Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116
Results 2,876 to 2,887 of 2887

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

I made a mistake tonight (I changed my post upon review), as it turns out both "HRs" would have not counted under the old dimension. My position however still stands.... the decrease in field size has favored the visiting team more than the Mets... I will try to provide an analysis at season's end to fortify this position; in the meantime I will wait for the full data set to come in: Three years under the old dimensions vs. 3 years under the smaller dimensions; we already know that win-loss record will heavily favor the visitors, lets see what the HR tally is under the new dead zones....

(mandrake, stop bringing up your Yankee inferiority complex, I haven't brought them up in this context, and quite frankly its starting to look somewhat lame.
    Last edited by trepye; 08-27-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    I made a mistake tonight (I changed my post upon review), as it turns out both "HRs" would have not counted under the old dimension. My position however still stands.... the decrease in field size has favored the visiting team more than the Mets... I will try to provide an analysis at season's end to fortify this position; in the meantime I will wait for the full data set to come in: Three years under the old dimensions vs. 3 years under the smaller dimensions; we already know that win-loss record will heavily favor the visitors, lets see what the HR tally is under the new dead zones....

(mandrake, stop bringing up your Yankee inferiority complex, I haven't brought them up in this context, and quite frankly its starting to look somewhat lame.
    Why don't you wait until the Mets have a real major league roster then do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post

I am a Mets fan, have been for a long long time. On 9/19 it will be exactly 45 years since my parents took me to Shea for a DH against the Pirates (Ryan and McAndrew both got pounded).

However, being a Mets fan ...I can see through Mets fans taking cheap shots at the Yankees, usually something about a band box with a cheap right field. In 45 years of following Mets baseball, I see a huge inferiority complex from Mets fans towards the Yankees. I don't usually see it the other way around. In fact, the typical Yankees fan has apathy towards the Mets and sympathy for their suffering fan base.

I have always enjoyed going to see the Mets AND the Yankees. Home and away. Old stadiums and new. KC, LA, Philly, Anaheim, SD, etc.....If a NY team is playing in the same town I happen to be in,I go see them. This may come across as strange to some die hard, ahem, optimistic Mets fans, but I don't hate the Yankees. I root for the Mets in the subway series, but I never bought into the hate of the Yankees.

I presume you don't care for the Bronx Bombers, their Stadiums, and their RF fences. Holy Cow !

I was in the home of Yankee fans last night who I recently met and they asked me what baseball team I rooted for. I said the Mets and my other friend chimed in that I have season tickets. The Yankee fan said "You're the one who has season tickets ha ha ha, must be lonely". Thats not apathy or sympathy, thats a RIVALRY. Lets not pretend Yankee fans are apathetic towards the Mets. Some actually think Harvey and company can make inroads in our town.

Did Yankee fans root for the Red Sox to win the WS last year? I doubt it, they are rivals.
    Do Giants fan root on the Dodgers if they are eliminated? I doubt it, they are rivals.
    Cardinals fans and Cubs fans may be the biggest rivals of all but you never hear about Cubs fans feeling inferior to Cards fans.
    Last edited by LI METS FAN; 08-28-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    I was in the home of Yankee fans last night who I recently met and they asked me what baseball team I rooted for. I said the Mets and my other friend chimed in that I have season tickets. The Yankee fan said "You're the one who has season tickets ha ha ha, must be lonely". Thats not apathy or sympathy, thats a RIVALRY. Lets not pretend Yankee fans are apathetic towards the Mets. Some actually think Harvey and company can make inroads in our town.

Did Yankee fans root for the Red Sox to win the WS last year? I doubt it, they are rivals.
    Do Giants fan root on the Dodgers if they are eliminated? I doubt it, they are rivals.
    Cardinals fans and Cubs fans may be the biggest rivals of all but you never hear about Cubs fans feeling inferior to Cards fans.
    A rivalry ? I have read many posts on this very forum that there is no rivalry: namely, the Mets don't compete with the Yankees. And with all sarcasm aside that the Mets don't compete with the Yankees because the Mets don't play baseball in October, the Mets are in the National League. The Yankees are in the American League.

Giants and Dodgers...both in NL west, usually go head to head 18 times a year, sometimes more. They've been doing it for over a century. Ditto for the Red Sox and the Yankees. And I did experience the Cardinals-Cubs rivalry firsthand in college; the Cubs fans are jealous of the Cardinals , the Cardinal fans just laugh at the Cubs. Type "Cubs suck" on you tube, or on google.

The last time the Yankee fan base was even concerned about the Mets was in 2000, and we all know how that turned out. Even in 1986 many Yankee fans rooted for the Mets in the WS, and after the Buckner fiasco they made it part of "Yankee lore" somehow.....the Babe, Bucky, Buckner, and Boone.

There are some Mets fans who think the Yankee fans worry about the Mets......relax, they don't. They are worried about getting tickets to Derek Jeter day on 9/7, and worried about beating Detroit out for the 2nd wild card. Mets fans worry that the Yankees may make the post season. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    A rivalry ? I have read many posts on this very forum that there is no rivalry: namely, the Mets don't compete with the Yankees. And with all sarcasm aside that the Mets don't compete with the Yankees because the Mets don't play baseball in October, the Mets are in the National League. The Yankees are in the American League.

Giants and Dodgers...both in NL west, usually go head to head 18 times a year, sometimes more. They've been doing it for over a century. Ditto for the Red Sox and the Yankees. And I did experience the Cardinals-Cubs rivalry firsthand in college; the Cubs fans are jealous of the Cardinals , the Cardinal fans just laugh at the Cubs. Type "Cubs suck" on you tube, or on google.

The last time the Yankee fan base was even concerned about the Mets was in 2000, and we all know how that turned out. Even in 1986 many Yankee fans rooted for the Mets in the WS, and after the Buckner fiasco they made it part of "Yankee lore" somehow.....the Babe, Bucky, Buckner, and Boone.

There are some Mets fans who think the Yankee fans worry about the Mets......relax, they don't. They are worried about getting tickets to Derek Jeter day on 9/7, and worried about beating Detroit out for the 2nd wild card. Mets fans worry that the Yankees may make the post season. Big difference.
    Yankee fans aren't worried about the Mets in the terms of the better team.....that fact alone eliminates the word rivalry. There is no rivalry.

The Mets are the punch line of jokes made by Yankee fans such as the example given above by LIMETS "oh your the one". Now Yankee fans can be arrogant d&cks like anyone else. Many are.

With that said the Met fans were arrogant d&cks in the mid-late 80's when the Mets owned the city. So it all depends on who is good at the time. WHEN BOTH teams are good and play each other.....that's a rivalry. In the early 2000's the Yanks had THE BEST rivalry with the Red Sox. Now when they play....not so much. Its still there but not nearly like it was. Why? Neither are that good, and the Red Sox just blow this year.

So its not so much a rivalry, but more poking fun.

My point is that I have never experienced this "apathy and sympathy" of which you speak. Only barbs as if we've somehow failed the Yankee fan test and 2nd prize was being a Met fan. Newsflash- we've chosen the Mets.

And the youngsters who teased my son when he was young and wore a Mets shirt to school- it never gets old Yankee fans, hearing that METS means my entire team stinks. Yep, real apathy and sympathy even from the younger generation.

And they can't be that worried about getting tickets for Derek Jeter day on 9/7 since Stubhub has 6291 listings and the Ticket Exchange has 4620 tickets available. Almost 11,000 tickets available for Jeter day? No worries.
    Last edited by LI METS FAN; 08-28-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Yankee fans aren't worried about the Mets in the terms of the better team.....that fact alone eliminates the word rivalry. There is no rivalry.

The Mets are the punch line of jokes made by Yankee fans such as the example given above by LIMETS "oh your the one". Now Yankee fans can be arrogant d&cks like anyone else. Many are.

With that said the Met fans were arrogant d&cks in the mid-late 80's when the Mets owned the city. So it all depends on who is good at the time. WHEN BOTH teams are good and play each other.....that's a rivalry. In the early 2000's the Yanks had THE BEST rivalry with the Red Sox. Now when they play....not so much. Its still there but not nearly like it was. Why? Neither are that good, and the Red Sox just blow this year.

So its not so much a rivalry, but more poking fun.
    I respectfully disagree. I've been in downtown Chicago when the Cards are in town and if that isn't a rivalry I don't know the definition of the word. Best all time NL team vs well, the Cubs, for goodness sake.
    Last edited by LI METS FAN; 08-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am a Mets fan, have been for a long long time. On 9/19 it will be exactly 45 years since my parents took me to Shea for a DH against the Pirates (Ryan and McAndrew both got pounded).

However, being a Mets fan ...I can see through Mets fans taking cheap shots at the Yankees, usually something about a band box with a cheap right field. In 45 years of following Mets baseball, I see a huge inferiority complex from Mets fans towards the Yankees. I don't usually see it the other way around. In fact, the typical Yankees fan has apathy towards the Mets and sympathy for their suffering fan base.

I have always enjoyed going to see the Mets AND the Yankees. Home and away. Old stadiums and new. KC, LA, Philly, Anaheim, SD, etc.....If a NY team is playing in the same town I happen to be in,I go see them. This may come across as strange to some die hard, ahem, optimistic Mets fans, but I don't hate the Yankees. I root for the Mets in the subway series, but I never bought into the hate of the Yankees.

I presume you don't care for the Bronx Bombers, their Stadiums, and their RF fences. Holy Cow !
    Holy Cow? What does Harry Caray have to do with this!

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I've been in downtown Chicago when the Cards are in town and if that isn't a rivalry I don't know the definition of the word. Best all time NL team vs well, the Cubs, for goodness sake.
    Have you been in St Louis ? Rivalries have to be two way streets.....it is the second most one sided 'rivalry' in all of baseball. Cardinals fans invade Chicago, Cubs fans are practically invisible in St Louis. Even in the mid 1980's, Cardinal fans were more wary of the NY Mets (pond scum?) than the Cubbies.

Dodger -Giants, in my own personal opinion and experiences, is far more intense because it isn't one sided. Anyway.....I will agree that Cubs vs Cardinals is a better rivalry than Mets vs Yankees.. Mets vs Yankees is the most one sided in MLB.

Have you been in St Louis ? Rivalries have to be two way streets.....it is the second most one sided 'rivalry' in all of baseball. Cardinals fans invade Chicago, Cubs fans are practically invisible in St Louis. Even in the mid 1980's, Cardinal fans were more wary of the NY Mets (pond scum?) than the Cubbies.

Dodger -Giants, in my own personal opinion and experiences, is far more intense because it isn't one sided. Anyway.....I will agree that Cubs vs Cardinals is a better rivalry than Mets vs Yankees.. Mets vs Yankees is the most one sided in MLB.
    The LA/SF StL/Chi battle in the same division. The rivalry makes much more sense in those cases.

The Mets aren't rivals of the Yanks --- Met fans project this rivalry to gain some self importance about their team. People assume the rivalry because they share the same city, but honestly besides a couple of times (late 60's - mid 80's) have the Mets ever even been capable of being rivals of the Yankees?

In 2000 I was just hoping the blood splatter didn't go all over the place. The Yanks were far superior to the Mets in everyway possible in 2000. Although I wanted the Mets to win I knew it was going to be a very very long shot at best. I can still see Timo Perez dancing around the bases on Todd Zeile's off the wall double. Then Jeter throwing his lazy ass out at the plate. Ahhhhh good times.

Hell in the next game a Yankee pitcher threw a bat at one of our players and they all did nothing. Don't get me started on that one. Go take Karate lessons Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    The LA/SF StL/Chi battle in the same division. The rivalry makes much more sense in those cases.

The Mets aren't rivals of the Yanks --- Met fans project this rivalry to gain some self importance about their team. People assume the rivalry because they share the same city, but honestly besides a couple of times (late 60's - mid 80's) have the Mets ever even been capable of being rivals of the Yankees?

In 2000 I was just hoping the blood splatter didn't go all over the place. The Yanks were far superior to the Mets in everyway possible in 2000. Although I wanted the Mets to win I knew it was going to be a very very long shot at best. I can still see Timo Perez dancing around the bases on Todd Zeile's off the wall double. Then Jeter throwing his lazy ass out at the plate. Ahhhhh good times.

Hell in the next game a Yankee pitcher threw a bat at one of our players and they all did nothing. Don't get me started on that one. Go take Karate lessons Michael.
    Totally agree with you. I knew some Mets fans who wouldn't even come to work on the day of the NYY parade in 2000 because our office overlooked Broadway.

Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116