Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    That is why I hope as a Met fan that this team takes a huge down turn. Thats right ...I said it. I dont want them to win another game until August. I say this because I am Mets fan. Winning today and then again on Thursday and giving everyone hope isnt going to help. Because hope will put butts in seats and we need the exact opposite to happen. As long as butts are in seats and these two are running the team nothing will change because the machine is making money. I want to watch the game on TV and hear the echo of Ralph the foam finger guy yelling because the ballpark is that empty.

Say what you want about Steinbrenner, yes he was off the charts crazy in his day, and he was an absolute lunatic. With that said..the Yankees winning was always a priority to him. He didnt know enough about baseball to always make that happen, but he was always willing to do whatever was necessary to try and get there.
    Amen, the Wilpons need to pay. The idea that he wants to buy the Islanders instead of invest the money in his own baseball team is the reason why NY is a Yankee town and will be that for years to come. The Yankees do what is possible to win. They develop their prospects and they will get the big free agents to join them. We spend little to no money on the draft and that is why sans Ike Davis, Jenry Mejia and a few others we have a wasteland of a farm system. That is why the Yankees in the last 15 years have 5 championships and we have none. This ownership is all about the cash money and nothing else.
    Last edited by milladrive; 05-18-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: removed profanity
    Just call me a sports fan.

I think it is time for big changes...Omar, Jerry, and the coaches all need to go. As fans, we need the Wilpons to ok 150 mil payroll (currently $126). The Mets need 3 starting pitchers... a legit power bat, a solid 8th inning guy, maybe they need a closer too..we will see, a better right handed bat off the bench. The Mets need to be able to get by with 11 pitchers and have an extra bench guy. The Mets need Beltran back healthy.

Frenchy, Bay, Wright and Barajas are too may free swingers for one lineup.... too many K's. Once in a while they deliver but too frequently they dont. One gets a hit - the rest strike out...Next time up another one gets a hit and the rest strike out. The Mets leave a small city worth of people on base as a result. Eventhough I like all of them, one or two may need to be replaced to increase consistent production.

All the pitchers,except maybe Santana, walk too many guys...we need pitchers who throw strikes. This aspect is bordering on ridiculous with the Mets.

The Mets still need a legit number 2 SP. I know there are fans who say that is Pelfrey. IMHO - NO WAY is that Pelfrey. At best right now he is a 3, again, at best. Maybe some day but not now. He is very good in April, however.

Bottom Line - I think a lot has to be done to get the Mets on a consistent, solid, winning track. It doesn't mean this team cant go on a streak once in a while (the last one as a lotof fun) but then they fall back to earth again. I would prefer a complete retooling to the rollercoaster ride.

Quote Originally Posted by LostMet View Post
    I think it is time for big changes...Omar, Jerry, and the coaches all need to go. As fans, we need the Wilpons to ok 150 mil payroll (currently $126). The Mets need 3 starting pitchers... a legit power bat, a solid 8th inning guy, maybe they need a closer too..we will see, a better right handed bat off the bench. The Mets need to be able to get by with 11 pitchers and have an extra bench guy. The Mets need Beltran back healthy.

Frenchy, Bay, Wright and Barajas are too may free swingers for one lineup.... too many K's. Once in a while they deliver but too frequently they dont. One gets a hit - the rest strike out...Next time up another one gets a hit and the rest strike out. The Mets leave a small city worth of people on base as a result. Eventhough I like all of them, one or two may need to be replaced to increase consistent production.

All the pitchers,except maybe Santana, walk too many guys...we need pitchers who throw strikes. This aspect is bordering on ridiculous with the Mets.

The Mets still need a legit number 2 SP. I know there are fans who say that is Pelfrey. IMHO - NO WAY is that Pelfrey. At best right now he is a 3, again, at best. Maybe some day but not now. He is very good in April, however.

Bottom Line - I think a lot has to be done to get the Mets on a consistent, solid, winning track. It doesn't mean this team cant go on a streak once in a while (the last one as a lotof fun) but then they fall back to earth again. I would prefer a complete retooling to the rollercoaster ride.
    There have been many posts on this forum, but I cant remember one that I AGREE with more than this one.

The inability of this lineup as a whole to work a pitcher and get their pitch count up is amazing. I know again I will be met with much resistance on this but when Francouer comes up I change the channel. I would love to face a lineup full of Frenchy's. The .643 OPS speaks for itself. Sorry Milladrive.

Besides that I have nothing to add. Your post hits the nail on the head.

Where have you gone Keith Hernandez? He'd be perfect for this team.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Where have you gone Keith Hernandez? He'd be perfect for this team.
    Yes he would be. A true leader. Actually perfect for any team.

Can you imagine David Wright telling the catcher "if you call for one more fastball we are fighting right here" as Hernandez told Gary Carter on the field in game 6 of the 1986 playoffs?. Nobody on this team has one iota of leadership qualitites.

I have fantasy to keep me interested as well. Still, it's not even close to the passion I have for the Mets (except for maybe when my team makes the playoffs). I agree with a lot of what's been said and completely agree that the hierarchy of fault should be 1. Omar, 2. Wilpons, 3. Jerry.

Bottom line is this team isn't that good.
    A fish stinks from the head down. Sell the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn'55 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what's been said and completely agree that the hierarchy of fault should be 1. Omar, 2. Wilpons, 3. Jerry.
    Like I said in the original post, Fred and Jeff make all the decisions that matter with this team. Managers exist for the GM to blame; GMs exist for the Wilpons to blame. That is the organizational flow chart.

A tiny case in point: by getting rid of Wagner and Putz, about $16 million in payroll was shed in pitchers alone. I'm sure Omar would have been happy to sign someone besides R.A. Dickey and Kelvim Escobar with that savings. It seems Jeff had other uses for that money and Omar's hands were tied.

I noticed the headline on the back page of the Post today calling for Jerry's head. It's the same idiotic charade as usual and I have contempt for those elements of the media that play along with this tiresome theater. Jerry has taken what's debatably a .500 team to a .500 record so far this year; it could be much worse. I put blaming Omar in the same category. Open your eyes! He mostly has veterans signing minimum salary/Minor League contracts to work with. Every Spring Training washed up veterans descend on Port St. Lucie like the Senior Baseball League has been relaunched there. The second highest revenue stream in the sport and Omar's forced to root through garbage cans like a bum! Fred and Jeff Wilpon are 100% to blame for this.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Every Spring Training washed up veterans descend on Port St. Lucie like the Senior Baseball League has been relaunched there.
    Though really I should be crying or banging my head against a wall, but it is a funny line nonetheless.
    Last edited by PVNICK; 05-18-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Like I said in the original post, Fred and Jeff make all the decisions that matter with this team. Managers exist for the GM to blame; GMs exist for the Wilpons to blame. That is the organizational flow chart. .
    I give Omar more blame than Fred and Jeff b/c they at least gave him money to work with. Omar has been usurped for sure since the end of last year but a lot of what we have today is because of him.

In case some of you were preoccupied following the Mets' non-moves at the trading deadline, here's a disgusting tid-bit you might have missed:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/l...etirement-fund

"Lawsuit: Fred Wilpon Vaporized $16 Million Retirement Fund", which is a pretty catchy headline. Or, as CNBC puts it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38495492

NY Mets Owner Wilpon Sued by Madoff Victims
    Published: Friday, 30 Jul 2010 | 7:15 PM ET

By: Reuters

New York Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon was sued on Friday over alleged losses suffered by retirement plan participants at his firm Sterling Equities.

The complaint filed Friday in Manhattan federal court said Sterling invested $16.2 million, or 92 percent, of the 401(k) plan's $17.6 million of assets with convicted Ponzi-schemer Bernie Madoff.

It accused Wilpon and two other plan trustees of breaching their fiduciary duties to plan participants by mishandling investments with Madoff and his firm Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.

The complaint seeks class-action status on behalf of plan participants, a number it estimates in the hundreds. There were 267 participants at the start of 2008, the complaint said.

Lawyers for the plaintiff and Sterling did not immediately return calls seeking comment. A call to Wilpon's office was not immediately returned.

The complaint was filed by Elyse Goldweber, a New Yorker who said she had $280,420 invested in her late husband's individual 401(k) plan. A majority of this sum was invested directly with Madoff and has been "wiped out," she said.

"While defendant Wilpon has been quoted as claiming that he and his business family are 'fine,' his loyal employees (many of whom had previously been laid off) have lost their retirement savings," apart from some insurance money that "does not come close" to covering losses, the complaint said.

The lawsuit seeks to recover losses arising from the defendants' breaches, and other remedies.

In October 2009, Irving Picard, the court-appointed trustee liquidating Madoff's investment firm, said Mets LP, a team affiliate, withdrew $47.8 million more from Madoff's firm than it put in. Picard has been trying to recover money from such former clients, whom he considers "net winners."

Madoff, 72, was arrested on Dec. 11, 2008, and pleaded guilty three months later to running an estimated $65 billion Ponzi scheme. He is serving a 150-year sentence in a North Carolina federal prison.

The case is Goldweber v. Sterling Equities Associates et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 10-05786.
    Copyright 2010 Reuters.

Bottom line: It appears Fred managed to slime his way out of the Madoff debacle and withdraw his money, winding up $50 million ahead. His employees, however, were thrown under the bus and had almost all their retirement funds stolen. Mandrake, who is one of the more savvy posters here, has often speculated that Fred was in on the scheme in some measure, which is how he managed to wind up with a tidy profit. Unfortunately, he didn't bother to do for his employees what he did for himself and left their money with Madoff.

One would hope clawback deprives Fred of any ill-gotten gain he might have pocketed and provides restitution to the victims. One would also hope it forces him to sell the team. Nevertheless, Fred is getting a free $3 billion neighborhood built for him across 126th Street and somehow has the funds to buy the Islanders, so maybe he knows something everybody else doesn't. Perhaps he is somehow untouchable.

It'd be nice to know how Wilpon & Son have the money to buy the Islanders, but don't have a cent of salary to take on at the trading deadline.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 08-02-2010 at 12:35 AM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

According to the NY Post the new Cosmos soccer club is looking to court the Wilpons to create a new MLS franchise with the name Cosmos to play in NYC. Wonder if there is $ for that expendature?

Pride?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRaM7AFMA

Video of George Steinbrenner talking about his team. Just once I'd like to hear anything similar to what The Boss said here, (go to 1:00 mark). I was reluctant to believe that ownership was the main reason for the Mets failures/embarassment but I'm pretty much convinced of it now. We get nothing but lip service from the brass who plays us like absolute fools. I'm proud to say I've not spent a dime on Mets tickets this year. Same as I've not purchased a Knicks or Ranger ticket in the last three years (and very few over the last ten).

"We'll build a team around pitching and defense"
    "We're in good financial shape"
    "We'll add players to the team as needed"

I'd have more respect for this organization if they'd just tell the truth:

"Yes, we were affected by the Madoff scandal"
    "We cannot add to payroll so we have to win with what we got"
    We do not want to give up prospects because we have a bright future if we put the right pieces in place"
    "We're not happy with how we're playing but we're committed to winning"

At the beginning of the year I said my biggest fear was the Mets becoming indifferent... Now my biggest concern is signing Darrelle Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn'55 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRaM7AFMA

Video of George Steinbrenner talking about his team. Just once I'd like to hear anything similar to what The Boss said here, (go to 1:00 mark). I was reluctant to believe that ownership was the main reason for the Mets failures/embarassment but I'm pretty much convinced of it now. We get nothing but lip service from the brass who plays us like absolute fools. I'm proud to say I've not spent a dime on Mets tickets this year. Same as I've not purchased a Knicks or Ranger ticket in the last three years (and very few over the last ten).

"We'll build a team around pitching and defense"
    "We're in good financial shape"
    "We'll add players to the team as needed"

I'd have more respect for this organization if they'd just tell the truth:

"Yes, we were affected by the Madoff scandal"
    "We cannot add to payroll so we have to win with what we got"
    We do not want to give up prospects because we have a bright future if we put the right pieces in place"
    "We're not happy with how we're playing but we're committed to winning"

At the beginning of the year I said my biggest fear was the Mets becoming indifferent... Now my biggest concern is signing Darrelle Revis.
    I love it!

Steinbrenner was also a nut case and did some unsavory things along the way (Howie Spira), but his priority was winning. Always.

I love that you have his line in your signature. "Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser". People on this forum will knock George because he owned the Yanks and he was a bit nutty at times, but I wish he owned the Mets. Thats all I can say when comparing the two.

It always starts at the top. I have worked in a few different companies in my life. Some ran a tight ship and expected a lot from their employees, others were more laid back. Who do you think had better production? I dont think its any different with any job. Most people are self motivated BUT knowing how your boss will feel can up the ante. You are also so right that we are played like fools. Which kind of pisses me off. When read on here or anywhere that "we can win" , "we have the team to do it", "you gotta believe" etc etc. Thats the fans putting more of their hearts in the team than the ownership/management does. They put money in no doubt, but they are banking on throwing a worm and a hook in the water and fans taking the bait. They lay the money out but lets not forget the fans pay it back and then some.

George laid the money out, got it back.......only to lay it out again.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 08-02-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Why couldnt Steinbrenner own the New York Mets? Why is this god-awful loser Wilpon still the owner? Steinbrenner wanted to win and invested all of his time and money and resources to do it. I dont care what crazy things he did, he did it in the spirit of winning and making that team's fanbase proud. Wilpon does nothing to make this team better. He is a cheap you know what in the draft, hence our minor leagues are so thin in terms of talent. He never puts money into his team like Steinbrenner. He put his money and fortunes into the hands of a crook instead of our team. He rather buy the crappy Islanders than make this team better. This is what we get. A team that loses to the barrel scrapers of the Majors like the D-Backs and the Marlins. A team that chokes two years in a row without heads rolling. A team that goes through scandals like the Bernazard scandal. It is painful every year that we have to sit back as the Yankees have Canyon of Heroes parade after Canyon of Heroes parade while we are losing and getting mocked by the media and ESPN and the newspapers. Only when this owner sells to a intelligent Met fan loving owner will this team get out of the basement.
    Just call me a sports fan.

Can't you see next years logo, "Where Mediocrity is rewarded"?

The most frustrating thing is that they're half-assed. I'd almost prefer a complete mess than this consistent mediocrity. An organization should always be looking to build a long-term contender. Only the Yankees can buy guys every year if they muck up an offseason. The Mets bs us with this we're looking to win at all costs, then remain quiet when the opportunities arise.

The Red Sox are the closest thing to the Yankees and they know when to step back and ride out a season without a playoff appearance. They can sell their fans on a sacrifice now for long term mentality because their honest about it. I'm glad the Mets didn't sabotage themselves by picking up a Lilly or Oswalt. They just need to get someone in here who can build around a strong base. It's not like we're the Pirates.

SP - Santana, Pelfrey, Niese
    Ike, Reyes, Wright, Thole, Beltran, Bay and Pagan

That's enough to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
    Why couldnt Steinbrenner own the New York Mets? Why is this god-awful loser Wilpon still the owner? Steinbrenner wanted to win and invested all of his time and money and resources to do it. I dont care what crazy things he did, he did it in the spirit of winning and making that team's fanbase proud. Wilpon does nothing to make this team better. He is a cheap you know what in the draft, hence our minor leagues are so thin in terms of talent. He never puts money into his team like Steinbrenner. He put his money and fortunes into the hands of a crook instead of our team. He rather buy the crappy Islanders than make this team better. This is what we get. A team that loses to the barrel scrapers of the Majors like the D-Backs and the Marlins. A team that chokes two years in a row without heads rolling. A team that goes through scandals like the Bernazard scandal. It is painful every year that we have to sit back as the Yankees have Canyon of Heroes parade after Canyon of Heroes parade while we are losing and getting mocked by the media and ESPN and the newspapers. Only when this owner sells to a intelligent Met fan loving owner will this team get out of the basement.
    My sentiments exactly.

Back when the Yanks won 4 in 5 years (1996-2000), with the last one at the Mets expense, I was so tired of seeing the annual parade from my office window that I thought that the Mets should be forced to clean up all of the ticker tape after the parade. Every time the Yankees have a parade, the Mets front office and maybe even the players...and definitely the fans who keep making excuses for them....all of them should grab brooms and shovels and clean up the mess as the NYY fans laugh !

The longest WS drought in NYC NL history , and people on BF make excuses year after year.
    I joined this forum in 2006, and the excuses just keep on coming.

Wasn't Brooklyn from forever until 1955?

I'm happy Steinbrenner never owned the Mets. The Wilpon's aren't cheap. The Mets minor league system isn't barren.

They do need to make some changes. Manuel must go. Probably Omar too. Clear out some of the dead wood (Castillo, Ollie, Francouer, Cora). Add a SP and fix up the pen.
    Last edited by metfan13; 08-03-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    I'm happy Steinbrennar never owned the Mets. The Wilpon's aren't cheap. The Mets minor league system isn't barren.

They do need to make some changes. Manuel must go. Probably Omar too. Clear out some of the dead wood (Castillo, Ollie, Francouer, Cora). Add a SP and fix up the pen.
    Thats funny. Do this..do that..then do the other thing. Yeah no kidding. Who is going to do it? In your assessment you need to put Omar in front of Jerry on the must go list, but before any of them the Wilpons must go. The Wilpons are not cheap, just dont have a clue how to run a team, and have someone as clueless as they are GM'ing the team, then they have a subpar manager managing the team, then they have subpar players playing for the team. Great combination.

It all starts at the top, and the Mets are the Headless Horseman. I can see not wanting George running the team on some level..he made it a circus in many instances. No doubt. Since he bought the team the Yanks have 7 WS wins...the Mets have 1. Something to be said for that....no?

The Mets need to make moves no doubt, but they have needed that for 4 years now and havent made them. The Wilpons are not willing to go out and spend what needs to be spent, and do what needs to be done to bring a WS champion to Citi. Its obvious. I dont know why you still expect it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Thats funny. Do this..do that..then do the other thing. Yeah no kidding. Who is going to do it? In your assessment you need to put Omar in front of Jerry on the must go list, but before any of them the Wilpons must go. The Wilpons are not cheap, just dont have a clue how to run a team, and have someone as clueless as they are GM'ing the team, then they have a subpar manager managing the team, then they have subpar players playing for the team. Great combination.

It all starts at the top, and the Mets are the Headless Horseman. I can see not wanting George running the team on some level..he made it a circus in many instances. No doubt. Since he bought the team the Yanks have 7 WS wins...the Mets have 1. Something to be said for that....no?

The Mets need to make moves no doubt, but they have needed that for 4 years now and havent made them. The Wilpons are not willing to go out and spend what needs to be spent, and do what needs to be done to bring a WS champion to Citi. Its obvious. I dont know why you still expect it to happen.
    Because a fan can reasonably call for the manager and GM to go, but "demanding" that the owners go is kind of pointless. They like owning the team, they're not going to sell. So complaining about the owners doesn't get me anywhere. It's not a realistic target for improving the team. It's not going to happen this offseason, or any time soon. So why bother?

Because a fan can reasonably call for the manager and GM to go, but "demanding" that the owners go is kind of pointless. They like owning the team, they're not going to sell. So complaining about the owners doesn't get me anywhere. It's not a realistic target for improving the team. It's not going to happen this offseason, or any time soon. So why bother?
    I dont know maybe because you have been bothering to figure out ways to fix this team...and they havent happened either................so now I ask you why bother?

I believe I said they do need to make changes. So those would/could happen in the relatively near future, like this offseason. Kind of different than calling for ownership change. But I think you know that.

But I think you know that.
    No need to worry there.

I believe I said they do need to make changes. So those would/could happen in the relatively near future, like this offseason. Kind of different than calling for ownership change. But I think you know that.
    That was my point. They have needed to make changes for a few years now, and havent done it. Could they happen sure...but I think a change in ownership will happen before the correct moves are made.

Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast