Page 3 of 171 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mets Ownership / Management Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tomzpc View Post
    Gardenhire came up in the early 80's, spent a few years with the team and then was never heard from again as a player. He was a below average fielding shortstop who couldn't hit a lick.
    You're right. But he is one helluva manager !

And I remember him running Pete Rose over. A couple of days after that play, I saw a Rose interview where he said he loved 'that kid's attitude'.

I would take Gardenhire as Mets manager today. Heck, I'd pick him up at the airport !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    You're right. But he is one helluva manager !

And I remember him running Pete Rose over. A couple of days after that play, I saw a Rose interview where he said he loved 'that kid's attitude'.

I would take Gardenhire as Mets manager today. Heck, I'd pick him up at the airport !!!!
    I would LOVE Gardenhire as manager. Jerry Manuel is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tomzpc View Post
    I would LOVE Gardenhire as manager.
    Sure, but he's my second choice. His old platoon partner is out there and he's the best ML manager without a job. Wally Backman.
    This brings us back to what mongoose said in the TS. I'll never happen and the reason why is the basic problem with the francise.

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    I must be the only one left who believes in Murph. I still think he is a ballplayer.
    Nope. You are not the only one. Despite his struggles I continue to be very impressed by the way he handles himself at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisonit View Post
    Sure, but he's my second choice. His old platoon partner is out there and he's the best ML manager without a job. Wally Backman.
    This brings us back to what mongoose said in the TS. I'll never happen and the reason why is the basic problem with the francise.
    People generally stick with names that are the most obvious, but there is another name that would appeal to many Mets fans. He goes by the name of Crazy Horse.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...h-crazy-horse/

How do you know he's the best ML manager? He never managed a major league team for even an inning.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Any truth to the rumor that Manuel is gonna give Francoeur a blow tonight and put Tatis in RF?
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

I know Matt and Evan aren't really loved in these parts but if this is true, it's really scary:

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/07/10/n...too-much-work/

And they really have no reason to lie.

BTW, I'll give Omar a lil credit for the Frenchy trade. Church was done here (even though it prob wasn't his fault) so to get a right-handed 25 year-old OF with 25 HR potential and a good glove for him isn't really so bad. Plus it shuffles the cards a bit, which can't hurt.

Now if we could only add Backman to the mix and put Nails in as his bench coach we'd really have somethin cookin.

Wild Boys 4ever!
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

I'm not going to take Evans comment seriously. You don't know how long ago he asked and who he asked.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    I'm not going to take Evans comment seriously. You don't know how long ago he asked and who he asked.
    I agree. I did hear Evan on air state what has been reported, but you don't know who he asked or if there was more to the answer than is known...

How many teams have old-timer's day? And how tough is it to coordinate the schedules of 20 to 40 players to come to NY? It might be extremely difficult to coordinate. And what if Seaver says "no" because he is in the middle of harvesting his grapes? Then what? What if Koosman is busy fighting Income tax evasion, and Ryan is scouting players in teh Texas League. Many players have lives, coordinating schedules could be a disaster, frustrating, and a lot of work that doesn't work out in the end.

The Yankees Old Timers day used to be very very special when Joe D and Mickey and Scooter, etc would come on to the field, but even now it is not as interesting. I heard some of the names the other day...I forgot who they were...but the majority were pointless. Jerry Narron? Wow.

There are enough guys out there to field a decent team. We can even fill the rest out with former Giants and Dodgers. I'll take the B level celebs too. Gimme a Tuefel, Brogna, Sasser, Gilkey etc...

Why not?
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn'55 View Post
    There are enough guys out there to field a decent team. We can even fill the rest out with former Giants and Dodgers. I'll take the B level celebs too. Gimme a Tuefel, Brogna, Sasser, Gilkey etc...

Why not?
    Well, I'll take the other side of the coin...Gilkey? Why?

Why not?
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Why not?
    Because he probably took roids in 1996, along with Hundley, etc.

Everyone was on roids. Any old timers day with players from the steriod era should be sponsored by Balco. I don't condone it but I've moved past it. Can't do anything about it now.

That said, all I meant was if the Mets put together an Old Timers Day, I'm sure they'll get a lot of big names, if they have to go to the B-list to fill out the rest, so be it.

I don't think many Mets fans would be opposed to seeing the likes of Todd Pratt, Ventura, Zeile, Franco, Milan, Staub, Mazilli, Orosco, etc...

It's better than Big Crunch Day.
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

That said, all I meant was if the Mets put together an Old Timers Day, I'm sure they'll get a lot of big names, if they have to go to the B-list to fill out the rest, so be it.
    Most Met old timers are b-list guys and that's just fine. They were our guys and we loved them. Except Richie Hebner.

When the Mets had Old-Timers Day during the Payson era early-mid 70's it was a thrill. Great memories.

Most Met old timers are b-list guys and that's just fine. They were our guys and we loved them.
    Yup. And that's why it'll always work. Why ownership is against it is beyond understanding.
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Yup. And that's why it'll always work. Why ownership is against it is beyond understanding.
    It's simple, when it comes to baseball they're morons.

Quote Originally Posted by LostMet View Post
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by LostMet View Post
    Maybe that's why they continue to wear the ugliest caps in baseball. There is absolutely nothing worse than the black hat with the blue fin. At least Cincy wears a red hat with a black fin (not that it's nice but at least it emphasizes their team color).

What part of blue and orange is so hard to understand? It's not like they're trotting out some nasty green and yellow combo like the old Minnesota North Stars.
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Page 3 of 171 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast