers, has a $12 million per year TV contract.
    3rd memo to Bud: your tiny market Milwaukee Brewers, have a payroll $20 million more than the NY Mets .

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...-tv-landscape/

    Bud is an 'enabler'. I hope the new commish shows he has a set.

  8. #2908
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    2,960
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/...-social-media/


    Mets
    Mets Fans Catch Curious Change To Team’s Logo On Social Media
    September 16, 2014 12:14 PM

    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Nothing to see here. Not anymore, anyhow.

    The New York Mets have gone back to the tried-and-true official logo on their social media accounts after fans went a-Twitter over a short-lived change.

    Some fans caught the understated edit to the logo’s skyline on Monday, noting the United Nations Headquarters was gone, replaced with the angular Citigroup Center. Citi, of course, owns the naming rights to the Mets’ home ballpark.


    Complicating things: the building hasn’t been owned by Citigroup for some time. And according to Paul Lukas of Uni-Watch.com, the Mets uploaded the edited logo to Facebook nearly a year ago.

    “So this logo has definitely been floating around for a while, although it’s not clear where or how or to what extent it’s been used,” Lukas wrote.

    The Mets denied making any official alterations to their logo, but that didn’t stop fans from reacting harshly once the team reverted to its original avatar.

    “Caught in the act,” one person wrote.

    Another said: “Tried to pull a fast one and got caught…… Please just sell the team already.”

    Others took it as an opportunity to comment on the state of the franchise as a whole.

    “I like it, ” a fan wrote, “now just go and get a hitter that can actually hit and improve the middle part of the bullpen.”



    Reminds me of this episode:


    I'm sure changing the Mets' official logo was discussed with Citibank's marketing people at some point. Anything for money: that's our Wilpons.

    Chico's Bail Bonds ought to take over naming rights to the stadium.


    It'll give the Wilpons the chance to create even more branded jerseys for fans to buy.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  9. #2909
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,965
    Blog Entries
    4
    Pretty weasely, though I must say a,l I noted at first glance was the change from TM to R.

Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •