Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126
Results 3,126 to 3,145 of 3145

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Yes, I have to be honest on that question.

I do think there are GMs in baseball who could do better than Alderson within the same budget parameters - and also frankly do a better job without mocking the fans he says are necessary to produce a bigger budget.
    Well your entitled to think that but I seriously doubt anyone else would have made a positive impact thus far. Since he has been here I think they cut between $50MM -$60MM off of the payroll, and somehow they are expected to compete. With that said I think they can compete on some level this year despite not spending nearly enough on a stick.

I also didnt condone his comments so there is a seperation between the two.

If Alderson is sucking so bad, and the owner really wanted to win then the owner would have fired the GM for lack of performance, but apparently Alderson is performing the way Fred and Jeff want him to perform.

So you guys can all knock the the GM, but his boss seems to be ok with the job he is doing.

So what does that tell you?
    Last edited by Paulypal; 02-03-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Well your entitled to think that but I seriously doubt anyone else would have made a positive impact thus far. Since he has been here I think they cut between $50MM -$60MM off of the payroll, and somehow they are expected to compete. With that said I think they can compete on some level this year despite not spending nearly enough on a stick.

I also didnt condone his comments so there is a seperation between the two.

If Alderson is sucking so bad, and the owner really wanted to win then the owner would have fired the GM for lack of performance, but apparently Alderson is performing the way Fred and Jeff want him to perform.

So you guys can all knock the the GM, but his boss seems to be ok with the job he is doing.

So what does that tell you?
    I think you know where I stand on the Wilpons. They need to be the focus because they're responsible. During the Wilpon era GMs have been shields to take the blame for decisions that originate at the top.

Still, Alderson's made just 12 trades in 5 years. The only one at the big league level was McHugh for EY jr. As you know that's a trade I wouldn't have made. All he's done is draft for 2016 or so and keep the team's better talent in the Minors until they're 25 so the Wilpons won't have to pay them. He's almost literally done nothing - except mock middle-class Mets fans.

Almost all the team's improvement is a result of players Omar Minaya drafted. Going on 5 years it's striking how little Alderson has contributed.

He's arrogant, slippery and compliments the Wilpons perfectly.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I think you know where I stand on the Wilpons. They need to be the focus because they're responsible. During the Wilpon era GMs have been shields to take the blame for decisions that originate at the top.

Still, Alderson's made just 12 trades in 5 years. The only one at the big league level was McHugh for EY jr. As you know that's a trade I wouldn't have made. All he's done is draft for 2016 or so and keep the team's better talent in the Minors until they're 25 so the Wilpons won't have to pay them. He's almost literally done nothing - except mock middle-class Mets fans.

Almost all the team's improvement is a result of players Omar Minaya drafted. Going on 5 years it's striking how little Alderson has contributed.

I dont disagree with a word you said.

With that said the subject was I dont think another GM would have done more. Another GM would have the same boss as Alderson does. Snake like personality aside the contribution of the GM was going to be minimal during this period.

If the Wilpons wanted a more active GM they would have fired Alderson 3 years ago. They got what they want, and they are his boss. This includes keeping talent in the minors to delay arbitration and FA.

The bottom line is this - If the Wilpons wanted to win they would have increased the budget and tell Alderson "have at it" or Alderson would be fired. The Wilpons dont want to win and the GM is a reflection of the company mantra.

Allow me to rephrase before I am corrected by Wlpons cheering section - The Wilpons would love to win - they just dont want to do what is needed to win.

Mongoose- MLB.com's top 100 prospects for 2015 include 5 Mets.
    1 was signed in 2009 during Minaya and the other 4 by Alderson's group (including that trade). They are between 21-23 years old. So we'll see them in the big leagues from 2017 to 2019 at the latest. I'll bet you we see Matz, Syndergaard, Plawecki, Conforto and Nimmo before then though. Hope some of them get spring training invites.

Mongoose- you're right on an apples to apples comparison for the first 4 yrs of Alderson vs. Minaya.

From 2005-2008 Minaya drafted and promoted 4 Mets players to the big leagues:

Pelfrey- drafted 2005, debuted 2006, age 22.
    Niese- drafted 2005,debuted 2008, age 21.
    Parnell- drafted 2005, debuted 2008, age 21.
    Murphy- drafted 2006, debuted 2008, age 23.
    All but Murphy retained their rookie status the next year.

From 2011 to 2014 Alderson has drafted many players but there have been no debuts on the Mets as far as I can tell. Perhaps 2015 will be the year, we'll see.

Blog Entries
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2102282

Per article:
    “The Wilpons and Mr. Saul Katz — the people who say they don’t care about the team are sorely misguided,” Ojeda said by phone, while boarding a flight to the Bahamas. “These are the biggest Mets fans you will meet.

“Last I checked, Fred is not the general manager. Last I checked, Jeff is not the general manager. Last I checked, Saul is not the general manager. So the people they’ve put in those positions are ones who have failed, and what have they done? They have tried to make changes, bring in the right people.”

Something has to be said for the way that Ojeda defends the Wilpons.... It goes to show how they aloof they are and oblivious to how bad they are being misguided by this Idiot-GM. Aldy should not never get another GM job after this.

That being said it does seem very obvious that the profit margins Aldy brings in is a big source of this blinding effect. They are still sorely at fault; but at least this SOLIDIFIES my suspicion that the GM is behind all the controversial mentalities of this franchise that has disgusted and dismayed much of the fan base and Aldy is gasoline to fire that is the ownership-fan base relationship.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post

Per article:
    “The Wilpons and Mr. Saul Katz — the people who say they don’t care about the team are sorely misguided,” Ojeda said by phone, while boarding a flight to the Bahamas. “These are the biggest Mets fans you will meet.

“Last I checked, Fred is not the general manager. Last I checked, Jeff is not the general manager. Last I checked, Saul is not the general manager. So the people they’ve put in those positions are ones who have failed, and what have they done? They have tried to make changes, bring in the right people.”

Something has to be said for the way that Ojeda defends the Wilpons.... It goes to show how they aloof they are and oblivious to how bad they are being misguided by this Idiot-GM. Aldy should not never get another GM job after this.

That being said it does seem very obvious that the profit margins Aldy brings in is a big source of this blinding effect. They are still sorely at fault; but at least this SOLIDIFIES my suspicion that the GM is behind all the controversial mentalities of this franchise that has disgusted and dismayed much of the fan base and Aldy is gasoline to fire that is the ownership-fan base relationship.
    No wonder Ojeda was fired.....how dare he attack the pon-pon club !

Ojeda takes issue with all the playoffs talk when they’ve yet to put together a winning season.

“But if the message is the same, that will be detrimental. Because the message is all this positiveness. The reality is six years under .500.”

“They need to calm down with the contender, postseason — ‘we’ve got eight guys that are going to win 20 games,’ and blah blah blah. We’ve got to calm down now. Just let the optimism build in the Mets fans, and don’t overextend your reach at this point. Just play the games, and see what happens.”

Ojeda went onto say that most Mets fans are in the know and very intelligent, and that they can see what’s going on. He suggests that the team stop blowing smoke and start playing some winning baseball on the field and not in soundbites.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post

Per article:

LMAO -- I have bridge I would love to sell you.

Ojeda saying that they love the Mets and they arent the GM is just lip service. Bobby Ojeda is just not burning a bridge with the signature at the bottom of his SNY check.

Has Alderson been a great GM here...well obviously not. Is he to blame for the below .500 seasons. Thats laughable.

Anyone who blames the state of the Mets on anyone but the owner is either one of two things:

1) someone with a financial link to the Wilpons
    2) a complete idiot

Fred, Jeff and Saul care so much about this team that they allow Alderson to continue to fail despite there great desire to win. What a bunch of B&ll$&it. I have said this several times before - If Alderson wasnt doing the job that Wilpon wanted he would be fired like any other employee.

Ojeda is lying his ass off that they couldnt come together on money.... it was because he was candid and outspoken. Period.

Some people read an article of WHAT THEY WANT TO READ, and they cant help themselves. All common sense goes out the window.

If anyone thinks that the state of the Mets was/is Minaya's fault, Aldersons fault, Steve Philp's fault....etc etc then your just not paying attention.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 02-04-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Mongoose- you're right on an apples to apples comparison for the first 4 yrs of Alderson vs. Minaya.

From 2005-2008 Minaya drafted and promoted 4 Mets players to the big leagues:

Pelfrey- drafted 2005, debuted 2006, age 22.
    Niese- drafted 2005,debuted 2008, age 21.
    Parnell- drafted 2005, debuted 2008, age 21.
    Murphy- drafted 2006, debuted 2008, age 23.
    All but Murphy retained their rookie status the next year.

From 2011 to 2014 Alderson has drafted many players but there have been no debuts on the Mets as far as I can tell. Perhaps 2015 will be the year, we'll see.
    If you look at it as simply philosophical differences between Alderson vs. Minaya you'll never understand what's happening.

The contrast between them can best be understood by looking at what the Wilpons were doing strategically during each GM's tenure.

When Minaya was hired he was charged with "winning now". The Wilpons were hustling a regional sports network and trying to swindle fans into an all-season-ticket-holder business model in a radically downsized stadium. Players were rushed through the system. The development of top prospects like Pelfrey and Carlos Gomez was mishandled. Everything was thrown into bullying fans into exponentially more expensive full season plans.

After their Ponzi scheme collapsed and the 2009 season ticket holders took a bath, it seems the model changed. The Wilpons were going to drain as much as possible from SNY while spending as little as they could get away with on the team. In my opinion all resources have been geared towards synchronizing a resurgent team with construction of the mall. This gives the Wilpons most of a decade to drain a fortune from the team under the pretense it's all part of "The Plan".

Alderson had the most credibility of available candidates to bamboozle fans into accepting this.

In each instance the handling of the Minor League system served a particular strategy.

Regarding Omar and development of the system: Remember that with all the free agent signings he generally had lower picks to work with than Alderson. Many of Omar's best successes have been with lower round picks like Murphy, Duda, deGrom, etc. He and his team of scouts and development people knew how to spot talent.

Sometime last week, the idiot owner of the Knicks and Rangers made a fool of himself (again) when he sent some email blasting a fan. There was no rush to defend Dolan, no rationalizing his stupidity. I did not see fans supporting him etc. I am a Rangers fan who agrees that the Dolans pair are buffoons and I could care less who slams them.

Now, if that was the Wilpons, a few people here would rush to defend them and act like people were attacking their immediate family. Getting any email from Fed or Jeff is a badge of honor.

A friend of mine just called me and offered me some comp prime tickets to the Rangers on Sunday.(against the blue Jackets???) The defending Cup finalists, fresh off beating the Isles last night, are a big draw and while it is fun going to a NHL game the hassle of driving to Manhattan, tolls, gas, parking, etc...even with COMP tickets ...I find myself preferring to watch the game at home. Even though this friend of mine used to get us into one of the sky boxes at the pre-renovated Garden ( at the time he worked for the NY TImes).

Now if people choose to stay home instead of seeing the Mets at Citi, they are considered not to be as loyal fans as the person who pays for 81 games. If the Mets were to somehow get to the WS or even the post season, I will watch them from the same exact place I watched them in 2006, and 2000....my living room.

A while back there was a discussion, mainly between myself and Doug on here. I had brought up that the cashless tolls installed at the Henry Hudson Bridge was a practice run for the East River Bridges. Guess what...I think I will be proved right. But even I did not see the proposed $8 toll to cross 60th street in Manhattan. Unreal.

While I think the Mets could win 87 games and could possibly make the post season, I will do it from the TV or the radio. I may try to see them in Pittsburgh, (no tolls on their bridges) but if NYC seems intent on keeping middle class folks out of the city, maybe I shouldn't fight city hall.

Since the Mets, who drew 2,148,808 in 2014 , have already seen a 19% sales increase they wont miss me at Citi. I'll just avoid the post game shows on SNY since Negative Nancy (Ojeda) won't be on the air as a killjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Sometime last week, the idiot owner of the Knicks and Rangers made a fool of himself (again) when he sent some email blasting a fan. There was no rush to defend Dolan, no rationalizing his stupidity. I did not see fans supporting him etc. I am a Rangers fan who agrees that the Dolans pair are buffoons and I could care less who slams them.

Now, if that was the Wilpons, a few people here would rush to defend them and act like people were attacking their immediate family. Getting any email from Fed or Jeff is a badge of honor.

A friend of mine just called me and offered me some comp prime tickets to the Rangers on Sunday.(against the blue Jackets???) The defending Cup finalists, fresh off beating the Isles last night, are a big draw and while it is fun going to a NHL game the hassle of driving to Manhattan, tolls, gas, parking, etc...even with COMP tickets ...I find myself preferring to watch the game at home. Even though this friend of mine used to get us into one of the sky boxes at the pre-renovated Garden ( at the time he worked for the NY TImes).

Now if people choose to stay home instead of seeing the Mets at Citi, they are considered not to be as loyal fans as the person who pays for 81 games. If the Mets were to somehow get to the WS or even the post season, I will watch them from the same exact place I watched them in 2006, and 2000....my living room.

A while back there was a discussion, mainly between myself and Doug on here. I had brought up that the cashless tolls installed at the Henry Hudson Bridge was a practice run for the East River Bridges. Guess what...I think I will be proved right. But even I did not see the proposed $8 toll to cross 60th street in Manhattan. Unreal.

While I think the Mets could win 87 games and could possibly make the post season, I will do it from the TV or the radio. I may try to see them in Pittsburgh, (no tolls on their bridges) but if NYC seems intent on keeping middle class folks out of the city, maybe I shouldn't fight city hall.

Since the Mets, who drew 2,148,808 in 2014 , have already seen a 19% sales increase they wont miss me at Citi. I'll just avoid the post game shows on SNY since Negative Nancy (Ojeda) won't be on the air as a killjoy.

It's weird. A majority of fans seem to despise the Wilpons but they have a freaky number of apologists considering what scum they are.

What puzzles me is how any fans could still believe:

a) The Wilpons are interested in building the best team possible

b) The general managers have control over major decisions.

In a weak division with a lot of games against bad teams the Mets have a schedule advantage. Against better competition I'd pick them to finish within a couple games of .500 either way. If the Braves and Phillies are as bad as they promise to be and the Marlins don't gel I could see the Mets win 85. If the Wilpons weren't intent on siphoning as much revenue as possible a real shortstop and another bullpen lefty could have meant a Wild Card.

Either way, if the mall's on schedule next off-season should be more active.

It's weird. A majority of fans seem to despise the Wilpons but they have a freaky number of apologists considering what scum they are.

In a weak division with a lot of games against bad teams the Mets have a schedule advantage. Against better competition I'd pick them to finish within a couple games of .500 either way. If the Braves and Phillies are as bad as they promise to be and the Marlins don't gel I could see the Mets win 85. If the Wilpons weren't intent on siphoning as much revenue as possible a real shortstop and another bullpen lefty could have meant a Wild Card.

I don't possibly see how anyone can think they are interested in building the best team possible. Can people actually be that blind? If they were interested in building the best team possible then they would have the best team possible.....and they don't.

The GM is a puppet on this team. The GM has ALWAYS been a puppet under the Wilpon regime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I don't possibly see how anyone can think they are interested in building the best team possible. Can people actually be that blind? If they were interested in building the best team possible then they would have the best team possible.....and they don't.

The GM is a puppet on this team. The GM has ALWAYS been a puppet under the Wilpon regime.
    Maybe best team possible within a budget too small for the market they play in?

Just another broad term that really doesn't mean anything. Statements like that are usually used to try to sway someones opinion or to make themselves sound correct.

We really have beaten this to death. The team finally has a talented team which can contend and all some can talk about is how they should have done more but can not articulate what that more is. There will always be some guy sitting in the stands complaining about something even though its a sunny day in the 80s and they are watching a game with friends and family. Human Nature is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Maybe best team possible within a budget too small for the market they play in?

Just another broad term that really doesn't mean anything. Statements like that are usually used to try to sway someones opinion or to make themselves sound correct.

We really have beaten this to death. The team finally has a talented team which can contend and all some can talk about is how they should have done more but can not articulate what that more is. There will always be some guy sitting in the stands complaining about something even though its a sunny day in the 80s and they are watching a game with friends and family. Human Nature is something else.
    You cant think that the Wilpons tried to put the best team that they possibly could on the field the past 6 years. Budget, no budget they have not been interested in playing October baseball. Its not too hard to see.

I can articulate all day long what they could have done and should have done because from my seat I am interested in the best team possible. Unlike the owners.

Yes in 2015 they should be better, and I expect them to be better. With that said until they are actually playing well and competing I am in wait and see mode. This team can just as easily fail as they can be better. Its not like they are chock full of talent and even in an off year they will be good. Far from it.

They still have too many if's offensively to be a sure fire contender for a WC spot. So obviously much of their success is going to depend on the pitching. We have Harvey back coming off of surgery....so we have questions there. Is deGrom for real? Is Wheeler the pitcher we saw in the 2nd half last year?

So to say the team is "finally talented" is taking a leap of faith. Yes this is the most optimistic we should be in the past 6 years but it doesn't mean anything yet because they have a lot to prove before they play a meaningful game in September.

I agree this has been beat to death...very true, but as much as it has been said others have countered the argument so it makes for talk while its snowing in February.

My schedule did not allow me to attend tonight. I guess I am not a TRUE Rangers fan since some folks claim the more expensive tickets make you more of a fan. This one ticket could buy a heap of Mets tickets up in steerage at Citi Field !
    When I read nonsense that having Mets season tickets somehow make one more of a fan than someone who doesn't, or that caesar's gold tickets make you a better fan than one in prom box, etc, I just shake my head.
    Some of the most die hard fans in NYC sports have sat in the blue seats at the garden, GA at Shea, the bleachers at Yankee Stadium etc....even if it was just a few times a year (or less). And some of the best , most loyal fans may just listen in on the radio.
    But to those who think their tickets make them better fans, well who am I to argue?

$1,080.00 ??? Why not just an even grand??
    Attached Images Attached Images

$1,080.00 ??? Why not just an even grand??
    Damn, you missed out. Those give you access to the 1879 club below the delta club, not to mention you get to sit rinkside. It could be an even grand like it used to be, but then how could they raise their prices each year??

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Damn, you missed out. Those give you access to the 1879 club below the delta club, not to mention you get to sit rinkside. It could be an even grand like it used to be, but then how could they raise their prices each year??
    My brother said the 1879 club was great, but the Delta Club was on par with YS Audi and much better than Citi's Acela. But $1,080 ?? However, he sat right behind the glass at the visitors penalty box and he said you do lose the other end of the ice at times. Plus you spent a good deal of time looking at the linesmen's back as he was perched waiting for the offsides.

Best tickets I sat in at MSG were in March 1985...honestly I sat with Mr and Mrs Howard Cosell, Mr and Mrs Sonny Werblin, and some honchos at MSG. Center ice, about 10 rows up. It was against the Penguins and Lemieux was a rookie. Besides the seats, 2 things stick out. 1) Werblin told Cosell he wanted to tear out the blue seats and get rid of the vulgar fans up there. This was at the height of the "Potvin Sucks" stuff .2) Cosell was shaking like a leaf. His voice was fine, but his hands were really trembling. He was actually very polite in person and not like his TV persona. (security at MSG was grilling me how I got those seats...a college kid with a girl I was dating at the time sitting the the owners)

Anyone, unlike some Mets fans that think the cost of the seats determines how much loyalty one has, I have had a blast sitting in the cheapest seats at any NYC venue. I have sat in the front rows of sections 17, 18, 19 in Delta Platinum (and access to Delta Lounge) and it doesn't make me any more devout than the person listening to the game on TV or radio. And it doesn't make me less of a fan than someone who has FST's either.

I haven't been to the YS Legends club yet, but I have been told it is light years above the Delta Lounge - which only has standing tables with ball park fare.

I am hoping to see the Mets at PNC in May...depends if my son stays at Pitt for some pre-med school research.

My brother said the 1879 club was great, but the Delta Club was on par with YS Audi and much better than Citi's Acela. But $1,080 ?? However, he sat right behind the glass at the visitors penalty box and he said you do lose the other end of the ice at times. Plus you spent a good deal of time looking at the linesmen's back as he was perched waiting for the offsides.

Best tickets I sat in at MSG were in March 1985...honestly I sat with Mr and Mrs Howard Cosell, Mr and Mrs Sonny Werblin, and some honchos at MSG. Center ice, about 10 rows up. It was against the Penguins and Lemieux was a rookie. Besides the seats, 2 things stick out. 1) Werblin told Cosell he wanted to tear out the blue seats and get rid of the vulgar fans up there. This was at the height of the "Potvin Sucks" stuff .2) Cosell was shaking like a leaf. His voice was fine, but his hands were really trembling. He was actually very polite in person and not like his TV persona. (security at MSG was grilling me how I got those seats...a college kid with a girl I was dating at the time sitting the the owners)

Anyone, unlike some Mets fans that think the cost of the seats determines how much loyalty one has, I have had a blast sitting in the cheapest seats at any NYC venue. I have sat in the front rows of sections 17, 18, 19 in Delta Platinum (and access to Delta Lounge) and it doesn't make me any more devout than the person listening to the game on TV or radio. And it doesn't make me less of a fan than someone who has FST's either.

I haven't been to the YS Legends club yet, but I have been told it is light years above the Delta Lounge - which only has standing tables with ball park fare.

I am hoping to see the Mets at PNC in May...depends if my son stays at Pitt for some pre-med school research.
    Great stuff - the Legends lounge at Yankee Stadium is generally the high standard for all-inclusive NYC stadium/arena clubs, but I will tell you that there is one that blows absolutely everything else out of the water. You have not lived until you've sat in the Commissioner's Club at Metlife Stadium. It is beyond anything you'll ever see in your lifetime short of marrying into Buckingham Palace. They have meat stations of every kind of cut you can imagine, every imported cheese you can think of. They have a different celebrity chef like Nobu or Calicio every week. When I was there is was the Tribeca Grill chef, they had black truffle pizza, Kobe Beef sliders, at least 20 stations of the highest end food you can ever imagine. The place is lined with mahogany wood panelling, leather couches, fireplaces, crazy stuff. They only sell to corporate firms / high net worth individuals by the suite, and I think the average ticket price works out to something stupid like $4000-5000 each. I picked up on stubhub for like $200, came from a hedge fund in midtown the secretary probably just threw them up there

Sandy cracks shortstop joke during jury duty:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ring-jury-duty
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Sandy cracks shortstop joke during jury duty:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ring-jury-duty
    Thats actually kind of funny in that situation

Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126