Page 124 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124
Results 3,076 to 3,089 of 3089

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

There was a discussion in the Citi tickets thread about Mets sales being up 19%. Since it could involve some tricky book keeping my the masters of the craft, I thought it would be better suited here.It started with Mongoose and RJSallstars , two of the elder statesmen on the forum:

I DVR Perry Mason on ME TV. Recently I saw the episode (the only one of 271) where he lost...only to win it on appeal. And that is how I felt when you (Mongoose) took this so called surge of Mets tickets at face value. Really, tickets are up nearly 20% ??? Really??? Wait one second here.....didn't the woman who used to be in charge of Mets tickets sales launch a sexual harassment / discrimination lawsuit at the Mets. Isn't this Jeff's opening salvo? Didn't anyone else smell a rat?

Mongoose, I expected the pom-pon squad to accept this surge; I expected you to break this case !

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...roll-stays-low

"The Mets are claiming a massive surge in ticket sales this off-season, even as the team's payroll remains tight.

Ticket sales are up 19.26 percent over last year, according to Mets executive vice president Lou DePaoli. The numbers represent what would be an astonishing outlier for a team that's failed to add any high-priced talent this offseason or post a winning record since 2008, the two primary drivers of attendance spikes for baseball teams.

And the reported surge in ticket sales would also seem to fly in the face of a promise by the team's financially troubled owners to increase payroll when revenue rose.

Why would the team invite such trouble with its fan base, after years of misleadingly sunny projections and unfulfilled spending pledges?

It makes sense, perhaps, in the context of a lawsuit against the team by a former Mets executive who was in charge of ticket sales, who the team claims to have fired for business reasons.

The former employee, Leigh Castergine, is suing Mets C.O.O. Jeff Wilpon and the team for alleged sexual discrimination stemming from her pregnancy during her time as executive vice president of ticket sales. A nearly 20 percent increase in ticket sales during the first offseason after Castergine undermines a claim in her lawsuit that the team's slashing of payroll and public lies about ability to spend created an impossible atmosphere in which to sell tickets. After all, those conditions haven't changed.

Official attendance is counted by the team, based on tickets sold, rather than who steps through the gate. And ultimately, teams can provide giveaways to pad those numbers accordingly. So there's little to stop the Mets from claiming attendance is whatever they want, no matter how many empty seats there are at Citi Field, and why there's often audible laughter in the press box when the attendance number is announced.

But DePaoli talked about "ticket sales", not "ticket giveaways." And 19.26 percent is a very big number.

Team revenue has been trending steadily downward, thanks to annual filings the team must make in conjunction with the roughly $43 million they pay annually to service debt against Citi Field.

According to those filings, the Mets saw overall revenue drop to $119.2 million in 2013. That's well off the $180.4 million from 2009, when Citi Field opened.

The team actually saw attendance rise slightly in 2014, 0.62 percent, to 2,148,808. But the numbers are similar enough that revenue almost certainly remained at similar levels, though we'll know for sure later this year when the Mets make their 2014 filing.
    If we assume that overall revenue, which includes parking, concessions, advertising, luxury suites, is moving in line with this apparent attendance jump, as it typically does for MLB teams, that would mean $23 million or so in new revenue.

And that would be a big positive, in terms of the owners' financial picture, which has been grim ever since their investments in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme evaporated.

But despite messaging going back several years from owner Fred Wilpon on down, that payroll would only rise beyond the bottom-fifth in baseball levels once fans came back, there's been no corresponding increase in payroll this winter.

"This is, to me, a break-even business," Wilpon said back in February 2013. "I always strive to break even. I'm not looking to make any money. I strive to break even. So if [fans] don't show up, that's hard. So you have to balance it."

The team payroll on Opening Day 2014 was just over $89 million. It's at around $96.7 million at the moment for 2015, by best estimates, and the Mets are actively looking to trade Dillon Gee and his $5.3 million salary to bring it down to right around $92 million, or a stone's throw from last season.

Then again, perhaps the Mets are right to be cautious until they've banked all that new cash from the massive jump in attendance, since there's no recent analogue for such a rise in recent MLB history, even among teams that pumped a ton of new money into payroll or experienced unexpected success.

The Seattle Mariners experienced the biggest jump in attendance in 2014, going from 1,761,546 in 2013 to 2,064,334, a rise of 302,788, or a jump of 17.1 percent, by far the biggest increase.

This didn't happen in a vacuum, though. The Mariners went out and paid Robinson Cano, the best player on the free agent market, $240 million over ten years. This came a few months after extending their best pitcher, Felix Hernandez, at $175 million over seven years. Other talent, like Kendry Morales, Fernando Rodney and Austin Jackson, came in as well. And the team went out and improved from 71 wins in 2013 to 87 wins in 2014.

A 19.26 percent jump in ticket sales means the Mets are projecting 2.56 million tickets sold in 2015. That would be a jump of 413,860 tickets sold, or 37 percent higher than the best-case scenario from 2014, a team that spent hundreds of millions to improve the team roster.

An email sent by another Mets executive, which was given to Capital, cited a number of games as "of highest demand", including Opening Day, Jacob deGrom Garden Gnome Giveaway Day on May 2, the Steve Miller Band postgame day June 27, Juan Lagares Bobblehead Day on July 11, and the Heart postgame concert day on July 25. But thanks to the handy select-a-seat technology on Mets.com—an innovation, incidentally, of Castergine's—it is possible to see that tickets are still available for all these games, in massive bunches, in virtually every price range.

Perhaps those tickets will be snapped up if the Mets have a particularly good season in 2015. But really, the winning is secondary, as it drives ticket sales. Payroll is most closely correlated to a jump in demand.

According to the Mets, they've managed the feat without having to spend the money, or win yet, perhaps the kind of economic miracle that might explain why the new baseball commissioner just made Fred Wilpon chairman of MLB's Finance Committee.

But those newly energized fans are probably going to be pretty upset when they figure out that even the absurd talking point from Wilpon to cover the real reason for a massive drop in spending on the team—the diversion of team and television revenue to finance Wilpon's parent company debt—didn't come to pass even when the team asserts that fans held up their end of the bargain.

Or as Fred Wilpon put it back in February 2013, "The payroll will be commensurate with anything we've ever done because we can do it. Remember, the people have to come to the ballpark obviously. If you have a competitive team, they will. Everything that was in the past, that you guys saw the pain that we went through, is gone. It's gone."

Clearly, even if you buy the team's new math, it's not. "

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...roll-stays-low

"The Mets are claiming a massive surge in ticket sales this off-season, even as the team's payroll remains tight.
    So much a for a wait and see approach.... Baseball is so strong in this town any move or pseudo-move can excite a fan base. And Adly and the Wilponzies will be laughing all-the-way to the bank. So long as this happened there will be no reason for them to change their practices; even if they perennially lose, as they have been.

Lets wait and see if these tix sell (on stubhub) for below or above face value in August and September
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Someone tell Fred to take a look at the Mariners. The attendance jumped up 17% AFTER -- not BEFORE they signed Robinson Cano and some other players.

Fred expects the fans to invest in his team before he improves it. It doesnt work that way.

Fred - just like the movie says "If you build it they will come". Fred doesnt get it. He thinks people are going to pay to look at his corn field with no players....in some cases he is right.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 01-23-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    So much a for a wait and see approach.... Baseball is so strong in this town any move or pseudo-move can excite a fan base. And Adly and the Wilponzies will be laughing all-the-way to the bank. So long as this happened there will be no reason for them to change their practices; even if they perennially lose, as they have been.

Lets wait and see if these tix sell (on stubhub) for below or above face value in August and September
    I think you missed the writer's main points. It's a lie. Ticket sales are not booming. Fred is worried that Jeff is in big trouble with his lawsuit. Therefore, they need to make a case that since Leigh was terminated, sales are booming. Leigh was fired over incompetence. Without her, sales took off 20% without them spending money. Amazing isn't it.

This is the reasoning of the community college kid Jeff. Leigh graduated from Wharton. Seriously, who do you think will self destruct in court. 16 hours of questioning. I just hope court TV or CNN headline shows it uninterrupted.

I pray that Leigh has evidence on her cell phone , tape recorder , or camera. If she does, Fred won't be able to protect Jeffie. He will finally have to man up.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    I think you missed the writer's main points. It's a lie. Ticket sales are not booming. Fred is worried that Jeff is in big trouble with his lawsuit. Therefore, they need to make a case that since Leigh was terminated, sales are booming. Leigh was fired over incompetence. Without her, sales took off 20% without them spending money. Amazing isn't it.

This is the reasoning of the community college kid Jeff. Leigh graduated from Wharton. Seriously, who do you think will self destruct in court. 16 hours of questioning. I just hope court TV or CNN headline shows it uninterrupted.

I pray that Leigh has evidence on her cell phone , tape recorder , or camera. If she does, Fred won't be able to protect Jeffie. He will finally have to man up.
    Totally - this about the suit and Jeff's upcoming deposition. Only gonna get worse, folks. I expect a very tough season, actually with a lot of ugliness.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Totally - this about the suit and Jeff's upcoming deposition. Only gonna get worse, folks. I expect a very tough season, actually with a lot of ugliness.
    I predicted they'd do nothing this off-season. I predicted it three years ago. I don't see the Wilpons reinvesting what they loot from the team annually until the mall's ready to for tenants. At that point they'll finally supplement what they have (mostly Omar's parts) and we'll hear about how the "Plan" worked, how wise they were to stay the course and they'll expect all the ugliness to be forgiven and forgotten.

It takes a special kind of person to bleed a big market sports team with a large, strong fan base for most of a decade and keep lying the whole time. Throw in the eminent domain abuse and raiding of public money and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

I still don't get why some people defend them.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I predicted they'd do nothing this off-season. I predicted it three years ago. I don't see the Wilpons reinvesting what they loot from the team annually until the mall's ready to for tenants. At that point they'll finally supplement what they have (mostly Omar's parts) and we'll hear about how the "Plan" worked, how wise they were to stay the course and they'll expect all the ugliness to be forgiven and forgotten.

It takes a special kind of person to bleed a big market sports team with a large, strong fan base for most of a decade and keep lying the whole time. Throw in the eminent domain abuse and raiding of public money and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

I still don't get why some people defend them.
    Right now all I can say is I hope your prediction is correct about investing in the 2016 team. They have already seemed to punt on 2015.

Personally I was hopeful for 2015...WAS is the operative word in that sentence. Up until now they have done the same crap with the one move (Cuddyer) and that's it. The sad thing is that they are really missing the window in 2015. The window doesn't stay open long and as we know from the way this scumbag runs the team he definitely is not interested in maintaining a winning team over the long haul. So you have to strike when the iron is hot, and they are passing up on that opportunity in 2015.

Now we can say what GM's players are on the team right now, but in 5 years we can revisit that and we will have different results.

As a side note...When the Mets signed K-Rod.....more directly is Minaya signed K-Rod they lost their first round pick in the following draft. That pick they lost cost them a player that was playing 50 miles from Citi Field that the whole world knew about........ That players name...... Mike Trout. KRod who was useless on a team that sucked. Gotta love it.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 01-25-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Right now all I can say is I hope your prediction is correct about investing in the 2016 team. They have already seemed to punt on 2015.

Personally I was hopeful for 2015...WAS is the operative word in that sentence. Up until now they have done the same crap with the one move (Cuddyer) and that's it. The sad thing is that they are really missing the window in 2015. The window doesn't stay open long and as we know from the way this scumbag runs the team he definitely is not interested in maintaining a winning team over the long haul. So you have to strike when the iron is hot, and they are passing up on that opportunity in 2015.

Now we can say what GM's players are on the team right now, but in 5 years we can revisit that and we will have different results.

As a side note...When the Mets signed K-Rod.....more directly is Minaya signed K-Rod they lost their first round pick in the following draft. That pick they lost cost them a player that was playing 50 miles from Citi Field that the whole world knew about........ That players name...... Mike Trout. KRod who was useless on a team that sucked. Gotta love it.

My thoughts exactly. The KC Royals took the shot at the brass ring, lost game 7, and now I really can't see them winning the pennant in 2015. They had that window, added a piece or two, but now I think it has passed.

Many Mets fans think the team lives in a bubble. As the Mets "progress' and all of these young hall of fame pitchers come up, they think the rest of MLB is just snoozing and waiting for the Mets to become a dynasty. Anyone really think the Dodgers are going to sit still and just watch the Mets blossom? Does the Cardinals track record suggest they are sitting there in awe and amazement at all of these superstars the Mets have? Even the Chicago Cubs, with a proven winner as GM, and a manager with a proven record (much better than Collins) are going to sit still and just marvel at the Mets?

The Mets should take their shot now. This season. If there is anything we should look at these past 5-6 seasons, it's that pitchers get hurt. They get hurt frequently. They get hurt across the spectrum. Other teams , like the Nats, Braves and Marlins all had to deal with this too.

I can't see anything, right now, that doesn't say Dodgers vs Cardinals for the 2015 pennant. 2016 will be the year of the Cubs. And 2016 should be the year Jeff Wilpon gets destroyed in court.

Alderson pokes fun at lack of SS addition:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...of-ss-addition
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Blog Entries

Everybody was happy when they signed K-Rod, right? Why? Because they were trying and they spent more than anyone else would. See how that works out sometimes.

I did and still would like this team to upgrade at SS and would be open to changing 2b if it could make them stronger up the middle. I constantly hear people complaining about this team not trying to get better. I follow the off season Hot Stove closely and cannot see where there was a deal that was a clear cut no brainier ? Tulowitski would have been a fantastic addition but should they have cleaned out the farm for him? Desmond would have been fine also. They wanted Syndergard AND another top prospect. Desmond is not perfect, his defense is average at best (sound familiar Flores haters). It did'nt seem like Starlin Castro was ever available either? Would Gregorius have worked? I don't know, I am sure some would have said they settled for him. Hanley is not a SS anymore, so he is out. It could be debated he would have fit in better than Cuddyer in the OF but he has never played out there, remember Juan Samuel? It seems like I am always trying to defend the teams management but I try to not only look at what should they do but what could they do. I do know that many of the same fans who cheer for a signing or trade in January are booing the hell out of the guy in May when he is not performing. They are also calling for the GM's head for making such a dumb move.

I would love to see a significant upgrade up the middle this year but if nothing happens I will root for Flores and Murphy. Maybe in June when we see Syndergard in his debut pitch lights out we will all be glad they did nothing. I know nobody wants to hear it but it may very well be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Alderson pokes fun at lack of SS addition:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...of-ss-addition
    Aldy again being a when all he is doing is coming off as a ...

I'm telling you the penny-pinching is not just a Wilpon ownership thing (we did have one the highest payrolls in baseball at one point) it is ABSOLUTELY an Aldy thing as well. As bad as the Madoff thing was for them the network would have kept them well above float they just weren't willing to decrease their buffer funds for the sake of fielding a competitive team when Aldy proposed being their stupid little pied piper in this endeavor.
    Exhibit A (per link):
    When the Mets brought in Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Yankees added Masahiro Tanaka a year ago, Alderson joked: “We each signed Japanese pitchers this week. They’re paying $155 million and we’re paying our guy month to month.”

He sold them a bill of goods on being able to build a team on the cheap. And IT IS WORKING because they are hedging on a small payroll/talent level on this team that the bare amount of fans that have been attending these past 3 seasons allows them to make a profit no matter what. I know its hard because we all love baseball but we can at least remove the mindset of this idiot-GM by not watching and attending or purchasing anything NY Mets, invoke the democratic principles of capitalism.

He is such a joke of a GM he keeps hiding behind the dollars and cents when players like Reyes could and SHOULD have been re-signed (at the fans' vehement behest)... now he can get away with joking about a problem he created. So long as they remain profitable under Aldy they have no incentive to bring about accountability the way they bring it the fences to imbue less talented baseball players.

Joke.
    Last edited by trepye; 01-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Aldy again being a when all he is doing is coming off as a ...

I'm telling you the penny-pinching is not just a Wilpon ownership thing (we did have one the highest payrolls in baseball at one point) it is ABSOLUTELY an Aldy thing as well. As bad as the Madoff thing was for them the network would have kept them well above float they just weren't willing to decrease their buffer funds for the sake of fielding a competitive team when Aldy proposed being their stupid little pied piper in this endeavor.
    Exhibit A (per link):
    When the Mets brought in Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Yankees added Masahiro Tanaka a year ago, Alderson joked: “We each signed Japanese pitchers this week. They’re paying $155 million and we’re paying our guy month to month.”

He sold them a bill of goods on being able to build a team on the cheap. And IT IS WORKING because they are hedging on a small payroll/talent level on this team that the bare amount of fans that have been attending these past 3 seasons allows them to make a profit no matter what. I know its hard because we all love baseball but we can at least remove the mindset of this idiot-GM by not watching and attending or purchasing anything NY Mets, invoke the democratic principles of capitalism.

He is such a joke of a GM he keeps hiding behind the dollars and cents when players like Reyes could and SHOULD have been re-signed (at the fans' vehement behest)... now he can get away with joking about a problem he created. So long as they remain profitable under Aldy they have no incentive to bring about accountability the way they bring it the fences to imbue less talented baseball players.

Joke.
    Although I disagree 100% where the lack of spending is coming from, and the whole fence thing, Alderson is a douche bag nonetheless.

To joke about that is just a big "F- YOU" the fans.

I wish the fans had enough in their jock straps to say F -YOU back.

Although I disagree 100% where the lack of spending is coming from, and the whole fence thing, Alderson is a douche bag nonetheless.

To joke about that is just a big "F- YOU" the fans.

I wish the fans had enough in their jock straps to say F -YOU back.
    Why would he joke about it if it wasnt coming from him and on-board with this crappy mindset???

Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Why would he joke about it if it wasnt coming from him and on-board with this crappy mindset???
    Alderson doesnt determine the budget. Is he on board with the low payroll penny pinching ways of the worst owner in sports? Honestly I dont know and neither does anyone else on this forum. Worse than that it doesnt matter if he is on board with it or not. Thats the way it is like it or not. So in that aspect he knows no matter how he feels he may as well accept what it is or quit. He is not quitting.

As far as him joking about it - like I said its a douche move because it just goes to show how out of touch the Mets as an organization are with their fan base.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 01-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Page 124 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124