Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shared Franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    That game drew a wonderful crowd (23,454), was played in 2 hours and 1 minute. I was ten. Dad and I both wore our Dodger caps and sat behind 1st base. I had two hot dogs, two cokes and one ice cream cup (vanilla and chocolate). Purchased my '56 Dodger yearbook that night too. I remember the parking lot (at least where pop parked) was dirt. Frank Robinson batted SECOND in the Reds' lineup and homered off Newcombe for Cincy's only run.
    .......still have the yearbook............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Inside Roosevelt Stadium....................(concourse)
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

We sat in section3 that night (July 25,1956)

Quote Originally Posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    ...get 'em close first we'll worry about da rest later....
    Ah, yes, but how close it close enough? Here's an idea--how about switching franchises with Pittsburgh? The Pittsburgh Dodgers--that's only what, a 5-6 hour drive?

Roosevelt Stadium in color.....................

The "shared" franchise thingy ain't gonna happen. The closest thing we're able to enjoy would be a "throwback game" at CitiField with the Mets wearing their pinstriped home uni's and the Dodgers wearing "Brooklyn" grays with a "B" on their caps.

That game drew a wonderful crowd (23,454), was played in 2 hours and 1 minute. I was ten. Dad and I both wore our Dodger caps and sat behind 1st base. I had two hot dogs, two cokes and one ice cream cup (vanilla and chocolate). Purchased my '56 Dodger yearbook that night too. I remember the parking lot (at least where pop parked) was dirt. Frank Robinson batted SECOND in the Reds' lineup and homered off Newcombe for Cincy's only run.
    Someone came into my father's office that morning and gave him 4 free tickets. My dad called my mother, and a few hours later my family was off to Roosevelt Stadium! It was my first baseball game. We sat down the right field line, about 10 rows behind the Dodger bull pen. When Labine warmed up in the 8th inning, my brother ran down to the fence, leaned over, and swiped Clem's warm up towel. My mom was not happy. When the game went into the bottom of the ninth tied, she expressed concern about how long we might be there, and then---POW---the Duke launches one over the right center field wall and the Dodgers win, 2-1! I can still see the ball clearing the wall. It was great!! As I told Jnakamura, it seemed most everyone was cheering for the Dodgers at Roosevelt Stadium.

We left the park and walked the street with many Cincinnat Red Legs, still in uniform, headed to their bus across the street. I still have the ticket stub and Dodger World Championship pennant I bought that night. It turned out to be my only Brooklyn Dodger game, although I probably watched a couple of hundred on TV.

So as I said, I could live with New Jersey Dodgers, as they have a history playing there.
    It certainly is a much better name than Los Angeles Dodgers, don't you think?
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 08-04-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

Here's Duke Snider wearing a "shared franchise" cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
    Someone came into my father's office that morning and gave him 4 free tickets. My dad called my mother, and a few hours later my family was off to Roosevelt Stadium! It was my first baseball game. We sat down the right field line, about 10 rows behind the Dodger bull pen. When Labine warmed up in the 8th inning, my brother ran down to the fence, leaned over, and swiped Clem's warm up towel. My mom was not happy. When the game went into the bottom of the ninth tied, she expressed concern on how long we would be there, and then---POW---the Duke launches one over the right center field wall and the Dodgers win, 2-1! I can still see the ball clearing the wall. It was great!! As I told Jnakamura, it seemed most everyone was cheering for the Dodgers at Roosevelt Stadium.

We left the park and walked the street with many Cincinnat Red Legs, still in uniform, who were headed to their team bus across the street. I still have the ticket stub and Dodger World Championship pennant I bought that night. It turned out to be my only Brooklyn Dodger game, although I probably watched a couple of hundred on TV.

So as I said, I could live with New Jersey Dodgers, as they have a history playing there.
    It certainly is a much better name than Los Angeles Dodgers, don't you think?
    The Dodgers will never move anywhere in our lifetime. BUT, if they did move to New Jersey, they would most certainly (re-)become the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
    Also, it's the same pennant I bought at the game (and still have).
    Let's Go Mets!

I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
    You can tell from that photo that it was 1956 (World Champion pennant from the previous season), and it must have been chilly (the way the fans are dressed). Cool pic.

The wall in front of the fan wearing the white cap was the Dodgers' bullpen.

You can tell from that photo that it was 1956 (World Champion pennant from the previous season), and it must have been chilly (the way the fans are dressed). Cool pic.
    Funny you mention that. I remember my mother asking how the opposing player at first base (Big Klu) could wear no sleeves at all, as it was so chilly.

Hmmmm, could this picture be from the game played on 7/25//56?
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 08-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Let's Go Mets!

Hmmmm, could this picture be from the game played on 7/25//56?
    No such luck. I just double checked and it's from April 19, 1956
    Let's Go Mets!

No such luck. I just double checked and it's from April 19, 1956
    You know, I was gonna guess April. It appears rather cold for the latter part of July.

The shared franchise will happen the same day Milwaukee gives Seattle the Pilots back.

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Ah, yes, but how close it close enough? Here's an idea--how about switching franchises with Pittsburgh? The Pittsburgh Dodgers--that's only what, a 5-6 hour drive?
    And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.

Roosevelt Stadium/Dodger trivia:
    *Carl Furillo hit the 1st Dodger HR there.
    *Frank Robinson hit the very first HR there.
    *Both Furillo and Robinson's HR's were hit at the July 25,1956 game (Snider's was the 3rd)
    *The Pirates never made it to JC in 1957. The Phillies played there twice that summer.
    *The Dodgers played the Cleveland Indians (1956 exhibition) there and Sal Maglie pitched for the Indians (Bob Feller too).

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyhop View Post
    The shared franchise will happen the same day Milwaukee gives Seattle the Pilots back.
    I agree...........it ain't happenin'

Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.
    Bwahahaha - Funny man you are.

Actually, Pittsburgh would get the Dodgers, the Pirates would move to Tampa (They'd have the Buccaneers and Pirates), L.A. would get the Rays (More sunshine in L.A. then in Tampa) and the Yankees would move here to Portland, Oregon, just for the hell of it.

Since NY would be left with one team, the Mets would change their name to the Modgerankees.

Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    Los Angeles Pirates! That is a good one. It made me laugh.

If a Brooklyn Dodger franchise is desirable, it would have to be a "new" one; but it would be cool if they could--just like the Cleveland Browns did--win back all the "rights" to the "old" team.

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Bwahahaha - Funny man you are.

Actually, Pittsburgh would get the Dodgers, the Pirates would move to Tampa (They'd have the Buccaneers and Pirates), L.A. would get the Rays (More sunshine in L.A. then in Tampa) and the Yankees would move here to Portland, Oregon, just for the hell of it.

Since NY would be left with one team, the Mets would change their name to the Modgerankees.
    Whatever it is that your smoking, you need to quit.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Quote Originally Posted by BornthedaythebumswontheWS View Post
    Los Angeles Pirates! That is a good one. It made me laugh.

If a Brooklyn Dodger franchise is desirable, it would have to be a "new" one; but it would be cool if they could--just like the Cleveland Browns did--win back all the "rights" to the "old" team.
    The Browns didn't win back the rights, they retained the rights.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Quote Originally Posted by tonypug View Post
    Whatever it is that your smoking, you need to quit.
    I got a PM from the moderator asking me to not "get personal".

I would ask that the same rules and courtesy be applied to you as well.

Or am I expected to fight with both hands behind my back while you are free to punch?

Quote Originally Posted by tonypug View Post
    The Browns didn't win back the rights, they retained the rights.
    OK, that's true. But they did have to go to court over it. The Baltimore Ravens became, essentially, an "expansion" team.

I can imagine that you guys in NY would love to see that happen to the "LA Dodgers"!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast