Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109
Results 2,701 to 2,714 of 2714

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    The Mets didn't release Farnsworth because they felt his poor Spring Training showed he wasn't good enough to make the team.

They released him because they were too cheap to pay him a $100k bonus for making the team.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/kyle-...h-re-sign-mets

Kyle Farnsworth to re-sign with the Mets
    Aaron Gleeman
    updated 10:15 am. EDT Mar. 24, 2014

Over the weekend the Mets released Kyle Farnsworth from his minor-league contract, but now Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the veteran reliever will re-sign with the Mets on another minor-league deal.

So why release him only to bring him right back? Because by doing so the Mets will be able to avoid paying him a $100,000 “retention” bonus that was part of the original contract.

Basically they told Farnsworth it wasn’t worth paying an extra $100,000 to keep him around, but they’d still like to keep him around if he let them do so without that money being involved. And, the options for a 37-year-old reliever being what they are in late March, he agreed.

They don't call them the Coupon Family for nothing.
    Or maybe they gave him an opportunity to sign with a big league club before resigning him to a minor league deal? I think thats why his agent was appreciative.

The NY Times and the Mets

Not my favorite paper, unless I was painting the kitchen......

But an interesting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/sp...=baseball&_r=1

Looking Adrift at Citi Field, Mets Keep Their Wallet Closed

Keeping a lid on player payrolls in the nation’s top market means different things to the Yankees and the Mets.

The Yankees feigned salary restraint for months to avoid a big luxury-tax hit — until they signed Masahiro Tanaka for $155 million.

But the Mets are acting with almost as much fiscal restraint as the Oakland Athletics and the Tampa Bay Rays, who lack modern stadiums or their own cable TV networks — factors that should enable the Mets to spend more freely. Instead, their 2014 payroll — somewhere short of $90 million — is not much different from last year’s. Yet the team is approaching this season with significant holes in its lineup that could have been addressed through free-agent acquisitions and might have improved the Mets’ long-shot chances to contend for a playoff spot.The payroll modesty continues even as the Mets — and the 29 other major league teams — will receive equal portions of new television contracts whose annual average payments are doubling this season to $1.5 billion from $750 million, and despite the recent refinancing of a $250 million loan, at a lower rate, that removes the pressure the Mets were under to repay it in full later this year. But even as money is looser and banks are no longer huffing and puffing at the door of the Mets co-owner Fred Wilpon, the Mets seem to be staying cautious about spending.
    Last week, General Manager Sandy Alderson said the team’s plan was “a consequence of trying to be somewhat prudent about the money we spend.” Later, he added, “Our goal is to spend money and add payroll every year, not just once every so often, as has been the case the last three or four years.”

It is understandable that Mets fans are restless and frustrated with this approach. Five consecutive losing seasons followed the revelation that Bernard L. Madoff’s multibillion-dollar swindle had devastated the finances of the Mets’ owners. Two years ago, the Mets settled a lawsuit filed by the trustee for Madoff’s victims that had sought as much as $1 billion, accusing Wilpon and others of being willfully blind to warnings that Madoff was engaged in wrongdoing. With that chapter closed, fans expected the Mets to again pursue elite players. Instead, the Mets have continued to stoke suspicions that they remain financially strapped.

“When are we going to shake off the Madoff hangover?” Jack Webb, a Mets fan who grew up in the Bronx and lives in Jacksonville, Fla., said at a spring training game last week. “I think they are holding off. They have a fiduciary responsibility to spend money. If it’s about the money, sell the team.”

His son, Eamon, added, “How long are you going to be a second-rate team in your own city?”
    At spring training last year, Wilpon said that the financial pain of the past was over and that real estate, the basis of his wealth, had turned “zimmo.” Soon enough, he promised, “the payroll will be commensurate with anything we’ve ever done, because we can do it.” Seven months later, Alderson declared that in 2014, “we will have more payroll flexibility than we’ve had since I’ve been here.”

The Mets’ front office has inadvertently fueled fan frustration with statements about improved financial health that, in retrospect, seem to have been overly rosy.
    But the flexibility that fans have seen amounts to reinvesting about $40 million in contractual obligations that came off their books after last season — the biggest item being the $25.5 million paid last year to the injured left-hander Johan Santana — in three new players. The Mets signed the slugging outfielder Curtis Granderson for $60 million over four years; the 40-year-old starter Bartolo Colon for $20 million over two years; and the veteran outfielder Chris Young for $7.25 million for one year. But that was it, although the roster could clearly use more help.
    Alderson said: “We’re trying to ladder our obligations so we can be in the market every year.”

The Mets would not respond to any specific financial questions.

The decision to remain prudent and not risk any of the new national TV money means two gaping holes are left in the infield. By not pursuing a credible free-agent first baseman like James Loney, who ultimately re-signed with the Rays, the Mets have chosen to stick with the underachieving Ike Davis and Lucas Duda. By not signing the free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew, who has evidently priced himself out of the Mets’ range, they are left with the disappointing Ruben Tejada.
    If the Mets appear to have a definable strategy, it is to build around pitching. Wilpon and Alderson envision the rise of a young, inexpensive staff that could be a dominant force for years. But for that to happen, Matt Harvey has to make a successful return from Tommy John surgery in 2015; Zack Wheeler has to build on his impressive rookie season; and the very promising minor leaguers Noah Syndergaard and Rafael Montero must show they can excel in the majors. Until then, the mainstays will be the ancient Colon, the young veteran Dillon Gee and the effective, but fragile, Jon Niese.

Perhaps Wilpon will not resume the aggressive spending of past years — the Mets’ payroll peaked at nearly $150 million in 2009 — until the pitching staff becomes an attraction that makes the team a contender and brings fans and revenue back to Citi Field.

The banks that are refinancing the $250 million loan will probably appreciate the Mets’ safe spending. Banks routinely refinance loans to sports teams that are seeking lower rates or additional money, and the Mets got the better rate from a syndicate of banks that was larger than the previous one — an indication that the team’s financial state has improved. In recent years, the Mets needed short-term bridge loans to finance losses and to provide working capital; the owners then had to sell shares to limited partners to raise money to repay the bridge loans and some of its longer-term debt.Brad Rangell, a former managing director of Citi Private Bank’s sports finance and advisory practice, said that when lenders assess whether to refinance a team’s loan, they look at the “overall credit quality of the team, the owners, and the track record of ownership actually doing what they said they were going to do: Have they met projections? How do they react when things go wrong?”

According to two people briefed on the terms of the Mets’ refinancing, the responsibility for making sure it is repaid will shift from a Mets holding company to Wilpon and Saul Katz, a co-owner and Wilpon’s brother-in-law. The banks required that they put up more collateral, provide personal guarantees of repayment and sign an ownership support agreement that compels them to use whatever assets are necessary to make sure the loan is paid. Ownership support agreements have become more widespread in baseball since the recession and the bankruptcy of the Texas Rangers.

The banks did not impose a salary cap on the Mets as a condition of the refinancing, but, as a practical matter, they did not have to. Raising payroll sharply to lure expensive free agents before attendance recovers is a formula to generate the sort of steep losses that peaked at $70 million for the Mets in 2011. Meanwhile, the drop in average attendance at Citi Field to 26,366 last season — it has fallen by 32.5 percent since the stadium opened in 2009 — has created a predictable downward spiral of ticket, parking and concession revenue.

There are no public profit-and-loss statements available for the Mets that would show the impact of selling fewer and fewer seats at the 42,000-seat ballpark. But a partial snapshot of Citi Field business — which excludes revenue from more than 30,000 seats and player payroll — is available in reports that the team files annually because the ballpark’s tax-exempt bonds were issued by New York City.

Those documents show that revenue from the stadium’s 10,635 most expensive seats has fallen 58 percent, to $41.8 million from $99.3 million in 2009. In that period, concession sales have decreased 29 percent and parking revenue has dropped 20 percent.

Luxury suite revenue inched up a bit to $8.9 million in 2013, but about 10 of the 49 suites — which initially rented for as much as $500,000 a season but cost more each season — are essentially out of circulation; they were given to the limited partners whose investments in 2012 helped repay some debt. The Mets could be hurt by not being able to rent those suites if the team’s fortunes turn positive, and also by any loss of suite holders who did not renew their rentals after their leases expired last season. (Lease lengths vary.)

Jodi Hecht, an analyst for Standard & Poor’s, said she had projected a drop in the 2014 cash flow earmarked to make the annual debt payments of about $43 million. The rating agency reaffirmed its BB rating — two levels below junk — of Citi Field bonds last December. But the agency lifted its formerly negative outlook on the bonds, based on the belief that cash flow will eventually stabilize.

In the stands, a negative assessment may persist. The Mets have won no more than 79 games in any of the past five years.

“They can’t spend enough,” Steve Attias, a Mets fan from Syosset, said during a game at Port St. Lucie last week. “You can’t expect to be on the back pages in New York if you’re not spending.”

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Those documents show that revenue from the stadium’s 10,635 most expensive seats has fallen 58 percent, to $41.8 million from $99.3 million in 2009. In that period, concession sales have decreased 29 percent and parking revenue has dropped 20 percent.
    Concession sales seem to correlate to overall attendance pretty closely. Those expensive lower bowl seats are doing much worse. I'm not surprised. I was saying they were a mistake back in 2008. Who did Fred, Jeff and Saul expect to buy them year in, year out? Certainly not the actual fan base.

I realize the lousy team is the biggest factor in the overall attendance drop, but I feel those corporate areas will continue to underperform even if the team improves. Drawing more rank and file fans would have been the smarter thing to focus on. Part of it is generating goodwill: The bigger and more energized the fan base, the higher the TV ratings. Even from a ballpark revenue perspective it would have been smarter.

Once someone enters the stadium they get sucked into the mall, so even the cheapest tickets equate to lots of money spent. The average fan dropped $125 a visit as of 2010. Instead of trying to draw as much volume as possible the stadium was configured to limit space for regular fans, paddock them in the nosebleeds, and waste most space on areas with unsustainable prices.

About the only thing more stupid and greedy they could have done was borrow $1 billion against the team to invest in a Ponzi scheme... Oh, wait!

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...ion-commitment

I don't understand a 10 year $292 million dollar deal for him. It males as much sense as Albert Pujols' contact with the Angels. Or Josh Hamilton with the Angels.

At least this one makes some sense, but he was only getting $1 million in 2014:http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...1445m-contract

Superstar outfielder Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels have agreed on a six-year deal, and sources say the deal is worth $144.5 million.

The team announced the deal late Friday night for what is generally seen as baseball's best all-around player.

The record deal for a player yet to get to the arbitration process will cover three arbitration years and three free-agent years. The deal will be viewed as a big win for the Angels, who need to keep their best player under contract as long as possible.

Trout will have the chance to hit the free-agent market at age 29, setting himself up for another megadeal, assuming he doesn't sign an another extension before then. Trout, 22, finished second to Miguel Cabrera in AL MVP voting the last two seasons.

Trout will make $1 million this year in a deal agreed upon a month ago. The six-year deal will begin in 2015.

Trout's agreement coincidentally comes on the same day the Tigers announced Cabrera's $248-million extension.

I know it will be a few years down the road, but someday Harvey , Wheeler, Montero, and company are going to be paid HUGE money from somebody.

Hope Harvey, Wheeler, Montero make big bucks. The lack of big offers to a young pitcher indicates they are on a Phil Hughes or Mike Pelfrey path.

I'm only going to post half Cerrone's quote because that's all that's necessary:

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/final-s...ls-5-mets-1-2/

MetsBlog’s Matthew Cerrone: ”I’ve heard Mets insiders dismiss their team’s high strike outs at the plate. They say, in an ideal world, it is off-set by outstanding defense and dominant pitching..."

What does an ideal world have to do with Mets world? No pitcher on the active roster is dominant and the defense is middling at best.

Who is this so-called "Mets insider" that the constant lies, lunacy and defamation is coming from? Is it one "insider" or a team of them? Someone should stand up and take responsibility for bizarre quotes like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I'm only going to post half Cerrone's quote because that's all that's necessary:

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/final-s...ls-5-mets-1-2/

MetsBlog’s Matthew Cerrone: ”I’ve heard Mets insiders dismiss their team’s high strike outs at the plate. They say, in an ideal world, it is off-set by outstanding defense and dominant pitching..."

What does an ideal world have to do with Mets world? No pitcher on the active roster is dominant and the defense is middling at best.

Who is this so-called "Mets insider" that the constant lies, lunacy and defamation is coming from? Is it one "insider" or a team of them? Someone should stand up and take responsibility for bizarre quotes like this.
    So strange. Was it only too predictable that Chris Young had to come out after a half inning. I understand an athlete will always want to be out there, but still the Mets long ago lost the benefit of the doubt.

As for the Ks that is just stupid. So having 0 chance of anything at all positive happening on about half their plate appearances is pooh poohed. I mean there's noone on base so they don't even have the benefit of "at least he didn't hit into a double play."

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    So strange. Was it only too predictable that Chris Young had to come out after a half inning. I understand an athlete will always want to be out there, but still the Mets long ago lost the benefit of the doubt.

As for the Ks that is just stupid. So having 0 chance of anything at all positive happening on about half their plate appearances is pooh poohed. I mean there's noone on base so they don't even have the benefit of "at least he didn't hit into a double play."
    If Chris Young injured his leg as easily as he did in the game, especially that his quad was in issue before the game, then he NEVER should have stepped on the field. Never. I don't blame him, like you said any player is going to want to give it a go. This team would find a way to destroy Mike Trout.

"Outstanding defense - Dominant pitching" - That's laughable. I think their defense is, as Mongoose said, middling at best.......as is their pitching. Maybe the younger pitchers can be dominant, but where are they?

Two collapses, followed by what will be at least 6 years of inept baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    If Chris Young injured his leg as easily as he did in the game, especially that his quad was in issue before the game, then he NEVER should have stepped on the field. Never. I don't blame him, like you said any player is going to want to give it a go. This team would find a way to destroy Mike Trout.

"Outstanding defense - Dominant pitching" - That's laughable. I think their defense is, as Mongoose said, middling at best.......as is their pitching. Maybe the younger pitchers can be dominant, but where are they?

Two collapses, followed by what will be at least 6 years of inept baseball.
    They have one really fine defensive player - Lagares - and one very good one, David Wright. That's it. What "outstanding" defense is that?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    They have one really fine defensive player - Lagares - and one very good one, David Wright. That's it. What "outstanding" defense is that?
    Travis D'arnaud

Blog Entries
    Travis D'arnaud
    Eh, I want him to succeed but two games two balls got past him. Maybe they were impossible, but they didn't look that way to my never caught an inning in my life beyond pickup eyes.

Travis D'arnaud
    Doesn't have the arm to be top tier, methinks - decent backstop though, you're right.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

I wonder if all this means de Blasio is planning on letting the Wilpons illegally build a shopping mall on public parkland?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1747176

This project and the attendant preservation of Wilpon ownership is one of the most shameful legacies of the last administration.

Overall the team has been performing a bit better than I expected the early part of the season. That's probably because my expectations were low. I've always felt Duda had ability. If Lagares can hit like he has so far he's a 5+ WAR player, which nobody expected. Not much effort is being made by the front office. As I've been saying for a couple years the target date for making an effort to win is probably around 2016, or a bit in advance of when the mall is supposed to open.

The Wilpons are shucking and jiving until then.

Here's an article pointing out one of their strategies for doing so:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1757814

Mets' endless talk of young arms becoming tiresome
    When 2014 was supposed to be the year the talk turned into results, instead the Mets are essentially asking their fans to sit through another frustrating season.
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 1:10 AM

The selling of the future continues for the Mets, even as another season has begun as widely predicted, with their spotty, strikeout-prone offense seemingly dooming this team to mediocrity in 2014, or perhaps a sixth straight losing record.

That is, unless they can figure out a way to smuggle the dreadful Diamondbacks into the NL East and play them 16 more times this season.

Otherwise, it’s all about waiting for the young pitching to save the franchise . . . someday.

You have to like what you’ve seen the last two nights from Zack Wheeler and Jenrry Mejia — although Mejia was forced out after five strong innings Tuesday night because of a blister — and you know about Noah Syndergaard and some of the others at Triple-A.

But sometimes the Mets just wear you out with the hype.

Consider that, for some reason, pitching coach Dan Warthen was recently quoted comparing minor-league lefthander Steve Matz to Clayton Kershaw.

Really?

Matz is a talented prospect, no doubt. A 22-year-old lefty from Long Island, he was the Mets’ second-round draft pick in 2009, and made a strong impression in his first big-league camp during spring training.

But Matz is only in Class-A St. Lucie, and the start of his pro career was delayed for two seasons by complications from Tommy John surgery.

Yet Warthen is likening him to perhaps the best pitcher in baseball?...

With the Mets' current practice of keeping prospects in the minors for service time reasons and the backlog of pitchers that should already be in the majors, I'd be surprised if we see Matz before he's 25 or older.

Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109