View Poll Results: Do you have any baseball superstitions that you observe?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 60.53%
  • No

15 39.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superstitious?

Talking Superstitious?

Do you have any baseball superstitions?

Stevie Wonder wrote:
    Very superstitious, writing's on the wall,
    Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall,
    Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
    Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
    Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain't the way

Very superstitious, wash your face and hands,
    Rid me of the problem, do all that you can,
    Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin' strong,
    You don't wanna save me, sad is my song.

Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh.

Very superstitious, nothin' more to say,
    Very superstitious, the devil's on his way,
    Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass,
    Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past

Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no
    <YankeeMan is dancing -- not a pretty sight >

superstitions

this is kinda weird, but every time this year, before I start a game, I eat 2 ice cubes, and it works, i'm having a great season. Also in my warmups I always throw fast-fast-fast-curve-fast, i decided one day to try something different and I ended up losing that game, giving up 2 Hr's.

I always got dressed the same way before every game.

If I started the game on the mound, you would see me during batting practice (after my turn, of course )with a pair of headphones on, staring off into space...

Always, always jump over the foul line on my way back to the dugout, especially if I'm pitching.

Nothing on the order of the infamous chicken, though .
    I'm NickG, and I approve this message.

Home page

"In God we trust, all else must have data."
    -- Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson

Before I ever post anything on this site I perform a religious ceremony involving a giant squeegee, a Tibetin mountain llama, and about 5 gallons of Pepto Bismol. One time I inadvertently poured the Pepto incorrectly and made Choo Choo Coleman instantly materialize in my bathtub. Needless to say, the man was not happy about that.

Commish, I think you're cracking up...

...or at least cracking me up!!

Before Sammy ever did it, I would run to my post in centerfield full speed. I did this to bring in good karma. I thought that if I always gave it my all, I would some day get it all. I never got it.

But I do love that Stevie Wonder song. My buddies play it at every gig, and my youngest son always dances around like YankeeMan whenever he hears it.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

If the Mets and/or Yankees are winning, I won't go to the bathroom until the game's over...AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!
    "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

Originally posted by MetsFan11368
    If the Mets and/or Yankees are winning, I won't go to the bathroom until the game's over...AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!
    Good thing you never have to hold it in when you're watching Mets games.

Originally posted by Sandman
    Good thing you never have to hold it in when you're watching Mets games.

AND Benitez is pitching....
    "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

I guess you just don't go at all during the current Subway Series.
    Still lurks the BBF.

When the Tigers are playing I HAVE to wear my lucky cap!

On game day I have to get dressed the same way everytime, I have to listen to the same song before the game to get me pumped up and when I am warming up my arm to start pitching I have to throw to my catcher! I won't pitch unless I am throwing to my catcher!
    THE ROAR IS RESTORED!!!

Go Tigers Go!!!

Brandon Inge is a SUPERSTUD

Originally posted by TigerNut
    When the Tigers are playing I HAVE to wear my lucky cap!

I'd hate to tell you this but....perhaps your lucky cap isn't so lucky?
    Still lurks the BBF.

Originally posted by Hank Aaron
    I guess you just don't go at all during the current Subway Series.
    He has the first half of the first inning in Yankee Stadium, maybe 10 seconds of the first inning in Shea Stadium.

11368 stands for the zip code for Shea Stadium

Originally posted by Hank Aaron
    I'd hate to tell you this but....perhaps your lucky cap isn't so lucky?

LoL maybe not but you can't blame me for trying! at least I am loyal right?
    THE ROAR IS RESTORED!!!

Go Tigers Go!!!

Brandon Inge is a SUPERSTUD

whats the point you make your own bad luck

Section 232, Row 1, Seat 24, Miller Park, Miller Park Way
    I have a couple superstitions. I never put my leg guards on until after all 3 of our outs are recorded. I think it's kinda like already condeming our team. Another, I always sit by our pitcher on the bench so we can talk about the approach for next inning. I don't know if you could that superstition or not.
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

FlashinTheLeather Guest
    I ALWAYS dress left first then right, for example, I always put my left socks on before I put on my right socks. I ALWAYS wear two pairs. Every sport. Every event. Always left before right. For baseball games during the summer, I get my under items on (Sliding shorts, cup, jock) 2 1/2 hours before the game, go out in the yard (living out in the country is an advantage) and stretch my legs. Then I put on my pants, left leg first, mind you, and then my shirt.

As for the game, I always jump over the line. When I am ump to bat and the batter's box is on the other side, I ALWAYS go behind the umpire. I then do my vintage Viņa batting stance. and that is my superstition.

No. Knock on wood.

Bob

Originally posted by drillerman
    whats the point you make your own bad luck
    If your superstition isn't working, try something different. Turn the cap around, or wear a team shirt instead of a cap. Maybe your lucky cap is really a jinx.

Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no

That's the first song I sang doing karaoke. I couldn't quite get as high as Stevie Wonder did on his scream, though. And the people were just staring at me while I did my Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar solo imitation.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Originally posted by Hay Fever
    [B]
    I'd just like to say that there isn't enough written on this forum about Bob Murphy, who I consider one of the best baseball announcers in baseball, and certainly a long-time favorite of New York Mets fans.

A Mets game wouldn't be a Mets game without Bob Murphy on the radio (he used to be on T.V., too, of course, and occasionally still does).
    Or anywhere else, for that matter. Maybe the fact that he spends most of his time behind the mike has something to do with it. I loved the old system WOR used to have where Kiner, Nelson and Murphy would rotate between the TV booth and the radio every 3 innings and they'd all get a chance to do a little of both. And last but not least, Kiner's Korner after the game interviewing members of the winning team. It didn't get any better than that!

~Mickey Mantle

Originally posted by Sandman
    He has the first half of the first inning in Yankee Stadium, maybe 10 seconds of the first inning in Shea Stadium.
    Of course, all bets are off if....

1) The Mets/NYY are playing against each other or
    2) The game goes into extra innings.

One thing I'm not, is a masochist.......

~Mickey Mantle

This has happened to me many times, and I guess it's come to be sort of a superstition.

The Twins are on, I have to miss the first few innings, due to one thing or another. I come back to find the twins are doing great, we've hit a couple homers, our pitcher is pitching a gem. I'm glad I got back in time to watch at least most of it.
    However, soon after I start watching, our pitcher starts giving up homeruns, the players start making errors.
    At this point I figure that they did better when I wasn't watching, so I leave. They usually win when this happens =)

Originally posted by insanefishpossay
    ...soon after I start watching, our pitcher starts giving up homeruns, the players start making errors.
    At this point I figure that they did better when I wasn't watching, so I leave. They usually win when this happens =)
    Maybe you should just check the box score the next day. The Twins might win it all if you quit jinxing them.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Talking What happened?

...where'd your pretty Yankee digs go Racosun? Tisk tisk.

Re: What happened?

Originally posted by YankeeMan
    ...where'd your pretty Yankee digs go Racosun? Tisk tisk.
    I chucked 'em in the trash, along with some used toilet paper and the rest of the Tigers season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast